Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17

Author Topic: CYOGTCG Legacy - Battlefield 2  (Read 7316 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOGTCG Legacy - Battlefield 2
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2022, 05:27:39 pm »

I draw my card. I play Falling Stars:

I follow it up with another Clutch of Eggs on Honeycomb:

I now have a total of 5 Honeycombs in play. They give my other cards a total of +5/+15 and themselves a total of +4/+12. My field now looks like this: Crippled Genius (6, 14/16), Crippled Genius (6, 14/16), Honeycomb (4, 18/18), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Honeycomb (1, 13/13).

I kill your five Leeches with my two Crippled Geniuses and three attack-capable Honeycombs, giving both of us five stars. With that, I end my turn, drawing two cards and gaining two stars.

Field: Crippled Genius (6, 14/16), Crippled Genius (6, 14/16), Honeycomb (4, 18/18), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Honeycomb (5, 13/13).
Hearts: 20
Stars: 11
Hand: 11
Discard: Biodiversity, Verdant Growth, Clutch of Eggs, Verdant Growth, Verdant Growth, Verdant Growth, Biodiversity, Crippled Genius, Clutch of Eggs, Falling Stars, Clutch of Eggs

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2022, 05:38:26 pm »

You were saying something about Decay NQT? Cold snap seems to have killed that right off.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2022, 05:39:15 pm »

No one has exploited Clutch of Eggs or Falling Stars yet, so congrats. Balancing this game truly is a game of whack-a-mole.  Speaking of small furry animals...

I draw a card and play:

It drops another acorn. I then flip both acorns...

And pay their costs to make two oak trees!

The oak trees both drop an acorn each and my turn ends.

Field: Squirrel 1/1, Oak Tree 0/15, Oak Tree 0/15, Acorn 0/1, Acorn 0/1,
Stars: 1
Hearts: 16
Hand: 7
Discard: Gratuitous Harem, Decay, Worm x 5, Acorn x2

The oak tree is incidentally the reason for the clarification in the rules about how 'every turn' is meant to be interpreted only as 'only on your turns'.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2022, 05:56:04 pm »

I draw a card. It's—sigh—Biodiversity.

I play two Baby Swarms, bloating my Field line to unseen lengths:

(I assume summoned tokens count for the "cards played this turn can't attack" rule.)

My non-babies attack! Both Crippled Geniuses and the original Honeycomb smack the first Oak Tree for 16. Two copied Honeycombs smack the other for 10. The other two take out the remaining Acorns.

I end my turn and do the usual.

Field: Crippled Genius (6, 14/16), Crippled Genius (6, 14/16), Honeycomb (4, 18/18), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Baby (5, 16/16) * 8
Hand: 12
Stars: 13

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2022, 07:25:40 pm »

Funnily enough, if I'd been cheesy enough to include Biodiversity and Verdant, I'd probably have the momentum and tech to counter some of this nonsense... but I don't, so I won't.

Still, let's see what I can do...

Five worms, four acorns and an oak tree translate into ten worms:

My squirrel decides not to attack. Oak Tree drops another acorn.

Field: Squirrel 1/1, Oak Tree 0/5, Acorn 0/1, Worm 0/1 x10
Stars: 1
Hearts: 16
Hand: 7
Discard: Gratuitous Harem, Decay, Decay

I'm going to let one of the spectators (Tric? Stirk?) make a ruling on whether your eight babies can attack on the same turn they're transformed. I suppose transformation is altering an existing card and not playing a new one, but let's see what someone else says.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2022, 07:36:46 pm »

I'm going to let one of the spectators (Tric? Stirk?) make a ruling on whether your eight babies can attack on the same turn they're transformed. I suppose transformation is altering an existing card and not playing a new one, but let's see what someone else says.
On the turn they're played with Baby Swarm or on the turn they become Lego Adults? The effect says "when this card attacks," so I assume the latter is allowed. The former, definitely not—it would be an incomprehensibly strong card otherwise.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2022, 07:40:52 pm »

As the attack is occurring, and it's transformation? Yes, as written.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2022, 07:44:11 pm »

The opposite of whatever Tric says, just to make things confusing.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2022, 07:44:28 pm »

Sorry it's late here and I worded that poorly:

The babies attack, and as they attack they can be transformed, but is the attack processed as a 4/4, or do the legomen appear after? The action order is a bit ambiguous.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2022, 07:54:01 pm »

I draw a card.

First of all, I destroy your thirteen cards with thirteen of mine. If the specifics matter: the Crippled Geniuses destroy the tree and acorn; the babies destroy the Squirrel and seven worms; three copied honeycombs take out the the other three worms. Finally, I play Waifu Upper on the remaining copied honeycomb:

It gains +15/+15, for a total of 20/28. It attacks you directly for 20 points of damage.

That ends my turn. Assuming you don't have a Mirror Maid lurking in wait, that should be the end of it. I'll do the usual +2/+2 just in case.

Field: Crippled Genius (6, 14/16), Crippled Genius (6, 14/16), Honeycomb (4, 18/18), Honeycomb (20, 28/28), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Honeycomb (5, 13/13), Baby (5, 15/16), Baby (5, 16/16) * 7
Hand: 14
Stars: 15

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 06, 2022, 07:54:53 pm »

The babies attack. The star is paid at that time. And combat occurs.

Attack Declaration > Attack/Initiation > Clash/Combat > After Combat Effects/Leaving Play

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 07, 2022, 03:13:14 am »

Elephant Parade wins vs notquitethere

Both players enter their next design phase.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 07, 2022, 12:16:04 pm »

It's funny that we both ended up running card spam decks. Gratuitous Harem + Decay is an extremely clever combo that nicely exploits the main downside of Gratuitous Harem (its tendency to kill half the cards it summons).

If not for Biodiversity (and, to a lesser degree, Verdant Growth), I probably wouldn't have been able to keep up with the Worm spam. What I'd have done instead is ignore it and continue to build my field to ridiculous heights. Eventually, I'd have drawn either Fall of Man or Cyber Dragon. The former likely would've let me get through your Worm wall and kill you in one turn; the latter would've let me ignore it entirely. Of course, you might've had a plan in mind for if I ignored the Worms.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 12:20:21 pm by Elephant Parade »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 07, 2022, 12:47:06 pm »

I had a great counter card for your cloning and token spam, but I didn't draw it, and even if I had, I might not have had the momentum to use it given how much health all your cards had:

This also would have been a good way to go, if I'd packed it (which I didn't as it didn't fit the theme):

I actually underestimated how good my star gen would be and didn't stock many really scary cards. I was relying on getting an unstoppable momentum with the oak trees -> acorns -> oak tree spam, with most of my creatures being birds and squirrels.

I didn't have a decent counter to Cyber Dragon, so you might have been able to win with that in any case.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 07, 2022, 12:57:09 pm »

I had a great counter card for your cloning and token spam, but I didn't draw it, and even if I had, I might not have had the momentum to use it given how much health all your cards had:

This also would have been a good way to go, if I'd packed it (which I didn't as it didn't fit the theme):
Fisher King's Blade is a neat way to beat cloning. Crusade is actually something I worried about while I built my deck... and seeing it again, I realize that my custom N.A.A. is woefully overcosted. Oh well.

I actually underestimated how good my star gen would be and didn't stock many really scary cards. I was relying on getting an unstoppable momentum with the oak trees -> acorns -> oak tree spam, with most of my creatures being birds and squirrels.
Same, actually. I was worried about having the stars to play Honeycomb, never mind anything more expensive; I greatly underestimated my income from Crippled Genius and Falling Stars. Aside from Honeycomb, I only ran three cards with star costs, all at one copy.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 17