Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Where should the next fortress be?

Embark upon the cavern layer! Survive the depths!
- 3 (60%)
Reclaim our destroyed capital after filling it with divine weapons and armor! March with the fury of heaven!
- 2 (40%)
Other(post a comment with idea)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27

Author Topic: Longnight the Umbral Souls: Building the largest world conquest fort series  (Read 27930 times)

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Forests of Burning: Building the largest world conquest fort series
« Reply #375 on: August 27, 2024, 01:11:45 am »

Thank you for the pm. I'm good to start.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 30, 2024, 03:58:38 am »

Alright, we my turn is over. Here is the save file.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QxkN3YpyOAQLaEAzwcH4LZoJsVw_9r7-/view?usp=drive_link

And here is a visual account of the game I played in chronological order of things that happened.

Dikbut's log:
-------
Wasn't sure the save was even going to boot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FPS 0

"Bear-de-den" seemed an appropriate starting place for my character.

We're using DFhack, but not to make our lives easier.

Foraging the neighbor's yards for blueberries. Luckily, they grow this time of season.

We started the game with a training montage over at one of the elven forest retreats nearby, to improve our hammer skill.

Haven't actually been down one of these in premium yet, I'm hopeful it'll work out.

He's just mad because both evolution and the pixel portrait artist hates him.

Our skills before going in to the fight.

And it was at this point that I realized I had been running through the whole maze, and that I forgot to turn "run" back down to walk. My character is completely exhausted.

We leave, pick up a buddy, come back - and WALK through the labyrinth this time.

Manage to flank him from both sides, Cor isn't doing so hot. Barely any armor skill, but they're serving their purpose as a distraction.

Just when you think he's out, with his legs broken and F'd up, Cor comes back and lands a crippling blow on the minotaur's arm.

Ultimately, the taur goes down, and the kill is etched upon my mangled honey bee wax jagged artifact maul.

Speaking of the maul artifact, this is it. And we allowed it to get mangled before naming it.

I decide to hit up another beast, after carrying Cor and the minotaur's corpse back to town to show off to all the locals. And uhh... I definitely picked the wrong place. The plan/gimmick was to kill a dragon with a honey bee wax maul. NOT ONE OF THESE. I'm not even sure I can damage it with this thing?

After a literal hour IRL, I decide we needed a new strategy. And after checking with DFhack, it turns out I had yet to inflict any tissue damage, ANY TISSUE DAMAGE, at all to this guy! Using a bee wax hammer was getting me no where. Maybe if I got to legendary skill? Wasn't clear if I would last that long. So the plan now was to try getting it into a pool. (I fell in several times, instead, and got occasionally whacked/walloped during that process.)

Thought he would fall in there this time.

My skills now.

No idea whats going on here, it looks like it has something to do with the tree branches above us, they push the colossus down in certain spots (me as well) but I can use this to my advantage, since it doesn't appear to path around these spots.

Two hours now - IRL

Fucjkla.

Finally.

A toe.

At this point, I still wasn't able to 'ding' the bronze chuckle fuck in the slightest with the honey bee wax maul. The only way to hurt the bronze colossus was going to be with his own body. The only way to get the kill, would be to drop em' from somewhere high up, repeatedly. Again, again, until it was done. So I dodged, and I ran, and I scurried up the tallest and most maneuverable thing in the shrine area I could climb. And the big man followed.

This was very dangerous work, in case you were wondering how my character was handling all of this.

Several screenshots from this process: 3 hours

Another combat log - 4 hours

I have no idea how long this is going to take, but I can't afford this much time. We need to start moving this along - so I bust out DFhack to teleport him up, let me swipe him, and then let him drop. We're two tiles away from the top of the skybox during this process. And if you think this actually sped things up, you'd be wrong.

Another screenshot

After almost two hours of teleport - swipe - drop, this is their health condition. They've lost a couple fingers and like a toe. I actually kept the toe, and used it as a weapon for awhile after this.

Finally. FINALLY it goes down. I store the statue in my backpack after naming it as an artifact, and use it later to beat up some monk later who spits at me.

Store it at a nearby human town.

Sadly, legends did not give the kill to the honey bee wax weapon. - Instead, it insists that I "threw" the colossus. Alas. At least we killed a minotaur with it.

Chaos ensues at this point. I think we took over a town. And I spawned a bunch of boogey men, and made them the leaders of the new town government and became their hearth person.

I boot up the save again, just one more time and make a new character. Legends states the character is human, but I'm not too sure about that. He also uses twin pair of meat cleavers, one made from dragon bone named "gluttony", and the other made of dragon tooth named "surprise."

We have Big Boo-Boo accompany our trepid new protagonist. And woah. He doesn't just want honey anymore, he needs it.

First adventure we happen upon an unguarded roc's nest.

Then we proceeded to take over a nearby town in the southern continent, and then surgically attached the roc inside of the blizzard man after ensuring it would hatch after a certain amount of time. And then I ended my turn. Banana Fresh Jr.'s little capuchin monkey Mr. Bitey gets killed in the process. It was very sad. Now it lives on inside the heart of the blizzard man, as food, because e' ate em'.

The End.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 10:44:36 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 30, 2024, 04:55:00 am »

What a wild adventure lol

No chance that your Roc-blizzard man hybrid will pop up to destroy a fort is there?

Where is the town at you took? I wanna check it out on the map!

I'm gonna start looking at the save for next fort embark unless someone else wants an adventure turn

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 30, 2024, 01:01:29 pm »

Wow, I'm not even sure what I read but it was great! I'm good with starting the fort. Any word of what happened on your adventure Maloy?

I had some name ideas for the fort floating around my head, so I'll share em incase you need inspiration:

Img: name ideas Edit: Yeah Umbrasouls is my favorite too, so edgy :o

« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 01:53:03 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!
Gateheaven by Maloy / Bannerblunts / Fightquests

Salvadaddy — 29.12.2023, Fightquests
A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 30, 2024, 01:19:27 pm »

nice adventure writeup.. Roc eggs have gigantic sprites omg

I like 'Umbrasouls' or 'Longnight'

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 31, 2024, 06:56:07 am »

I'm trying to embark now!
Finding the perfect spot is hard for this particular dfhack and I get a CTD a lot
I think it is because the game requires the area to have enough space for the wagon to fit so if I embark in a place with a cavern too narrow for a wagon the game hits me with CTD 

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 01, 2024, 02:49:03 pm »

I found a real nice spot to embark and it has not CTD issues or anything, but the deem embark hack isn't working

Am I using it wrong? Here is what all gets entered

points 1000000

startdwarf 50

deep-embark --depth CAVERN_2

dfhack reads all lines successfully and says they are working, but we still embark upon the surface. I used reveal to check and can confirm that there is a second cavern layer there for sure

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 02, 2024, 01:54:47 am »

hmm. could be a mixture of game updates and worldgen settings. Were the cavern settings tweaked at all for this plane?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 02, 2024, 11:40:32 am »

hmm. could be a mixture of game updates and worldgen settings. Were the cavern settings tweaked at all for this plane?

anybody wanna pull up the save and see if I am just doing it wrong or something? I got a great spot in mind for the fort, but yeah...

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 04, 2024, 05:10:53 am »

Syntax looks right. I tested the command as written in docs on my world, no error message, embarked on the surface.

Another option is just embark, spend a pregame "turn 0" painstakingly moving all dwarves and items to the caverns, and pretend they started there
->
EDIT: I could in fact do that, though i can't before Sunday
Edit: Nice to know it works!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2024, 04:49:44 pm by Otto_K »
Succession fort runs!

A zombie butterfly man chitin in THE PIT got killed by a falling olm remains lmao

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 06, 2024, 12:52:08 pm »

Got it figured now! Or maybe it was because dfhack got updated? Not sure! I'm hurrying to put it together, but also my museum turn is about to start too

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 08, 2024, 07:39:34 am »

We had been traveling through darkness for two weeks. Two weeks of one continuous night as 50 dwarves and 20 elephants trudged through lands long lost to us and never tred upon by the elephants.
We continued until the caverns opened up into a large bowl shape and saw wonder:

The cavern ceiling was speckled with jewels and glowing fungi leaving a resplendent night sky forever above us and below it a dark lake and many fortress sized stalagmites.

In a foreboding world where our kind were nearly wiped out we had finally found something to make for ourselves: Home
We dub our fortress the Longnight and ourselves the Umbrasouls

While a few dwarves get working on carving out a couple of stalagmites to turn into our home the rest of the expedition loiters around the lakefront enjoying the beauty of our new home

We fish and skip stones upon the water as we eye the other side of the lake and wonder what horrors or wonders live upon its shore

I sent one of the miners to start digging out a rock wall to make a quarry, but the wall was shallow! We found another section of cavern instead!

It looks ideal for a pasture for our elephants if we can wall off the western and southern ends

When we left the Mountainhome and that traitorous human king many thought we were fools to take 50 dwarves on an expedition:
"How will you feed them all?"
"There won't be enough room!"

Fools, all! Likely, 50 may not be enough!
Dwarves may be from the depths of the earth, but we've forgotten what nightmares still call it home.

We'll carve this place into a home for true dwarves though. Conquer the horrors and tame the beasts! We will reclaim our lost glory! Strike the earth!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 09, 2024, 04:10:25 pm »

Two weeks of one continuous night as 50 dwarves and 20 elephants trudged through lands long lost to us and never tred upon by the elephants.

plenty of spares... Here's to the next chapter!

Otto_K

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 10, 2024, 01:50:55 pm »

We had been traveling through darkness for two weeks. Two weeks of one continuous night as 50 dwarves and 20 elephants trudged through lands long lost to us and never tred upon by the elephants.
We continued until the caverns opened up into a large bowl shape and saw wonder:

The cavern ceiling was speckled with jewels and glowing fungi leaving a resplendent night sky forever above us and below it a dark lake and many fortress sized stalagmites.

In a foreboding world where our kind were nearly wiped out we had finally found something to make for ourselves: Home
We dub our fortress the Longnight and ourselves the Umbrasouls

You found a way to use both name ideas? Is Umbrasouls the group name? Sounds fitting!

There's something eerie and spooky about the screenshot of a large group of dwarves standing on the shores, gazing on the underground lake. And your writing added to the image nicely

As Salmeuk said, I'm also excited for the next chapter of our dwarf clan!
Succession fort runs!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 12, 2024, 06:50:52 am »

I'm battling a second problem now that is apparently called the "general strike" bug

Dwarves refuse to work they're all just standing around staring across the lake

I've been trying to figure it out with dfhack and have the bugfix they made enabled, but still no change yet.

edit: and then I found the solution five minutes after posting even after wrestling with this for two days lol

Even with the bug fix enabled I have to go into the labors menu and turn off the "worker is not specialized and will do any free tasks available"
You gottta specialize your dwarves like the old .47 days to get around this bug
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 07:01:24 am by Maloy »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27