Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13125 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Revision)
« Reply #255 on: October 17, 2023, 09:28:31 am »

... I'm more interested in improving it since that was the design that won. Rather than Anthrax Ammunition. (For reasoning, bullets usually kill people, don't need disease in them.)

The redbird rounds are neat though. I'm in favor of ammo designs that make it deadlier. (And would rather do a sword design than revision.) In this case though, figured range improvements might be good to get out of the way early.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 17, 2023, 09:41:02 am »

The rifle is fine. We don't need to make any mods to it until we see how it compares to the Admin rifle. Thus, let's go do something interesting.

Quote from: Votebox
0 - 'Redbird' Rounds -
0 - Pęknięcie Ammunition -
2 - Royal Sidearm "Ostrze Wojenne" - Fallacy, Kashyyk
0 - Anthrax Ammunition -
1 - Spiczasty Bullets - TricMagic

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2023, 10:52:29 am »

You're giving them a bigger bayonet, one that isn't needed. Instead of exploding bullets?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 10:57:27 am by Maxim_inc »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2023, 11:04:31 am »

You're giving them a bigger bayonet, one that isn't needed.

Main reason for sword is it's cool and improves close range. Though we could cut down the barrel, remove/alter the stock, and have some form of close range pistol. Or just provide some form of shock attachment to the bayonet piece, stun enemies as you stab them like a taser.

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2023, 11:08:02 am »

Kash they can already use the bayonet like that by just, not affixing it. Not great with a spike bayo, but you're literally just making a giant spike bayo anyway.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2023, 11:11:54 am »

You're giving them a bigger bayonet, one that isn't needed.

Main reason for sword is it's cool and improves close range. Though we could cut down the barrel, remove/alter the stock, and have some form of close range pistol. Or just provide some form of shock attachment to the bayonet piece, stun enemies as you stab them like a taser.

But it doesn't improve close range? Its 120cm long, 15 cm longer than the GSR. Its just as unwieldy and isn't even a sword, its a spike bayonet thats 120cm long. Its going to get caught on every single thing if you tried to swing it and manuevering around while holding or having it sheathed will be impossible.

It's the same length as the GSR with bayonet fixed and ten times as unwieldy since you can't do any slashing motions with it and trying to thrust with it has no support for the long thick spike so you'd need to grab it halfway to thrust properly turning it back into what you're doing with a GSR and fixed bayonet. At least the GSR is a repeating rifle so you can just shoot the person instead of resorting to bayonet fighting if a soldier is really that bad at it.

Also any use for the "sword" in stealth would be the same role filled by just using the GSR bayonet by hand or affixed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 11:13:57 am by Maxim_inc »

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2023, 11:14:48 am »

Kash they can already use the bayonet like that by just, not affixing it. Not great with a spike bayo, but you're literally just making a giant spike bayo anyway.

Not really, it's not long or big enough, or meant to be wielded independently.

Incidentally, while I'd love a sword design, I know that's probably not happening because there's a bias against doing very simple or easy things with a design. It's the same reason why I doubt I'll be able to push an entrenching tool design despite such a thing being very useful.

The good news is, 'set' designs are generally valid as long as the set is coherent and not too ambitious

Southern Standard Uniform:
Helmet, layered cloth pants and vest, coat for cold temperatures, boots
Entrenching shovel
Short sword

Would probably be valid, maybe even tacking on a standard canned ration

But it'd have to be a full design.

Ninja'd.

I don't believe the bayonet is designed for hand use. That's the issue here.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2023, 11:31:37 am »

I would in fact support a dedicate sword design. Maybe something that can cut through metal or has something unique about it.
We could also go for a sword and shield design with electromagnetic properties. A deployable tower shield for cover would be good on the plains so we don't get stuck in trench warfare and for charges, while the sword can stun those it cuts allowing them to be killed more easily.

The EM would force bullets off center as they approach, and the shape of the shield would do the rest. While the sword has power supplied via the same pack for the shield. Have the shield compact down  for when not in use. Though might not need that.

Sometimes you just need to take land. Bring shield charges back to deal with entrenchment.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 11:33:56 am by TricMagic »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2023, 11:39:07 am »

Not really, it's not long or big enough, or meant to be wielded independently.

Incidentally, while I'd love a sword design, I know that's probably not happening because there's a bias against doing very simple or easy things with a design. It's the same reason why I doubt I'll be able to push an entrenching tool design despite such a thing being very useful.

The good news is, 'set' designs are generally valid as long as the set is coherent and not too ambitious

Southern Standard Uniform:
Helmet, layered cloth pants and vest, coat for cold temperatures, boots
Entrenching shovel
Short sword

Would probably be valid, maybe even tacking on a standard canned ration

But it'd have to be a full design.

Ninja'd.

I don't believe the bayonet is designed for hand use. That's the issue here.
I'll list my responses in order
1. 50cm is longer than some swords
2. Yeah probably, but
  a. The giant version doesn't fix this
  b. Spike bayonets typically aren't handled because of their not great performance as a blade, not vice versa.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 17, 2023, 11:46:34 am »

It has a handle that you hold onto to affix it. You can just grab it by hand and stab with it easily, its modeled after a Lebel bayonet which comes handled.

0 - 'Redbird' Rounds -
1 - Pęknięcie Ammunition - Maxim
0 - Anthrax Ammunition -
1 - Spiczasty Bullets - TricMagic

600m is already a decent enough engagement range for rifles in an industrial war, we're not going to get marksman performance out of this without redesigning the ammunition from the ground up. I'd rather get explosive bullets that don't reveal the location of their shooter and if you read the design are also spitzer so any small improvements from the Spicazasty would be added to it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 11:50:21 am by Maxim_inc »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 17, 2023, 11:57:17 am »

Hey max, how long is the barrel of the Szybbie?

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2023, 12:01:53 pm »

Hey max, how long is the barrel of the Szybbie?

55cm, why?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2023, 12:02:35 pm »

0 - 'Redbird' Rounds -
2 - Pęknięcie Ammunition - Maxim, TricMagic
0 - Anthrax Ammunition -
0 - Spiczasty Bullets -

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2023, 12:02:42 pm »

It doesn't say anywhere in the design (as far as I saw) that the bayonet has a grippable handle. Also, if it's already sword-length, then it's probably pretty awkward to swing it around at the end of a rifle. A dedicated sword would just be better, and add to our country aesthetic.

I'd love a dedicated sword design, but it comes with the problem of being a melee weapon, so either it's secondary by default or we need to spend a few designs on a super soldier program first.

FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

force200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2023, 12:13:47 pm »

Quote from: votebox
0 - 'Redbird' Rounds -
3 - Pęknięcie Ammunition - Maxim, TricMagic, force200
0 - Anthrax Ammunition -
0 - Spiczasty Bullets -
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 31