Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1139 1140 [1141] 1142 1143 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067378 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17100 on: April 16, 2014, 02:24:22 pm »

As I said in the IRC channel, at some point it stops being fanservice and becomes a way of life.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17101 on: April 16, 2014, 02:28:48 pm »

At least it's not trying to pretend that sexualization doesn't exist. Instead of "that chainmail bikini is totally appropriate protection gear and nobody will bat an eye when a girl wears it everywhere" we get "batshit crazy organisation has its members wear batshit crazy transforming uniforms and the heroine fights them with an even more batshit crazy living sailor fuku and everybody comments on how skimpy and batshit crazy it is".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:56:34 pm by Knit tie »

Dzedajus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17102 on: April 16, 2014, 02:42:19 pm »

This is exactly why I liked klk, but somewhere in second part trigger lost their way.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17103 on: April 16, 2014, 03:00:39 pm »

Hey guys, I have two new manga to share with you, both sharing a common theme;
Characters removed from the Common world and entering that of a Fantasy style world...

Now we know a few of those but these are interesting, so anyway lets get down to the blurbs...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

No Game No Life - http://mangafox.me/manga/no_game_no_life/

Warning - NSFW, passable, but still not a good idea with some scenes...

Blurb : A set of Infamous gamers have stirred up the Gaming world, alone they defeated a whole Guild of over 1000 units, with just the four of them. Lead by one known as [ ] (Read as Blank). Even against hackers they defeated them by pure skill, who are these four players.... Actually its just two, each duel boxing. They are NEET (Not Employed, Education or Training) and  Hikikomori (Socially Withdrawn) Siblings, both genius in their ways. A Brother and Younger Sister who are so highly skilled they see the world as nothing more then a Shit game,, unable to exist here correctly as if they were born in the wrong world and their true skills and abilities give them nothing but backlash and animosity from the rest of the world. Contacted by a Being that calls himself "God" they are summoned to another, where by the rulling of God, War as been Forbidden. Everything is to be Settled with games. Even National Border disputes. Here they find that of a Fantasy world of many Races and the Human Species driven into a corner by the others, down to their last city and their Throne currently being decided by a Grand Tournament of Gaming as per wish of the last King...

Thoughts - Surprisingly, this is quite good, the concept of a world where everything decided by games, even down to Highway Robbery, leads to an interesting premise. Its still young with only 6 Chapters and 2 Episodes of Anime aired, but it caught my attention.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Drifters - http://mangafox.me/manga/drifters/

Warning - Violence, lots of it.

Blurb - We start off in the Sengoku Jedai, the time after that of Hidiyoshi has passed and the Time of Waring States have come back, the Battle of Sekigahaha. Toyohisa Shimazu is facing down that of the Tokugawa Army, allowing a much time for his Uncle is to retreat and return to Satsuma. Leading what is left of their decimated army, Toyohisa fights, through spear and blade and past gunfire he cuts down that of the opposing general, only to find himself heavily wounded. With the foes retreating and his Uncle escaped, he beings his walk only to find himself in a strange corridor covered in doorways. A Man sitting behind a desk covered in paperwork, when question he doesn't respond, he only marks down something leaving Toyohisa to find himself flung through a door and passout. Soon though he finds himself saved by two young men with pointy long ears, speaking a strange language, taken to a Ruined Castle where he is restored to health by two others who speak Japanese, two famous people, Oda and Yoichi. Two men who had died long ago, or have they...
In a Fantasy like world where Elves, Dwarves and other races live, they find themselves there, as Drifters. A Dark army of Moster Races has started a large push from the north and even the Humans who have long subjugated the Demihumans is cracking from its strength, lead by a man known as Black King/Lord. Added by those known as Offscourings, Ends, those by the name of Hijkata Toshizo, the Maid of Orieans and Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova. Those that died when the world turned their back on them...
One Group will be the Saviours, the other the Destroyers...

Summery - OMFG WHY IS THERE NOT MORE OF THIS! I WANT MORE GIVE ME MORE DAMN I GOT THE TO MOST RECENT CHAPTER! TRANSLATE MORE, FUCK I NEED TO LEARN JAPANESE! ODA INTRODUCES MUSKETS TO THE WORLD AND THE DWARVES MAKE THEM!, OMG IS THAT BUTCH CASAIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID! HANNIBAL AND SCIPIO! SO MANY FAMOUS WARRIORS/GENERALS! WHY ARE YOU NOT READING THIS YET!!!

EDIT: By the way, Drifters is done by the same guy that did Hellsing, if that helps you to read this, then I don't know what would.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 03:03:03 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Dzedajus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17104 on: April 16, 2014, 03:05:34 pm »

No game, no life looks really interesting but I can see how the MC is going to rule over everything with his mad skills and gets a harem.
I hope it won't turn into garbage like btooom! and sao.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17105 on: April 16, 2014, 05:06:18 pm »

This is exactly why I liked klk, but somewhere in second part trigger lost their way.
I agree.  The pace went from lightning-fast to glacial, some deeply inappropriate themes were introduced and ultimately it just sortof became what it was trying to be an antidote to.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17106 on: April 16, 2014, 05:20:27 pm »

Thanks to Sirus, I began watching "Kill la Kill" today. And boy, does it have an absurd amount of sexual objectificaton, although I am willing to take into consideration that it also has plenty of general insanity and equal opportunity asskicking.

Still, it's hard to take a heroine seriously when her power resolves around having an impossibly skimpy outfit drain her blood, which is evocative of menstruation in my book.

Do the guys get "power thong" outfits as well, at least?
Thanks to me? ???
I think I mentioned it once or twice. I still haven't even finished the series.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17107 on: April 16, 2014, 06:27:28 pm »

Thanks to Sirus, I began watching "Kill la Kill" today. And boy, does it have an absurd amount of sexual objectificaton, although I am willing to take into consideration that it also has plenty of general insanity and equal opportunity asskicking.

Still, it's hard to take a heroine seriously when her power resolves around having an impossibly skimpy outfit drain her blood, which is evocative of menstruation in my book.

Thanks to me? ???
You posted a weird picture with living jackets in a dog basket in it and I asked if they actually were living jackets, and then you mentioned "Kill la Kill".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17108 on: April 16, 2014, 07:30:02 pm »

Thanks to me? ???
You posted a weird picture with living jackets in a dog basket in it and I asked if they actually were living jackets, and then you mentioned "Kill la Kill".
I didn't post the picture, I just knew what it was :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17109 on: April 16, 2014, 07:34:51 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Are those supposed to be living jackets or something?
Well, I know someone who hasn't seen Kill la Kill :P
There we go.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17110 on: April 17, 2014, 03:46:38 am »

As I said in the IRC channel, at some point it stops being fanservice and becomes a way of life.

It has a lot to do with the way the fanservice is framed as well.

For example in Full Moon, Meroko (a Bunny girl in it... long story and I still swear that anime is good!) wears a pink laced Bikini. Yet the fact that they do very little to objectify her makes the costume seem kind of tame.

Though I should watch Kill La Kill before I make any judgments on its fanservice.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17111 on: April 17, 2014, 04:12:59 am »

I'll admit when I first saw KLK, it was from a few screenshots of the transformation sequence into the skimpy outfit. This is probably what turned me off from it for a long time, I just thought "Yeah, sure, I've already watched Agent Aika, thank you very much." cause I thought it was just another fan service show.

I watched it the first ep eventually, and I thought it was really fun, so I just bore with it.

Then the themes of the show started sinking in somewhere along the lines, about being comfortable with your body and how nudity or partial nudity =/= sexual objectification, or even sexiness or lewdness.

It's hard to explain, but the idea in my head is that making someone a sexual object is divorced from the actual clothing they wear, and more inline with how they're presented and how they behave.

If I can admit something, I occasionally (quote "occasionally") peruse through hentai, but I can't look at any of KLK, it just feels wrong. The idea being that being thrust into a position where you're nude is meant to put you into a position of vulnerability, but that's not true for nearly any and every KLK character.

In the end, I feel I respected the characters of KLK a great deal more, because it's just very clear that the characters are not only very comfortable with their own bodies, but also very comfortable with eachother's bodies. Like, for example, there's alot of scenes where both male and female characters, that have no kind of intimate connection, that are nude or nearly nude, in the same room talking to eachother, and it's not a big deal at all. They're not not ogling eachother shamelessly, or drawing attention to the state of their attire, that's just how they are and everyone's comfortable with it. That runs directly against alot of norms and cultural perceptions in RL, but that's the world they live in, and they're living it.

I could bring up some more examples, but I think I've made my point clear enough.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17112 on: April 17, 2014, 05:35:21 am »

Someone get a gif of mama mankoshirou sneaking glances at whatshispink.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17113 on: April 17, 2014, 05:41:49 am »

To be fair, it's hard to not look at something that's the brightest glowing object in the room.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17114 on: April 17, 2014, 08:35:05 am »

I suppose you are right, it's hard to cry out "objectification!" when the majority of the cast is half-naked for in-universe reasons and doesn't make a big deal out of it. And neither does the show, really, we don't get any of those obnoxious "hey, look, tits for no real purpose!" scenes from it, it's more like "awesome action scene where everyone's dressed in wierdass lingerie because that's how their powers work."

Pages: 1 ... 1139 1140 [1141] 1142 1143 ... 2193