Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078400 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14535 on: August 17, 2013, 03:07:52 pm »

I was in the same fansub group as the primary translator for Mahoyo (and he did some work on fate/hollow too, but by that time, the project was already pretty much dead) and while there is definitely some progress being made, we're still probably 6 months away from a full release. Fate/hollow's been a particularly rocky project -- progress has stalled several times, and I know a few months back there was some controversy where some people were just running lines through Google Translate to artificially raise the completion percentage. I have no idea what the status of that project is right now, but I'd be a little dubious of their figures.

On the other hand, after Mahoyo's finished, the translator plans on going back and finishing fate/hollow and giving it a proper treatment. It might be a while before that happens, but it'll happen eventually.

Soo... you were a part of Mirror Moon, or is Mirror Moon not handling Fate/hollow Ataraxia?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14536 on: August 17, 2013, 03:12:20 pm »

. . . There is a Phoenix Wright live-action movie uploaded with subs to youtube and I am watching it.  Ohhh my god this is ridiculously bad.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14537 on: August 17, 2013, 04:13:51 pm »

I can't understand Bakemonogatari or whatever.
I mean, the anime side. The anime just...I don't even know what I'm seeing.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #14538 on: August 17, 2013, 04:25:47 pm »

. . . There is a Phoenix Wright live-action movie uploaded with subs to youtube and I am watching it.  Ohhh my god this is ridiculously bad.

Do they have the ridiculous hair and yell OBJECTION a lot?
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14539 on: August 17, 2013, 04:26:47 pm »

Yes.  Also, it's strangely compelling.  Like, super-overacted, but very serious and cute, well-timed, all that stuff.

It's actually really good >_<

EDIT: Just finished.  Definitely worth the watch if you like Gyakuten Saiban.  All the actors are very well-casted.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:01:20 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14540 on: August 17, 2013, 09:01:54 pm »

Yes.  Also, it's strangely compelling.  Like, super-overacted, but very serious and cute, well-timed, all that stuff.

EDIT: Just finished.  Definitely worth the watch if you like Gyakuten Saiban.  All the actors are very well-casted.
Would this be a good introduction to Phoenix Wright? I've never played/read/etc. anything related to it.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14541 on: August 17, 2013, 09:55:01 pm »

I was in the same fansub group as the primary translator for Mahoyo (and he did some work on fate/hollow too, but by that time, the project was already pretty much dead) and while there is definitely some progress being made, we're still probably 6 months away from a full release. Fate/hollow's been a particularly rocky project -- progress has stalled several times, and I know a few months back there was some controversy where some people were just running lines through Google Translate to artificially raise the completion percentage. I have no idea what the status of that project is right now, but I'd be a little dubious of their figures.

On the other hand, after Mahoyo's finished, the translator plans on going back and finishing fate/hollow and giving it a proper treatment. It might be a while before that happens, but it'll happen eventually.
Soo... you were a part of Mirror Moon, or is Mirror Moon not handling Fate/hollow Ataraxia?
No no, Mirror Moon haven't touched the Type-Moon fandiscs like Kagetsu Tohya and Fate/hollow.  I believe Kagetsu Tohya is by some random guy and Fate/hollow is by a bunch of people over at Beasts' Lair while being hosted on TLWiki as well.

Mahoyo is being done by Commiesubs, the demo was translated by some Russian dude that doesn't really know what they're doing.  He also did Phenomenomo or whatever in English and you could really tell, eugh.

EDIT:
Would this be a good introduction to Phoenix Wright? I've never played/read/etc. anything related to it.
I believe it spoils plot points from the first game?  I would play the games first really.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:02:52 pm by ToonyMan »

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #14542 on: August 17, 2013, 10:09:49 pm »

Polar Bear's Cafe is an anime about a freakin' polar bear that runs a cafe. Yeah. Crazy.

More specifically, it looks like it's a slice of life show running on the concept that animals live amongst people in cities and can run their own jobs and function fully in society. A panda bear walking around buying groceries and conversing with people is a perfectly natural thing to see; a polar bear can run a successful cafe with no health violations or devouring of patrons.

It's got some pretty good humour, and the concept is just so crazy it's worth a look.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14543 on: August 17, 2013, 10:25:46 pm »

Yeah, it does have spoilers.  Otherwise, though, if you're just trying to get the experience, I think it's pretty amazing.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14544 on: August 17, 2013, 11:45:33 pm »

-snip about Mirror Moon-

Thank you, Internet Informant Agent ToonyMan.

Also, did I or anyone else mention that Soul Eater is over now? Soul Eater Not! is still being worked on, and it's kind of a pseudo-sequel featuring younger Academy students, kind of like what Shaman King Flowers would have been if the mangaka ever did anything with it.

I'm kind of on the fence with how it ended. I was really rooting for one of the antagonists but they didn't get to accomplish what I wish they had (or maybe they secretly did? *shrug*). Also, I wish that there was a bit of the anime's ending in the manga's ending, if only because it did something really neat.

Still, overall more satisfied with the manga's end over the anime's end, especially with other plot elements not totally related to the confrontation with the big bad.

I'd really like to see what the mangaka does after this and Soul Eater Not! (if it's done by the same person). Soul Eater was a very intriguing series, and did a lot of things very different from other series that might otherwise share similarities.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14545 on: August 18, 2013, 12:11:09 am »

I'm kind of on the fence with how it ended. I was really rooting for one of the antagonists but they didn't get to accomplish what I wish they had (or maybe they secretly did? *shrug*). Also, I wish that there was a bit of the anime's ending in the manga's ending, if only because it did something really neat.

Still, overall more satisfied with the manga's end over the anime's end, especially with other plot elements not totally related to the confrontation with the big bad.

Now, see, I've had a couple friends who all watched the Soul Eater anime and we all pretty much agreed that the ending definitely wasn't as great as it should've been.

Spoiler: Soul Eater ending (click to show/hide)

For me, the ending wasn't really all that satisfying.
Also often called Boowells.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14546 on: August 18, 2013, 02:50:29 am »

Polar Bear's Cafe is an anime about a freakin' polar bear that runs a cafe. Yeah. Crazy.
Indeed...

[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14547 on: August 18, 2013, 03:03:35 am »

I think I want to see this. .O.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14548 on: August 18, 2013, 04:37:06 am »

I think I want to see this. .O.

Those snarky replies... lol.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Malus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14549 on: August 18, 2013, 05:59:43 am »

No no, Mirror Moon haven't touched the Type-Moon fandiscs like Kagetsu Tohya and Fate/hollow.  I believe Kagetsu Tohya is by some random guy and Fate/hollow is by a bunch of people over at Beasts' Lair while being hosted on TLWiki as well.

Mahoyo is being done by Commiesubs, the demo was translated by some Russian dude that doesn't really know what they're doing.  He also did Phenomenomo or whatever in English and you could really tell, eugh.
Yep, exactly. I have access to the Mahoyo scripts and our translation is extremely different from cokesakto's. Our translator (native Japanese speaker) was baffled by some of his choices -- he invents sentences out of nowhere to add 'flavor', and at times his additions are incongruous or downright contradictory. I haven't done any work on VNs, but as an avid VN reader, inventing details is a step over the line. Commie's typically viewed as being extremely liberal when it comes to our editing style, but it really varies from project to project. You'll never see honorifics or TL notes, but the meaning of a sentence is always preserved.
Pages: 1 ... 968 969 [970] 971 972 ... 2193