Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 75

Author Topic: Webadict's Simple BYOR 2 - Game Over: Town Win  (Read 54180 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Webadict's Simple BYOR 2 - Day 2: Tricky Magic [8 / 9 Alive]
« Reply #495 on: March 28, 2022, 06:39:03 am »

4mask not reacting to it at all is pretty bad
Yep. I'm saying they're 100% mafia in every post and there's nothing...

I'm pretty sure a roleblocker exists based on part of my role, so I think mafia just didn't use it last night? Or they did but it went down in a way where we're unaware. Let's just say I have another ability that's useless if no roleblocker exists.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 28, 2022, 06:49:48 am »

4maskwolf - gave a thing to Jim
EuchreJack - I have no idea
Jim Groovester - redirected all actions from self to 4mask, watched me visit 4mask, presumably because I targeted Jim, confirmed they got the thing from 4mask
notquitethere - tried to track Roden, failed because commuter
Maximum Spin - inspected me, got town result
Roden - hid as commuter
ToonyMan - tried to autowipe Jim, swapped 4mask and Tric as bus driver
TricMagic - nuked self to prevent any deaths

Some things:
1. How was 4mask able to give Jim an item?
2. Jack what did you do last night? Did I miss it?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 28, 2022, 09:09:38 am »

I was worried scum could have a Roleblocker and stop my Vig that way, but no one seemed to have an issue with their action last night except NQT, who only failed because I Commuted, so I doubt one exists.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but the town vs mafia power disparity feels very off. I would've expected at least a blocker of some kind, but without one I'm just confused about what exactly they're supposed to do. Does anyone else feel this way?

Well, if you have multiple abilities, it stands to reason that mafia has multiple abilities.  Thus, they probably have a roleblocker that they didn't use.
Additionally, we won't know the mafia vs. town power balance until the game is over.

I didn't claim.
Since everyone has claimed, I might as well.
I tracked Maximum Spin visiting Toonyman.  So it only bolsters existing players, but I felt it best to be clear whom I am bolstering.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 28, 2022, 09:25:13 am »

I tracked Maximum Spin visiting Toonyman.  So it only bolsters existing players, but I felt it best to be clear whom I am bolstering.
Hey, I'm taking back what I said before. You don't get credit if you didn't figure it out on your own!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 28, 2022, 11:18:46 am »

Jim said he received something, but he's smartly not claiming what it is. I'm not told what priority my giving items "action" is but I assume it outspeeds any disruption just for simplicity's sake. All I know is that the item did leave my possession.
4maskwolf, I don't buy it, I know for a fact that there is a specific numerical priority for free actions that "outspeed everything else" and I do not believe that you, specifically, have your priorities hidden.
My ability to hand off items it attached to an auto, and thus has no listed priority.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 28, 2022, 11:48:38 am »

4mask, who does Roden shoot if you flip town? Jack still?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 28, 2022, 12:03:44 pm »

Approach
When scumhunting, I have one major rubric for evaluating players: do they actually want to catch the scum? This can be broken down into various smaller questions like:
- Do they show through their posting an engagement with the game (its state of play and mechanics) that seeks to solve?
- Do they interact with a wide range of players?
- Do they entertain multiple possibilities?

Bad town play can make for false positives, but in general the most engaged players are usually town.

So let's see the players. This is basically D1 only as I ran out of time. D2 readback wil come next when I can.

Euchrejack

Out the gates with the early Miller claim. Euchrejack is the only 'miller' who claimed pre-emptively and unprovoked. But he also has the most suspect of miller mechanics, claiming to flip mafia on death but then later rescinds and says he doesn't. Still, for that he's active and has a range of suspects (which is maybe bare minimum for play).

Toony

First thing, claims a red inspect on Roden as a joke, which Roden freaks out about. Toony is nice and active and offers suspicions and teams... but doesn't really explain them a lot of the time. Like this is typical fare:

EuchreJack. I feel like it's 4mask and Jack if Jim is town.

Or Vector is one of the mafia and I have no idea who the other is, but not much I can do about that.

He says "I feel like", but anyone can have feelings... I can feel ill disposed to a player because I have indigestion or I hate their posting style. What we want to see are reasons. What I do like is Toony is willing to entertain different suspects, and jumps about a fair bit. That's what we expect to see from someone who's genuinly considering it all.

4mask

Redpeeks (fake or not?) Jim. Has poor follow up. He later implies that he has real reasons for suspecting Toony but this is pure vagueness. It could be true: town can hidden info on each other that for mechanical reasons we don't want to share, but the mafia always have such info. So it's a bit of a dubious approach.

He has a very emotive play, honed on his jaunts on other sites I guess, which is hard to parse in the Bay12 context. Stuff like this:

4mask say something only town!4mask would say and I'll vote Tric. I think he's the biggest hit between Jack/Tric/Max if you're town.
Toonyman
:wowee: :wowee: :wowee:

Re: Jim and townreads I’d seen it said so much (including by me) that I was wondering if he was just threadspewed town at that point, only to find out it was only about half the thread.

Jim doesn't understand it, and I don't understand it either. I do like how he comes around to giving actual reason for voting Jack... it's a low bar for voting but not all players reach it.

Roden

Really interesting thing. While Jack miller claims without provocation, Roden reluctantly does so after trying to confirm whether of not the (fake)inspect on them was meant seriously:

I got a mafia result on Roden.
Is this a serious claim?

They then go from being cagey about giving info, to spewing it left and right with the miller, auto and commuter claims.

His vote on Vector was just about being "comfortable":

I'm comfortable voting somewhere in 4mask/Knightwing/Vector. I know the latter two typically don't post much but they feel extra lurky.

Vector

What reasoning is this? The vote on Knightwing is more understandable, it's a pressure vote... but then they do nothing with it. It just sits inert while a town player is lynched. Classic scumplay.

Jim

Claims miller. 4mask had 'redpeeked' him but not in a serious way, he could have ignored it. (Aside: I think he submitted Film Crit Hulk, before he gave up the all caps routine.) One interesting result of the all caps thing is a lot of players just don't want to interact with Jim. I'll remember this the next time I play scum! Tiruin used to slip through games by having a hard-to-parse style and something similar may be going on here.

Anyway, that's interesting, but I don't think it's an intentional tactic. Jim gives reads and explains a lot of them cogently enough, so he's not using the style thing to activelurk or similar.

Tric

Opening angle is about how much someone wants to live... town players often show a willingness for self sacrifice, but wanting to survive is not a purely mafia (or 3rd party) trait. It's NAI and this is a questionable line of enquiry. Still Tric spends most of D1 not actually doing anything. Really wishy-washy stuff.

Max Spin
Their play is really weird. They turn on Vector with basically no reason. Just pure wagonning. Is it because Vector hasn't posted much? If so, why not say? They really don't give much that's good to work with. After my D2 read back, I'm going to drill down on this one.

So in summary, before getting into the nitty-gritty of night action claims and the like, my D1 reads are:

Town
Jim
Toony

Hmmm
EuchreJack
4mask
Tric

Scum
Max Spin
Roden

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 28, 2022, 12:20:42 pm »

Max Spin
Their play is really weird. They turn on Vector with basically no reason. Just pure wagonning. Is it because Vector hasn't posted much? If so, why not say? They really don't give much that's good to work with. After my D2 read back, I'm going to drill down on this one.
I am only one person.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 28, 2022, 01:33:24 pm »

4mask, who does Roden shoot if you flip town? Jack still?
Eh. Gun to head have to answer now I'd say yeah but I haven't really had a chance to evaluate my reads based on everything that's happened. I had some thoughts overnight about Max but they claimed cop so I have to reevaluate, and I was enjoying a lazy weekend before the new term.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Webadict's Simple BYOR 2 - Day 1: Murder Most Foul [9 / 9 Alive]
« Reply #504 on: March 28, 2022, 01:35:08 pm »

Somebody asked me yesterday right at EoD what :wowee: is. This is :wowee:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 28, 2022, 03:11:36 pm »

Wow NQT really wants me gone lol, you're describing my play as if every breath I took was sinister and planned.

Funny that neither NQT or 4mask have yet to react or respond to the PoE plan.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 28, 2022, 03:13:00 pm »

I was worried scum could have a Roleblocker and stop my Vig that way, but no one seemed to have an issue with their action last night except NQT, who only failed because I Commuted, so I doubt one exists.

I probably sound like a broken record at this point, but the town vs mafia power disparity feels very off. I would've expected at least a blocker of some kind, but without one I'm just confused about what exactly they're supposed to do. Does anyone else feel this way?

Well, if you have multiple abilities, it stands to reason that mafia has multiple abilities.  Thus, they probably have a roleblocker that they didn't use.
Additionally, we won't know the mafia vs. town power balance until the game is over.

I didn't claim.
Interesting. NQT already claimed Tracker.

Jim said he received something, but he's smartly not claiming what it is. I'm not told what priority my giving items "action" is but I assume it outspeeds any disruption just for simplicity's sake. All I know is that the item did leave my possession.
4maskwolf, I don't buy it, I know for a fact that there is a specific numerical priority for free actions that "outspeed everything else" and I do not believe that you, specifically, have your priorities hidden.
My ability to hand off items it attached to an auto, and thus has no listed priority.
That's not true, you already claimed it was a free action.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 28, 2022, 03:27:36 pm »

I can be inspected and will flip mafia.
will flip mafia.
Do I think Webadict would have a town role that flips mafia in a non-bastard?

I don't. You're interpreting incorrectly or lying.

I got a mafia result on Roden.
Is this a serious claim?
You tell me.
Please just answer the question.
Please just answer the question.
I would love to keep this up, but the no nonsense attitude is kind of a bummer. I am unsure if a mafia!Roden would behave this way.

I'm kidding about having a N0 (or immediate D1 action?) inspect on Roden because that's incredibly stupid. It's a joke because I've been framing Roden in the last few games. I can't believe I have to answer this straight-faced for him when he complained about me doing this in the last game and should know what I'm doing.

Anyway, probably town for now.
I figured that's what you were doing, but I wanted to be sure on the off chance you actually did have a N0 inspect on me, since I'm a Miller.

Jim Groovester is redpeeked, all aboard!

I'M A MILLER.

NOT THAT YOU WERE SERIOUS ABOUT IT ANYWAY.
...You too? So Jack, you, and me are all claiming Miller now.

Any other Millers we should know about?
This is considered a freak out I guess lol

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 28, 2022, 03:54:22 pm »

Switching to 4maskwolf, as I like the recent NQT post. It's a bit dated, but at least they're trying.

Roden, I'm feeling a bit better about you.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 28, 2022, 04:09:58 pm »

I think what is bothering me the most about 4maskwolf is that their claim is confusing.
Even Jim's claim at least makes some marginal sense.
Now, I know what I have.  And others have shared what they have.  So, we know that most players have:
Auto
Ability 1
Ability 2

Now, there may be variations on that.  But I just can't make sense of 4maskwolf.  Which is exactly how scum would play, since mafia probably have:
Auto
Ability 1
Ability 2
Mafiakill

With the abilities in mafia hands likely being only useful to scum, or marginally useful for town.

I didn't claim.
Interesting. NQT already claimed Tracker.

Credit where credit is due, good point Roden.  For now, I can accept two town trackers.  But I'll add NQT to my POE.

I would say my POE is 4maskwolf/NQT/Jim.  Roden is on the periphery, but I think Roden is town.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 75