Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 35993 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)
« Reply #465 on: November 25, 2022, 11:10:52 pm »

Doc nudges his partner.

"This is the part where you set them all on fire"

He whispers to the fox.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: November 26, 2022, 12:12:40 am »

<Okay. You seemed to want to talk it out.>
My flames rush forward and engulf the blue-lit chamber before us.

Irine
current form: multi-tailed-fox
mana: 200/200
active flames: 1 flame dance, 3 flame orbs, forest fire flames.

Spoiler: Irine (click to show/hide)
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: November 27, 2022, 11:06:52 pm »

Irine and Doc

Irine 15 (Agility 12)
Doc 15 (Agility 20)
Asclepius 20
Glycon (1) 6
Glycon (2) 1
Glycon (3) 19
Asterios 9

Doc Luck Check: 5 (Success), 20 (No Crit) +40 Damage for Irine
Irine moves the fire
Asclepius Endurance Check: 4 (Success), 12 (No Crit), Remainder 9
Asclepius Loses 10 Mana (Now 190)
Glycon 1 Endurance Check: 13 (Success), 1 (Crit Success), Remainder 1
Glycon 2 Endurance Check: 1 (Success), 17 (No Crit), Remainder 11
Glycon 2 Loses 10 Mana (Now 90)
Glycon 3 Endurance Check: 15 (Failure)
Glycon 3 Loses 20 Mana (Now 80)
Asterios Endurance Check: 7 (Success), 12 (Crit Success), Remainder 23
Asterios Agility Check: 8 (Success)
Asterios Agility Check: 8 (Success), 15 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 4 vs 10 (Success), 1 (Crit Success), Remainder 9
Glcyon 1 Agility Check: 10 (Success)
Glycon 1 Uses Constrict on Doc
Doc Loses 20 Mana (Now 120)
Glycon 2 Agility Check: 9 (Success)
Glycon 2 Agility Check: 2 (Success), 11 (No Crit), Remainder 10 vs 8 (Success), 2 (Crit Success), Remainder 2

After the snake had reentered the glowing chamber, Doc nudged his companion.

"This is the part where you set them all on fire" he whispered to the fox in his arms.

“Okay.” Irine replied telepathically, “You seemed to want to talk it out.”

With that settled, Irine released all the fires that she had been carrying behind her into the chamber in front of them. The flame dance laid over the floor, as the patterns began reforming, while the rest created a fiery explosion, blasting fire over everyone inside. Irine and Doc could hear a few pained hisses and screams from inside, but also the sound of movement.

They could hear massive footprints pound as the ground shook, and as they watched, a massive figure appeared in their vision. The minotaur, backlit by the blue light of the chamber and the blazing light of the fire, let out a monstrous roar, before charging at them, flanked by a pair of the same serpent that had greeted them.

The minotaur was the first to reach them, running over the flame dance like it was nothing, his massive ax coming down right where Doc had just been standing, and if Doc hadn’t been able to jump out of the way in time, he surely would have been cut in half. Unfortunately, he had dropped Irine in the process.

However, that wasn’t of too much concern now, as one of the snakes had arrived, and begun coiling around him, the pressure crushing him, and restraining his movements, a combo he did not need in the process of avoiding the giant monster that was trying to murder him.

Irine meanwhile was a bit better off. After she had been dropped, the other snake trained on her and lunged, but Irine had been able to scamper out of the way, leaving the snake only striking the ground where she had been.

Nuada
Nuada Gains 10 Mana (Now 20)
Rama Gains 10 Mana (Now 130)
Nuada Agility Check (Close to Melee): 6 (Success), 11 (Crit Success), Remainder 7 vs 10 (Success), 18 (Crit Success), Remainder 2
Nuada Agility Check: 6 (Success), 2 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 20 vs 18 (Success), 19 (No Crit), Remainder 12
Damage Check: 5 (Success), 14 (Crit Success) (2x), Remainder 13 vs 10 (Success), 6 (No Crit), Remainder 3
Rama Loses 100 Mana (Now 30)
Rama Agility Check: 10 (Success), 1 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 24 vs 13 (Success), 14 (Crit Success), Remainder 1
Damage Check: 13 (Success), 20 (No Crit), Remainder 17 vs 4 (Success), 18 (No Crit), Remainder 8
Nuada Loses 43 Mana (Now 0)
Nuada gains 10 Mana (Now 10)

Spurred on by his injury, Nuada charged towards the place the arrow had come from, not even bothering to cut through the trees, simply ignoring the branches as they snapped as he ran through them, until he caught up to the orange-haired boy. He swung his sword across his enemy’s torso, digging deep and drawing blood, with the blade only being stopped after passing a decent distance through the massive golden scale on his opponent’s waist.

However, even with the massive injury, his opponent was still able to fight. With a flash of lightning, the bow in his hands shifted into a sword, it’s blade made of orange metal, which he used to stab Nuada, cutting the layer of mana covering his spirit core, and pushing him off. Once more Nuada had to force his mana together to keep his core from shattering, but he didn’t think he had the strength to do it again.

Doc: 120
Irine: 200
Asclepius: 190
Glycon 1: 120
Glycon 2: 90
Glycon 3: 80
Asterios: 235
Nuada: 10
Rama: 30 Active Skill 2 turns 1 continue

Decided it was a good idea to keep the number of battle continuations left tracked with HP, as I have had a few times I forgot those. Also decided that Irine causing all her fire to hit the enemies would probably hurt, though I don't count it as a proper attack so it doesn't get the buff from Doc. Speaking of which, I think I need to look over Doc's buff and discuss if it should be weakened a bit. I know we discussed that it was balanced out by the chance of a failure and the enemy taking no damage for a turn, but unless I'm forgetting, I don't think we've ever hit that in the many times that I've rolled for the skill, so I'm not sure how well balanced it is. I'm not saying it needs to be removed, just perhaps decreased from +40, and I'm still open to discussing it. Anyway, I decided 20 damage AOE was a fair total for the damage Irine's explosion would do, mostly as it was kind of a burst without intended targets, but in the future, if you do a more targeted version of the attack, it will likely do more. I'm also working out ways to balance melee and range, which is currently giving ranged attacks an accuracy debuff at melee range, which I know doesn't make too much sense for, say, a gun, but there needs to be some kind of balance since ranged attacks require your opponent to roll to get into range if they only have melee. I'm open to suggestions.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: November 27, 2022, 11:26:12 pm »

I'm not sure what the attack actually stops me from doing. So I'll use Western Climate on myself in the assumption this active skill doesn't actually involve any moving and can be done while in the snake's grasp.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: November 28, 2022, 12:00:56 am »

I'm not sure what the attack actually stops me from doing. So I'll use Western Climate on myself in the assumption this active skill doesn't actually involve any moving and can be done while in the snake's grasp.
I think the simplest way to say it would be it stops you from doing things that need agility or strength rolls except for rolling to break out, so using your active skill is allowed.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: November 29, 2022, 10:55:57 pm »

I was already thinking about holding for another night to give others a chance to post, given the high intensity scene at the moment, but in light of next week being finals and my classes working on prepping us for finals, I think this might be a good time to put the game on hold until the end of the semester. I promise to actually come back when I'm free again rather than have this on indefinite hiatus until I kick myself into starting it up again like last time, but I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to try to work on this while also studying for finals.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: November 29, 2022, 11:08:02 pm »

I was already thinking about holding for another night to give others a chance to post, given the high intensity scene at the moment, but in light of next week being finals and my classes working on prepping us for finals, I think this might be a good time to put the game on hold until the end of the semester. I promise to actually come back when I'm free again rather than have this on indefinite hiatus until I kick myself into starting it up again like last time, but I'm not sure it's a good idea for me to try to work on this while also studying for finals.
that'd be helpful, i've been rather busy for similar reasons.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 09, 2022, 02:24:13 pm »

So, I finished my final final exam yesterday, but I want to take the weekend to relax after finals week, so our next update will be on Monday, December 12th.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 09, 2022, 03:29:56 pm »

I bring my fires back to focus on the the snake restricting Doc, the flame dance instead moving to attempt to restrict the ax-wielding giant, and I generate another flame orb to join them in the attempt. physically, I just need to keep my distance from our attackers if I can, but my primary focus is on my flames and attempting the superfine control necessary to not burn Doc while aiming so close to him right now, so if I get bound, then I get bound.

Irine
current form: multi-tailed-fox
mana: 200/200
active flames: 1 flame dance, 3 flame orbs, forest fire flames.

Spoiler: Irine (click to show/hide)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 09, 2022, 09:07:41 pm »

is my active skill still actve?  if not, start it and play the defensive either way. 
Gouge out the chainsaw priest's eyes with my thumbs.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 13, 2022, 02:23:59 am »

Irine and Doc

Irine 18
Doc 9
Asclepius 1
Glycon (1) 16
Glycon (2) 6 (Agility 12)
Glycon (3) 8
Asterios 6 (Agility 27)

Doc Luck Check: 15 (Success), 13 (No Crit) +40 Damage for Irine
Asclepius Gains 20 Mana (Now 200)
Asclepius Loses 20 Mana (Now 180)
Glycon 1 Loses 20 Mana (Now 100)
Glycon 2 Loses 20 Mana (Now 70)
Glycon 3 Loses 20 Mana (Now 60)
Asterios Loses 20 Mana (Now 215)
Doc Loses 20 Mana (Now 100)
Irine Luck Check: 14 (Success), Remainder 1 (- to Agility for intense focus) (-4 To Asterios’s Agility)
Irine Mana Check: 10 (Success), 11 (Crit Success), Remainder 4
Glycon 1 Endurance Check: 15 (Failure)
Glycon 1 Agility Check: 3 (Success), 9 (No Crit), Remainder 9 vs 2 (Success), 7 (Crit Success), Remainder 11
Doc Uses His Active Skill: +3 to Endurance for 3 turns
Asterios Agility Check: 15 (Success)
Asterios Agility Check: 6 (Success), 8 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 9 vs 12 (Success), 16 (No Crit), Remainder 8
Damage Check: 16 (Success), 18 (Crit Success) (2x) Remainder 8 vs 1 (Success), 6 (Crit Success), Remainder 3
Doc Loses 41 Mana (Now 59)
Glycon 2 Agility Check: 7 (Success), 4 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 1 vs 8 (Failure)
Damage Check: 17 (Failure)

Irine’s flames bit at everyone around, friend and foe alike, as Doc and the serpent binding him were both burnt, just like everyone else in the chamber except Irine. However, Irine swiftly got to work shifting this, as she moved the flame dance that covered the whole floor to instead rap around the feet of the minotaur, trying to keep him contained. At the same time, she shifted some of the flames that she had brought with her, carefully manipulating them so that they only burnt the snake, and not the person it was wrapped around.

The flames had their desired effect, as the serpent released Doc, but before he could even get up, the snake struck at him. Fortunately, Doc was able to roll out of the way causing the serpent to jump at the ground where he had been.

With the chaotic situation going on around him, Doc realized it was probably a good time to shore up his defenses. He focused, remembering the dry, clear air of the west, which had served him well in life. Whether his memory was recreating the effects, or it was simply memories of home that stabilized him, he could feel his body being reinforced by the memories.

It was very lucky that Doc did that at that moment, as right after, the minotaur charged at him, ignoring the flames that tracked on his feet even as they moved to keep up with him. He struck out with his axes, and this time, Doc wasn’t fast enough to dodge. One ax slashed into him, digging into his side, and if not for the reinforcement granted by his memory, the damage would have been much worse. As is, he wasn’t in great shape, and the minotaur didn’t seem like he was going to stop any time soon.

Meanwhile, Irine had an easier time with her enemy, as while her intense focus on her fires, including the creation of two new flame orbs, had left her unable to dodge, the serpent that had attacked her again didn’t have the best time of it, as it had tried to attack her tails, and had failed to make any real progress.

Nuada
Nuada Gains 10 Mana (Now 20)
Rama Gains 10 Mana (Now 40)
Nuada Uses his active skill: (+ to Strength and +10 to damage until his next attack)
Rama Agility Check: 19 (Success), 7 (Crit Success) (1.5x), Remainder 9 vs 18 (Success), 4 (Crit Success), Remainder 6
Damage Check: 17 (Success), 14 (No Crit), Remainder 13 vs 1 (Success), 1 (Crit Success), Remainder 10
Nuada Loses 20 Mana (Now Dead)

Nuada focused what little of his mana remained into his sword and arm, strengthening it as he prepared to defend from his opponent’s attacks, and not a moment too soon, as just as he had done so, the orange haired boy swung at him.

The two locked swords, the boy trying to get the last hit that would finish Nuada off, and Nuada trying his best to make sure that didn’t happen. The two stood there for a while, neither giving an inch, but in the end, Nuada had taken too much damage already. Even with the enhancements, his arm gave first, not much, but enough for the boy’s sword to cut through the thin layer keeping his core from shattering.

As soon as that happened, it was over, as Nuada’s body began to fade into golden dust, and the boy's sword passed through the air that Nuada had previously occupied.

Doc: 51 Active skill 6 turns.
Irine: 200
Asclepius: 200
Glycon 1: 100
Glycon 2: 70
Glycon 3: 60
Asterios: 215

Ok, this is back. I'll try to keep on the normal schedule for the break. Also, to note, Lenglon, while I let it go through this turn as I had missed it until I started writing and it was balanced out generally by the cost to your dodge, in the future, your action is kind of 2/3 actions in one. I let it go through since I should have noticed it earlier and given you time to edit it, and I missed that, but I'm just letting you know for future reference.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 13, 2022, 02:40:25 am »

((@ multiple action problem - understood. To my thoughts it was a specific double-action: manipulate pre-existing flames via Soul of Fire, and generate another flame orb, which was a specific combo allowed by flame-orb. I'm guessing the problem is that the manip was too detailed?))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 13, 2022, 10:18:09 am »

((@ multiple action problem - understood. To my thoughts it was a specific double-action: manipulate pre-existing flames via Soul of Fire, and generate another flame orb, which was a specific combo allowed by flame-orb. I'm guessing the problem is that the manip was too detailed?))
Yeah, I’m not sure if I’d count the manipulation as 1 or 2 actions, I’ll admit that the fire manipulation is a bit difficult to classify sometimes, and I think of it was just the manipulation it would have been fine, but I think the flame orb happening at the same time kind of pushed it over the edge.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 13, 2022, 11:30:21 am »

aww.  stupid dice
Gouge out the chainsaw priest's eyes with my thumbs.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 13, 2022, 04:54:54 pm »

Use Irine as a human fox shield, shoot the Minotaur while hiding behind her.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 41