Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3078478 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #14505 on: August 16, 2013, 12:30:16 am »

^ That

In a similar vein: I love monsters.  Give me something amazing with 'em.  Please? <3 <3 <3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14506 on: August 16, 2013, 12:34:39 am »

^ That

In a similar vein: I love monsters.  Give me something amazing with 'em.  Please? <3 <3 <3

What kind of monsters? Are we talking creepy-crawlies, or big and mean ogres, or monster-people like centaurs, or ??
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: August 16, 2013, 12:44:10 am »

Stuff that fucks with you and is genuinely monstrous.  Centaurs don't count as "monsters" so much as "magical creatures" for me unless they've got Blue and Orange morality going, in which case they're okay.

Some things I like:

Hellsing
Pacific Rim
Dracula
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
The Phantom of the Opera
Pan's Labyrinth
Frankenstein
Dragonball (has some pretty gross and scary transformations)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Madoka

(I realize that the Hunchback and the Phantom are obviously disabled people with morality problems, not monsters, but they are presented as monstrous.  Things like Katawa Shoujo, for example, I enjoy but WOULD NOT fit in my above criteria; for the above, if there's a question of version, I mean the novel)

So: Gothic horror, enormous hellbeasts from the sea, creepy disgusting things, it's all good.

Dunno, thinking about trying Franken Fran?  Going to watch Gojira soon, too, but wevs.

Like... make my inner teratophiliac happy.  That's all I'm asking for.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: August 16, 2013, 01:05:13 am »

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14509 on: August 16, 2013, 01:08:35 am »

Sure, why not?  I've never given it a try.

Thanks for the rec!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14510 on: August 16, 2013, 01:51:13 am »

Minamoto-kun Monogatari

Dang that reminds me of another romance (sort of) about a Teacher in a fictional China who is asked to live in the Emperor who is rumored to be gay.

It is kind of interesting in that it actually has a real plot that she is BARELY a part of, for a main character she is more of a pawn in everything then an actor, but it almost feels like it is just context for the romance.
Oh God Botato's site have hilarious comments for that manga XD
lets just say the last chapter was a field day for people.

Desperately trying to remember the name. It is one of those ones that are hard to remember.

Ahh found it! Though I do want to find that riffing of the plot... Botato... hmmm.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 01:54:35 am by Neonivek »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14511 on: August 16, 2013, 02:01:02 am »

I love monsters.  Give me something amazing with 'em.  Please? <3 <3 <3

Maaaaybe Blue Gender? The animation isn't amazing, and I've only seen a bit of it, but it's got:

Giant Robots vs. Monsters (insects)
The collapse of human civilization
People with serious issues, twisted moralities, etc.
Some unsettling and bizarre music

Try a bit of it out. You might like it.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #14512 on: August 16, 2013, 02:31:31 am »

Rosario + Vampire comes to mind, but if you don't want something to stab you in the eyes repeatedly, go for the manga. Guy that doesn't think he can get into any good schools finds out his parents signed him up for this academy no one's heard of, but hey, he got accepted so that's cool. The bus driver guy picks him up, drops him off, the landscape itself is ridiculously creepy and he's having second thoughts before even getting to the school when a beautiful girl on her bike crashes into him. She apologizes and leaves, and he thinks that if she goes to this school, he can definitely manage it. Things are still weird for a while, but it'll be okay. Oh, wait, it's actually a school for monsters that prepares them to be able to integrate into human society, which is why everyone is weird but looks human. It's too late for him to back out now, though.
Tropes include (somewhat deconstructed) Supporting Harem and (for a good while) Useless Protagonist.
Also I can't remember if you and I have already talked about this, Vector, or if you've said you've already looked into it. Sorry if I'm just repeating myself. Also, bonus points if you read or have read this: I can hook you up with some great fanfiction.

Soul Eater has some weird and crazy stuff going on from time to time, but I don't think it fits.

Ao no Exorcist except there's not much of it out there.

Maou Maoyuu Yuusha - Kono Watashi no Mono Tonare, Yuusha yo Kotowaru!, which is basically ECONOMICS! Also, you don't really get to see the monsters until later, and most of them are humanoid.

Bakemonogatari? Kind of?

Kore wa Zombie desu ka? for monsters + hilarity.

That's basically everything I've seen that has legit monsters. Trinity Blood has vampires and Crusniks... oh, maybe Blood+?
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: August 16, 2013, 02:32:08 am »

Wasn't there this manga about people using their companies' assets as monsters in what is a lot like a Card game?

---

Also WOW I watched this anime because it had an interesting description and I was going to watch the first episode because I was curious how the protagonist gets together with the female lead.

Guess how long that took?

2 minutes! and that is including the intro.

I should be banned from choosing anime on my on volition.

Second mystery solved 6 minutes in.

DEAR HOLY this anime doesn't take its time... How the heck is this thing more then two episodes?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 03:26:04 am by Neonivek »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: August 16, 2013, 03:30:04 am »

^ That

I have many and really crazy ones to suggest, I will be looking for them after work just for you my friend...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: August 16, 2013, 04:19:40 am »

Franken Fran does spring to mind as a manga with legitimately disturbing artwork sometimes, but it's a weird sort of dark comedy series. Definitely NSFW, but also potentially traumatizing for small children.

Claymore also counts, but is a fantasy series. The monsters get progressively more bizarre as it goes along.

Dorohedoro? The main character is a lizardman with a face inside his mouth who goes around biting people's heads and asking them questions.

Parasyte, about aliens taking over people's bodies.

In terms of anime, Mononoke, but it may be a bit too offbeat, strangely styled, and each chapter has a long startup time before it gets going. The last three episodes of Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror are technically the beginning of the series and are where to start.

It's a sadly sparse and disregarded genre in manga and anime in general, instead most artists deciding to create yet another school centered romantic comedy.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: August 16, 2013, 04:35:18 am »

Ok I have to say... this anime is interesting in that, I'd almost think it would be better if they just dropped the plot ENTIRELY and focused entirely on the romantic subplot.

Though that may because it is so boring because if someone gave me a thousand great anime to chose from and one of them was bad... I'd somehow pick the bad ones.

Also for someone "Cold, scary, and unapproachable" she sure seems to be approachable by everyone and absolutely no one seems afraid of her.

It's a sadly sparse and disregarded genre in manga and anime in general, instead most artists deciding to create yet another school centered romantic comedy

It is because of the demographic in Japan of people who watch anime and read manga. Though the test I like to give is just take the ages of the main characters.

MOST of the time if the protagonist is an adult it was made for an adult with a few exceptions.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:48:31 am by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: August 16, 2013, 05:50:30 am »

^ That

I can't remember if you've seen Attack on Titan yet, if not then it matches up with what you want pretty well.

Alternative is literally the best rated VN on the site and I wanted to give it a go some day, but I don't want to spoil myself if I end up liking the characters and wanting more :(.
I don't think there's any danger of that!  MLE->MLU->MLA is the order but if you find yourself hating MLE you can probably just skip it and read a plot summary.  MLA does have some very good parts but I think overall the series has way too many boring or actively painful to read scenes.  It's worse than FSN in that regard and that's really saying something.

e: I've realized that in the interests of balance I should say that MLA has the Best OP Ever, and also probably helped inspire Attack on Titan

I'd recommend Higurashi because it's generally good and the ending explains everything brilliantly (this is very rare for a VN).  Umineko is also good but the ending is weaker.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 06:21:59 am by Leafsnail »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: August 16, 2013, 06:08:55 am »

Umineko is also good but the ending is weaker

Umineko hits the "devolve factor" HARD! I mean REALLY hard! Its plot and story just kind of turn into a total mess the longer it goes on.

Higurashi actually does have the distinction of not only NOT devolving into a mess, but it actually having a good and satisfying ending.

and honestly Anime/Manga/VA that avoid the devolve factor are rare... It is like the plot is just suicidal. Ok fine the REAL reason is that writing an ending is genuinely hard.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: August 16, 2013, 06:15:12 am »

Are you talking about the anime?  In the VNs it does get weirder and weirder, but it remains pretty coherent.  The anime suffers from the fact that the VNs get longer and longer, meaning it needs to cut more and more from each arc until it's just a breathless parade of oddness.

I still think there's a character in the second set of stories that you'd really like, incidentally
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 2193