Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31

Author Topic: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 2 Revision)  (Read 13080 times)

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greatest War Southern Star Thread - Spring 1912 (Prelim 1 Revision)
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2023, 12:27:59 pm »

It doesn't say anywhere in the design (as far as I saw) that the bayonet has a grippable handle. Also, if it's already sword-length, then it's probably pretty awkward to swing it around at the end of a rifle. A dedicated sword would just be better, and add to our country aesthetic.

I'd love a dedicated sword design, but it comes with the problem of being a melee weapon, so either it's secondary by default or we need to spend a few designs on a super soldier program first.
The swords I was referring to are typically about 18 inches long (vs the bayo's 19.) This is on the short end for swords, but they were still deadly in the hands of their wielders. Because it's not the size of the sword that matters, it's how you use it that counts.

Anyway Max I asked cause it has the same mag type as a lebel, much smaller ammo, and only slight shorter length, yet has very similar mag capacity. Back of the napkin I think I can bump this up to 15+2.

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2023, 01:24:44 pm »

Anyway Max I asked cause it has the same mag type as a lebel, much smaller ammo, and only slight shorter length, yet has very similar mag capacity. Back of the napkin I think I can bump this up to 15+2.

Don't forget about 3 round's length of the tube gets taken up by the follower and spring when fully compressed shortening the overall length of the magazine tube. Also 105cm and 130cm are drastically different in length in terms of handling.

It doesn't say anywhere in the design (as far as I saw) that the bayonet has a grippable handle. Also, if it's already sword-length, then it's probably pretty awkward to swing it around at the end of a rifle. A dedicated sword would just be better, and add to our country aesthetic.

I'd love a dedicated sword design, but it comes with the problem of being a melee weapon, so either it's secondary by default or we need to spend a few designs on a super soldier program first.

Well you're meant to stab and thrust with it. Anything you need to swing at is also in range to take advantage of the semi-automatic fire, same with anything in thrusting range, its very much a backup. Also you can't swing with the other 'sword' either since its still a cruciform bayonet but more than double the length. The idea of it being so long is that you can still reach out and poke someone despite the short length of the rifle compared to most rifles around 130cm in length of this era.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2023, 02:02:06 pm »

Quote from: votebox
0 - 'Redbird' Rounds -
4 - Pęknięcie Ammunition - Maxim, TricMagic, force200, TCK
2 - Royal Sidearm "Ostrze Wojenne" - Fallacy, Kashyyk
0 - Anthrax Ammunition -
0 - Spiczasty Bullets -

Not really liking having a sword when we could cause tons of damage to the body.

Besides, I'm sure we can scale this up to use as an anti tank rifle round later

Maxim_inc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2023, 02:35:25 pm »

Not really liking having a sword when we could cause tons of damage to the body.

Yeah explosive rounds have been a thing for a long time its super easy to scale up.

force200

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2023, 03:37:29 pm »

Unlikely, as this specific round would explode from the impact with the armour without penetrating and therefore do next to no damage.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2023, 03:51:44 pm »

That just means we use Bazooka.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2023, 06:35:28 pm »

Redbird Rounds would be better against armor anyways, since they can melt it.

And before you can say 'but that's unrealistic', the idea that fire-bullets can melt armor is CoolTM, so don't count it out.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2023, 06:47:06 pm »

If thy get enough votes I'll switch over.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2023, 06:55:53 pm »

Can we make a sidearm as a revision? And is there a point to making an entire other sword as opposed to turning the rifle into also a sword?

Anyway flaming bullets are the clear sign of a truly advanced civilization.

1 - 'Redbird' Rounds - IronyOwl
0 - Anthrax Ammunition -
0 - Spiczasty Bullets -
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

UristMcRiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2023, 06:56:53 pm »

0 - 'Redbird' Rounds -
5 - Pęknięcie Ammunition - Maxim, TricMagic, force200, TCK, UristMcRiley
0 - Anthrax Ammunition -
0 - Spiczasty Bullets -

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2023, 07:00:51 pm »

Please do not remove people's votes, even if accidentally

2 - 'Redbird' Rounds - IronyOwl, Fallacy
5 - Pęknięcie Ammunition - Maxim, TricMagic, force200, TCK, UristMcRiley
1 - Royal Sidearm "Ostrze Wojenne" - Kashyyk
0 - Anthrax Ammunition -
0 - Spiczasty Bullets -

Can we make a sidearm as a revision? And is there a point to making an entire other sword as opposed to turning the rifle into also a sword?

1, probably not, unfortunately, since revisions are expansions or modification of existing items. We'd basically have to downsize a gun. I see it being doable if we have a lot of 'gun' experience, but otherwise not really.
2, turning a rifle into a sword would probably be harder to do than turning a bayonet into a sword.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 07:04:32 pm by FallacyofUrist »
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2023, 07:08:22 pm »

Anyway flaming bullets are the clear sign of a truly advanced civilization.

1 - 'Redbird' Rounds - IronyOwl
0 - Anthrax Ammunition -
0 - Spiczasty Bullets -
Would probobly require changing the stock to be more friendly to handholding, rebalancing of the gun (Likely through a detachable handle, or maybe being able to shift it to act as crossguard), and a sharpened edge built into the barrel.

Though swinging a gun around has a good chance of breaking said gun. Revising it into a solid (shock) club would be easier since it would need that anyway to be a sword.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2023, 07:16:56 pm »

Attaching the bayonet to the stock to use as a bladed club is now my preference for enhancing our melee capabilities.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

BBBence1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2023, 08:05:18 pm »

Why don't we revise the gun, so we have a harder hitting marksman rifle variant? Should be well within our capabilities, and we might as well see about getting an extra "class" of weaponry started while we don't have seventeen designs to fix.

As for ammo, well, it's a Jakobs so I'm not sold on elementals, and lead is already poisonous so Anthrax adds little. A sword is cool but of limited utility.
Proud Juraki/Cannalan/Kasgyr/Ertexite/Karikhitan/Nogranian/Aratam Engineer.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2023, 08:12:27 pm »

Attaching the bayonet to the stock to use as a bladed club is now my preference for enhancing our melee capabilities.
I fully support this cool and well-thought out plan, yes

Why don't we revise the gun, so we have a harder hitting marksman rifle variant? Should be well within our capabilities, and we might as well see about getting an extra "class" of weaponry started while we don't have seventeen designs to fix.
Mm, revising ammo gives us something we can use with all our guns, though.

At least until we start getting into ammoless quasiphantom shard throwers and such.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31