Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: DF: I present to you, the "God Dam"!  (Read 10412 times)

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF: I present to you, the "God Dam"!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2008, 04:55:08 pm »

nah, boatmurded was the 2D version, that had yearly (or more) flooding, btu it worked differently.

In 3D, the flooding like this is very rare.  Can we get the world information?
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2008, 07:52:34 pm »

Boatmurdered was back in the 2D version of the game, and much of the flooding was a combination of bad luck and bad planning.

Still, though, to encounter the interaction between biomes that you have is amazing.  Most people never run into any of these issues.

I'm pretty sure I would rate lower on the Dawrfiness scale than you - I'd promptly abandon that place as soon as I saw the flooding....
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2008, 08:08:08 pm »

Yea, it would be really nice to get the seed of this thing.  If you don't know how, just export local image (under the ESC menu).  This will give you a text file with the world gen info in whatever folder you store DF in.  It's also how you get the required info for the DF map archive.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2008, 08:53:48 pm »

You could probably use a lot of the systems I used in my recent creation:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=25500.0

It's on hold for about a week, midterms & two papers = little time for dwarfiness >.<
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh wait... Dwarves like food, don't they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2008, 04:00:26 am »

The world info is below.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I didn't do much modification to the world except down the end year. My goal was to play this world as long as I could until all 75 megabeasts were dead, and I get bored.

To give you guys a precise location of my fortress, I made a screenshot after abandoning the fort. (don't worry, I scummed)

I'm not exactly sure how accurate random generation is between systems, so if you guys need me to regenerate the world, and upload it, I'd be glad.
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.
Murderhold Discussion thread

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2008, 04:38:02 am »

hmm... i'll try to generate this in 39e.

do you have the seed?

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2008, 04:49:58 am »

Look in the spoilers mate. And it wont work on .39e, it was done in .40d.
Magma is overrated.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2008, 04:58:37 am »

so seeds aren't the same ? :(

unluckly i am busy with a megaproject in 39e and i can't upgrade. maybe i'll do after i abandon (because i'lll abandon it. too much lag, not enough wood.)

keep us updated about the dam

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2008, 05:35:02 am »

I thought the saves were forward compatible...
Murderhold - A story about a fortress closed off from the world, attempting to survive a zombie-infested wilderness.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2008, 05:37:55 am »

I just genned your world and in started ontop of a frozen river. Alot of it has thawed already and i don't know how long the ice will hold. Seems like an awesome place for a fort to me.

Oh and my wagon is apperently outfitted with camo because i can't see the bloody thing anywhere despite it being listed as building.

I think i'm going to build my fort right behind that waterfall and see how i can make an entrace that is both resistant to invaders, the floods and is safe for merchants and woodcutters. If only i had a way to get there before next winter...
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2008, 06:04:27 am »

I just genned your world and in started ontop of a frozen river. Alot of it has thawed already and i don't know how long the ice will hold. Seems like an awesome place for a fort to me.

Oh and my wagon is apperently outfitted with camo because i can't see the bloody thing anywhere despite it being listed as building.

I think i'm going to build my fort right behind that waterfall and see how i can make an entrace that is both resistant to invaders, the floods and is safe for merchants and woodcutters. If only i had a way to get there before next winter...

The waterfall isn't a great spot to dig in the first winter. I'd advise the canyon east of the waterfall as a place to store your food and starting goods until the river re-freezes. On top of that, the river floods when the center of the river freezes over, as the waterfall creates a two or even three story wall of water. You are going to need to either create a secondary exit, and a floodgate to keep the water out, or you are going to have to dam the waterfall in the spring and fall.

Good luck!

The lower portion of the post will tell you everything you need to know about the map. might be spoilers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 06:20:33 am by Ter13 »

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2008, 06:26:28 am »

I managed to salvage about half my supplies to my little cove but 3 dwarves drowned when the ice melted. Now i'm completely cut off, with a river infront of me, an aquifier above me if i read this correctly and 4 very unhappy dwarves that are very unlikely to last with the ammount of food i got. Atlest there's a river so i can cook the booze. And it's not even the 16th of granite. I feel like doing a succession game on this map.

Edit: Falling fish from the waterfall painted the entire west bank red.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Ter13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2008, 07:21:09 am »

I managed to salvage about half my supplies to my little cove but 3 dwarves drowned when the ice melted. Now i'm completely cut off, with a river infront of me, an aquifier above me if i read this correctly and 4 very unhappy dwarves that are very unlikely to last with the ammount of food i got. Atlest there's a river so i can cook the booze. And it's not even the 16th of granite. I feel like doing a succession game on this map.

Edit: Falling fish from the waterfall painted the entire west bank red.

heh, mine got pretty well filled with dead deer after the river froze over and melted then froze again.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2008, 08:07:11 am »

I thought the saves were forward compatible...

yes, they should be. i am too lazy too do that... and i am not even sure about what i need to do to make it work.

edit: i think i'll try to do that, if i find enough informations on the forum. my plan was to delete dwarf fortress 39e and download the next one (the one that won't allow saves from older DF). but this place is too interesting

edit2: since i am already here, and i can't remember where i read what to do to take saves to new version... could somebody explain me that?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 08:47:41 am by andrea »

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 09:16:17 am »

They seem to move forward fine, except for minor issues if the old one was pre-local leaders.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4