Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 85

Author Topic: FEF: Demon Soul Saga IC Thread: Chapter 3: Hunt for the Eighth God  (Read 70159 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Demon Soul Saga IC Thread: Chapter 1: Bright Moonfall
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2021, 10:30:03 pm »

The pain washed over Mori, like his whole body was being painfully frozen inside a block of ice. He collapsed to the ground, breathing through gritted teeth, eyes screwed shut to the world. His last words before everything fell into blackness...

"So I was right then, Akitsuki was the Akuma. Ha, then I don't have a chance..."

[Now Playing: Inside a Twisted Mind ~~Schizophrenia~~]
The next he was aware of himself, he was standing in a massive hall of mirrors. Looking up and down and to the sides, all he could see was himself, standing at a different angle, in a sea of blackness. He could see his image stretch off into infinity no matter what direction he looked, just a thousand other facets of Mori Sawatari staring back at him.

Then one spoke.

"What do you want anyway?"

The reflection he was closest to started walking towards him, until it started pushing itself out of the mirror, twisting as it did, turning into... Kasuga?

"Do you wish you were like Akihiko? So brave and heroic. He never doubts himself..."

...because he's so naïve as to truly believe in the good in EVERYONE!?!"

"What the hell!" Mori screamed, as the image of Akihiko shifted, his eyes turning into pools of darkness, his face twisted into a grin. And it just started getting closer and closer. Mori stumbled backwards as he tried to get away, his heart beating so loud he could feel it in his head. Finally he felt his back hit something solid, but the twisted thing kept approaching. Desperately, he closed his eyes and swung out, hoping to hit it and...

The moment he made contact, there was a sound like glass shattering. He opened his eyes to see the figure was gone, and shards of broken glass on the floor were dissolving into sand. It was quiet for a moment, before a voice, his voice, spoke up again.

"But you can't be like him. You can't help but look at everyone as a potential tool. Wondering how to use them, what you'd need to say to make them do what you want them to."

"I know that already!" Mori shouted, "I know! I'm a monster! So hurry up and turn me into an akuma and let's get this over with!"

If the voice heard him, it gave no response. The room was silent for a bit, as he took the time to catch his breath and let his heartbeat slow down. Then, something about the mirror he was leaning on seemed to change. It was as if it had become less solid. He flinched back, falling to the ground, as the reflection in that mirror began to walk towards him too.

"Do you wish you were like Saya? She's always willing to help anyone as much as she can..."

"...but it was the helplessness of not being able to help the one she loved most that turned her into a monster."

"Shut up! Just shut up!" He smacked the image of the... the thing Saya had become, and it broke apart into shards of glass. The shards dissolved into sand on the floor.

"And besides, you could never do that. You can't help without wanting something from it. Help from you is just a deal with a devil."

"Stop telling me things I already know!"

"Maybe Mildred then? So blunt, she always tells the truth..."

"...of course, that unfiltered mouth would have ruined her life if she didn't have her father's business to fall back on."

This image didn't even wait for him to hit it. It shattered into glass and sand the moment it finished speaking.

"What's next? You're going to tell me I wish I had Akari's name to fall back on?"

"Your words, not mine. Well, as if there's a difference."

The image shattered, only to be immediately replaced by another one.

"You wouldn't even need to do all this if you had Masaru's work ethic or brains. You could have given your family the life they had before just on your own blood, sweat, and tears."
Shatter

"Kanna's optimism?"
Shatter

"Riku’s ability to care for others?"
Shatter

"Veep's confidence to be himself?"
Shatter

The floor of the room was covered with a layer of sand.

"Who do you wish you could be?"

"Misa?"
Shatter

"Shoji?"
Shatter

"Yui?"
Shatter

"Morimoto?"
Shatter

"Aika?"
Shatter

"Rise?"
Shatter

"Touma?"
Shatter

"Otoya?"
Shatter

"Ayaka?"
Shatter

"Eisuke?"
Shatter

"Hisa?"
Shatter

Futaba?
Shatter

The room was filling up with sand and Mori's heart was beating so loud it echoed through his whole body.

badump
"Shut up."
badump
"Shut up!"
badump

"Show yourself!"

"Haven't I already? I've shown you me a thousand times over."

The room fell apart, the sand disappeared, and every one of the remaining reflections of Mori started walking towards him. He fell back, as all at once, every one of them stepped forward to the same point. Thousands of thousands of Sawatari Moris faded into one figure. The figure was taller than Mori by a head and a half. Broader too, but by how much it was hard to tell. His body was wrapped in a heavy purple trench coat, and he held a curved cane in one hand. On his head he wore a purple top hat, that seemed to shimmer as if it was reflecting light, and on his face was a golden mask, a fusion of the two symbols of theater.

"After all, I'm what you face when you face in the mirror. Long as you live, I will be here."

[Now Playing: The Great Secret of Sawatari Mori ~~Carnivore~~]

His voice was deeper than Mori's. It carried hints of menace, grandeur, sarcasm and darkness.

"What's the point of this?" Mori asked, "I told you, I'm not resisting. I'm already a monster. Turn me into an Akuma!"

"Mori, Mori, Mori..." the figure spoke like he was lecturing a child, "I know what you said, but is that what you want? I can tell you it isn't. After all, I'm you, and you're me, and I want what you want. You may be a monster, but you don't want to be one. In fact, you don't want to be you at all."

"...what?"

"Toppling the world, helping your family, saving others? Those are secondary desires at best. The great secret of Mori Sawatari is that he wants to be anyone else, no matter who, as long as he doesn't have to be Mori Sawatari."

"THAT'S NOT TRUE!"

"Isn't it?" Mori didn't know how, but he could tell that behind his mask, the figure had some kind of mirthless smile on his face. "You could have chosen a thousand different ways to do what you claim you want. You could have worked as hard as possible to make good grades and become a top student, and to become rich yourself one day. You could have run for office, you've certainly got the charisma. You could even marry rich and use the money to help others. But you chose the path that was the most idiotically convoluted. You created an entire fake you, a façade of a whole different person. You know that that was probably the worst option, but it was the only way you could get what you want. You could become someone else, and convince yourself it was for the benefit of other people. How noble."

"SHUT UP!"

"And do you know why that's what you want?" The figure continued "I've been showing you that too. Ever heard the saying 'eye's are a window to the soul'? Of course you have, I wouldn't be able to repeat it if you hadn't. Well, as you can see..."

"No matter who I become, my eyes are pits of empty black to you and me? Get it?"

"Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up."

"And in case you don't grasp the extremely fucking subtle symbolism here, let me spell it out for you. I am thou, thou art I, and we..."

He took off his mask and hat to reveal a mass of pure blackness underneath.

...are empty inside.

Mori could only stare and mutter to himself.
*"It's not true. It's not true. It's not true. It's not true. It's not true..."*

The figure put his mask and hat back on and extended his hand to Mori.

"So I'm giving you exactly what you want. The power to be anyone else, as long as it's someone you're not."

Mori whimpered. He looked into the eyes of the mask. Looked into the pits of infinite blackness that stretched beyond. Could he take the deal? Was he really empty inside? What would he do, if he could escape it? What choice did he have? If he just put on that mask then... then what?

"No."

"No?"

"I can't change who I am inside just by putting on another mask. I'll take your power, I'll take everything you offer, but I know it can't make me more than what I am. Even if I don't want to be, I am Mori Sawatari, and I can't believe I'm as empty as you claim."

He took the figure's hand.

"Tch," the figure replied "And we were so close there. Ok then, for now, you get to play the hero, but when you slip up... well..."

Light began to swallow the world before the figure could finish.

Mori was back in the domain. His breath was shaky, his heart was pounding in his ears, and his body was still so cold. He looked up to see all his classmates were gone. There was a storm of new Kaijin fighting the Onibi, and he realized, with a bit of surprise, that there were no new Akumas. Everyone had overcome, even he had...

But did he really?

He knew what the figure's name was. The shadowy figure that controls everything. The monster with a thousand names that never really loses.

He hadn't won. He'd just bought himself more time.

He looked out at everyone else. Everyone was in combat, and there were no more Onibi open.

"You said I'd play the hero? No, that's wrong." He muttered to himself, "I'll be forever in their shadows. I'll be the dark velvet that makes gems look brighter. I'll be the inky night against which you can see the stars. I'll be their foil. In mine ignorance, their skill shall, like a star i' th' darkest night, stick fiery off indeed."

"I welcome my mask, Fantômas.

He placed his hand over his face and transformed. Darkness enveloped him. He could feel himself fade to nothing as the heavy purple coat formed over him. His shadow shrunk into him and faded away, fusing into the darkness that was hidden under the coat. He felt the wooden cane form in his hands, with a small metal hourglass set into it, and he felt the hat take its place on his head. Lastly, he felt the cold metal mask form over his face. The cold faded from him, but he could feel that it too had just moved, mixing into the darkness. Perhaps that was all he was, just darkness in hiding, waiting to overcome his will and become something monstrous.

As he transformed, he heard the voice again.

"We'll be in touch."

Mori Sawatari may not be an Akuma, but that didn't mean he wasn't a monster.

"Ok, Kasuga. I'll be behind you."
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 11, 2021, 04:58:05 pm »

As Akihiko and the others transform, the hordes of Onibi surrounding the party begin to back off. The floating Akuma clutches her head with her hands, screaming; her voice, though audibly still Saya's, is echoing, a deep growl beneath it, as if two people are speaking with one.

"I'll....help you, Aki-kun. Nobody will ever hurt you ever again. Don't stop me. This power....it's fantastic. Don't you agree? You've transformed like me, right? Fight at my side like always. Aki-kun."

Akihiko alone hears the next message.
Please, help me, Aki-kun. I believe in you. I'm sorry.

The young man, feeling the strength coursing through his body, clenches his fist.
"If you can hear me in there, Saya...I'll do my best."

Scathach pulls back slightly.
"My partner and I will let you take the lead. We'll be here to help, but....it's better you learn yourselves how your powers work. It's different for everyone."
"Don't get yourselves too badly hurt."
"I'll help, too! I'm not as strong, but...I have a few tricks of my own."

"Alright! Everyone, let's do this. Saya needs us! Come on, let's go!"

~~~~Turn 1~~~~
Player Phase
~~Map Theme (Lone Prayer)~~

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map Info (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 12:28:25 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: December 11, 2021, 05:37:55 pm »

Mori looked at the figures standing all around him. They were a strange mix of armored figures, a cat person or something, someone who looked like a mermaid dancer, another one who was kind of too small for him to get a good look at, one who looked kind of like Mildred, if she was an actual demon instead of just metaphorical, and one that was obviously Kasuga since he looked like a Kamen Rider self insert. Most of the others? He tried to guess off their body language, but with the odd mix of new statures and fancy costumes... yeah, he had no idea.

"Right, so, not here to tell you how to Kaijin, since I wouldn't want anyone to walk in and tell me how to manipulate others to my whims," Mori stated, in the casual tone reserved for pretending to be calm when you were about to run, screaming, "but ah... I have no idea who most of you are, and no idea what anyone can do, so... can we fix that before we start running about like a bunch of headless chickens and getting ourselves in even more trouble than we already are? I'll go first, this is Sawatari if you couldn't tell."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 05:44:24 pm by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: December 11, 2021, 05:51:07 pm »

Pixie glances over at the tall-hatted individual as she flutters into the air small gusts of wind curling around her form as she takes flight. "I was Misa... now I'm Pixie. For now at least. As for what I can do... We'll see. I can feel the lightning in my veins though, so I'm sure I'll be able to give a shocking performance." The giggle she lets out at that doesn't really sound like what people would associate with Misa. For one thing, it actually sounds happy for once.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2021, 05:57:40 pm »

"...right" Mori replied, as he took a deep breath.

"Life or death scenario against Kasuga's girlfriend and the chuuni theatre nerd will be the one who has to act sane," Mori stared desperately at Scathach and Gawain, or did as well as he could when his face was made of darkness hidden behind a mask, though he'd gotten pretty good at stuff like this from costume work, "Please don't make me be the practical one. Bad things happen when I have to be the practical one. This is why I have a vice president."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 06:16:59 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2021, 06:50:35 pm »

"The sane thing to do is to get fighting! Introductions later!"
Akihiko yells as he sprints towards one of the Onibi in their way.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2021, 06:59:10 pm »

"I think you mean the opposite, you overgrown, shonen protagonist, Kamen Rider wannabe!" Mori screamed as he reflexively followed behind Akihiko, "You're going to get yourself murdered and then Saya's just going to be even more upset! And then we'll all die because you couldn't keep your head on straight in a crisis!"

Select Akihiko as Guard target.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 07:00:44 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2021, 07:00:38 pm »

"Now, now~.  There's no reason to worry about sanity.  This situation is already pretty insane, I'd say, so it's as good a time as any to act like it."

"If Pixie-chan wants to zap people with her lightning blood or whatever it is she's talking about, let her!"

"Giant red sentai guy- You're Kasuga, right?  Yeah, that's definitely you.  No one else would look like that."

"I don't know about the rest of that stuff, but you were always the closest to Saya-chan.  So lead on!  We're right behind you!"

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2021, 07:19:11 pm »

Scathach side-eyes Mori. Or....well, it seems like she is. With her eyes not visible under her visor, it's hard to tell where she's looking.
"My, my, for someone so self-assured usually, Sawatari, you're so worried now. It's a little cute. You'll figure it out. Your new powers....they'll feel like you've always had them. Which you have, in a way. Don't think, feel."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 07:42:40 pm by IamanElfCollaborator »

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2021, 07:34:52 pm »

"Kasuga has the right of it! Crush them!"
The newly-minted Kaijin charged, shining blade flashing toward one of the onibi with a shout.
F17, Slash Guilty G
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: December 11, 2021, 07:59:59 pm »

"Yeah, I'd love to know how you know what I'm usually like." Mori replied, "And Gawain, you said you knew their weaknesses? Feel free to share with the class."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 08:02:27 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: December 11, 2021, 08:18:52 pm »

"Fire. And blunt force."

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 11, 2021, 08:37:22 pm »

"Uwooo... I can't help you with those." Pixie apologies as she flutters forwards, lightning building around her arms. "I'm more the thunderstorm kind of girl right now. Like so!" Lashing out with a, well, honestly very awkward looking punch, Misa launches a lightning bolt into her target.

J16, Zia Guilty I
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 12, 2021, 05:25:27 am »

"... I have no idea who most of you are, and no idea what anyone can do, so..."

"Mildred here, Sawatari. My Kaijin is Proioxis, and I have total control over the wind. Like so."

Mildred moves to M13 and Tailwinds Guilty F!
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GodofGamingRWBY

• Bay Watcher
  • Writing Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: December 12, 2021, 12:36:11 pm »

"... Shoji. I'm Shoji" the cloaked figure stated in response to Mori's question, head turning slightly to gaze the area they were in before nodding to itself, marching towards the various Akuma surrounding them, all while electricity began to envelop the speared arm.

Shoji moves to K11 and uses Ziana on Despairing Moon B
Just some nerd who thinks they're a half decent writer.
FEF: Marks of Royalty links:
OOC
IC
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 85