Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62

Author Topic: Incursion  (Read 125666 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Incursion
« Reply #795 on: May 11, 2014, 02:41:06 am »

Hey-o.

I've just started giving this game a try. It looks interesting but the inventory system is giving me a bit of trouble. (Feels a bit like the one used in Omega, btw).

The problem is that I can't work out how to take stuff from containers on the floor and put them quickly into my backpack. Each time I need to
- open container
- get item from container
- hold in ready hand
- exit container screen
- open inventory
- stow item
- exit inventory screen

If there's like 20 items in a chest that's pretty ridiculous. There must be an easier way, right?
()==[:::::::::::::>

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 11, 2014, 02:45:05 am »

Hey-o.

I've just started giving this game a try. It looks interesting but the inventory system is giving me a bit of trouble. (Feels a bit like the one used in Omega, btw).

The problem is that I can't work out how to take stuff from containers on the floor and put them quickly into my backpack. Each time I need to
- open container
- get item from container
- hold in ready hand
- exit container screen
- open inventory
- stow item
- exit inventory screen

If there's like 20 items in a chest that's pretty ridiculous. There must be an easier way, right?
Yeah, you can press tab while in the inventory management screen while dealing with containers to switch between your pack and the container to stow things in. It's still tedious, but it's less tedious.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 11, 2014, 03:50:16 am »

Yeah, you can press tab while in the inventory management screen while dealing with containers to switch between your pack and the container to stow things in. It's still tedious, but it's less tedious.

Thanks. Now all I have to do is stop getting beat up by zombie ponies. :P

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 11, 2014, 03:51:49 am »

(Feels a bit like the one used in Omega, btw).

That's because it's the one used in Omega :)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 11, 2014, 03:54:24 am »

Horses are evil. Don't fight horses.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: May 11, 2014, 05:44:57 am »

Horses are evil. Don't fight horses.

I shall bear that in mind.

While I'm here, virtually speaking, I can't see the costs in the store.  It seems that they have wrapped around and are partially displaying to the left of the screen.
e.g.
__01 uncursed food ration
3_02 uncursed dagger
7203 9 uncursed potions of cure disease

I'm playing in full screen on 1920 x 1080 resolution fontsize 12x16. 8x8 fontsize isn't any better, although 16x12 _does_ work. It just looks like crap. :P

Is that a known bug and is there any way around it?

P.S. 26,000 for a cure disease? Dat dwarf must really hate Drow. (lol surprise :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 11, 2014, 09:19:15 am »

F8 by default. There's a loot macro, heh.

And yeah, prices are bloody expensive if you don't have decent cha and some ranks in diplomacy.

That said, especially for high luck characters, you'll be able to buy anything in that store regardless of your charisma or social skills by around the sixth or seventh (maybe eighth or ninth, I'unno. Before the end, anyway.) dungeon level, if you can stand backtracking (and it often is a good idea for that ID wand, if you don't find enough sources of ID elsewhere before then). I've had characters end the game with around a million GP, iirc (if, admittedly, a base 18 -- that is, 22 effective starting off -- luck halfling in challenge mode >_>). Definitely over 500k.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 09:21:07 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 11, 2014, 11:52:21 am »

Kinda why I like worming my way around to having Knowledge (Magic) as a skill, so I can research stuff for free in the library.  Takes time, and unless you've got a good rating it's not exactly guaranteed, but it's still free and it trains intelligence like mad.  You can also use it to remove curses on things.

I generally just completely ignore the store itself, the prices are obscenely inflated and you're quite capable of either finding or making better stuff in the dungeon by the time you'd have enough cash to spend on that.  I normally only really stock up on coins if I'm planning on crafting a lot of items myself, like alchemist/scribe/smith characters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 11, 2014, 01:02:43 pm »

Coins are like a high score for me, heh. I always hoard gold and platinum, just to see how much I can walk out of the dungeon with. No more than that, though, and in challenge games the gold sometimes gets left behind eventually... when you're toting like 50 stone worth of gold, it's time to offload. Most I actually tend to use the stuff on, beyond the store, is the occasional barter. If you've got enough cha (13 min, iirc), you can get some pretty nice buffs out of that.

Store itself... I pretty regularly nab some early game stuff -- all mages immediately buy leather armor and wear it. Do this, or bonebats will eat your brain (any coverage at all will negate bonebat stat damage -- yes, that means mage armor doesn't do jack against them.). Also small critters will trade in the small backpack for gnomish, if possible. My casters will do that if they're medium, too, since it offers a larger unique item cap and weight load, but smaller max item size (i.e. if you're not toting around weapons in it, you're better off with gnomish). Mages are also likely to buy a book or two -- the store tends to sell place and time and practical divinings, ferex, both of which have some fairly useful spells (call companions, detect secret door, etc.) that you want ASAP.

Beyond that, it's not uncommon to haul back for cure disease/poison, remove curse, or that ID wand if the dungeon isn't being helpful that day or (in the case of disease/poison/curse) I'm sufficiently desperate and full up on cash. Actual cha/diplo critters sometimes heads back up after finding transoil and plenty of gold, to pick up one of those ridiculous +5 doom weapons the shop's carrying or somethin'. Shop actually tends to have some killer kit in it, it's just by the time you've got the gold you've forgotten the shop exists, ha.

As for Knowledge (Magic)... I tend to forget it can do that, ha. Most non-scroll scribers just invest a bit in decipher script instead, coast on squeezing more out of ID scrolls. And the scroll scribers eventually end up able to scribe greater ID scrolls, at which point the identification game becomes rather superfluous, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: May 14, 2014, 11:36:21 am »

Okay, little uncertain whether or not this has been covered before, buuut...

As some of y'all may be aware, you cannot advance beyond level 2 as a druid unless you are either devoted to one of the so-called "druid gods", or to no god at all.  I didn't find any readily available list of which gods these were, so I did a little testing and worked out which ones are A-Okay.

Spoiler: Druid Gods (click to show/hide)

Some of you may be surprised by a couple of the names on there, and others may be surprised by names that aren't on the list.  Neither Ekliazeh nor Khasrach are defined as "druid gods", so starting off worshiping them will prevent you from increasing beyond level 2 as a druid.  The Multitude is also not considered a druid god (how bizarre!).

Note that this only refers to which god you are devoted to.  The restriction doesn't care about who or how many gods you're a lay worshiper of.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: May 15, 2014, 02:49:20 am »

Companions and allies are a pain.

I was playing a neutral good priest, ran into a neutral halfling priest in the dungeon. 'Cool', I thought, 'I'll hang near him and give him a hand.'

He gets into a battle with a tiefling and summons some celestial help, I do the same, his help attacks me, my help attacks his help. >_<

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 15, 2014, 05:47:33 am »

Ouch. Just hit a game-ending bug.

1. Load game.
2. Take 10 steps in any direction.
3. Game freezes (center of screen has a red [message box] window with no text).

:(

Goodbye dwarf priest (your god hated you :P

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: May 15, 2014, 08:02:01 am »

And that is why you never, ever take devotion to the Random Number God.

chooseusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 15, 2014, 06:13:54 pm »

Ouch. Just hit a game-ending bug.

1. Load game.
2. Take 10 steps in any direction.
3. Game freezes (center of screen has a red [message box] window with no text).

:(

Are you using the latest version?

Can you compress and upload the save file to an issue on the bitbucket site?
If you are providing a save file to reproduce an Incursion bug, please compress it and attach it to an issue on the bitbucket site.  I recommend 7zip for compression.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 15, 2014, 06:34:28 pm »

Great to see people have taken up fixing Incursion!

I haven't tested the new version yet, but in ye Olde One at least, playing a priest of the demon ghosts was very buggy, randomly leading into crashes after you pissed them off.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62