Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35940 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2009, 10:43:10 am »

EDIT: Nevermind, TOURIST dock. No reason I assume, since you don't load cargo in tourist docks.
Aye. In Tropico 1 I built my own "tourist docks": 1 extra dock that would only accept yachts and no freighters, with 1 guy working there. As long as the job slot is filled, it's operational, no matter WHERE the worker actually is. As far as I can tell there was nothing gained from having more folks work there.

MAAAAYYYYYBE it affects service quality and therefore how much the tourists pay for the boatride?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 02, 2009, 04:50:09 pm »

Well, if it's as least as good as Tropico 1 then I'll buy it. In Tropico 1 the thing that pissed me off to no end was lazy dockworkers who decide to inhabit the tenement on the other side of the island from his dock. It will singlehandily make your island go from a healthy economy to bankrupt and your soldiers coup'ing from being unable to pay their wages.

As for Tropico 2:

AHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOY

Sa-cre-BLU!

Those quotes were probably the best part of the game after you play a few maps.

FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 02, 2009, 11:21:33 pm »

It's pretty cool game, everything is more intelligent than the first one, and I didn't get on any bugs.
Also the cars feature is nice, but you should pay attention to the road layout, if you use only a 'main road' to many parts of the island, depending on the game time you'll be almost bankrupt.

Sometimes the island/starting buildings are positioned in a way that you just can't help the traffic flow, also the small profit you get on the begginning, plus the people complaining about the lack of church/clinic/school can make you forget about the layout depending on your gaming style..

But it's fun, poor thing I've got a weak machine and can't run it well.
The thing I most liked on Tropico 1 was the difference a bribe or an assassination could make, it was like DF where each dwarf is an important unit. At least it was back then, now I just don't care about people.

Hell, I played tropico 1 when I was 14 years old or less, I spent so much time killing, bribing and sending those little people to prison to see how it would influence their life, or their familiars..memories lol
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #168 on: October 04, 2009, 01:24:44 am »

I didn't play Tropico 2.

Tropico 1 is one of my favourite games.  Everything was superb.  remember the music!!!???  Best soundtrack in a game!

I'll have to wait and see.

“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2009, 07:03:22 am »

Soundtrack is true to part 1. I'm not completely sure what's going on, however, I think they kinda picked some wrongish tunes. After a few hours I feel the need to squelch it, while the other ear still wants to listen and keeps telling me "but it's the tropico sound".

I think it's just one or two tunes which are... too fast? too loud? too stressy? Ida know, something's up, but no biggie.

Also, I'm a bit miffed with the radio: The speaker has no problem giving you the same messages every few hours... the thing with the porcelain cat and whatnot. I find that annoying. While on the other hand... assume the DJ said something just recently, and now you issue an edict, and the according radio message you had never heard. Well, too bad, you wont hear it now, either, because the silence timer hasnt run out -.-

If you take a closer look you begin to see A LOT of details that reek of "rushed release", I kid you not. Admittedly, they are covered up quite well by all the eyecandy (the darn islands you can build DO look very nice), but it's there - and I'm pissed a bit about it.

I also have some gripes with the political system but won't comment til I confirmed it's not coming from any campaign mission setting.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2009, 08:35:30 am »

it crashed while loading :'(
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2009, 10:06:21 pm »

Yeah, I loved the Tropico 1 soundtrack.
Since I'm brazilian, I can understand like 60% of what they sing/say..The other 40% I get after hearing a thousand times while playing.

Tropico 3 soundtrack is weak I think, there's like 3 or 4 songs? And there's one I really HATE.

One of the songs say (in the chorus) something like 'Voy almoçar y beber my cerbessa' (may be completely wrong because I think it's spanish or something), which means "I'm gonna have lunch and drink my beer", that's full of win due to it's simplicity and resembles the Tropico atmosphere..people wake up, work their ass off, receive some dollars and go to a pub or something. That's their everyday life..
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 04, 2009, 11:09:09 pm »

great Gabeux! I'm glad to see some South America representin' around here :P

I'm spanish but I'm currently living in Argentina.

The lyrics of Tropico 1 were awesome and were never tiring.  The expansion didn't have the same quality songs (I heard the soundtrack, didn't play the expansion)

Tropico even has Eva Perón and Perón himself as characters in the dossier... wich I found extremely funny (but others may find insulting, hehe)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2009, 10:06:42 am »

I'm peruvian, the soundtrack is nice. I never got really into it, because it's got a more central-american or Cuban vibe, but I loved the T1 song about spanking your donkey or something like that.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 05, 2009, 11:33:30 am »

Tropico even has Eva Perón and Perón himself as characters in the dossier... wich I found extremely funny (but others may find insulting, hehe)

As opposed to Pay-Per-View State of the Unions?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2009, 11:42:28 am »

I'm peruvian, the soundtrack is nice. I never got really into it, because it's got a more central-american or Cuban vibe, but I loved the T1 song about spanking your donkey or something like that.

No!!!  :D  He was talking about his lady!   :D 

que le doy una nalgada,
con cariño y con amor,
quiero verla entusiasmada,
quiero verla con las ganas,
como las que traigo yo,

roughly: I'll give her a spank with love and affection.  I want to see her enthused (or excited).  I want to see her with the same eagerness as me.
whole Lyrics of Manuel Indart's Huepa Huepa.

It obviously does have a cuban vibe but do you only like peruvian music?  ??? come on!  I love "El condor Pasa" for example...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:30 pm »

No!!!  :D  He was talking about his lady!   :D 

que le doy una nalgada,
con cariño y con amor,
quiero verla entusiasmada,
quiero verla con las ganas,
como las que traigo yo,

roughly: I'll give her a spank with love and affection.  I want to see her enthused (or excited).  I want to see her with the same eagerness as me.
whole Lyrics of Manuel Indart's Huepa Huepa.

It obviously does have a cuban vibe but do you only like peruvian music?  ??? come on!  I love "El condor Pasa" for example...

I like many kinds of music, but cuban is not something I listen to normally. I probably couldn't name a single cuban singer (not counting those that "moved" to Miami and made sound with machines). Well, maybe Celia Cruz.

About the lyrics, I always wondered why the guy liked his donkey so much that he kissed her and stuff. I must have missed a paragraph.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:30:06 pm by Sergius »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2009, 10:48:47 am »

So, what does tropico 3 have that tropico 2 doesn't?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2009, 11:01:50 am »

Hey there Alexhans, I forgot about this topic :| , but yeah, there's little to no people based in south america here I think.

I lack history knowledge, but you can see that T1 and T3 makes mention to many historic characters.

And I didn't play T2, but I believe it's almost the same thing as T1..so T3 got cars and graphics, a more-demanding populace, less cool songs, an avatar editor (lol), paved roads, and..Love alpha?

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2009, 12:07:10 pm »

Um, Tropico 2 was a pirate strategy game. Tropico 1 & 3 is 20th century banana republic dictator strategy. That's the difference.

Been playing the demo and my first impression is very good. It plays like the Tropico I knew and loved, with a bit of new additions and the scenery is beautiful!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 24