Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130167 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #825 on: August 10, 2022, 12:18:58 pm »

Nah, it did. Main westward road from Kyiv was filled to the brim for few days straight. How do you think all those refugee hordes left the country?  :P

I didn't say that there were no traffic jams. I said there were no traffic jams everywhere. Huge majority of roads were free and operational for essential logistics and there was no nationwide panic. And even convoys of civilian cars going to Poland were quite fast-moving (in part because Poland did everything superbly, Poland managed to accept a huge amount of traffic through several border crossings. Polish help was (and is) immense)
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: August 10, 2022, 12:48:10 pm »

Right, and here you see one traffic jam. Like you see on any highway, anywhere, everyday. But you decide to read it as widespread panic.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: August 10, 2022, 12:57:43 pm »

Right, and here you see one traffic jam. Like you see on any highway, anywhere, everyday. But you decide to read it as widespread panic.

Widespread? No(t yet). But if you want to persuade me that this traffic jam isn't caused by Russian tourists suddenly deciding to abort their vacation... I won't believe you
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 10, 2022, 12:59:09 pm »

Except there is only one highway from Crimea to Russia -- the Kerch strait bridge -- and that is what is filled with traffic in a particular direction. Thus we can say that there is an abnormally high amount of traffic going between those two destinations even given only this one traffic jam. There is more than one border crossing between Poland and Ukraine.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Euan_MacDonald/status/1557026534635995139

« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 01:01:24 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 10, 2022, 01:20:42 pm »

But how do you >know< it's not a regular traffic jam on a highway? This is a genuine question. Like, are all those cars on plates from outside Crimea? (for example)
I get into at least one jam whenever I drive between Krakow and Wroclaw. It's not that hard to find one to film and slap a heart-warming/vindicative/propagandist explanation on. Because it couldn't possibly be another broken truck blocking a lane.

You do understand what I'm getting at, right?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 10, 2022, 01:47:40 pm »

Propaganda is a useful tool for everyone. It's just easier to assume Ukrainian propaganda is true because we largely sympathize with them and not the Russians.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 10, 2022, 02:48:30 pm »

But how do you >know< it's not a regular traffic jam on a highway? This is a genuine question. Like, are all those cars on plates from outside Crimea?
Why do I assume that it is not a regular traffic jam?

Because it is not the only source of information that Russian tourists are leaving Crimean beaches en masse. Because I know that usually there are no multi-hour traffic jams in this area at this time of the year. It isn't early-mid September when Russians come home from vacations.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 11, 2022, 02:42:25 am »

Why is a traffic jam that big of a deal anyway, wouldn't the Russian vacationers have left the area long ago?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 11, 2022, 03:23:35 am »

Why is a traffic jam that big of a deal anyway, wouldn't the Russian vacationers have left the area long ago?

Cockiness due to Putin's propaganda, or possibly not wanting to be seen giving the regime an obvious sign that they don't believe in Dear Leader's ability to ensure their safety, which may run the risk of suicide by defenestration/shooting oneself in the back of the head/serving oneself a cup of polonium tea/etc.

Or just being mocked as cowards by their fellows who drank much more of the koolaid, since being outed as someone who went too easy on the koolaid is a Bad Thing in fascist communities. That's presumably not pleasant either.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 11, 2022, 10:58:33 am »

Russians keep shelling the area around the Zaporizhya nuclear plant today... Or one can think that Ukrainians are doing it just before Russia called for a UN Security Council to discuss the situation around the station.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 11, 2022, 11:56:41 am »

The prospect of Russia destroying a large nuclear power plant as part of a scorched earth policy is kind of terrifying. After the number of nuclear disasters they've been witness to, you'd think that would be a bridge too far. But I don't anything is a bridge too far for the current regime.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 11, 2022, 12:40:27 pm »

If they cause a nuclear disaster there, it will likely be bigger than Chernobyl, looking at the power plant's size.
That would mean (depending on the wind) irradiating half of Europe again.
Which I think would mean war.

Also I don't think it was Russia who called for the UN Security meeting. Unless they called for it after a lot of other countries had already called for that (and the UN Secretary already strongly suggested the power plant be abandoned as a military site by Russia)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 12:42:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 11, 2022, 03:38:35 pm »

Listening to the Russian UN representative... I raise my own estimated probability of them blowing up the station and blaming Ukraine to something around 20%

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 11, 2022, 09:27:21 pm »

Eh, easy there. The Kremlin's statements should be taken as a black box mostly. They say absolutely whatever and whenever to give an aura of unpredictability so their threats create more unease. There is little of underlying value to be found there.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 12, 2022, 01:43:58 am »

I'm surprised they haven't blown the thing up already given how shit they've been with other things they've done during this whole war.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 167