Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3070379 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17835 on: June 09, 2014, 01:44:28 pm »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:23:46 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17836 on: June 09, 2014, 01:56:49 pm »

Oh thank god, other people like Vegeta ._.
Sure, he's a jerk sometimes. But he's the best kind of jerk.

He's hilarious! He's an angry jumped-up moper by the standard of Goku's friends and an raging genocidal shitbag by the standard of any normal person. Perfect setup for comedy! And gore!
Sorta-relevant: What's your opinion on TFS's version of Vegeta?
The greatest character of all goddamn time, that's what I think.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17837 on: June 09, 2014, 02:34:40 pm »

ignore
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17838 on: June 09, 2014, 02:56:39 pm »

ignore

hey guys how many cute girls saying "no" should i put in this post

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17839 on: June 09, 2014, 03:14:28 pm »

ignore

hey guys how many cute girls saying "no" should i put in this post
All of them
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17840 on: June 09, 2014, 03:56:37 pm »

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 07:23:41 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17841 on: June 09, 2014, 04:10:58 pm »

Actually, return Q, since you asked--how do you feel about TFS Vegeta?
Pretty much the same: They emphasized the badass aspects but so far seem to have ditched the character development. Though to be fair, character development has been altered or dropped for much of the cast to keep the whole thing abridged.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17842 on: June 09, 2014, 04:14:24 pm »

fanfiction-style perceptions

These are the worst.

In the eyes of most fanfiction, Dumbledore is the evil mastermind with maniacal tendencies. It's really weird to see how fanon characterizations have nothing in common with actual characters. And these false characterizations are surprisingly persistent.
._.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17843 on: June 09, 2014, 05:21:01 pm »

fanfiction-style perceptions

These are the worst.

In the eyes of most fanfiction, Dumbledore is the evil mastermind with maniacal tendencies. It's really weird to see how fanon characterizations have nothing in common with actual characters. And these false characterizations are surprisingly persistent.

That's a pretty big generalization, I've seen quite a few really interesting alternative character interpretations. The "Light Wizard in Name Only" Dumbledore is a pretty specific type, and is symptomatic of a larger issue, given that it tends to crop up in the fix-fics where Harry goes Godmode Sue. There's actually an interesting parallel between Dumbledore and another old grandfatherly mentor figure from another overrated series: the Third Hokage of Naruto. Both are old, in positions of authority, and are somewhat distant caretakers for the central hero, who suffers abuse in spite of the good intentions of the old man. Likewise, both are famous for deeds of their youth and are well past their prime, both are basically getting too old to do their jobs properly but don't have any suitable replacements, and both are ultimately killed as part of a major turning point in the tone of the series. The only difference is the way the idiot-fan portrayals tend: the latter tends to be cast as incompetent rather than evil, which is about as accurate.

tl;dr it's not a problem with fanfiction, but with bad fanfiction. When you get writers and readers who either can't or don't want to tackle the complexity of all characters and would rather play with the particular set of cardboard cutouts that suit their personal fantasies, that's what happens. The competent writers with few exceptions (which they themselves will often explicitly note) don't, and that's one of the most recognizable differences between fanfiction that is or is not readable.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17844 on: June 10, 2014, 06:02:06 am »

Most Fanfiction is sort of like a "What If", they are about how they spin the characters.

The reason why Dumbledore is constantly turned evil or a manipulator in fanfiction is... because in the books he does almost nothing BUT constantly manipulate everyone, albeit for more altruistic reasons, and rarely steps in to help even in life or death situations in spite always knowing what is happening.

The competent writers with few exceptions (which they themselves will often explicitly note) don't

Heck the last Harry Potter Fanfiction I read actually has a lot more interesting, vibrant, and down to earth, Hermione (or rather I like their Hermione more then the books)... and the POINT of that Fanfiction was that everyone's personality was derailed. It starts off with everyone being cardboard cut outs, in fact a few are (Since the fanfiction was about all the Harry Potter characters being fanfiction facsimiles of themselves who were slowly forced to become more 2-dimensional and then 3-dimensional).

The sign of incompetent writers to me isn't whether or not they use cardboard cut outs. It tends to be whether or not the fiction sort of goes out of its way to play out its theme. Does it, for example, make a character younger JUST so they are within the age range of our lead? Does it make one character evil because they were antagonistic towards the character focused in the fanfiction?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17846 on: June 10, 2014, 11:30:10 am »

Of course they had to start the video with Ichirin Kujo.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17847 on: June 11, 2014, 10:48:40 am »

Spoiler: Squee! (click to show/hide)
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17848 on: June 11, 2014, 02:54:03 pm »

PLEASE PLEASE Gunpla do not make the owner of the SD Gundam a woman.

If the owner of the SD Gundam isn't a woman I will forgo ALL sexism complaints about Season 2.

And I mean it too, I'll be over the moon if they stop treating SD Gundam as some kiddy junk relegated to female characters because "well girls like cute stuff".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 02:56:54 pm by Neonivek »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17849 on: June 11, 2014, 02:58:17 pm »

wait, theres SD gundam in that show O_o
the horror
Pages: 1 ... 1188 1189 [1190] 1191 1192 ... 2193