Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 167

Author Topic: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary & Mutual Support  (Read 130125 times)

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Responses to War in Ukraine - Personal Diary Edition
« Reply #855 on: August 17, 2022, 12:34:32 pm »

But acknowledging it does nothing to stop them from using the plant as a base.

What it DOES do is acknowledge that Russia is at fault if anything happens to the plant.

This is huge.  It gives Russia what they hate the most: Accountability.

This also opens the door to petitioning for neutral inspectors to make sure the plant is properly secured and regulated.

The plant is being run (“run”) by Ukrainian technicians so even if neutral inspectors highlight issues, Russia will say it’s Ukraine’s fault, unless it can be directly related to the presence of Russia soldiers, in which case Russia will say it’s Ukraine’s fault.

Russia will say it is Ukraine's fault even if there will be all possible proofs pointing at them. What is funny - It will work. See MH17 (Well, maybe, in another decade or two there will be a court verdict that will go through all possible appeals...)

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 17, 2022, 12:43:16 pm »

That was my point, aye.

Russia take the post-truth tack of blaming everyone else, and when they can’t do that, say everyone else does it too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 17, 2022, 01:07:55 pm »

Yes. It is beneficial to bear in mind that Russia is at the moment a wild animal which considers itself not beholden to anyone. Any international organization deciding that it's breaking rules and norms does not put institutional pressure on Russia. They refuse to participate on that stage and instead make their own.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 18, 2022, 03:26:06 am »

What's to stop Russia from capturing the neutral inspectors and saying that they are spies?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 18, 2022, 05:08:34 am »

Erdogan is coming to Ukraine today. Probably, one of the main goals of the visit is to try to persuade Zelensky to accept some Putin's terms.

I doubt that any agreement with Russia is possible because all that bunch of armed Ukrainian men will see any kind of plausible ceasefire as treason and I hope Zelensky and our parliament understand this.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 18, 2022, 07:08:11 am »

Erdogan isn't even the posterboy for democratic and/or equitable solutions. His country has its external/residual issues, of course, but I'm not sure this is reason enough to be the way be is.

Of course, the place's position as effective gatekeeper on a major transport route probably gives him that much more oomph on the world stage. I imagine he can exhert disproportionate clout even on Russia, but doubt he'll actually do that to the net benefit of Ukraine. Probably just enhance his own position whilst brokering a mutually unfulfilling scenario that won't ultimately fail because of his involvement, no, not at all...

I suppose it depends upon feelings about the grain-agreement(s), and how that's progressing, if it's just another incremental trilateral step and not leaping straight up to actual ground-concessions that are still well beyond the red lines both beligerants can't even draw anywhere near the others' red lines, let alone anywhere that gives room for mutually acceptable compromises.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 18, 2022, 10:18:38 am »

MELITOPOL, August 18. /TASS/. The Ukrainian military may deliberately target the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant’s cooling system or its nuclear waste storage facility in order to stage a false flag during UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres’ visit to Ukraine, a member of the main council of the Zaporozhye Region’s military-civilian administration told TASS.

"Beginning with the shelling of some residential facilities such as in Nikopol or Marganets, supposedly from public cameras and from hearsay claiming that it ‘came from us’. Or, most likely, [they are plotting] strikes on the nuclear power plant and the attempts at more precise strikes on the cooling system or directly on the waste dry storage facility," Vladimir Rogov specified.

Earlier on Thursday, Russian Defense Ministry Spokesman Igor Konashenkov reported that on August 19, Kiev was plotting to stage a highly publicized false flag at the Zaporozhye nuclear power plant during Guterres’ visit to Ukraine in order to accuse Russia of creating a man-made catastrophe at the nuclear facility.

The Zaporozhye nuclear power plant located in Energodar is controlled by Russian troops. Over the past few days, Ukrainian forces have carried out several strikes on the Zaporozhye NPP’s premises, using, among other things, drones, heavy artillery and multiple-launch rocket systems. The majority of attacks have been deflected by Russia’s air defense systems, however, some shells struck various infrastructure facilities and the vicinity of a nuclear waste storage facility.

So, Russians, more or less, announced that they will do something at the nuclear plant tomorrow. It is unlikely that they will go as far as blow the reactors (too much damage to them) up but something like deliberately damaging the cooling system and creating a radioactive water leak is very likely.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 18, 2022, 10:38:44 am »

It's perfect Russian thinking. "Claim Ukraine would destroy their own nuclear power plant and poison their own lands just to make it look like Russia did it." It's the kind of thing Russia would do in their shoes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 18, 2022, 11:18:39 am »

Russia has told its nuclear workers stationed at Zaporizhzhia Nuclear Power Plant not to go to work tomorrow, Ukrainian military intelligence official says - NBC

Well...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 18, 2022, 11:26:11 am »

Damn.

Hopefully, the Russians will go for the minor leak that does little, and not the "Self-Destruct Button of Ukraine" option.

It could seriously go either way.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 18, 2022, 11:32:15 am »

I'm surprised they actually bothered to encourage their workers to stay out of the line of fire while they're trying to blow shit up and blame it on Ukraine, given how little they care about anyone else's lives, Russian or Ukrainian.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 18, 2022, 11:44:35 am »

https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1560303702912733186

Here is a buildining standing right next to the reactor. If those trucks are full of explosives...

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 18, 2022, 11:49:28 am »

False-False-Flag?

Nyet, is False-False-False-Flag!

So, then I think it must be a False-False-False-Fal..?

Stop confusing us! That is our job!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 18, 2022, 11:56:04 am »

Why would Ukraine damage an important piece of infrastructure just to spite the Russians, when they can wait 10 minutes for another Russian war crime to be reported?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 18, 2022, 12:28:00 pm »

Among other news, Zelensky's meeting with Erdogan was short (around ~45) and, on the following press conference, Zelensly said that there will be no negotiations until Russia remove its troops from Ukraine.

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 167