Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1140 1141 [1142] 1143 1144 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3067178 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #17115 on: April 17, 2014, 11:01:34 am »

Someone get a gif of mama mankoshirou sneaking glances at whatshispink.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17116 on: April 17, 2014, 11:15:32 am »

Okay, I withdraw all my accusations of gratuitious sexual objectification from this anime. Naked people is just how it rolls.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17117 on: April 17, 2014, 11:42:39 am »

So uh yesterday I started reading The Five Star Stories. My god this is weird. It's like a mix between Dune and Visions of Escaflowne. And there's so much worldbuilding fluff that I'm barely able to keep track of all of it, tis pretty amazing. Art is incredibly pretty and the Mortar Headd mechs have such amazing detail put into them, though some of Nagano's character designs look really odd if you look at them for too long, specially the female characters. I'm starting to wonder if Fatimas are a thing because of a fetish of his or something
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 11:57:21 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17118 on: April 17, 2014, 11:50:17 am »

Someone get a gif of mama mankoshirou sneaking glances at whatshispink.
I don't think that counts as "sneaking" :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #17119 on: April 17, 2014, 03:40:43 pm »

Anime characters reaching their goal is like Zeno's Arrow, forever getting closer, but never actually reaching.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17120 on: April 17, 2014, 03:57:02 pm »

Anime characters reaching their goal is like Zeno's Arrow, forever getting closer, but never actually reaching.
Don't watch so many drawn-out shonen action series then. Other genres are much less plagued with that.

It's sort of a tautology, "anime that have 100's of episodes seem drag out the plot forever". but most anime series aren't very long, the vast majority are around 12-26 episodes max. Those ones seem to "not count" in these discussions precisely because they're not long enough to get much attention from Joe public.

e.g. science fiction manga/anime, classics like Macross, Gundam, Yamato, Mospeada etc. None of those have that problem. Or modern sci-fi or mecha related ones, TTGL, Gargantia, Code Geass, Valvrave. All of those have actual endings, no room for sequels.

So, a quick sample of science fiction anime shows that the problem is largely contained to the martial arts/superpowers shows for kids. Which is not surprising since the equivalent in the West - superhero comics - also drag on forever.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:14:57 pm by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17121 on: April 17, 2014, 05:52:16 pm »

Started watching Steins Gate yesterday. up to episode 15 now, it's rather sickening how easily stuff like this takes me over :C

And yes, it's damn good so far and I have a theory on what the hell is happening and what was up with episode 1, which is why I can't stop watching right now because I want to see if I'm right or not.

Edit:

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 06:04:41 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17122 on: April 18, 2014, 01:50:29 am »

Hey guys, I have two new manga to share with you, both sharing a common theme;
Characters removed from the Common world and entering that of a Fantasy style world...

Now we know a few of those but these are interesting, so anyway lets get down to the blurbs...

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

No Game No Life - http://mangafox.me/manga/no_game_no_life/

Warning - NSFW, passable, but still not a good idea with some scenes...

Blurb : A set of Infamous gamers have stirred up the Gaming world, alone they defeated a whole Guild of over 1000 units, with just the four of them. Lead by one known as [ ] (Read as Blank). Even against hackers they defeated them by pure skill, who are these four players.... Actually its just two, each duel boxing. They are NEET (Not Employed, Education or Training) and  Hikikomori (Socially Withdrawn) Siblings, both genius in their ways. A Brother and Younger Sister who are so highly skilled they see the world as nothing more then a Shit game,, unable to exist here correctly as if they were born in the wrong world and their true skills and abilities give them nothing but backlash and animosity from the rest of the world. Contacted by a Being that calls himself "God" they are summoned to another, where by the rulling of God, War as been Forbidden. Everything is to be Settled with games. Even National Border disputes. Here they find that of a Fantasy world of many Races and the Human Species driven into a corner by the others, down to their last city and their Throne currently being decided by a Grand Tournament of Gaming as per wish of the last King...

Thoughts - Surprisingly, this is quite good, the concept of a world where everything decided by games, even down to Highway Robbery, leads to an interesting premise. Its still young with only 6 Chapters and 2 Episodes of Anime aired, but it caught my attention.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Drifters - http://mangafox.me/manga/drifters/

Warning - Violence, lots of it.

Blurb - We start off in the Sengoku Jedai, the time after that of Hidiyoshi has passed and the Time of Waring States have come back, the Battle of Sekigahaha. Toyohisa Shimazu is facing down that of the Tokugawa Army, allowing a much time for his Uncle is to retreat and return to Satsuma. Leading what is left of their decimated army, Toyohisa fights, through spear and blade and past gunfire he cuts down that of the opposing general, only to find himself heavily wounded. With the foes retreating and his Uncle escaped, he beings his walk only to find himself in a strange corridor covered in doorways. A Man sitting behind a desk covered in paperwork, when question he doesn't respond, he only marks down something leaving Toyohisa to find himself flung through a door and passout. Soon though he finds himself saved by two young men with pointy long ears, speaking a strange language, taken to a Ruined Castle where he is restored to health by two others who speak Japanese, two famous people, Oda and Yoichi. Two men who had died long ago, or have they...
In a Fantasy like world where Elves, Dwarves and other races live, they find themselves there, as Drifters. A Dark army of Moster Races has started a large push from the north and even the Humans who have long subjugated the Demihumans is cracking from its strength, lead by a man known as Black King/Lord. Added by those known as Offscourings, Ends, those by the name of Hijkata Toshizo, the Maid of Orieans and Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanova. Those that died when the world turned their back on them...
One Group will be the Saviours, the other the Destroyers...

Summery - OMFG WHY IS THERE NOT MORE OF THIS! I WANT MORE GIVE ME MORE DAMN I GOT THE TO MOST RECENT CHAPTER! TRANSLATE MORE, FUCK I NEED TO LEARN JAPANESE! ODA INTRODUCES MUSKETS TO THE WORLD AND THE DWARVES MAKE THEM!, OMG IS THAT BUTCH CASAIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID! HANNIBAL AND SCIPIO! SO MANY FAMOUS WARRIORS/GENERALS! WHY ARE YOU NOT READING THIS YET!!!

EDIT: By the way, Drifters is done by the same guy that did Hellsing, if that helps you to read this, then I don't know what would.
I want to say, Drifters is made of spikes of awesome.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17123 on: April 18, 2014, 08:36:26 am »

EDIT: By the way, Drifters is done by the same guy that did Hellsing, if that helps you to read this, then I don't know what would.
I want to say, Drifters is made of spikes of awesome.
THIS THIS HOLY SHIT THIS. I knew as soon as I saw the art style.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17124 on: April 18, 2014, 09:41:03 am »

Then GT happens but lets pretend it didn't happen (even if I actually liked it)

Personally, I think if the writers had handled things differently the GT villians could have been the BEST.
Bare with me on this.

What are the two things that Goku ALWAYS relies on to save the day? Answer: His Friends, then the Dragonballs when his friends (or himself) inevitably die (again)

So GT had a villain who turned all Goku's friends against him (Baby) and then made EVIL SHENRON. Its poetic in a way, its a betrayal of everything that Goku has relied on in his life. Now all they woulda needed is a villain that would turn Super Saiyan into a bad thing (I'm thinking some mutant personification of that heart virus) and then they could have thoroughly deconstructed the entirety of the Hero's world.

If they actually knew how to write a plot to save their lives I mean :P

Anyway, anyone seen RWBY?
Its a magical girl/monster hunter type thing done by the guys who make Red Vs. Blue

I enjoyed it, though I was a bit pissed when I realized it only had the one season :(
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17125 on: April 18, 2014, 10:08:55 am »

We've discussed RWBY when it first came out, then the discussion went out with a whimper.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17126 on: April 18, 2014, 10:14:30 am »

RWBY's pretty good. Not a huge amount else to say about it though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17127 on: April 18, 2014, 10:37:54 am »

I hoped they worked on the story and got a better animation software cause whatever they were using was a pile of shit

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #17128 on: April 18, 2014, 10:59:50 am »

I hoped they worked on the story and got a better animation software cause whatever they were using was a pile of shit
It was bad in an interesting way.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17129 on: April 18, 2014, 12:24:45 pm »

It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1140 1141 [1142] 1143 1144 ... 2193