Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065139 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7230 on: April 12, 2011, 07:59:41 pm »

I KNEW somebody was going to notice that grammatical error/double meaning!

But seriously, it was the guy receiving the nut thumping that passed out.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7231 on: April 12, 2011, 08:01:00 pm »

But it made me chuckle, Joshua.

I can't imagine how hard I'd have to kick so that I'd pass out xD
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7232 on: April 13, 2011, 03:45:20 am »

I've never heard of Mushishi though, and a quick search only revealed this one live action movie with no synopsis attached.
Quote from: Wikipedia
The story features ubiquitous creatures called Mushi that often display supernatural powers. Mushi are described as beings in touch with the essence of life, far more basic and pure than normal living things. Due to their ethereal nature most humans are incapable of perceiving Mushi and are oblivious to their existence, but there are a few who possess the ability to see and interact with Mushi.

One such person is Ginko (ギンコ?), the main character of the series. He employs himself as a Mushi master (蟲師, mushi-shi?), traveling from place to place to research Mushi and aid people suffering from problems caused by them. The series is an episodic anthology in which the only common elements among episodes are Ginko and the various types of Mushi. There is no over-arching plotline.

The part where there's no over-arching plotline may turn people off, but the amount of creativity in each episode regarding the mushi and their abilities is really something special.

It feels almost dream-like in a way.

I wouldn't say it's really intellectual, but it definitely doesn't follow the standard slice-of-life beat or the standard high-octane action show.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7233 on: April 13, 2011, 09:46:10 am »

Thanks for that bit of info Patchouli.

I just finished up Yugo the Negotiator. That was one satisfying ending, I gotta say. Anyone that might enjoy a detective/spy drama about a man that faces a world of adversity to settle a dispute peacefully, will love this show.

Also, the beginning and ending songs are quite catchy.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7234 on: April 13, 2011, 11:17:49 am »

Mushi-shi is great indeed. Quite unlike any other show out there. It has the ability to make one feel good in some profound, cathartic way. Highly recommended.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7235 on: April 13, 2011, 11:19:58 am »

Wait, Patchy watches anime? I thought she'd only play video games with Teruyo <_<

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7236 on: April 13, 2011, 06:36:54 pm »

<stuff about Mushi-shi>
I concur with Patchouli. I'll just add that a lot of the artwork is quite striking, and that other than a few instances of odd sentence construction, the dub version is excellent. None of the voice actors do the annoying overly-emotive thing that seems to plague English dubs. You can almost believe the characters on the screen are just regular people talking to each other. Talking to each other about some really freaky stuff, sometimes...but nevertheless! It's a good dub.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7237 on: April 13, 2011, 08:51:06 pm »

Seconding Mushishi.

Feckin' awesome, that stuff.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7238 on: April 14, 2011, 03:04:03 am »

Ohh yeah I forgot...

Instead of finishing the hangman I'll just tell you what anime I am watching (despite still being embarassed I am even watching it)

Ayatsuri Sakon

It is a detective anime about a quiet boy and his hand puppet (who is outgoing). Mostly he does deductions and he sometimes uses the puppet to channel dead people (or rather he has the puppet act as them so he gets an idea of what they did). He is probably one of the few characters I ever seen who is MORE interesting when they don't speak.

Honestly when he is quiet he is the most interesting character in the room.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7239 on: April 14, 2011, 05:06:32 pm »

I just found out something incredible about the Bible and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7240 on: April 14, 2011, 06:38:41 pm »

Wow that gave me goosebumps.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Additional spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7241 on: April 14, 2011, 11:05:41 pm »

Oooh!

I saw some Medicine Brand Medicine!

Also it is starting to be a lot of fun picking out the victums in a murder. So far it is picking the biggest womanizing jerk of the group.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:40:48 am by Neonivek »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #7242 on: April 15, 2011, 04:03:49 am »

Just finished the Spiral manga last night, and OH MY GOSH IT HAS MORE PLOT WHIPLASH THAN THE ANIME. I'm pretty sure it has the most logic-counterlogic/prediction-counterprediction series of events that happen between characters of any series. There's not really one I can think of that comes close to it, including series like Death Note or Code Geass.

If you like battles where logic, over anything else, is the victor, I highly recommend reading Spiral.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7243 on: April 15, 2011, 04:41:15 am »

Continuing on the Detective series

It is starting to fall into what I call "So what?" syndrom... or rather the endings are SOO sad that they just leave you empty. There are no happy endings...

It is the reason I dislike Cold Case Detectives... The best way to find out the murderer is to find the person who would be the most pointlessly tragic person it could be.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7244 on: April 15, 2011, 08:17:14 am »

Also it is starting to be a lot of fun picking out the victums in a murder. So far it is picking the biggest womanizing jerk of the group.
I'd that constant womanazing and being a jerk probably isn't good for avoiding murder in real life, either :P.  The other archetypal victims are "The blackmailer" and "The millionaire master of the house".  It's usually one of the three.

It is starting to fall into what I call "So what?" syndrom... or rather the endings are SOO sad that they just leave you empty. There are no happy endings...
Well, it's either that or you introduce some superbastard mastermind who everyone would be happy with putting away (Ace Attorney series, I'm looking at you).  Generally if they've come up with a good reason why that person would be driven to murder (which isn't "they wanted money" or "they were trying to silence that person") then the ending will seem rather tragic.
Pages: 1 ... 481 482 [483] 484 485 ... 2193