Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058530 times)

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7635 on: May 29, 2011, 03:35:38 pm »

Re-watched Library War (Toshokan Sensou)

Damn, this anime is still good. If you need a quick summary, it's light military story about what happens when there's too much book censorship :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7636 on: May 29, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »

That is mostly because cartoons and anime are really mass produced. really REALLY mass produced.
Obviously. How else can you satisfy anime-otakus?
I too burn through a series rather quickly, so I do understand it...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7637 on: May 29, 2011, 08:21:03 pm »

I would just like to say I have never understood a japanese anime less than I understand Excel Saga.

And yet for some reason occasionally I will watch it.

In fact, I think the more I watch, the less I understand it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7638 on: May 29, 2011, 08:27:10 pm »

I would just like to say I have never understood a japanese anime less than I understand Excel Saga.

And yet for some reason occasionally I will watch it.

Excel Saga isn't that tough.

Generally speaking Excel Saga is a show that goes through the gambit of every single anime genre as well as exploring every cliche and steriotype of anime/movies/shows in general while still retaining its own storyline. It also is an anime where the production of the show itself also lends to the developments within the show... Such as Ropopomatsu's revival happening because they had a lot of merchandise to sell.
-Which does happen quite a bit in real life. Jem for example would introduce a new character every season for sale purposes. Danse, The Mexican woman, and that magician girl (dang I forgot her name) were all created to sell in the toy line... Except Danse actually was pretty well designed as a whole.
--It is also why Cars has a sequel.

The only part of it where you would have to understand Japanese culture... would probably be the joke about how everyone is impressed by Watari's government job. It is a reference to the depression.

Though some jokes I guess are really subtle... Like the dog ones.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7639 on: May 29, 2011, 08:35:22 pm »

Well, there's actually a lot of different japanese culture things in it, they're just like you said, a lot more subtle. Only thing is I've been learning the language for over a year, but know next to nothing about their culture, or their memes, or anything like that, other than the obvious things.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7640 on: May 29, 2011, 08:40:16 pm »

Well, there's actually a lot of different japanese culture things in it, they're just like you said, a lot more subtle. Only thing is I've been learning the language for over a year, but know next to nothing about their culture, or their memes, or anything like that, other than the obvious things.

I should tell you that not all their jokes are really all that funny.

One episode made fun of that, IMO bad, anime where children were used as trained assasines. Though other then "ha ha ha references" none of them were really that funny.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7641 on: May 29, 2011, 11:54:49 pm »

I get bagged on for this, but I think Ritsu in K-ON! Season 2 is easily one of the more believable characters in anime. Season 1 she was just a crappier Tomo, but she turned out very nice in Season 2.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7642 on: May 30, 2011, 12:38:59 am »

I find that people's believe in what is a believable character or not is flimsy... So I don't really blame you Patchouli.

For example... Ba Nee in Jem (dang it Jem!) is an orphan girl in an orphanage who tends to cry for her father who she doesn't know.

EVERYONE (in real life that is) bags on her for being a spoiled brat who shouldn't be crying because everyone else there doesn't have parents either. What they don't realise is not only do people handle loss in different ways, Ba Nee is the ONLY Starlight girl who officially knew her parents (or at least one) before they TRAGICALLY died and is likely the only one given the others reactions.

While Laura a character who litterally CRIES immediately when seeing two Starlight girls (names for the orphans) play Ping pong because "They are too talented" and then proceeds to get hardcore addicted to drugs in a single day and transforms immediately into a drug crazed hellgirl. She is heralded as the most realistic character in the show by some people.
-IMO Laura is the WORST written character in the worst written (but not worst in general) episode in the entire show.

It just goes to show that really... people just don't get people.

Either that or I don't... which is just as likely.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7643 on: May 30, 2011, 06:48:34 am »

Toradora! turns out to be really good.
I can recommend it to anybody who likes romatic comedies.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7644 on: May 30, 2011, 07:14:21 am »

Toradora! turns out to be really good.
I can recommend it to anybody who likes romatic comedies.

>_>
<_<

Thanks, I'll look into it.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7645 on: May 30, 2011, 04:40:08 pm »

That is mostly because cartoons and anime are really mass produced. really REALLY mass produced.

Hmm also through the transition from novel, to manga, to anime, a lot of the original script gets lost with every step.
Plot and characters are simplified, personalities smoothed, to appeal to a wider number of people etc.
It's the reason why I usally start with the anime, before I start reading the manga.
And someday, when I'm able to, I shall read the novels of my favorites.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7646 on: May 30, 2011, 05:17:06 pm »

Not every change is bad.

Full Moon Wo Sagashite's largest change (depending on what you consider the "largest"... the Anime practically devoured several of the important parts and characters) I fully support actually... in fact it works better.

I'd say what it is... but really I want people to see it dang it!

Though judging by the notes when I watched Kaito Jeanne... quite a few animes feel like a tunnel revision.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7647 on: May 30, 2011, 05:21:06 pm »

Studio Deen made the animation adaption?  Oh noooooooo

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7648 on: May 30, 2011, 05:59:21 pm »

Not every change is bad.

I didn't say it was bad...

Example: Welcome to the HNK
The anime focuses more on the romance, between the troubled main characters.
The manga focuses on the troubles of the different characters. It's a lot deeper, darker, depresing and heart-wrenching. Romance is more in the background.

Both are worth watching/reading.

While the change of the content may result in a better ending or overall story, it's almost universally true, that depth is being lost through the adaption.

inb4 somebody calling me out for stating the obvious.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7649 on: May 30, 2011, 11:08:21 pm »

I got around to finishing Godannar. A Spectacular ending to say the least. Very entertaining, this one was a decadent treat to savor. Highly recommended, because even if you detest fanservice, the show shines enough to give a great show regardless.

Also, I had some extra time, so I watched Laputa, the Castle in the Sky. Another great Miyazaki film. I am somewhat amused by the fact that a lot of his characters are nearly identical, but the storytelling is simply so good.

ALSO, I watched the first two eps of Giant Robo. One of my favorite reviewers holds it up as the all-time best mecha anime, and it is exceedingly good so far.
Pages: 1 ... 508 509 [510] 511 512 ... 2193