Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 92

Author Topic: BYOR 16: Game Over. Mafia 2 Wins.  (Read 47685 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - Error Found While Loading Flavor - Requires Reboot
« Reply #285 on: April 17, 2023, 10:55:34 pm »

Jim - lazy, need more than their first post (which I liked)

Catching criticism for not playing mafia in the middle of my work day only makes me want to play this game less and Noita more.
Go off king.

???
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 17, 2023, 10:59:04 pm »

Like say, Maximum Spin. Is there anyone that you find suspicious that's posted more than twice?
Yes, but I used up all my vote changes for now.

I don't agree that my point about Fallacy went nowhere, though? I don't think anyone forgot it, and there are seventy more hours in the day.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 17, 2023, 11:03:06 pm »

I think sketching out relationships between players will be more helpful than a strict town to scum read hierarchy. Or rather it's practically a requirement for that, at this point in such a large game. It's also an excuse to try something new.
Maybe a certain graph maker can do that.

Why do you think Tric is town?
Initially, it's because of his first post since it implies he's not mafia if he's telling the truth unless Web is being a weirdo. If you don't want to accept that as an argument then fine that's understandable. Having looked at his play in the game so far I've observed the following: He selfishly wants to gobble hats and is goading the mafia to try to kill him which is extremely in-character for him as town or third-party, he's done this numerous times (like the previous BYOR15 even). I really don't believe he's mafia here. It's a bad vote.

What if I told you he forgot mine too?

(I caught him before he left and he sent it before my first post.  I didn't think it was worthy of mention at the time.)
Let's say I believe you, I don't think this changes my opinion of Tric.

ToonyMan       - inconsistent.
Says the guy who votes Max a player they townread.

I think my thought process has been well-explained and not inconsistent in the least.

I like it more when you roleplay and use colored text so maybe do more of that.

I don't like this vote. If Tric isn't town, it's more likely that he's a TP with the wincon of collect all the hats than scum. While I'd like to get him out if that's the case, I still think that D1 it'll be more productive to look at someone else who is more likely to be mafia than to look at Tric
I agree.

Max
Maximum Spin
Hmmmm

I prooobably like Max here.

Not really feeling Juicebox, Lenglon, or Max as good votes.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 16: Day 1 - 50% Dystopian Chaos Pizza Time Hat Tyrant Dio [15 / 15]
« Reply #288 on: April 17, 2023, 11:04:25 pm »

I prooobably like Max here.
Especially with FoU voting Max.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 17, 2023, 11:09:26 pm »

Why do you think Tric isn't Mafia?  More importantly, who is?

Tric isn't mafia because he's a hat tyrant and the hat tyrant wins alone.

The more important question will require more effort than I have available at the moment. Was considering Leng but she posted a tasty readslist and I love to see those...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 17, 2023, 11:25:39 pm »

Right I’ve been keeping up with the thread since my last post, but I’m going to go back through and pick out things I wanted to respond to in chronological order and probably confuse myself in the process.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 17, 2023, 11:27:58 pm »

Like say, Maximum Spin. Is there anyone that you find suspicious that's posted more than twice?

I don't agree that my point about Fallacy went nowhere, though? I don't think anyone forgot it, and there are seventy more hours in the day.

I meant that as in there hasn't been any follow up on it so far. Also what do you mean you're out of vote changes?

juicebox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 17, 2023, 11:29:47 pm »

I meant that as in there hasn't been any follow up on it so far. Also what do you mean you're out of vote changes?

and even if you can't vote them, you still have the ability to ask questions

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 17, 2023, 11:51:05 pm »

I was gonna do a bunch of looking and research and stuff, but then I filed taxes.

Fuck the American taxation system. It's deliberately hard to file taxes for yourself thanks to tax prep industry lobbying, arrrgh.

Wrung out my whole brain juice quantity on that one.

Or what I mean to say is brain tired, gonna go do silly things instead of mafia and come back to this when brain less hurts. Probably do connection analysis thing then.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 18, 2023, 12:09:53 am »

juicebox:
I don't like this vote. If Tric isn't town, it's more likely that he's a TP with the wincon of collect all the hats than scum. While I'd like to get him out if that's the case, I still think that D1 it'll be more productive to look at someone else who is more likely to be mafia than to look at Tric

Why do I feel like I'm reading a different game than the rest of you?

Egan:
Why do you think Tric isn't Mafia?  More importantly, who is?

Tric isn't mafia because he's a hat tyrant and the hat tyrant wins alone.

How do you know this?  I don't mean from the source material; I mean in this game we're playing on this forum right now.

ToonyMan:
Initially, it's because of his first post since it implies he's not mafia if he's telling the truth unless Web is being a weirdo. If you don't want to accept that as an argument then fine that's understandable. Having looked at his play in the game so far I've observed the following: He selfishly wants to gobble hats and is goading the mafia to try to kill him which is extremely in-character for him as town or third-party, he's done this numerous times (like the previous BYOR15 even). I really don't believe he's mafia here. It's a bad vote.

Perhaps, but do you think he's actually accomplishing anything?

What if I told you he forgot mine too?

(I caught him before he left and he sent it before my first post.  I didn't think it was worthy of mention at the time.)
Let's say I believe you, I don't think this changes my opinion of Tric.

Does it change your opinion of me?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2023, 12:33:24 am »

Going to try to keep this brief by posting reads and thoughts about players rather than a gigantic wall of text with a million little quotes.

SUSPICIOUS
FallacyofUrist - his read on TricMagic is amongst the worst I've ever seen. I'd feel pretty confident hammering FallacyofUrist this early in the day if he were within range
Toaster - really don't like his read or vote on TricMagic, but I'm better able to give him the benefit of the doubt that it's coming from a genuinely held but incorrect opinion rather than trying to pick off a weak player (if trying to pick off a weaker player is what Toaster had in mind, he chose terribly because TricMagic is one of the easiest players to read on the board)
hector13 - don't like his read or his vote on EuchreJack; I think all his complaints about EuchreJack's play are legitimate but I don't think they make Jack scum. hector13 saying he could accuse Jack of active lurking is the most valid part of his suspicions on EuchreJack but it isn't the substance of his vote

100% NOT MAFIA
TricMagic - easiest read in the game; given how much he's asserting 'not mafia' instead of 'town' he's probably a third party though and it would be safer to shoot him, but not now

PURE AND INNOCENT
Knightwing64 - has no idea wtf is going on and hasn't made the attempt to understand either; I think his first post or one of his early posts was asking 'huh I have a TricMagic hat' when people were already talking about that points to him probably not being on a team; probably town
A_Curious_Cat - also has no idea wtf is going on; making clumsy efforts to play at least; probably town here

PROBABLY FINE
notquitethere - don't really have specific objections or complaints; I've mildly liked the posts and contributions notquitethere has made and would have highlighted them if I were making a mega wall post
Maximum Spin - no complaints, much like notquitethere; His statement about trying to be more helpful did make me raise my eyebrow a little because I remember EuchreJack's comment from AutoMafia where he said if Max is trying to be helpful then he's scum and if he's trying to be aloof then he's town.
Lenglon - Thinks FoU is town for whatever reason which is weird and I have a bunch of shitposting related complaints but nothing negative of substance
EuchreJack - would like to see more of EuchreJack's more typical style but the 'I am going to sheep ToonyMan or Jim' plan is lazy but frank; lean town

SCUM IF THEY STOP TALKING, OTHERWISE TOWN
Egan_BW - I like seeing the effort posting. I 100% believe that if they stop then they are scum.
juicebox - I haven't played a lot with juicebox recently but the meta read I want to buy into (which may not be accurate) is that if he goes quiet he's scum; decent but not outstanding effort in the few posts he's made so far

WAITING TO EVOLVE INTO LATE GAME FORM
Fluffe9911 - very much within the weak early game meta he's demonstrated so far but would really like for him to turn on late game Fluffe9911 in order to make the game slightly easier to parse

I AGREE WITH EVERYTHING THEY HAVE SAID BUT I DON'T TRUST MY ABILITY TO READ THEM ACCURATELY
ToonyMan - I feel like my opinions and ToonyMan's opinions are largely interchangeable here, and this makes me want to think ToonyMan is town but he's also a very dangerous player.

I'll note here that there's a divide in the player base regarding players' reads on TricMagic. FoU and Toaster agree about TricMagic, but Lenglon gets to be on their side since Lenglon reads FoU as town. ToonyMan is probably the most vocal proponent on the other side, and there are a few players joining him in his opinion which I won't note here, but it does include me.

I'm caught up with the game but I feel like my grasp of it isn't as strong as it could be, so what I should do is go reread the game again, but what I'm going to do is something else.

Also I've been working on this post for two and a half hours that I could've spent playing Noita instead, so bite me.

No Man's Sky

FUCK No Man's Sky

Play a real game, for real men, like Noita.

Fluffe is going to ping hard if they haven't upped their game from last time. They just exude a sense of wrongness that is just this side of town divide. (When Mafia)

I'm going to pay attention to this opinion from TricMagic because he's so confident about it, even though I don't think TricMagic has anything to base it off of.

Lenglon and Tric are pinging scum. Is “Tric is competent and focused as scum and wildly unpredictable as town” still a valid meta read?  I stand by my gut read either way.

I'd say TricMagic isn't really unpredictable as town. I'd argue he's incredibly predictable given that he usually has a single minded focus on his role, which is what I'm seeing here.

Well I'm tired from having to wake up early for school and had to go out and get a pizza to eat but mostly as usual with the first day I frankly just don't know what to say I like to base my questions and accusations on more solid stuff then "well I asked Max what type of pizza toppings he likes and he said pineapple thats kinda sus!" I just feel there aint anything I could ask on the first day that would be a gotcha moment or get us any closer to actually finding a mafia.

You say this but you managed to turn it on for Auto Mafia even though that was only Day 1.

Jim Groovester: If you're still an inexperienced noob then we should totally eliminate you first, right?

Makes sense to me.

Yes. I learned the sacred technique of copypasting my whole character sheet in every post from Piecewise games, and I'm gonna use it!
This post doesn't count I'm just shitposting I'm done doing effort for the day.

I'd rather you only posted it when there's a meaningful update to it, because otherwise I'm going to have trouble paying attention to it because it's noisy.

Do you trust Tric? I don’t trust Tric. Vibe check doesn’t pass. He reads like he knows what he’s doing. It’s like how I always play better when I’m scum.
Voting Tric looks like a potentially reasonable option.

Basically, what we're trying to figure out here is if he's substantially varying from his town baseline. Given how much Tric projects, that's much easier done than for say, Toony. I'd be willing to vote Tric later if a reread of his posts makes me feel like he's scum. Or malevolent third party, though I'd prefer to vote for scum. Chasing third parties too far is a fallacy (rip me).

And Max doesn't feel particularly town, except that's exactly what I felt the last few times I tried to read him, too. There's always this level of detachment which is hard to parse things through.

I do not like these posts. FallacyofUrist gets the read on TricMagic horribly wrong and I do not get any sense from them that FallacyofUrist could hold or could have developed this opinion genuinely. While typing up this post I've at times called these posts gross.

@Jim Grooovester:  What are your thoughts concerning my signature?

It's okay. You can't go wrong quoting me since I'm great.

Also, can anyone tell me what "PPE" means?  I've looked it up on the mafia-scum wiki, but I can't seem to find it.

Personal protective equipment.

Also, what does "TP" mean?  I can't seem to find that either...

Toilet paper.

This game is pretty dense. It's going to take me a bit to post but I'm working on it now.

I'm going to be bored shitless up here at my parents' house, and you don't have to tell me to play Noita since I'll already be doing a lot of that. What anime should I watch that I haven't seen already and is worth my time?
Mirai nikki (eng title: The Future Diary)

If this ends up being garbage I will first chastise myself for ever thinking asking for recommendations from this board was a good idea, and then you and all of Bay 12 for having bad taste.

ToonyMan:

Perhaps, but do you think he's actually accomplishing anything?

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha TricMagic accomplishing anything aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I'll point out that Toaster and hector13 have adopted utility as one of the reasons for why they suspect the players they do; not surprisingly I have issues with both players. I don't think utility is a good reason to suspect people regardless of how frustrating their play may be.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2023, 01:10:26 am »

I’m voting EuchreJack, not Egan.

Also, that doesn’t seem to include EuchreJack’s double vote, ‘cause you said at day start 9 would hammer, not 8.
Whoops.  And whoops, let's see what's happening there.
EDIT:  >:|  Vote people's names, or I'm not fixing it next time!

Eurgh fine, I’ll spend an extra 10 hours laboriously typing out people’s names on my phone because mamobo needs to be told all the things, including the ones you can’t think of, gawd.

juicebox gets what I mean about EJ, kudos to them. I like a lot about this post, I guess my biggest complaint is it’s incomplete. It follows my thinking on the players mentioned in it, with the exception of NQT, and feeling of the two, FoU is probably the more likely to be bad than Max.

Toony

My too-busy-to-read-well reads:
I like Tric & Max
Therefore, I don't like Fallacy, since he seems to be pushing shitty reasons.
I agree.

EJ good job on completely ignoring me pointing out the flaws in your gameplan.
Give me one good reason why we shouldn’t get rid of you when your only inclination appears to be Jim or Toony’s sock-puppet.
Hey hey, Jack has had this "busy with work" attitude lately in a lot of games. It does make it harder for me to read him, but I agree with his cursory reads and it's probably okay if he sheep votes me or Jim. I think the fact he's trying to determine between the two of us to sheep shows some level of effort/scrutiny.

I don't really like your pursuit on Jack.

It’s not so much a pursuit as having had enough of what he does. He’s played plenty of games that he should be able to think for himself but he always tries to follow you, Jim, or webadict, and I don’t get it.

That might be more of a meta thing, but just taking this game into consideration, the bare minimum he should be doing if he intends to follow you or Jim is to, you know, actually interact with y’all, and he hasn’t. If he has enough time to post, he has enough time to ask one or both of you a question, but he’s relying on other people (in a game about deduction and manipulation!) to do that work for him, and then relying on you and/or Jim to not be scum to use what could be a powerful boon or a fuckhuge liability for town if he gets it wrong.

I get that it’s hard, but doing something and getting it wrong is a whole lot better than doing nothing at all.

Town
Tric - "Web forgot to PM me my role"
Curious Cat - "what is FoS?"

Townlean
Egan - they're keeping a sketchbook, a sketchbook! effort town points
NQT - is busy but I'm willing to believe the posts they've done are genuine, I also fully believe they submitted town as prefered alignment
Max - seems to want to help, claims uninspectable but they always do this
juicebox - seems to be trying like Egan but maybe not as convincing, I get townie vibes
Fluffe - I've never seen as mafia, they are acting just like they have in the other two games I've played with them on D1 though
Knightwing - has no idea what is going on

Neutral
Jim - lazy, need more than their first post (which I liked)
Jack - don't have a strong read, he's been pretty aloof, I need some emotion and excitement and passion
Lenglon - don't know, I forgot they did a lot of roleplaying in Web's other game and it was really easy to read them in that game but they also immediately claimed third-party in that game as well

Suspicious
Hector - showing a lot of effort, but it's Hector and I've been tricked constantly by him
Toaster - same boat as Hector
FoU - at odds with Max, also claims uninspectable like with Max, I believe them less

Thoughts:

I don't like Hector's attack of Jack.

I don't like Toaster and FoU's attack of Tric.

I'm more confident Tric is town (or not mafia) than Jack, so I find FoU and Toaster more suspect than Hector currently.

If I may for a moment… *smarm*

Your read on me is horseshit though. It’s basically “hector’a a good player”, and while I *smarm* at that, It’s a pretty poor reaaon for scumreading someone, and I absolutely stand by my distaste of what EJ is doing. Not quite as bad as scum!FoU in NQT‘s (I think] most recent game in which his read on me was “hector’s a scawy tigew” but we’re skirting very close to it, guy.

It’s also annoying because I agree with your read on Toaster, insofar as (why isn’t that all one word?) they’re wanting to vote Tric, because I read Tric as either town or TP, and… really my priority should be on figuring out FoU and Max but I don’t want FoU to be scum and Max is as easy to read as a technical manual in the dark. *sigh* my gut tells me FoU is the less likely of the two to be town.

In saying that, the rest of your list is pretty good. Lenglon should be higher, maybe still neutral though - I like the aggressiveness, it’s similar to how she was as town-ally in that other game, but posting help for the newer players is something I’ve used to active-lurk in the past - and NQT lower, possibly also in the neutral pile, and it’s about right.

I’m going to give you the benefit of the doubt for the time being because my main gripe with you is over your read of me, and I have fooled you in the past, so I guess I get it. Looking forward to seeing what you do going forward…

Lenglon

A_Curious_Cat   - new player, correctly identified that the early pressure put on them was a trap, incorrectly reacted to the trap with scummy caution instead of townie boldness. If they were a vet I'd think they were scum. They aren't a vet. So have them as *wait and see*
Egan_BW        - few posts but solid content in them. Clear and understandable readslist. Town.
EuchreJack     - doublevoter that defers their votes instead of using them to apply pressure and scumhunt. What. likely scum.
FallacyofUrist - repeated sharp interactions. Immediately understood what I was doing in RVS and played off it to scumtest Cat. Town.
Fluffe9911     - No Content of note.
hector13       - heavy activity that I haven't taken the time to read in full because large posts. temporary null-read while I correct that error.
Jim Groovester - ZZZzzzz
juicebox       - late entry with solid content once they read the thread. likely town but not enough content to be comfortable.
Knightwing64   - who?
Lenglon        - me!
Maximum Spin   - I never read max correctly, but right now I have an extremely strong "town" vibe from them emotionally. logic say null, emotion says town.
notquitethere  - standard "I do stuff on Day 2" statements, but
Toaster        - very independent. I don't fully agree with their reasoning but I can generally follow it and there's nothing particularly wrong about it. lean town.
ToonyMan       - inconsistent. I don't feel like their reasons for switching between opinions are fully clear, which kinda bugs me. Might be putting on a facade to manipulate, but I don't see who's being manipulated.
TricMagic      - Hat? hat! hat hat hat. hat hat? hat hat hat. hat.

Decent enough reads list, not too much wrong I can see here other than Toaster, and probably FoU. You’re trying to refine some of your reads, so I think I don’t need to do too much with your slot for the time being, other than ask what you’re seeing about Toaster that makes you think they’re town?

Toaster

It could just be that we’ve all been exposed to Tric’s particular brand of play to the point of it being kinda blah now, but what is it that bothers you about Tric that is unique to Tric? We’ve got EJ threatening to sheep two players without putting in the work to figure out those two players, the newer players kinda coasting along and not doing a whole lot (understandably perhaps, but I’d still like to see some effort) and Lenglon and FoU kinda-sorta active lurking by offering Cat some hints and tips.

Jim with a big post, says the hypocrite.

There is an ulterior motive to me voting EJ (in addition to my dislike of his play) which… has either revealed something chilling or has backfired.

However, I would argue that EJ’s utility is an important factor in the game. He has a L-L-L-LYLO BREAKER in his double vote. Would you like it to be in the hands of someone who has put effort into the game and has a good grasp of it, or someone who has coasted through on someone else’s coattails and has a panic at the end?

If this were anything other than D1 I’d be less inclined to put him forward as a possible candidate now, when a mislynch-

Ah you know what forget it my thought process is all on about mislynching now rather than later which means my gut-feeling is he’s town.

Maybe the mafia will take care of him CAUSE HE MIGHT GUESS RIGHT.

Maybe he might decide to be useful and think for hisself!

Unvote

It’s late so I’ll figure out who I want to vote tomorrow

Also, watch Shigurui:Death Frenzy. It starts with a blind guy and an one-armed dude about to fight each other to the death in a sword-fighting tournament, and it goes into their history over the course of however many episodes it is.

I hope you all like ice-cream.

Now, does FoU being on the scumteam with Toaster make sense? Food for thought.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2023, 01:17:04 am »

I think I used that Wall’s joke before…

Anyway, I wanted to add I like Jim’s read of me better than Toony’s, fwiw.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2023, 02:43:57 am »

I'm not feeling juicebox currently, and WAY to many unexplained votes on that wagon.

I was going to vote Fallacy, but I also should be sleeping and/or paying my taxes.  So sympathy not voting.

I can't legitimately vote hector13.  Yeah, I think his vote on me is horseshit, and his play is horseshit, and he reminds me of that game we thunderdomed and I totally owned his scummy ass.  But lashing out at the one person pushing a case against you is counterproductive.

Instead, let's see how everyone really feels about Toaster

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 18, 2023, 03:14:20 am »

You seem to have a different recollection of that game than I do. I lost that game for my team N1, and I think it took ‘til D4 for town to realize it. The reason I went after you was because everyone else was mechanically cleared, and the fact you thought it was a thunderdome is testament to the play of my team.

If you want to thunderdome now I’m pretty sure I could make zero posts between now and the end of the day, and I’d still win. That’s how badly you’ve played.

Equally so, both the people you want to sheep have me as a scumread. Fire away if you want, I’ve been one of the most prolific posters of the day, there’s plenty enough evidence to build a case if you think I’ve played horseshit. I won’t even argue against it.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 92