Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47545 times)

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - Error Found While Loading Flavor - Requires Reboot
« Reply #210 on: April 17, 2023, 01:27:27 pm »

Fluffe I’m concerned that you merely responded and didn’t actually contribute. What’s up?
Well I'm tired from having to wake up early for school and had to go out and get a pizza to eat but mostly as usual with the first day I frankly just don't know what to say I like to base my questions and accusations on more solid stuff then "well I asked Max what type of pizza toppings he likes and he said pineapple thats kinda sus!" I just feel there aint anything I could ask on the first day that would be a gotcha moment or get us any closer to actually finding a mafia.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 17, 2023, 01:31:59 pm »

Fluffe I’m concerned that you merely responded and didn’t actually contribute. What’s up?
Well I'm tired from having to wake up early for school and had to go out and get a pizza to eat but mostly as usual with the first day I frankly just don't know what to say I like to base my questions and accusations on more solid stuff then "well I asked Max what type of pizza toppings he likes and he said pineapple thats kinda sus!" I just feel there aint anything I could ask on the first day that would be a gotcha moment or get us any closer to actually finding a mafia.
a lot of Day 1 is just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. It's impossible to force the scum to make mistakes, but you can give them opportunities to. We all would prefer to have a solid basis to argue from, but that isn't going to happen. Instead you should be trying various inputs, and watching to see if the scum make a mistake. the odds may be low at any given moment, but if you force the scum to roll the dice over and over and over and over eventually they'll roll a natural 1.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 17, 2023, 01:40:30 pm »

a lot of Day 1 is just throwing things at the wall and seeing what sticks. It's impossible to force the scum to make mistakes, but you can give them opportunities to. We all would prefer to have a solid basis to argue from, but that isn't going to happen. Instead you should be trying various inputs, and watching to see if the scum make a mistake. the odds may be low at any given moment, but if you force the scum to roll the dice over and over and over and over eventually they'll roll a natural 1.
I guess although I still gotta think up actual questions to ask that aint just shitposts so give me a bit on that.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 17, 2023, 02:02:07 pm »

Sorry Hector, I think you're actually not bad but I think on Bay12 meta you're in the danger zone:

- some oldheads get the benefit of the doubt and almost always live to D2 (Toony and Jim, say)
- some wild cards spew themselves as non-mafia (KW and Tric, say)
- some players have recently been scum a lot and gamblers fallacy means people might go easier (Fallacy and me, maybe? Honestly could go the other way)
- some players are pretty good at competently making posts and survive d1 most times regardless of aligment (I suspect EJ and Toaster will be this today)
- some players just wont post enough on D1 and may slip notice until D2 in a big game (I could see this happening with Juicebox)

So that leaves a laregeish group of players who have things stacked against by the meta.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 17, 2023, 02:53:52 pm »

Alrighty I guess I got two questions

@Toaster You seem to have alot of mafia experience what is the best advice you could give to a less experienced town?

@Lenglon What was the point of those questions earlier anyway? Do ya think they would actually help catch mafia or was it just shitposting?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 17, 2023, 03:00:50 pm »

Still PFP

Fluffe
@Toaster You seem to have alot of mafia experience what is the best advice you could give to a less experienced town?

Don’t wait for scum to make mistakes. Don’t just wait for something to happen; make something happen. Point out inconsistencies and uncertainty. If you don’t have either, poke people until you do. Coming up with a good question when you don’t have leads is hard, sure, but you can’t skate. Example, see my next question to NQT:

NQT:
Why did you wait until your post two up to really answer my question from earlier re Hector?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 17, 2023, 03:14:55 pm »

My too-busy-to-read-well reads:
I like Tric & Max
Therefore, I don't like Fallacy, since he seems to be pushing shitty reasons.

Jim: "I'm gonna be lazy and unavailable, let's see if anyone notices the difference"
Toony seems to be putting in the effort, but I need more time to analyze.
So it's a race to see who earns two extra votes.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2023, 03:26:49 pm »

So it's a race to see who earns two extra votes.
I want 'em

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2023, 03:48:22 pm »

Sorry Hector, I think you're actually not bad but I think on Bay12 meta you're in the danger zone:

- some oldheads get the benefit of the doubt and almost always live to D2 (Toony and Jim, say)
- some wild cards spew themselves as non-mafia (KW and Tric, say)
- some players have recently been scum a lot and gamblers fallacy means people might go easier (Fallacy and me, maybe? Honestly could go the other way)
- some players are pretty good at competently making posts and survive d1 most times regardless of aligment (I suspect EJ and Toaster will be this today)
- some players just wont post enough on D1 and may slip notice until D2 in a big game (I could see this happening with Juicebox)

So that leaves a laregeish group of players who have things stacked against by the meta.

I mean that makes sense to some degree, though why I’m not in that fourth category, particularly in place of EJ, is beyond me.

An argument for a D1 elimination is to make it an informative one, and of that I would be a pretty good choice. I tend to be among the more active posters throughout a game, and I usually try to encourage content from others (see: my RVS questions versus Lenglon’s) and usually, though less so recently given my personal responsibilities, try to get stuff from everyone.

One could also argue that you, having played quite a few games with me, are aware of this, and are implicitly trying to discourage me specifically and others generally from posting, ostensibly to avoid being a D1 elimination.

Why are you discouraging folks from posting when the game is in a low-information state?

EJ good job on completely ignoring me pointing out the flaws in your gameplan.

Continuing on from above re:D1 lynches, another good argument for a D1 lynch is getting rid of someone who isn’t going to put any effort in to help town. You’ve indicated an unwillingness to do that by saying you’ll sheep either of two players you think are good - which you do in every game to be perfectly honest, I honestly don’t see the point in you continuing to play mafia if you have no interest in actually playing mafia but whatever - while simultaneously doing zero to actually get a solid read on those two players.

This is a big game; assuming you’re town, a D1 mislynch is going to be much less harmful than in the size of games we’ve been having of late. You know your alignment for suresies, so allowing someone else to basically take your voice when you don’t know their alignment is… utter madness and frustrating beyond description. Alternatively, if you’re scum we get rid of a significant issue of you having more sway than everyone else, which is a problem that only gets worse the longer the games goes on and you still live. The latter is makes a lot of sense if one or both of Toony or Jim are your partner(s), because you lose nothing by giving away your voice to someone you know for suresies is in your team.

Give me one good reason why we shouldn’t get rid of you when your only inclination appears to be Jim or Toony’s sock-puppet.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 17, 2023, 04:06:40 pm »

Hector, yeah I'm probably over-categorising metas here based on fuzzy recollections of past games. The bit I'm sure about is KW is probably not mafia and Tric looks non-mafia too and while I don't trust him not to be malicious 3rd party, it's not pressing.

--

Toaster, I'm going to miss a lot as I'm stuck posting on phone and don't want to do quote pyramids etc

---

Max, you're spot on, I did submit town. Probably 6 years ago I'd have submitted scum because that felt the easier role in some earlier games, but I've definitely come to prefer playing town. Different kind of stress.

--

Tric has claimed to be stealing hats. I dunno how many action points the mafia kill takes up (3 I guess?) but chances are good that if he's confirming his actions through hat theft, then at least we can be reasonably sure he's not murdering folk. Low priority elimination.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2023, 04:12:25 pm »

The following rules are in effect this game:
 - When you signup, you may choose up to 1 idea to be added to the flavor.
 - When you signup, you may choose up to 2 Action types to be added to your role from the following list:  [Super,  Copy,  Hide,  Bus,  Block,  Redirect,  Protect,  Kill,  Recruit,  Inspect,  Learn,  Watch,  Track,  Delay,  Motivate,  Randomize,  Gift,  Auto,  Evolve,  Vote]
 - All Players now have 3 Action Points per Phase that can be spent on Actions, instead of one Action per Phase.  Actions will list their Action cost instead of their Priority, which has been deprecated.
 - When you signup, you may send in Town or Mafia.  You will be 4 times more likely to receive this Alignment.

Because of this rule change, the Mafiakill has now been changed to the following:[/i]
{AP1} (Night, Mafiakill) Mafiakill [target]:  Kill the target.
Tags:  Kill
In response to your query NQT. Not sure if that question is NAI or not. But we can't just rely on Points for.. Well, given multiple actions can be used.

Webadict, I assume each action can only be used once per phase. Well, main point is that as I gather Hats, I get more options. Right now I can only Steal, which costs 1 Point.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2023, 04:15:28 pm »

... Opps?
Well, point is one cannot count on actions to confirm things. Mafia can blend in by using other actions just fine. (Compared to my mess of a game where everything could be known..) In that regard, Behavior is a better clue than action. I'm just completely uncaring of... Well, everyone knows if I steal a hat or not. And if we have another thief, we'll soon see.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2023, 04:21:30 pm »

Max, you're spot on, I did submit town.
I appreciate the credit, but Toony said it first, and I just agreed.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 17, 2023, 04:44:05 pm »

EJ good job on completely ignoring me pointing out the flaws in your gameplan.

Continuing on from above re:D1 lynches, another good argument for a D1 lynch is getting rid of someone who isn’t going to put any effort in to help town. You’ve indicated an unwillingness to do that by saying you’ll sheep either of two players you think are good - which you do in every game to be perfectly honest, I honestly don’t see the point in you continuing to play mafia if you have no interest in actually playing mafia but whatever - while simultaneously doing zero to actually get a solid read on those two players.

This is a big game; assuming you’re town, a D1 mislynch is going to be much less harmful than in the size of games we’ve been having of late. You know your alignment for suresies, so allowing someone else to basically take your voice when you don’t know their alignment is… utter madness and frustrating beyond description. Alternatively, if you’re scum we get rid of a significant issue of you having more sway than everyone else, which is a problem that only gets worse the longer the games goes on and you still live. The latter is makes a lot of sense if one or both of Toony or Jim are your partner(s), because you lose nothing by giving away your voice to someone you know for suresies is in your team.

Give me one good reason why we shouldn’t get rid of you when your only inclination appears to be Jim or Toony’s sock-puppet.
Because I'm not sheeping either of them, yet.
In fact, Jim is voting someone else.
And furthermore, I'm using my double-vote to put pressure on juicebox.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 92