Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1138 1139 [1140] 1141 1142 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067532 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17085 on: April 15, 2014, 07:22:22 pm »

Who has been keeping up with the latest Hunter X Hunter episodes?

The narrative thing has been annoying the heck out of me over this whole arc.
I mentioned this a while back and no one really said anything, so I stopped watching around the time the kid with the fisher pole went back to his island home along with the assassin kid and they were trying to get the Hunter video game or whatever. At that point I was like: "why am I watching this anymore I thought they were going to fight stuff?"

They went through all the frickin' tests and then they don't even do anything. I was really excited at first because they started climbing that tower arena but then they quit! Sucks.

EDIT: The complaints sound very petty, but nothing plotwise was really going on either.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17086 on: April 15, 2014, 08:23:16 pm »

The manga's very good for Hunter x Hunter. Did you get to the point that they fought the ants?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #17087 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:10 pm »

The manga's very good for Hunter x Hunter. Did you get to the point that they fought the ants?
I don't think so.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17088 on: April 15, 2014, 08:42:15 pm »

I actually quite like the anime for hunter x hunter. It's like the only thing that I actually watch on a weekly basis. You're right that they don't actually fight a lot though. It's a lot about the journey and such.

Although the current arc has done the whole everything takes forever dragon ball z thing so far it's past bad and wrapped around to hilarious. I think the main character has literally been siting down staring forward for like three real life months now. Luckily the side character things are funny enough to me to keep it interesting.

Edit: I tried to read the manga. It seems really poorly made though, to the point where it was actually effecting my enjoyment. And in the end I decided the anime was good enough for me.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:44:47 pm by Criptfeind »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17089 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:17 pm »

Ahh yes the RARE case where a show's supporting cast actually shines well enough to balance out the weak main cast.

Often the side characters are much more interesting then the main character because the main character actually needs to fit into the heroic archtype of the anime/manga while the side characters are allowed to be anything and often have genuine flaws and things they honestly have to work for that won't be immediately obtained.

That and this is just a theory... but one major reason why manga writers often make the side characters so interesting with nice juicy plothooks and then never explore them. Is because they wanted to create lots of great avenues for them to possibly explore in the future without a definite plan to follow it up.

As an example: Ash's Pallet Town Rivals and how they never show up again.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:56:33 pm by Neonivek »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17090 on: April 16, 2014, 04:25:24 am »

Ahh yes the RARE case where a show's supporting cast actually shines well enough to balance out the weak main cast.

Often the side characters are much more interesting then the main character because the main character actually needs to fit into the heroic archtype of the anime/manga while the side characters are allowed to be anything and often have genuine flaws and things they honestly have to work for that won't be immediately obtained.

That and this is just a theory... but one major reason why manga writers often make the side characters so interesting with nice juicy plothooks and then never explore them. Is because they wanted to create lots of great avenues for them to possibly explore in the future without a definite plan to follow it up.

As an example: Ash's Pallet Town Rivals and how they never show up again.

Now that you mention that, it reminds me that I just recently learned that Todd, the guy from Pokemon Snap, is a recurring character in the anime... but the awesome character (I forget his name) with the awesome Sandshrew shown really early in the series just disappears forever, along with countless other narrative peons. That peeves me harshly.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17092 on: April 16, 2014, 01:23:15 pm »

Who has been keeping up with the latest Hunter X Hunter episodes?

The narrative thing has been annoying the heck out of me over this whole arc.

Drives me and my roommate up the wall too.  At this point I consider the Narrator the main character.   >:(
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Dzedajus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17093 on: April 16, 2014, 01:59:16 pm »

So how many shows are you watching this season and what do you think about it?
So far I picked up 8 shows.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17094 on: April 16, 2014, 02:11:31 pm »

Thanks to Sirus, I began watching "Kill la Kill" today. And boy, does it have an absurd amount of sexual objectificaton, although I am willing to take into consideration that it also has plenty of general insanity and equal opportunity asskicking.

Still, it's hard to take a heroine seriously when her power resolves around having an impossibly skimpy outfit drain her blood, which is evocative of menstruation in my book.

Do the guys get "power thong" outfits as well, at least?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17095 on: April 16, 2014, 02:12:12 pm »

Less than that, even.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17096 on: April 16, 2014, 02:21:17 pm »

What, bondage gear?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17097 on: April 16, 2014, 02:22:23 pm »

What, bondage gear?

Among other things...  :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17098 on: April 16, 2014, 02:22:44 pm »

That's a pretty damn good guess, really.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17099 on: April 16, 2014, 02:23:13 pm »

What, bondage gear?

soooortof. And something else that is.... Just keep watching

Funny thing about Kill La Kill, it's so in your face with the sexualization and such that after a while you stop seeing it as sexual, save for the parts that are intentionally meant to make you uncomfortable
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 02:25:37 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1138 1139 [1140] 1141 1142 ... 2193