Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 81

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods II: an RP Thread  (Read 106436 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods II: an RP Thread
« Reply #675 on: June 05, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

((Sorry for before, especially Imp, I'll do the semi-boring version that results if people really want me to... tomorrow or somesuch.
I can still do some stuff whit it, but I's a bit empty compared to what it could have been. But I could do it.))
Edit :((I should probably not do this, not because I cant, but beause I am taking this far to seriously and I threatens to become some kind of social situation instead of a fun RP.))

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Armok ]

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 05, 2008, 09:53:00 pm »

(ooc: Frelock ,the ambassador would have brought books about all kinds of Knowledge like Math, Herbalism and simple Physics. On the trinket side were some Gold pieces and sketches of Stills, Mechanics etc. 10 Shovels, 1 barrel with Booze, 20 pound Paper, 2 litres Ink and so on. Mainly everything you need to Run an Embassy)

Silis was looking onto some sketches (f* i have a Failure in the Sketch: The Lafette has an Diameter of 17 Metres nor a Radius) which were pinned on the wall as one of his Guards comes in.

"Thats quite a Monster! And we realy need this thing?" asked the Guard.
"Yeah i think so. The Ipetians dont have such weapons so we must build them."
"What Ammo eats that thing?"
"Oh i fought about Harpoons, very heavy Boulders, The Heads of the Giants and such things"
"Realy? Isnt that just overkill?"
"Overkill? There is no overkill there is only fire and reload my friend."
"But that thing is so dammed huge!"
"Well if your siegeweapon only makes a hole it is to small. Let us do 3 or 4 of this Babys and then we make something normal."
"Well Riet has stated that we can go and recover now our stuff if we are ready."
"Tell him that im coming"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this turn i like to double the number of the Roshani in Wijnfontein if nobody has something against it. None of my citys grows this turn.

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[ June 05, 2008: Message edited by: Heph ]

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 06, 2008, 12:07:00 am »

((oh come on Armok, you volunteered, and now you will have to write it. And it's not a matter of being biased or not. Sometimes there are strategies that simply cannot be beaten by other strategies. It doesn't matter wether my strategy is awesome and Imp's strategy is boring. The question is, would his strategy be able to cope with mine. I doubt it, but oh meh, that's for you to decide. Also, I have the feeling that your gory humor is the only thing that can turn this event into something enjoyable to read by boh sides, and not some sort of arguement about every little thing and wether or not it should apply))

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Akroma ]

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 06, 2008, 02:23:00 am »

Something was bothering Riet.  He couldn't put his finger on it.  Was it something that needed to be done?  Or perhaps something that was happening that shouldn't be?  He strolled around an unsettled part of the forest, a hard place to find, considering Wijnfontein's enormous growth in population.  Riet sighed; the population influx was indeed a problem, though not so serious as to warrant worry.  

A twig cracked.  Riet looked towards the source of the noise and saw Snel, humming softly and watching the birds flit from tree to tree.  When he noticed Riet, he apologized, "Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt."

"You're not interrupting anything," replied Riet, smiling at the youth's slight embarrassment, "I was just thinking."

"May I ask what about?"

"You may," answered Riet.

"I may what?" questioned Snel, confused.

"You may ask 'what about,'" said Riet, chuckling.

"It's just an expression..." said Snel, who managed a puzzled smiled at Riet's odd behavior.

Riet prompted him, "Go on, ask."

"Alright, what about?"

Riet shrugged his shoulders.  "I can't remember."  Snel stared at Riet for a moment, and they both broke into laughter.  "No, I remember, it was about how crowded Wijnfontein has been getting."  I know we need more manpower to help finish the temple, but it seems I can't get a moment to myself anymore.  Maybe it's just me being selfish."

"Ipossible," chided Snel, "You, the hero of the Ipetian people, selfish?  I doubt it.  Everyone has been feeling the pressure of so many living so close together.  But we need to keep a good bit of the forest clear to hunt in.  I suppose, if we established another settlement to the west, or to the north, it would reduce the pressure which we already put on this land."

North; that was where the giants had been.  Riet realized the specter of the giants still haunted him.  The Ipetians had come so close to a battle where dozens could have died.  But now, it would be very difficult to run from this place.  Here, they were building a temple which would last through the ages.  Here, the Roshanian were building their embassy a building which could not be moved should the circumstances require it.  From here, it would be very difficult to retreat.

"I think that's a good idea," said Riet, "The north is where the Roshani live, and where the giants come from.  It would be best if we established a connection to the rest of the world.  An outpost to the north would be an excellent start."  Riet stood thinking for a moment.  "How would you like to lead the expedition, Snel?  You're a capable leader."

"Me?" questioned Snel, wondering if he heard right.  "You're just flattering me.  I'm no great leader, and organization certainly isn't my forte."

"You wouldn't have to hold the position for long," reassured Riet, "just long enough to get things up and running.  Then you could come back here, if you wish, or perhaps lead another expedition north."

Snel thought about it for a moment.  "This seems very spur-of-the-moment, but I suppose I could do it."

"Glad to hear it." Riet smiled at him.  "I believe your brother, Pijl was his name, right?  In any case, I think he was part of the group which accompanied some of Silis's men in their retrieval expedition.  When he gets back, I'll be sure to send him over to help you out."

Snel chuckled.  "Help me out?  More like question my every decision and plot behind my back to overthrow me."  He left a moment of silence for Riet to wonder if he was serious.  "Kidding of course.  No one could ask for a more loyal and helpful brother.  He would definitely be useful in a new outpost."

"Well, it's settled then," said Riet with an air of finality.  "I'll ask around for some volunteers, and you'll leave the day after tomorrow."

code:

♣♣│♣♣....⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
♣♣└≈≈─○⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
.♣♣♣│⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
..⌂▲○▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲^▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
.⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂○┐..♣♣♣.÷. ▲▲▲⌂⌂○⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲≡~~∞~~⌂⌂▲○▲ ▲▲⌂....└┐..♣♣♣#. ⌂⌂⌂♣♣│♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲^▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~W~~⌂▲│▲ ▲▲♣♣♣...≈≈....D♣ ♣...┌┘♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲∞⌂~~⌂⌂~~~⌂▲│▲ ▲▲⌂♣♣♣.≈≈≈≈..... ┌─┐.│...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂▲▲⌂~⌂⌂▲│▲ ▲▲z=z==z≈≈└──┐.. │.└─≈≈─────○▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲┌┘▲ ▲▲⌂⌂♣♣♣┌┘....└#─ ┘....≈...♣♣.⌂▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲┌┘▲▲ ▲▲⌂⌂♣z.│.....⌂↑↑ ........♣♣♣♣┌○▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂○⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲‼══╗ ▲⌂⌂♣♣..│...⌂⌂#~↑ .........♣♣♣│⌂▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○▲▲╚ ═‼⌂,,,,╪,,⌂⌂~║~. ..........♣♣│♣⌂▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│♣⌂▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ⌂⌂...⌂.│..⌂⌂~╠↑# ≈≈≈≈≈≈....♣♣│♣⌂▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣└┐δ⌂ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲♥▲▲▲⌂⌂. .♣..⌂⌂⌂└─┐..⌂÷≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....│♣♣§
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣└┐⌂ ⌂⌂⌂○▲▲▲▲Å╗▲▲⌂... ♣♣♣♣.⌂...├v─Θ≈≈≈ ≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈..┌≈≈♣§
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂│♣ ♣⌂⌂│⌂⌂▲⌂⌂║⌂⌂...♣ ♣╔v╗♣♣.♣♣v....≈≈ ≈≈↑↑⌂≈≈≈≈≈.│.≈♣♣
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..┌─┴─ ─┐δ≈⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂Å..Å♣♣♣ ç╝≈╚╗♣♣♣┌┘....≈≈ ≈≈≈☻≈≈≈≈≈≈─┘...~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○──┘.⌂♣ ♣└─≈≈⌂⌂....≡──── Θ≈≈≈v─v═Θ♣♣...≈≈ ≈≈≈»≈≈≈≈....~~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..⌂⌂⌂ ♣♣≈≈δδç────┘...♣ ♣≈♣♣♣♣└─┘♣.c.≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈...P£.~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂... .♣♣♣δ..♣..♣♣♣..♣ ♣♣♣♣♣♣╞╞╞..≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈.↑↑↑£▲▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲^▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~. .♣♣..♣.♣♣♣♣♣♣♣.. ♣♣♣♣♣♣╞╞..≈≈≈≈≈≈ »≈≈»ΩΩ⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~~~ .♣♣♣..Φ..♣♣♣♣♣.. .♣♣♣♣⌂⌂T$≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑t≡▲▲▲▲⌂▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲⌂⌂▲⌂~~~~~~~~ .♣....ΦΦr..♣♣≡.. ♣♣♣.t¥♥t≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑↑▲▲⌂⌂.⌂▲▲⌂~~
▲▲⌂⌂~~⌂~~~~~~~~~ ......Φ......... .....⌂⌂≈»≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈»¥⌂▲♀..♀.▲⌂⌂~↑
⌂⌂~~≈≈≈≈≈↑↑⌂⌂~~~ ↑....≈≈≈........ ..≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲⌂≈≈♀▲⌂~↑≈
~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂▲▲▲▲ ⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.¥.≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲⌂.⌂▲⌂~~~
≈≈≈↑↑≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂⌂⌂ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂¥═¥≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~
≈≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈.↑≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂▲▲↑↑~≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲⌂⌂
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈.≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈↑⌂⌂▲♥⌂~~≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂▲▲⌂~

((Recovery group moves east, migrants move west, and a new settlement if founded to the north.  Thanks for the description, Heph))

code:

Wijnfontein - Wine Fountain: C of S plains          : Ipetian   : City
Zonsopgangziet - Sunrise watch: E of Wijnfontein    : Ipetian   : Hamlet
Steenstad - Stone Town     : S of Wijnfontein       : Ipetian   : Hamlet
Wereldmond - World's mouth : N of Wijnfontein       : Ipetian   : Outpost

All generalizations are false....including this one.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 06, 2008, 06:37:00 am »

Turn 22

I will take my turn later, after Armok presented the event.
If you ABSOLUTELY do not want to write this battle, we will look for other volunteers. Then just copy copy my and Imps PMs and send thme to whomever volunteered.
However, I want YOU to write the battle armok. You volunteered, and now you are bailing out because you think you are biased because my strategy is awesome and Imps is rather bland compared to it.
Remeber the rules on the first page.

- common sense trumps
- racial flavour, divine actions and awesome ideas trumps common sense

if you think that my strategy would win because it is awesome, keep in mind that awesome is exactly the attribute you need to win.

My strategy is not only supported by the common sense rule (as it makes a lot of sense that such an action would be devastating), it also a divine action AND awesome. No need to feel like you are not being fair just because one strategy is obviously better than the other. Remember, in the PM I told you that a good amount of civilians would be able to flee, so Imp won't be kicked of the board. Nothing unfair here

Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 06, 2008, 07:10:00 am »

((Well, the thing is he wrote the only is he wrote the ONLY thing that could beat your strategy.
Still, I will write it, as I promised.
I figured out a way to make Imp's strategy a little less bland, but I am not sure if everyone will accept it.
Also, I MIGHT end up having other stuff today, so it might in worst case be 7 hours or so before I can write, but most likely that number is a huge exaggeration.))
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 06, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

((well, we will see if it real is realistical. If it is some sort of gigantic super-weapon, please bear in mind the Valtans only had about 1-2 turns to design and produce, and it remains mostly untested. Also, there is no wood left to smelt iron, so producing it would be a problem too, as well as producing enough ammunition. The steam guns were already produced shortly after the woods were burned down, and considering they are a weapon that goes by quantity of quality, it must be very heavy on ammunition. Just metal would he be able to smelt without running out of wood ? Burning down the forest was a crucial point in my strategy of weakening the valtans, and I do not want it to be ignored by giving him seemingly unlimited ammunition.

If it isn't some sort of super weapon, well, whatever. Lets see if it can keep a rock from falling. If not, the city will be completely reduced to rubble, not only taking many of the valtans with it, but also transforming the terrain (collapsing most parts of the sewer system, most parts of teh city will be nothing but mounts of loose rock, neither providing good cover, nor good footing)

I am intrigued by this "only" strategy that can "beat" mine.

did they all flee the city at night turning it into a giant bomb as a trap for the tengu ?
did they replace their crossbows with miniature steamguns ?

did they create jetpacks to attack their enemy when they are least expecting it ?

oh wait, all these ideas are semi-awesome.

Being beaten by a bland boring powergame strategy would be the most boring thing ever.

remember: awesome trumps logic in this game. In a game that has only so few rules, that should never be disregarded Why else did I accept the fact that the steam guns can cover a vertical distance of 200 meters and still be fairly deadly instead of drawing up physical equations about velocity, momentum, air friction, gravity and the simple fact that an already inaccurate weapon only gets less and less usefull the more distance it has to cover ? Ever tried hitting somethign with a shot gun over a distance of more than 50 meters ? At this range it is nothing but luck if more than one of the bullets hit. at 200, it's like dropping a back of rice from the balcony and hoping it will hit a certain stone below.
But no, I accepted it, because steam powered gattling guns are somewhat awesome and are part of the racial flavour of the valtans. That the formidable flight speed of the tengu is there racial flavour was mostly ignored on that, so was the fact that they were always in much greater numbers than the 40+ guards of the valtans. Which btw, gained their shooting skill with ordinary targets, and not by training to shoot flying targets at a vertical distance of 200 meters.

I know I am the attacking force in this war, and no one likes aggressors, but so far not a single one of my strategies had any actual impact on the valtans, while in the last battle, some lucky stray hits reduced my army from 62 to 38, while at the same time, out of the 16 dead valtans, 9 were not even killed by the tengu.

Now I am not only attacking with a 3 to 1 attack force, while the enemy is unable to channel divine power, I am also pulling my very last and most powerful resort. And even here I am trying not to make it overpowered yb giving this kind of attack a cool down of 25 turns, I am also willing to accept the fact that the resulting tidal wave will damage my very own settlements.

Call me selfish, but god dammit this strategy of mine deserves some tribute. I spent 4 turns to prepare the whole table, riding the valtans of most essential supplies and slowly grinding the morale of the defenders in a war that almost lasted a whole year. There are just 40+ defenders, who are worn down and exhausted, and they are soon to witness an absolutely devastating attack, which does not only include an enormous picture of divine power, which would usually create at least some...uncertainty (i.e panic) among the defenders, but also lead by a group of 140 attackers, out of which 100 are fresh reinforcements.
geez, i was already about to poison the water supply, if it wasn#t for the fact that without a doubt Imp would be able to invent and succesfully build a contraption that would de-salt enough water for 100 thirsty valtans.

hmm, i believed I spoiled most of my strategy now, but whatever
[/rant]

sorry for the rant

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 06, 2008, 07:39:00 am »

code:

♣♣│♣♣....⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
♣♣└≈≈─○⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
.♣♣♣│⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
..⌂▲○▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲^▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
.⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂≡⌂▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂○┐..♣♣♣.÷. ▲▲▲⌂⌂○⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲∞~~∞~~⌂⌂▲○▲ ▲▲⌂....└┐..♣♣♣#. ⌂⌂⌂♣♣│♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲^▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~~~⌂▲│▲ ▲▲♣♣♣...≈≈....D♣ ♣...┌┘♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲∞⌂~~⌂⌂~W~⌂▲│▲ ▲▲⌂♣♣♣.≈≈≈≈..... ┌─┐.│...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂▲▲⌂~⌂⌂▲│▲ ▲▲z=z==z≈≈└──┐.. │.└─≈≈─────○▲▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲┌┘▲ ▲▲⌂⌂♣♣♣┌┘....└#─ ┘....≈...♣♣.⌂▲▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂▲▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲┌┘▲▲ ▲▲⌂⌂♣z.│.....⌂↑↑ ........♣♣♣♣┌○▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂○⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲‼══╗ ▲⌂⌂♣♣..│...⌂⌂#~↑ .........♣♣♣│⌂▲▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│⌂▲▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○▲▲╚ ═‼⌂,,,,╪,,⌂⌂~║~. ..........♣♣│♣⌂▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣│♣⌂▲ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲ ⌂⌂...⌂.│..⌂⌂~╠↑# ≈≈≈≈≈≈....♣♣│♣⌂▲
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣└┐δ⌂ ▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲♥▲▲▲⌂⌂. .♣..⌂⌂⌂└─┐..⌂÷≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....│♣♣§
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂♣└┐⌂ ⌂⌂⌂○▲▲▲▲Å╗▲▲⌂... ♣♣♣♣.⌂...├v─Θ≈≈≈ ≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈..┌≈≈♣§
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂⌂│♣ ♣⌂⌂│⌂⌂▲⌂⌂║⌂⌂...♣ ♣╔v╗♣♣.♣♣v....≈≈ ≈≈↑↑⌂≈≈≈≈≈.│.≈♣♣
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..┌─┴─ ─┐δ≈⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂Å..Å♣♣♣ ç╝≈╚╗♣♣♣┌┘....≈≈ ≈≈≈☻≈≈≈≈≈≈─┘...~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲○──┘.⌂♣ ♣└─≈≈⌂⌂....≡──── Θ≈≈≈v─v═Θ♣♣...≈≈ ≈≈≈»≈≈≈≈....~~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂..⌂⌂⌂ ♣♣≈≈δδç────┘...♣ ♣≈♣♣♣♣└─┘♣.c.≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈...P£.~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂⌂⌂... .♣♣♣δ..♣..♣♣♣..♣ ♣♣♣♣♣♣╞╞╞..≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈.↑↑↑£▲▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲^▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~. .♣♣..♣.♣♣♣♣♣♣♣.. ♣♣♣♣♣♣╞╞..≈≈≈≈≈≈ »≈≈»ΩΩ⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~~~~~~ .♣♣♣..Φ..♣♣♣♣♣.. .♣♣♣♣⌂⌂T$≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑t≡▲▲▲▲⌂▲⌂~~~
▲▲▲▲⌂⌂▲⌂~~~~~~~~ .♣....ΦΦr..♣♣≡.. ♣♣♣.t¥♥t≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈↑↑▲▲⌂⌂.⌂▲▲⌂~~
▲▲⌂⌂~~⌂~~~~~~~~~ ......Φ......... .....⌂⌂≈»≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈»¥⌂▲♀..♀.▲⌂⌂~↑
⌂⌂~~≈≈≈≈≈↑↑⌂⌂~~~ ↑....≈≈≈........ ..≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲⌂≈≈♀▲⌂~↑≈
~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂▲▲▲▲ ⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.¥.≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲⌂.⌂▲⌂~~~
≈≈≈↑↑≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂⌂⌂ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂¥═¥≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂▲▲▲▲▲▲⌂~~
≈≈≈≈⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈.↑≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈↑⌂▲▲↑↑~≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂⌂▲▲▲▲⌂⌂
≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈.≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈↑⌂⌂▲♥⌂~~≈≈≈≈ ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌂⌂▲▲⌂~

Walking around Alchemia, pretending to be on an important errand and not wanting to be disturbed, Ferrum lay in deep thought. Three months after Orion Primus had left him in command of the Runes of Enlightenment, and a new settlement had been formed near Terra, and another group of settlers had left from Alchemia to colonize the east edge of the desert. All this had come at a cost. Miners and engineers being too busy building houses and journeying, production of new Golems and unerthment of tombs containing still funtioning Golems have almost completely ground to a halt. Even the Golems being produced were not advanced golems, just simple Clays with a few Coppers here and there. It was about time more specialized Golems were made, or even better yet, upgraded some through Soulforging inferior ones. He knew soulforging was the best solution, since he was ounce himself but a simple Iron Golem miner, who, through an act if heroism, of which he remembered only saving some people from a cave-in, he was Soulforged to the great Steel Golem he was now. Soulforging was simply creating a new golem body in which the soul of the old Golem was transfered into, creating a more powerful Golem while retaining the wisdom and experiences of the older one. After all, even the most advanced Platinum Golems were worth nothing if they were green novices, and thus all great Golems started as lowly ones, being Soulforged each time they were judged ready for it. Some of the greater Golems were Soulforged uncountable times. Ferrum always wondered how many times Orion had been Soulforged to have attained his position, but actually asking a Golem about their previous life was considered quite rude, and most didn't even remember it clearly, having even adopted new names after their rebirth to erase all traces of their old form. Ferrum was one of them. Well, he could dwell on all this the whole day, but it wouldn't make any difference. It was time to pay close attention to all the Golems, even the Clays, to search for possible Soulforge candidates. After all, greatness could emerge were least suspected.

=========================================================

"Hey, Abro, are you even listening to me??"
Abro almost fell over snapping from his daydreaming, "Uh, no, sorry Hal... What were you saying?"
"Heh, nevermind what I was saying, you were thinking about your plans again, right? Well, I already told you, don't bother yourself. Leave the thinking to the Chief of Diggers and the engineers, us Clays are good for nothing but the simplest work."
"You don't understand," whined Abro, "Look at all this sand down there! Imagine what we could create out of glass with so much of it!"
"Bla, Bla, Bla... If you're gona blab about it all day, I might as well ask someone else to help me with this hauling."
Resigned, Abro gave up on trying to convince his friend. Hal was quite a nice guy, really, but had no ambitions. He really wished he could be more help to his people than just hauling stuff around, but it seemed there was no hope in achieving his dreams.
Just then, a strong, bass voice sounded behind them, "I've been overhearing your conversation, children, and I think we could use someone like you, Abro"
Whirling around, Abro thought his knees were going to jellify and fail him. It was Ferrum Animus, the Chief of Diggers himself, speaking to a lowly Clay such as him face to face!
"Um... Excuse me sir, I swear I won't talk about this again!"
"Nonsense," boomed the great Steel Golem's voice, "our people need glassmakers, and such you will be the first of them, and the first to be Soulforged since Ages past"
Abro simply fainted right there.

=================================================

Orion was still advancing, day and night, through this scorching desert. The heat didn't bother him at all, but that couldn't be said for the Clay Golems following him. The heat expanded and retracted their body as it changed, threatening to cause cracks. Good thing he had brought Copper engineers in his party. Hopefully, they would reach the pass between the mountains before he lost any of his men.

==============================================

Alchemia: 46
(the one in middle of desert, btw its on a low hill tile not desert tile)
- 1 Large Steel Golem master miner (Ferrum Animus, Chief of Diggers)
- 1 Glass Golem reinforced with bands of Steel, glassmaker (Abro Vas, newly Soulforged glassmaker, currently training before recruiting more glassmakers)
- 7 Iron Golem miners
- 26 Clay Golems
- 11 Copper Golem engineers

Terra: 41
(the one west of desert)
- 14 Iron Golem miners
- 18 Clay Golems
- 9 Copper Golem engineers

Altus Tumulosus: 10
(new settlement NE of Terra)
- 2 Iron Golem miners
- 6 Clay Golems
- 2 Copper Golem engineers

Settlers NE of Alchemia: 7
- 1 Iron Golem miners
- 5 Clay Golems
- 1 Copper Golem engineers

Orion's expedition: 11
- 1 Platinum Golem decorated with bands of Gold and implanted with a Star Ruby in hist chest and inscribed with many glowing runes throughout his body (Orion Primus, Guardian of the Seals of the Ancients, Hero)
- 4 Iron Golem miners
- 2 Clay Golems
- 4 Copper Golem engineers

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Poltifar ]

<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 06, 2008, 07:46:00 am »

After reading your posts, I figured I should specify that even though there is no wood in the desert my race is in, there are large quantities of coal under the desert. ((I took the idea from real life, like in the arabic countries, they have alot of coal and oil under their deserts))
Just figured since all of you were paying close attention to resources, I would clear this up.

((Also, I apologize if my stories are not very nice and a bit too much repetitive and technical, I just like to flesh out my civ and detail there hierachy and the way their society works))

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Poltifar ]

<@Akroma> eh

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 06, 2008, 08:37:00 am »

((One of those guesses are right, I hope I can say whitoute revealing to much...

And your stories are as good as mine at least, Poltifar.))

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 06, 2008, 08:47:00 am »

((Thanks Armok

Also I have to agree with Akroma, no offense to Imp or anyone else, but fair is fair, and if a strategy just HAS to succeed because it has been well planned and is fair and is just better than opposing strategies, it should succeed. But atleast, would it be possible for enough Valtans to survive for them to flee and maybe be refugees helped by another civ to rebuild or somesuch? Because even if Akroma deserves to win this fight, it's still a game for fun, and like rule 8 says, we should have fun and not alienate players if its possible not to...))

<@Akroma> eh

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 06, 2008, 08:56:00 am »

((Actually, I figured out a way it might be possible to combine both strategies and make it awesome, it is not EXACTLY imps strategy but close enough I hope.
Once I know I have time to sit down and do it well I'll write it, and if Imp complains on my version someone else will have to redo it.))
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 06, 2008, 09:10:00 am »

(( the strategies are already handed in, so you can spoil it all you want, I am not looking forward to anymore anyway. Both the jetpacks and the mini-steam guns can be ruled out, so it is obviously that he will blow up the whole city.
Boring.
Also, for Imp, it has no drawbacks. What took me a whole year to complete, drained the southern lands of most it's mana (reducing civilisation growth), what will cause a small tidal wave that will severly damage my own settlements can be done within just a turn, without any negative aspects for the valtans. They would lose their settlement anyway, no matter how hard they defend it, and it has little to no effect on them to abandone it. Lets face it, the way this game is played, he will have a bustling city up and running by turn 24 and would probably launch a counter attack by turn 25.

I made the effort to stay as fair as possible, giving credit to all his (slightly overpowered) inventions. I fought with a strategy which would CRIPPLE his industrial chain, but no one paid attention to it. I burned down most of his city, but instead of this having ANY effect on the valtans, it gets ignored as well. I cut off the biggest part of his food supply, and yet he has "hatcheries" which can easily feed his whole populance for half a year. Well guess what, hatcheries can be overfished, the big fish need time to grow. If 150 men feed of mostly nothing else but them, how long do you THINK you could sustain them properly ? I gathered EVERY avaiable soldier of my civilisation, and unlike the valtans who kept up and running by (overpowered) inventions that were fucking up and functional within just a few months (guess how long it takes to build even one working prototype of a steam powered gattling gun ?), I fought with strategy and means that are well within reasonable bounds (bottles with fat and alcohol to burn down houses, how is that overpowered).
I fought fair and acknowledged the power of my enemy, and now that I am pulling my last strings and move in for a kill (which most civilians would be able to flee from) all I get is:

"Lol no, imma gonna just blow it all up and reduce your civilisation by 50% on a defensive move".

FUCK THIS
it's neither fair nor reasonable, not to mention BORING as fuck.
During a war at which all effects of my strategy were completely ignored, because seemingly nothing but kills matter, I get THIS end ?
The valtans hole in in their impenetrable walls, getting kills accounted to weapons that would never work (inaccurate bullet spray at a distance of 200 meters ? At this distance the pellets of a shotgun would hardly be able to penetrate leather armor and still cause a wound deep enough to be fatal. Now imagine steam propelled pellets, which have a lot less force behind them), while I apply an actual strategy that was planned and useful, and I get THIS end ?

FUCK

THIS

ps: that only applies if he really plans to blow up the whole city. If he came up with jetpacks or mobile steam guns this might be a very enjoyable fight. As long as they are within reasonable bounds. A steam bioler weighs a lot, and so does ammunition. Also, have fun putting enough fuel into a jetpack to make it fly for longer than a minute)
that#s why I ruled them out and am expecting the bomb. Because the othe rguesses are pointless.

if he blows up my army, I demand that the earth quake (yes, I was going to cause a earthquake through devine means) will get powered up to hax level, at least unfair enough to counter the amount of unfairness I had to accept during the whole war. It will completely cave in everything withing one tile of reach, creating a whole in the board. Lets say Suwako gets angry and punches the board, creating a hole. Yes, a gigantic chasm

map would look like this

code:
♣♣♣♣♣♣╞╞╞..≈≈≈≈≈ 
♣♣♣♣♣♣╞***≈≈≈≈≈≈
.♣♣♣♣⌂⌂***≈≈≈≈≈≈
♣♣♣.t¥♥***≈≈≈≈≈≈ ≈
.....⌂⌂≈»≈≈≈≈≈≈≈  

it will completely swallow the whole Valtan civ. What, unfair ?
140 tengu for 140 valtans.

If you don't agree with that, oh meh I assume I am applying a rather boring unfair strategy that completely destroys whatever the Valtans did during the last 5 turns.

Okay, I am not serious with that, because I am not a powergamer that wants to win this game while killing the fun. I just deserve at least a MUCH less extreme defeat after pulling not only a complete strategy, but also having it ignored. All odds are in my favours, all pieces were they are supposed to be, and all I get is "no, imma blow this up"

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 06, 2008, 09:18:00 am »

((Prays for non-explosion based defense by valtans, for game-balancing reasons and to keep everyone happy...  :())
<@Akroma> eh

Nhiphanter

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 06, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

OOC: You know Akroma, i think other players are beginning to fear you a bit...

[ June 06, 2008: Message edited by: Nhiphanter ]

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 81