Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Most obscure game you've ever played?  (Read 27564 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Most obscure game you've ever played?
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2009, 04:25:07 am »

It's just funny. I never hear anything about it ever until I mention it, and everyone suddenly has something to say. I guess that's how guilty pleasures work, huh?
!!&!!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2009, 11:48:17 am »

Rival Realms. Warcraft like fantasy RTS/RPG where every unit has it's own xp bar, stats and inventory. No idea who published it.
Skullcaps. Another RTS, cartoon psuedo 3d this time which can best be described as militarized lemmings.
Both are so obscure i can't find them in any used game store, abandonware site or torrent/newsgroup.
I got them from a Twilight CD but looking for that has become pretty much impossible due to the popularity of a similary named novel/film. I found a few scammy looking paysites that claim to have it but that's it.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2009, 12:28:11 pm »

The most obscure game I've ever played was this one RTS game where you try to creat a dwaven outpost in a generic fantasy setting, maybe you've heard of it?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Googolplexed

• Bay Watcher
  • My avatar is of whitespace, Not the firefox logo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2009, 12:37:15 pm »

Dwarven Outpost ?
Sounds like a good game. It might even beat dwarf fortress.

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2009, 12:41:50 pm »

The Silent Storm Series
They play much like Xcom and Fallout Tactics set in WWII. Not sure how obscure they are worldwide, but in the US very few of my gamer freinds know about the game. Unfortunately, they do not function on my CPU any longer, damn windows.

Also, Gladius for the Xbox.
Much like Final Fantasy Tactics. What a great game, pity they will never make another
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2009, 07:44:54 pm »

Rival Realms. Warcraft like fantasy RTS/RPG where every unit has it's own xp bar, stats and inventory. No idea who published it.
Skullcaps. Another RTS, cartoon psuedo 3d this time which can best be described as militarized lemmings.
Both are so obscure i can't find them in any used game store, abandonware site or torrent/newsgroup.
I got them from a Twilight CD but looking for that has become pretty much impossible due to the popularity of a similary named novel/film. I found a few scammy looking paysites that claim to have it but that's it.

I don't know about Rival Realms (wasn't that the first RTS ever to have units with RPG-like stats?), but a quick Google told me Skullcaps is the sequel to Baldies. And Baldies can be found at the Abandonia site (www.abandonia.com). Baldies was fun.

As were L.E.D. Wars, Gruntz, Dark Colony and Fragile Allegiance. Especially Fragile Allegiance. I still hate the Rigellians with a passion, ever since they nuked one of my asteroids. I nuked them back ... with an Asteroid Missile! BOOM! HAHAHAHA!

Conquest of the New World also has a special place in my heart. Falcon 4.0 too. The TIE Fighter serie. Apache 2000. Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe. So many good memories.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2009, 08:01:25 pm »

Any one ever play Twilight 2000? I promise it had nothing to do with glittering vampires.

(the PC game not the PnP)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2009, 08:29:45 pm »

The Silent Storm Series
They play much like Xcom and Fallout Tactics set in WWII. Not sure how obscure they are worldwide, but in the US very few of my gamer freinds know about the game. Unfortunately, they do not function on my CPU any longer, damn windows.

Much like Final Fantasy Tactics. What a great game, pity they will never make another
I have Gladius its a good game.

Twinsen's Odyssey is the most obscure for me. Its 3rd person, you are a guy in a clan of wizards and your world is attacked by aliens or something of the such and you go on an adventure to save it. It was a lot of fun and I might pick it up again.

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2009, 09:25:24 pm »

Unfortunately, they do not function on my CPU any longer, damn windows.

Have you tried something like this  http://www.dosbox.com/  , it's an old school x86 dos emulator and works with vista 32 and 64 bit systems.I haven't tried this in it's recent incarnation but used a version a couple years back and it worked wonders. Worth a try if your determined to revisit the past...hehe.  Oh the joy of setting up low, high and extended memory etc  :D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 09:27:13 pm by Buddybud »

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2009, 09:33:11 pm »

Sapiens, without a doubt. I never could figure out how to shape stone weapons, and thus was a lousy caveman.

Slightly behind sapiens, Rise and Rule of Ancient Empires. I've never met anyone who played it.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2009, 09:33:25 pm »

The Silent Storm Series

I have Gladius its a good game.

Twinsen's Odyssey is the most obscure for me. Its 3rd person, you are a guy in a clan of wizards and your world is attacked by aliens or something of the such and you go on an adventure to save it. It was a lot of fun and I might pick it up again.

That would be part 2 of the little big adventures series. Part one has you fight off an evil overloard who has pretty much enslaved the whole planet.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2009, 10:11:21 pm »

Pepe's Puzzles, or possibly Peppy's Puzzles.  It was a game for the Sega Pico, something I had when I was very very young.  The Pico itself is still in my basement, but I doubt it works.  I had Peppy's Puzzles, Huck and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever, possibly Tails' Music Maker, and I'm pretty sure I had more but I don't remember.  This is going way back, almost as far back as my memories go.  The only stuff that's older is when I broke my leg, and a lot of those are manufactured/inaccurate.
Shoes...

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2009, 10:13:53 pm »

I Want My Mommy - Atari 2600.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2009, 11:07:56 pm »

Don't. I got it, and it's one of the most disappointing games ever.
Noooooooooo! My hopes and dreams for SSE!

The enemy AI, for instance, does NOTHING but approach you until you are in range and then fire. I think (not sure), if you're grouped, they might try grenades. But that's it, I kid you not. The "AI settings" for your party members are basically a joke. Especially given how the enemy AI acts.
Did you ever play their previous game? Soldiers of Anarchy? The most advanced thing the enemy AI does is investigate loud noises before shrugging it off and resuming their patrol. The only reason this was excusable is because the only thing keeping your men from dying in one second under gunfire was a kevlar vest (which would disintegrate under gunfire in one second too) and that the opfor ALWAYS has better and bigger stuff than you. You'd have to execute a perfect plan of attack or your men dropped like newbs in XCOM for every town you encountered.

Bad AI can be alright, it just depends on how much that affects the reason you'd implement AI, namely how well the enemy can kill you. But from what I saw, The Fall had the KOTOR approach to damage.

Anyway, back on topic.
Allegiance
claiming Gamespot's award for "Best Game No One Played"
Like Homeworld, except that ships were piloted by actual players. So it was like what Natural Selection was to Half-Life, but to Homeworld. Problem was that you needed a large group of dedicated people playing for it to work well. Was released for free by Microsoft Studios.

Urban Assault
Clunky interface and controls, good with a joystick, and rather difficult. It was a cool idea, an RTS FPS in which you beat down other factions and gain new units. It's abandonware now I think. Also Microsoft Studios.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2009, 11:12:48 pm »

I liked Allegiance, but I wasn't very good at it.  It's the kind of game I'd come back to eventually.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20