Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130184 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #810 on: August 09, 2022, 04:59:51 am »

So how is the Ukraine supposed to protect the civilians in cities if they can't have soldiers in cities?
That's the neat thing, they can't. Amnesty can go and shove their accusations up their collective ass.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: August 09, 2022, 08:55:16 am »

So, the first strike into Crimea... I mean Russians really should stop smoking near their military airbases.

Spoiler: Relevant meme (click to show/hide)

I can't... Internet is full of videos of MASSIVE explosions and Russian official news are like "Nothing major happened, few bombs accidentally detonated, no causalities and no damaged aircrafts. And Ukrainians have nothing to do with this."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:26:54 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: August 09, 2022, 09:26:22 am »

It is interesting that we're recently finding about US aid by Russia complaining about the wreckage. Their use of the AGM-88 HARM from an unknown platform was not announced until after AGM-88 wreckage was posted on social media.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: August 09, 2022, 09:47:56 am »

So how is the Ukraine supposed to protect the civilians in cities if they can't have soldiers in cities?
That's the neat thing, they can't. Amnesty can go and shove their accusations up their collective ass.
Amnesty didn’t say they can’t have soldiers in cities.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: August 09, 2022, 09:52:26 am »

They said exactly that. I made a long post quoting relevant parts of their "report" that say exactly that. Move to military bases and wooded areas and get killed there)))
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: August 09, 2022, 10:04:55 am »

They said exactly that. I made a long post quoting relevant parts of their "report" that say exactly that. Move to military bases and wooded areas and get killed there)))

When alternatives are available they should be used, is what they said.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: August 09, 2022, 10:12:18 am »

And the whole point is that there AREN'T alternatives available. Not unless you want your populace to return to places with no housing, no industry, no infrastructure, etc. Unless you think that A. the Russians will just leave without being forced out, violently or B. the Russians are going to find any problem with demolishing a city if, somehow, Ukraine manages to beat superior Russian numbers in the open field and forces the Russians to retreat.

There is absolutely nothing for it but to fight from the cities, which are both the location that must be defended the most AND the easiest places to defend. Losing the entire country to literally genocidal maniacs in exchange for slightly less threat to civilians is...not an option. Not a realistic, reasonable, or conscionable one anyway.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: August 09, 2022, 10:22:44 am »

And the whole point is that there AREN'T alternatives available. Not unless you want your populace to return to places with no housing, no industry, no infrastructure, etc. Unless you think that A. the Russians will just leave without being forced out, violently or B. the Russians are going to find any problem with demolishing a city if, somehow, Ukraine manages to beat superior Russian numbers in the open field and forces the Russians to retreat.

There is absolutely nothing for it but to fight from the cities, which are both the location that must be defended the most AND the easiest places to defend. Losing the entire country to literally genocidal maniacs in exchange for slightly less threat to civilians is...not an option. Not a realistic, reasonable, or conscionable one anyway.

Again someone is coming from the position that Amnesty said not to fight in cities.

The report said the military should use viable alternatives if available, and if not, make every available effort to protect civilians nearby.

The advice is “be better”, which is shit advice, yes, but it is not “LET RUSSIA OVERRUN YOUR POSITIONS WITH NO RESISTANCE AND RAPE PILLAGE AND MURDER THEIR WAY TO KYIV YOU FUCKS”, as everyone here appears to think.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: August 10, 2022, 12:49:01 am »

So, the first strike into Crimea... I mean Russians really should stop smoking near their military airbases.

So, we finally get to see what Medvedev meant by "Judgement Day will instantly await" if anything like this happened. Perhaps. So am now awaiting. Instantly!

(I presume that's a decent translation with nuance transposed across the linguistic gap. But it may be a bit of a Google Translate atrocity of (non)sense rather than a brain-in-neutral/mouth-in-gear oddness even in the original.) ((Or, indeed, if the error wasn't a thinko at this end, someone mistranscribing "instantly awake"!))

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: August 10, 2022, 01:44:39 am »

Judgement day will have to wait more. Russian ministry of defense offense says that it was a minor accident with no damage to aircrafts and it is not related to any enemy action.

Here is how cars on a parking lot near the airbase look - https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1557248601591521280  I am sure that all of the aircrafts there are in a perfect flying condition

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: August 10, 2022, 04:00:30 am »

Moskva was also a minor accident with no casualties.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #821 on: August 10, 2022, 05:44:13 am »

A senior Pentagon official estimated on Monday, August 8 that as many as 80,000 Russians have been killed or wounded in Ukraine since the war began in late February.

"The Russians have probably taken 70 or 80,000 casualties in less than six months

On one hand, it sounds like a lot... But the sad reality that it is a drop in a bucket of in Russian manpower. Like 0.2% of their adult male population. This war will not end any time soon.
It is however, 10% of active personnel

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: August 10, 2022, 08:54:31 am »

A senior Pentagon official estimated on Monday, August 8 that as many as 80,000 Russians have been killed or wounded in Ukraine since the war began in late February.

"The Russians have probably taken 70 or 80,000 casualties in less than six months

On one hand, it sounds like a lot... But the sad reality that it is a drop in a bucket of in Russian manpower. Like 0.2% of their adult male population. This war will not end any time soon.
It is however, 10% of active personnel
Yeah. Once active personnel runs dry, they will have to mobilize. Which will ignite unrest, on a much larger scale than the war did.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: August 10, 2022, 11:21:03 am »

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1557397898173812737

Brave Russian tourists don't seem to believe in the Russian military might that will protect them against Ukrainian strikes. Russians pretend to believe propaganda... until their own lives are threatened. Enjoy your summer vacation, guys!

BTW, it is what Russians expected to see on all Ukrainian roads after their initial strike. Never happened.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: August 10, 2022, 11:42:30 am »

Nah, it did. Main westward road from Kyiv was filled to the brim for few days straight. How do you think all those refugee hordes left the country?  :P
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 11:45:58 am by MCreeper »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 167