Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: DF: I present to you, the "God Dam"!  (Read 10413 times)

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF: I present to you, the "God Dam"!
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2008, 02:42:47 pm »

I thought the saves were forward compatible...

yes, they should be. i am too lazy too do that... and i am not even sure about what i need to do to make it work.

edit: i think i'll try to do that, if i find enough informations on the forum. my plan was to delete dwarf fortress 39e and download the next one (the one that won't allow saves from older DF). but this place is too interesting

edit2: since i am already here, and i can't remember where i read what to do to take saves to new version... could somebody explain me that?

40d is backward compatable, it's the last version that's planned to backward compatable, since the next update is planned to have some major updates to it.

All you have to do to take your saves over is make sure that you don't delete your dwarf fortress/data/save folder, or that you have a copy of it saved somewhere, and put it back into the same place.

You could even just download the new version, and put it into a separate directory, and then copy the saves over, and run the new version to make sure everything works right before you delete the old one(or you could even just keep the old one and run that one for your old fortress and the new ones for new fortresses, etc. etc.)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2008, 02:48:13 pm »

ok, thanks.
i hope i dont do anything wrong... it seems easy.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2008, 06:47:21 am »

i generated the world and started playing. wagon started on the river. before i could take everything inside, the ice melted, and all my food and seeds went to the bottom of the river. same for the cook and animals. luckly animals can swim.
i'll have to forage a bit to survive, but everything seems fine. fort entrance is on the side of the river, walled. 
next year i odn't know what iwll happen, but i have the feeling that i'll get a underwater fort.

news about the dam?

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2008, 10:17:36 am »

Is it possible to dam rivers without them ever freezing?

I just embarked on a nice map with a major river valley down the middle and I'm planning on building a massive castle that straddles the river...wanted to know if I can dam it as well. (but it's a warm map)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2008, 10:19:00 am »

I just embarked on a nice map with a major river valley down the middle and I'm planning on building a massive castle that straddles the river...wanted to know if I can dam it as well. (but it's a warm map)

Yeah, you could pump out the water pretty easily to allow your dwarves to scurry in and build the dam.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2008, 12:00:26 pm »

Pumping is probably the best option for this.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

Newtons.Bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2008, 01:34:32 pm »

You can also mine out a diversionary tunnel underneath the river, then build a platform above the river and collapse the platform.  This will create a hole in the floor under the river thus diverting it.  Just be sure to place some floodgates in your diversionary tunnel so that it can be shut down and the river will assume it's normal path.

scribbler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2008, 05:47:42 pm »

It's always kind of bugged me that I can't embark in a canyon, build an enormous dam, and then have the upstream side of the canyon fill up - water entering a map isn't under pressure, the stream just sits there.
What if you used pumps to bring water to the top of the dam and dump it off? Would it treat the spout as the new water level?
End the slaughter of dorf kittens!
No self respecting beard wants to wear his pet as clothing! Dorfs need population control for pets and bad thoughts from products made from the animals they choose to bond with.
---------
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats."
-Albert Schweitzer

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 07:07:15 pm »

It's always kind of bugged me that I can't embark in a canyon, build an enormous dam, and then have the upstream side of the canyon fill up - water entering a map isn't under pressure, the stream just sits there.
What if you used pumps to bring water to the top of the dam and dump it off? Would it treat the spout as the new water level?
Yes.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2008, 06:53:15 pm »

Odd.  The map given has a bug where it doesn't properly unhide the tiles directly under the upper river's dropoff.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2008, 08:24:56 pm »

Yeah, the game keeps tiles immediately behind waterfalls hidden for some reason.

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2008, 08:15:11 am »

I just have to thank you for this topic, it has rekindled my love for DF.

I haven't been able to get into DF lately, and this topic has reminded me that there are still things to be conquered in the Dwarf world.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2008, 08:39:32 am »

3700 stone sounds like it's not hollow. You really want to make a SOLID dam? Heh.

Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2008, 03:30:18 pm »

If you dam a river will the water downstream of it(in adventure mode) be dry?
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2008, 03:42:24 pm »

Probanly, constructions stay constructed.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4