Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47779 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - 50% Dystopian Chaos Pizza Time Hat Tyrant Dio [15 / 15]
« Reply #360 on: April 18, 2023, 07:22:04 pm »

I've also got what I've wanted from Knightwing64.

Unvote

I think my biggest problem is that I don't have any previous experience playing Mafia, so I don't have any "meta" (I think that's the term...) to draw from.

I've not got 15 tabs open with each tab showing a different players post in this thread since the start of the game.  Going to be scouring through them to see if I can divine anything.

So far, I can see that there are two "cliques", each of which seems to be convinced that the other is "scum".

I'm not sure what to make of anything, yet...

Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 18, 2023, 07:29:04 pm »

I've also got what I've wanted from Knightwing64.

Unvote

I think my biggest problem is that I don't have any previous experience playing Mafia, so I don't have any "meta" (I think that's the term...) to draw from.

I've not got 15 tabs open with each tab showing a different players post in this thread since the start of the game.  Going to be scouring through them to see if I can divine anything.

So far, I can see that there are two "cliques", each of which seems to be convinced that the other is "scum".

I'm not sure what to make of anything, yet...
Maybe there's two scumteams fighting each other, and you've found them both? :P
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 18, 2023, 07:31:44 pm »

Okay. New plan of attack. Evaluating everyone individually in total depth would take too much time, at least if I want to be thorough.

What I'm going to do is take TricMagic, that wonderful, divisive character. And just split everyone into groups based on their reaction to him.

Let's take three groups. Technically we could argue there's four, but two of them fit together in associative purposes, I think.

To some people, Tric is trustworthy / town.

To others, Tric is untrustworthy / scum or third party.

Finally, some people haven't interacted with, or don't care about, Tric.

Let's begin.

Who trusts TricMagic?

Knightwing says he tends to trust Tric. I think that means he thinks he's town. Or just doesn't care enough to dig deeper into it.
Knightwing64, EuchreJack:  Are you sure the people you are following are your benevolent shepards?  Or, are they wolves in shephards clothing leading you to your doom?  Also, how did you come to this conclusion?

Generally I make it a rule to trust Tric, which normally bites me in the ass, but sometimes has good results.
Tric is king hat man

He noice

I respec

ToonyMan thinks Tric is being a greedy dragon, which fits his meta in Toony's eyes.
Why do you think Tric is town?
Initially, it's because of his first post since it implies he's not mafia if he's telling the truth unless Web is being a weirdo. If you don't want to accept that as an argument then fine that's understandable. Having looked at his play in the game so far I've observed the following: He selfishly wants to gobble hats and is goading the mafia to try to kill him which is extremely in-character for him as town or third-party, he's done this numerous times (like the previous BYOR15 even). I really don't believe he's mafia here. It's a bad vote.

Fluffe doesn't think webadict would make a role that buffs everyone, be scum.
But anyway, who do you think is scum right now, and who do you think is town? Why?
Oh hey a question I love those! Anyway as far as town goes the only person im like almost certain on of at least not being mafia is Tric their role and general abilities are just too out there for me to think webadict would make a mafia that public having a mafia that gives buffs to (presumably) everyone would be a bit strange as well. In my eyes they are either some type of neutral third party or town.

Maximum Spin thinks TricMagic is perfection.
Look, we're here playing the game of mafia, and part of the game of mafia is appearing town in a way that convinces the other players. The fact that Tric's way of doing so is a little different doesn't mean it doesn't work. In fact, it may shock and horrify you, but Tric sometimes even catches scum, even, once in a while, when nobody else did! There is absolutely no requirement in the rules of mafia that everyone play in lockstep. It's not connect four or tic tac toe, there's no single proven solution. For example, I have my own way of playing that's different from many others, which sometimes upsets people who think everyone should be playing the same, but it also works and I've managed to come to a point of gelling pretty well with enough other players to keep making it work. TricMagic's no different. This is the ideal TricMagic. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

EuchreJack likes Tric for whatever reason, but might reevaluate later?
My too-busy-to-read-well reads:
I like Tric & Max
Therefore, I don't like Fallacy, since he seems to be pushing shitty reasons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jim Groovester is... vehemently protective of Tric despite claiming Tric's a third party?
Going to try to keep this brief by posting reads and thoughts about players rather than a gigantic wall of text with a million little quotes.

SUSPICIOUS
FallacyofUrist - his read on TricMagic is amongst the worst I've ever seen. I'd feel pretty confident hammering FallacyofUrist this early in the day if he were within range

100% NOT MAFIA
TricMagic - easiest read in the game; given how much he's asserting 'not mafia' instead of 'town' he's probably a third party though and it would be safer to shoot him, but not now
Jim: You and I have extremely different views of FoU. Why do you think FoU is scum? I doubt it's only FoU's stance on Tric, despite that being the only thing you said when you voted him.

It literally is only about his stance on TricMagic. FallacyofUrist has been around and should recognize that this is 100% unteamed TricMagic, yet he suspects him.

Why suspect TricMagic? Dunno. I think it's an easy read that town FallacyofUrist should easily be capable of.

Who doesn't trust TricMagic?

Lenglon thinks TricMagic is a third party.
Tric: you do make a valid point... if we cared about finding 3p. If I wanted to lynch a 3p I'd have pushed you long ago for being Hat Tyrant. I want to lynch mafia. So why should I even care if Toaster might be 3p? The thing I care about is are they maf, and independence says they aren't maf. Done.

juicebox also thinks TricMagic is third party.
I agree that Tric probably is not mafia. Still kinda want to lynch him though, even third party Tric is enough to wreck a game

Toaster thinks Tric is useless and active lurking.
TricMagic.

So far, he has gone nuts posting about hats.  Besides hatting up the place we have:

Briefly we see a flash of analysis
His refusal to state his alignment, which I find suspicious.

Other than that, it's the hat bonanza party hour.  I realize Tric's play can be weird, but no one responded to that.  As such, Tric has not actually done anything useful, but he's made a lot of noise.  I'm quite happy voting him.

Egan thinks Tric is the hat tyrant.
Why do you think Tric isn't Mafia?  More importantly, who is?

Tric isn't mafia because he's a hat tyrant and the hat tyrant wins alone.

The more important question will require more effort than I have available at the moment. Was considering Leng but she posted a tasty readslist and I love to see those...

Who doesn't care about TricMagic?

A_Curious_Cat is too busy being new to have an opinion on TricMagic just yet.

hector13 appears to be still thinking through his position on Tric. He's focused on EuchreJack.
PPE: so… Tric appears to be claiming town? Not wanting to take KW’s hat because they appear town. Acting like a TP though.

Would it be so bad for Tric to exit the game because they’ve won when they get enough hats..?

Tric what’s your alignment?

notquitethere appears to be avoiding making alignment-based points about Tric. Kinda suspicious honestly.
Tric has claimed to be stealing hats. I dunno how many action points the mafia kill takes up (3 I guess?) but chances are good that if he's confirming his actions through hat theft, then at least we can be reasonably sure he's not murdering folk. Low priority elimination.
Re: Tric, I think it's fine for players to have different styles, it only becomes a problem when this is cause to drop all suspicion or when players decide not to engage with them to avoid the headache.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2023, 07:43:02 pm »

I've said that pretension is Fallacy's biggest scumtell before, right?

(That's not even a real dividing line since you can believe Tric is a third-party without wanting to lynch him.)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 18, 2023, 07:45:49 pm »

Now the question is, which of these reads makes the least sense? Which is least genuine?

Knightwing's read on Tric reeks of Knightwing. Genuineness high.

ToonyMan thinks Tric is being Tric. Genuineness high, but in all honesty I can't read Toony at all, generally speaking.

Fluffe is new. Genuineness high.

EuchreJack... eh. Feels like he can do better. Genuineness N/A, will be reevaluated when he makes a proper effort to read him.

Jim Groovester's read doesn't seem right. It seems like it's accurately described, but his behavior is eerily defensive. His sole reason for voting me is that I voted TricMagic and didn't read him how Jim read him. Genuineness low.

Lenglon subscribes to hat tyrant theory. Genuineness moderate? Could do with more detail.

juicebox subscribes to hat tyrant theory. Genuineness high, but also subject to reevaluation. This deserves more detail.

Toaster thinks TricMagic is Org's reincarnation. Genuineness high.

Egan's read is very Egany. Hat tyrant theory. Genuineness high.

A_Curious_Cat, aka Chilicarp, hasn't talked about Tric. Genuineness high, it's their first game, they get some slack.

hector13... hm. Feels like he's not putting as much into reading Tric as he could be. Genuineness moderate-low.

notquitethere, as mentioned, seems to be avoiding making alignment based points about Tric.

So, crazy theory. I think the scumteam could realistically be TricMagic, Jim Groovester, and then one or both of hector13/notquitethere, depending on how the setup works out. If there's a bunch of third parties it'd be just one of them, if not it's both.

Jim and notquitethere's behavior seems to match the idea of 'distance the guy that'll drag us down like an anchor if we don't'. Reluctant to target him, but acknowledging that he's funky as hell. Hector is less suspicious, but still a possibility.

If this theory does hold water I'd scum-percentage these people as 100% scum (required) TricMagic, 85% scum Jim, 65% notquitethere, 40% scum hector.

The thing is though?

This makes TricMagic an ideal execution / vote. Based on this connection, it'll be extremely informative about the scumminess or lack thereof of a good few people. Nearly everyone has thoughts on Tric. We don't lose anything from the vote since the most likely outcomes are he's either third party or scum - most of us don't think he's town.

It's, in other words, a safe, effective execution - perfect for Day 1.

I'm willing to sustain this vote for the remainder of the day unless a better target presents themselves.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 18, 2023, 07:47:31 pm »

I'd prefer to lynch scum than to lynch a 3p.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 18, 2023, 07:49:14 pm »

If Fallacy isn't scum with that suggestion, I will eat my delicious glass hat.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 18, 2023, 07:50:42 pm »

I've said that pretension is Fallacy's biggest scumtell before, right?

(That's not even a real dividing line since you can believe Tric is a third-party without wanting to lynch him.)
Ah, crapoly, I forgot to rate the genuineness of Spin's position.

Hm.

Medium. The writing is genuine, the argument is genuine, but it could also be protective of Tric.

This does make my scumteam proposal different, though. I'd rate Spin as more likely to be scum than hector and NQT but less than Jim.

Assuming, of course, that Tric flips mafia.

I wouldn't actually suspect Tric of being scum off his own behavior, but the ways other people engage with him are telling, in some cases, which makes me weigh him more as scum than otherwise.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 18, 2023, 07:51:53 pm »

Well yes, that's ideal, of course. Scum is more dangerous and more effective.

I'm proposing Tric is scum based on the oddness of other peoples' interactions with him. Could be wrong, but I have to start somewhere.

Mamobo

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia Moderation Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 18, 2023, 08:07:28 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
-> Toaster     --3-- EuchreJack*, EuchreJack*, ToonyMan*,
EuchreJack     --2-- TricMagic*, Fluffe9911*,
FallacyofUrist --2-- Jim Groovester*, Maximum Spin*,
TricMagic      --2-- Toaster*, FallacyofUrist*,
notquitethere  --1-- hector13*,
ToonyMan       --1-- notquitethere*,
A_Curious_Cat  --0--
Egan_BW        --0--
Fluffe9911     --0--
hector13       --0--
Jim Groovester --0--
juicebox       --0--
Knightwing64   --0--
Lenglon        --0--
Maximum Spin   --0--
No One         --0--

Not Voting     --5-- A_Curious_Cat*, Egan_BW*, juicebox*, Knightwing64, Lenglon*,

9 to Hammer. Day ends on April 20, 2023 at 18:00 Central Daylight Time (~45 hours remaining).
Mamobo stands for Mafia Moderation Bot! Mamobo was made by webadict to help those in need!

Mamobo hates villainy and lawlessness! Mamobo loves blueberries!

Mamobo is happy to be of use! If you'd like to improve Mamobo, please do something else instead!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 18, 2023, 08:09:28 pm »

Well yes, that's ideal, of course. Scum is more dangerous and more effective.

I'm proposing Tric is scum based on the oddness of other peoples' interactions with him. Could be wrong, but I have to start somewhere.
Here's the thing. Putting people into groups is a wonderful way to divert suspision. What are the chances that your mafia buddies are on both sides of the divide FallacyofUrist?

Also making this push during my usual bedtime, so I can't just claim and save myself. To wit, I steal hats. I use hats. I gift hats. I steal from the sus and give to the crewmates. It's a good shot at lynching me, but no dice. Just dragon.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 18, 2023, 08:14:01 pm »

Is it bad that I've seen Tric OMGUS so many times that I consider it a nulltell in Tric's case? It's stupid and unhelpful, but if you do it every time...

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 18, 2023, 08:16:06 pm »

Hmmm.
Jack. If you aren't scum, come vote Fallacy with me. I may end up regretting saying this, but I don't think Toaster is likely to be scum. His read may be dumb, but it's consistent with what I've seen from him as town before: uncomfortable with deviations from a rigid idea of Proper Mafia meta. I don't really believe he is using this as a replacement for scumhunting, but rather that he genuinely believes he is scumhunting.
Also, you too, Toony. Come over to the, uh, non-Fallacious side!

Is it bad that I've seen Tric OMGUS so many times that I consider it a nulltell in Tric's case? It's stupid and unhelpful, but if you do it every time...
That's not bad, that's just "being right". If he doesn't do it, that's when you worry.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 18, 2023, 08:17:54 pm »

Nothing about that response makes sense.

Here's the thing. Putting people into groups is a wonderful way to divert suspision. What are the chances that your mafia buddies are on both sides of the divide FallacyofUrist?
It's normal to group people up explicitly or implicitly when making a reads list, and even if it wasn't conventional, my post was a sort of reads list.

Also making this push during my usual bedtime, so I can't just claim and save myself. To wit, I steal hats. I use hats. I gift hats. I steal from the sus and give to the crewmates. It's a good shot at lynching me, but no dice. Just dragon.
I don't keep much track of when people get up and go to bed here. I'd call posting a case when someone is about to sleep just so they can't defend themselves, acting in bad faith.

And even if you did claim in more detail it wouldn't necessarily save you.

Tric is Tric. I wouldn't even consider him as scum (just third party) except for the fact that the interactions with him committed by several people are, to use his own language, sus.

But what kind of person would I be if I faltered in the face of my cause in the face of long odds, against the cult(probably non-literal) of TricMagic?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: April 18, 2023, 08:19:30 pm »

What was that about your face being long and odd?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 92