Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24

Author Topic: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.  (Read 35933 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Re: Tropico 3, optimism is welcome.
« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2009, 12:21:03 pm »

^ This. Sums up pretty much everything I think about this game. Oh and the music great too.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2009, 03:41:00 pm »

Yep Sartain, and I forgot to add how awesome it is to look those buildings in 3D, they are the same/look like the ones from Tropico I.
One might say it's lack of creativity to use the same buildings, I say its nostalgic win.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 16, 2009, 08:13:07 am »

Did you notice how, at any given time, you could actually continue el presidentes election speech with the 2nd part of the bible thingy samuel l jackson did in pulp fiction? the melody fits perfectly...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

fits perfectly... soundwise, the meaning might come across a bit weird.... but the sound..

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 16, 2009, 08:43:30 am »

I was poking around on the developer's forums and i saw something about them working on a patch to fix some things, including the radio. Very good game, the road's are very, very handy. I'll upload a couple of screenshots i took from the demo if i remember tommorow.

A few hints that have probably been said before: save the game when you get the victory message, load it up and you can keep playing indefinatly.
Magma is overrated.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #184 on: October 16, 2009, 01:20:42 pm »

Did you notice how, at any given time, you could actually continue el presidentes election speech with the 2nd part of the bible thingy samuel l jackson did in pulp fiction? the melody fits perfectly...

fits perfectly... soundwise, the meaning might come across a bit weird.... but the sound..
??? explain please... are speeches a new feature or something?
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2009, 06:58:52 pm »

When elections are coming up, at the point you can decide whether or not you actually want to let people vote, you can choose to give a speech, if you want to do so.

You can talk about several issues, blow sugar up a factions arse and even make a promise for your next mandate(<- that the correct word?).

Then the game puts together a speech you can listen to in the radio... its sort of a modular system, there are different voicesets the game can choose from. Not overly complex, but also not straightforward dumb and the-same-everytime, either. For instance, the way presidente addresses the people ("comrades", "companeros" or whatever) sorta depends on how you lead the nation.

Imho the voice actor is pretty good, but the fact, that you can make a seamless transition to samuel l. jackson's famous ezekiel 25:17 speech sorta haunts me, in a funny way.

A few hints that have probably been said before: save the game when you get the victory message, load it up and you can keep playing indefinatly.
I'm not quite sure yet, but it seems you cannot get kicked out of office after the set timeframe that is used to calculate your score has run out. (be it elections, rebels or a coup. also... I'm pretty sure the superpowers wont try to invade)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 07:14:12 pm by Puck »

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2009, 07:10:32 pm »

How long does the demo last? I really want to see the Speech thing in action.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2009, 07:14:54 pm »

2 Campaign missions, innit?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2009, 07:16:54 pm »

I wonder if my computer can run this... Tropico was awesome.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2009, 07:27:24 pm »

Elections are part of what your "avatar" does. The President is a walking figure that you can move anywhere, and you can do several things to different buildings. Like, visiting a pub takes a couple of minutes and raises the quality of the pub for a while. Or it speeds construction times, or makes farms more efficient. Visiting the Palace makes your "avatar" call a bunch of people around it, raise public opinion or something. They will stop working during that time too.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2009, 07:32:38 pm »

That, however, is _another_ sort of speech.

the pre-election thingy can be used to sway voters of certain factions. While the balcony thing just increases respect ratio of the people in range.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2009, 07:41:36 pm »

Elections are part of what your "avatar" does. The President is a walking figure that you can move anywhere, and you can do several things to different buildings. Like, visiting a pub takes a couple of minutes and raises the quality of the pub for a while. Or it speeds construction times, or makes farms more efficient. Visiting the Palace makes your "avatar" call a bunch of people around it, raise public opinion or something. They will stop working during that time too.

So, El Presidente is taking a playbook from Kim il-Sung, doing random "inspections" and giving "on the spot guidance" that everybody has to follow otherwise they get demoted to Blood Splater?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2009, 08:03:07 pm »

El presidentes possible interactions are mainly violence free.
Unless he joins in on defense of buildings that get attacked by rebels.

Everything else is peaceful and nice. (How exactly he increases production or service efficiency is totally left to your imagination)

If you send him to a peaceful protest, people will just scatter, no violence there.

But you can give all the nice orders (and some more) regarding single citizens: you can have them shot by the military, you can have them denounced, you can bribe them, lock them up... and ... well... some new stuff, we dont wanna spoil everything, right  ;D

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2009, 08:07:49 pm »

You must tell me about the new stuff...

TELL KITTY...
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2009, 08:15:05 pm »

No wai.

If you liked tropico 1, you can as well play that. I dont think tropico 3 is all _that_ different.

It looks a lot nicer, its fun to toy around in all that eyecandy, its easier to build islands for more than say 200 peeps (in part 1 that was about the most I felt comfortable with) by using roads and garages.

But the mojo of the good parts of the game is basically the same.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 24