Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064968 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7215 on: April 11, 2011, 07:36:28 am »

He is the only super talented character I ever seen in an anime who actually had to work his way up. They will show you... every single day of his training until you go mad
That would probably be because it was written with the supervision of a bona fide Go professional (5-dan).  She presumably knows as well as anyone how much effort it takes to reach that standard :P.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7216 on: April 11, 2011, 06:19:02 pm »

Finished watching Gankutsuou today. Not a bad Anime, the storyline was very good and very plot twisty, but I swear the animators were doing an absolutely preposterous amount of cocaine, you'll know what I mean if you watch it.

I can also safely say it is also the closest I've ever got to watching a Yaoi, I very nearly thought the two main characters were going to make out near the end there. Sorry fan girls, hate to spoil it for you, it never happens.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7217 on: April 11, 2011, 06:21:40 pm »

Bah, most non-explicit yaoi things are only teasy.  I know this because I only watch non-explicit stuff >_>

And yes, Gankutsuou was ridiculous on the art front.  Now you have to watch Mononoke :3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7218 on: April 11, 2011, 06:44:55 pm »

Watched it, canonized it within the library of my mind, and briefly thought of tattooing my back with the catch phrase the main character used to say every episode.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7219 on: April 11, 2011, 07:32:25 pm »

Believe it or not, Ganketsuou is CLOSE ENOUGH to the book that I passed my English tests in High School that were based on reading The Count of Monte Cristo, just by watching the show.

It's not exact, don't get me wrong, but it sure as hell gave me enough of the big picture that I was able to fill in the blanks on anything I didn't know.

I finished watching One Outs today, and I was thoroughly entertained by the little 25 episode series. What I'm disappointed in though is that the story is only half-complete! The Lycoans, Tokuchi Toua's team, only defeats 4 teams, and is only #5 in the national rankings, not even close to obtaining the championship, Toua's ultimate goal!

Doing some research, I'm further disappointed to find that there's no continuation of the anime beyond that point, though I'm not sure about the source manga.

Now let's see, what can I finish before I head off to MCTI in the next day or so?

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7220 on: April 11, 2011, 08:03:42 pm »

Herp derp broken record watch durarara herp derp.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7221 on: April 11, 2011, 08:09:23 pm »

Herp derp broken record watch durarara herp derp.

Nope, not on the list. I'm going to be diving into an obscure anime that I stumbled on called "Yugo the Negotiator".

It promises to be a good 13 episode series, but let's see for myself.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7222 on: April 11, 2011, 08:28:56 pm »

Ooooh a Negotiator? I have to admit I am interested in someone actually trying to bring peace... and not at the edge of a sword (peace bringer Kurogane)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7223 on: April 11, 2011, 10:17:46 pm »

Watching the first two eps of Yugo the Negotiator, it's quite the nice show.

The basic premise of the story is that there's a guy, Yugo, who's a negotiator from Japan, that has traveled to the middle east in order to resolve some of the extremely high tension political conflicts there, starting with a high profile kidnapping by anti-government guerrillas.

This anime is kind of a rarity in that the show takes place exclusively in Pakistan and the surrounding Middle Eastern area, not a common setting to say the least. Also, as you can probably guess, almost all the side characters are Pakistani Muslims, and from the little bit of Muslim culture that I know of, it's shown pretty accurately. Middle Eastern culture as a whole is also shown pretty unapologetically, with the show displaying some of the gorier and uglier aspects of the conflict and struggles in that society. Ex: A woman forced into prostitution that can't speak due to having her tongue cut out while still a girl, by her parents. I can't vouch for the accuracy of these depictions, but it really takes you by surprise.

Yugo himself is a pacifist. He carries no weapons, and fully intends on completing his job without harming anyone in the process. The show is pretty slow-paced, but shit goes down pretty fast, and has managed to hold my attention. Will continue watching.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7224 on: April 11, 2011, 10:26:53 pm »

Ooh, sounds nice, the last time I tried to watch an anime with a negotiator as the main character bones started erupting from his elbows and he had to start defending loli princesses and shit. Then there was this other time where the main character was a negotiator but instead of talking to people he just beat them up in this huge, pop-eye armed robot instead.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:31:15 pm by Heliman »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7225 on: April 11, 2011, 10:44:43 pm »

Yeah for some reason animes seem to confuse Peace for war and negotiate with fight an awful lot.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #7226 on: April 12, 2011, 07:16:38 pm »

Ooh, sounds nice, the last time I tried to watch an anime with a negotiator as the main character bones started erupting from his elbows and he had to start defending loli princesses and shit. Then there was this other time where the main character was a negotiator but instead of talking to people he just beat them up in this huge, pop-eye armed robot instead.

Who was defending a loli princess-android anyway.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7227 on: April 12, 2011, 07:44:44 pm »

Yugo the Negotiator is surprisingly awesome.

I suppose I have to take back what I said earlier, in that Yugo is not a strict pacifist. He will reluctantly resort to violence to defend himself.

By that, I mean he kicks a guy in the balls so hard that he passes out. Also, singlehandedly uses himself as a decoy by firing an AK-47 at the Palestinian Army.

Yugo's greatest skill, however, is not in violence, but in being able to sway people to his point of view. How do you get a group of the most cantankerous, selfish, religious zealots to talk on an issue peacefully when all they want is to do is KILL KILL KILL? By convincing them you have divine protection from god himself, of course.

Yugo's job is by no means easy, he receive horrible injuries in the first half of the series being nearly tortured to death.

I'm on to his second job, where now he's in Russia trying to locate and help legally emigrate a 12-year-old girl all the way to Japan... who just so happens to be the heiress to one of the largest inheritances the world has ever known, such that nearly every corrupt Russian spy and official are conspiring against him to get it for themselves. The plot is thick like molasses, and just as sweet.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7228 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »

Woah that sounds really cool I'll check it out later.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7229 on: April 12, 2011, 07:56:18 pm »

Woah that sounds really cool I'll check it out later.
Ditto. I want to kick a guy in the balls so hard that he passes out.

Unless it was Yugo who passed out after kicking the guy in the gonads >_>
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 480 481 [482] 483 484 ... 2193