Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065129 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #7200 on: April 10, 2011, 07:02:29 pm »

I was just hoping that someone might throw out an obscure anime I never heard of that's fairly intellectual in it's design. I've been researching for awhile, but haven't found anything else that's quite up to par.
Delves into list:
Durarara
Monster
Nodame Cantabile
Hajime No Ippo(if you're into men beating up other men and telling each other how they feel about that in a totally hetrosexual way)

EDIT:
Black Lagoon(sorta)
Darker than black (nightmare fuel)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 07:10:21 pm by Heliman »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7201 on: April 10, 2011, 07:03:12 pm »

There's also Hikaru no Go, which I found pretty enjoyable

Ohh yeah, that certainly has quite a bit of "Intense mastermind moments" though they come far and few between.

I swear it REALLY helps to actually know Go... I still havn't seen the last episode though.

Something about that anime is just so lonely. I can see why main characters tend to find high-skilled team mates in the oddest places... because the alternative is Hikaru no Go.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7202 on: April 10, 2011, 07:04:18 pm »

Hmm... read Black Jack?  How about Mushishi?

There's also Hikaru no Go, which I found pretty enjoyable.

I've heard of Black Jack, but haven't gotten around to paying it any attention.

I read the description for Hikaru no Go, and my first thought was "So it's like anime Jumanji, except with a Go board?", but then I looked at the rather lofty number of episodes, towering in at 74, and decided to pass it up.

I've never heard of Mushishi though, and a quick search only revealed this one live action movie with no synopsis attached.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7203 on: April 10, 2011, 07:09:44 pm »

Let me just sift through your suggestions really fast. Thank you so much for offering them.

I've crossed out anime that I've already watched in their entirety.

I was just hoping that someone might throw out an obscure anime I never heard of that's fairly intellectual in it's design. I've been researching for awhile, but haven't found anything else that's quite up to par.
Delves into list:
Durarara ( should really check it out, it was on Toony's must-watch list IIRC )
Monster
Nodame Cantabile ( I have this in my big list of things to watch, but I've been hesitant about it )
Hajime No Ippo(if you're into men beating up other men and telling each other how they feel about that in a totally hetrosexual way) (I loved Hajime no Ippo, and I watched the entire series, and all the movies, and like 500+ chapters of the manga)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7204 on: April 10, 2011, 07:14:21 pm »

I read the description for Hikaru no Go, and my first thought was "So it's like anime Jumanji, except with a Go board?", but then I looked at the rather lofty number of episodes, towering in at 74, and decided to pass it up.

I've never heard of Mushishi though, and a quick search only revealed this one live action movie with no synopsis attached.

... Really?  Well, they're all extremely good :I  So watch 'em/read 'em, if you've got time.

Also, Nodame Cantabile.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7205 on: April 10, 2011, 07:20:20 pm »

I've heard of Mushishi for a while now.  I'm busy with other things currently though.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7206 on: April 10, 2011, 07:20:27 pm »

... Really?  Well, they're all extremely good :I  So watch 'em/read 'em, if you've got time.

Also, Nodame Cantabile.

Absolutely Vector, I'll bump them up my list so they get watched sooner rather than later. I'm slowly grinding through my list and having a great time at it. All I need is patience and time, which I'm certain to get alot of. Eventually.

Thank you so much for your insight Vector.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7207 on: April 10, 2011, 07:25:16 pm »

Absolutely Vector, I'll bump them up my list so they get watched sooner rather than later. I'm slowly grinding through my list and having a great time at it. All I need is patience and time, which I'm certain to get alot of. Eventually.

Bah... sorry, I don't mean to be pushy.  I'm just saying that I think you could like them, and I want someone else to fangirl with =/  "Earth Girl Arjuna" is pretty educational as well, though it's a bit nutjob-like.

Oh, and I guess I should recommend the Saikano manga, too, but I'll warn you that it's pretty hard on the emotions.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7208 on: April 10, 2011, 07:32:47 pm »

Durarara ( should really check it out, it was on Toony's must-watch list IIRC )
Monster
Nodame Cantabile ( I have this in my big list of things to watch, but I've been hesitant about it )
Hajime No Ippo(if you're into men beating up other men and telling each other how they feel about that in a totally hetrosexual way) (I loved Hajime no Ippo, and I watched the entire series, and all the movies, and like 500+ chapters of the manga)

Durarara!! was fantastic, but it ended on such an anticlimax I couldn't wholeheartedly recommend it.

Unrelatedly, I've started watching Kemonozume, and I am totally loving it so far. It is a story about love, flesh eating demons, and a monkey. It goes from tense to mushy to creepy to hilarious so seemlessly I just can't help but love it. I'm only on 6 (of 13), but so far I highly recommend.

It's also got some unique animation that reminds me of something I've watched before, but I can't place it. Ideas?

Also this.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7209 on: April 10, 2011, 07:56:35 pm »

It's also got some unique animation that reminds me of something I've watched before, but I can't place it. Ideas?
Apparently, judging from the person who did the animation, it's similar to one of the naruto movies (Legend of the Stone of Gelel)
Spoiler: looked it up (click to show/hide)

Also looks like Mononoke, but that's just me.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7210 on: April 10, 2011, 08:03:44 pm »

Bah... sorry, I don't mean to be pushy.  I'm just saying that I think you could like them, and I want someone else to fangirl with =/  "Earth Girl Arjuna" is pretty educational as well, though it's a bit nutjob-like.

Oh, and I guess I should recommend the Saikano manga, too, but I'll warn you that it's pretty hard on the emotions.

There's no need to apologize Vector.  :)

Saikano sounded really familiar when you mentioned it, and an investigation revealed how interesting it's premise is. I'll definitely be checking these out Vector.

Earth Girl Arjuna also seems really interesting.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7211 on: April 10, 2011, 08:05:29 pm »

Apparently, judging from the person who did the animation, it's similar to one of the naruto movies (Legend of the Stone of Gelel)
Spoiler: looked it up (click to show/hide)

Also looks like Mononoke, but that's just me.

Hmm. From that list, I've only seen FLCL, NGE, and Dead Leaves. And it's nothing like the first two, although I guess I can see a little similarity with Dead Leaves.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7212 on: April 10, 2011, 08:12:36 pm »

I might try watching Higurashi or something after I finish One Outs. I heard that was good.
It's pretty good.  Not so sure about "intellectual" though, heh.

Although I found the plots a thing of beauty when reading it while already knowing the answers.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #7213 on: April 11, 2011, 02:23:26 am »

I STILL DON'T KNOW WHAT TO FEEL VECTOR!!
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7214 on: April 11, 2011, 02:41:26 am »

I will say that No Go does take its SWEEET sweet time to get to the end.

It isn't filler though that makes No Go long, it doesn't have that much filler sorta, it just takes things so slowly.

He is the only super talented character I ever seen in an anime who actually had to work his way up. They will show you... every single day of his training until you go mad.

Well unless you consider Ichigo from Yamino Pastichie to be super talented... but she is just surprisingly non-Mary Sue as far as skill is concerned and I give that show a lot of credit for that. (She has a super sense of taste and great "creativity" but her lack of skill is a continuous problem). Though honestly it drives me nuts that what I consider the villain gets away with everything.

MIND you... No where CLOSE to as bad as Yakate Japan!!!'s villain (the "!"s are actually part of the name) got away with everything. Honestly he should go to JAIL for a lot of what he has done and yet they like him more for it. I mean... I like "everyone wins" endings but WOW was that too far. I should give a full review of just that aspect.

Anyhow Intellectual... hmm I am sure I watched something like that a while ago.... hmmm. I know that Detective Q thing is unique in that they actually let you solve crimes for yourself and rely VERY LITTLE on not telling you anything for it to work like most detective shows such as Detective Conan and Scooby Doo. Though the show isn't that smart and the anime goes NOWHERE! (or rather the ending was disapointing. It has a movie too and it is a prequil).
-There was one anime I seen... That got worse as it went along... however Mrs. Marple was in it and she was by far the best detective in the Anime... UNTIL she started getting involved in murder after murder. So I guess if you would like to see one series of episodes that would work too.

Dang It I HAVE to know something. I like Intellectual things... I just hate gore and sob stories (that seem to attract psychological thrillers)
Pages: 1 ... 479 480 [481] 482 483 ... 2193