Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 71

Author Topic: Risky Ventures: Lazy Fair | Early Spring, Year 3 - New investors always welcome!  (Read 45254 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gods, I should never have invested in a ship, this is all nonsense.
To be fair, this particular situation is more complicated than it needs to be. But, well, yeah, navigating interlocking contracts is part of the game.

It would be helpful for me if you could explain what you expected from this game, if not this. Could help me improve the experience, maybe.
Long Live United Forenia!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile

I played a previous RV, this is exactly what I expected. I don't particularly like this game, but it's not as though I expect it to be something it's not.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I played both games without ever owning a ship. Expectations can be subverted.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile

In that case, the Enterprise cannot sail to Norderland
Nearsouthlands it is. Sorry everyone, except TricMagic, who wanted to actually make money.

Egan_BW, while you're here, can you sign this:
We the undersigned owners of the ship 'Enterprise' agree to add the following amendment to the Ship Contract:
"Any costs associated with travelling of a route shall be borne by all participants in proportion to their share of the ship."
- Aywanez Enterprises
-
-
-
I know it seems like a waste of ink, but Tric might one day sell his shares (or, god forbid, go bankrupt.)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am back at the computer, so I can explain my position better.

Namely, I am fine with giving you charts with payment on return. I am fine with internal disagreement on the ship too, as long as I get paid in the end. Which is the sticking point: to get paid, I need a contract else there is no legally binding agreement among us. On my end, I don't particularly care who I enter this contract with, as long as that person or persons is leasing the rights for that specific ship.  It could be just (for example) a1s signing that, or it could be the entire ship (minus tric I suppose). And if all goes well and the right amount is paid at the end, it won't matter much for either party.

In case money isn't paid however, my options are limited. Ultimately, if I asked the crown to help me collect unpaid debt on individuals who didn't sign the lease the reply will be "tough luck, they didn't sign anything". Hence why I mentioned that the liability would ultimately end up belonging to whoever leases the rights, and in case money doens't flow it will be up to them to collect from other ship mates who weren't part of the lease contract. Legally I can't touch them.

I would advise to add in ship charters some lines about division of travel fares, so that there is some legal lever to internally distribute the cost. Alas, this doesn't seem to be the case right now.
Still, if you want to get the navigator, just sign.

Quote from:  Enterprise chart lease
We, Sharky's financial services as holders of the charts to Nordeland, agree to provide the ship Enterprise represented by the signatory companies with a navigator to guide them to Nordeland for one back and forth journey, at a cost of 1.2 guineas.
This sum is to be paid no later than the date of return of the ship or 2 months beyond the expected date of return in case it is delayed or missing, whichever happens earlier. Stealing the charts of the navigator or otherwise extorting proprietary information is to be considered against this contract and liable to incur a fee of 5 guineas.
-Sharky's financial services
-
-
-

If you want any changes to the contract you can ask, as long as it doesn't involve me trying to exact money from people I cant collect from.

This talk reminds me:
@Flazeo Flazeo Flazeo
We made an informal contract and we already exchanged money and navigator. Since you already paid I have no fear on that side and I trust you to uphold the terms, but perhaps we should put the agreement on paper.

Quote from: Woolritter chart lease
We, Sharky's financial services as holders of the charts to Nordeland, agree to provide the ship Woolritter represented by Wilco Ventures with a navigator to guide them to Nordeland for one back and forth journey, at a cost of 0.6 guineas.
This sum is already paid by the time of signing.
Stealing the charts of the navigator or otherwise extorting proprietary information is to be considered against this contract and liable to incur a fee of 5 guineas.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 12:50:27 pm by andrea »

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile

Quote from: VVT stock rebuying contract
Aywanez Enterprises agrees to sell Vixen Volume Trading shares back to Vixen Volume Trading for no more than 0.3Gn a share at a time of Vixen Volume Trading's choosing, but not before Aywanez Enterprises earns at least 4Gn of income from Vixen Volume Trading.
In exchange Vixen Volume Trading agrees not to donate money to the crown or transfer it to other players or sign contracts with other players without Aywanez Enterprises' approval. Ship buying contacts shall be specifically exempt from this limitation.
The preceding clause becomes void immediately once Aywanez Enterprises no longer holds shares of Vixen Volume Trading.
This contract may be modified or dissolved only by agreement of both parties
- Aywanez Enterprises
- Vixen Volume Trading

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile

We, Sharky's financial services as holders of the charts to Nordeland, agree to provide the ship Woolritter represented by Wilco Ventures with a navigator to guide them to Nordeland for one back and forth journey, at a cost of 0.6 guineas.
Stealing the charts of the navigator or otherwise extorting proprietary information is to be considered against this contract and liable to incur a fee of 5 guineas.
-Wilco Ventures
-

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-Wilco Ventures
-Sharky's financial ventures

If only all deals were so easy

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This turn's gone on long enough.
Late Autumn, Y1
TURNTURNTURN
Spoiler: Actions processed (click to show/hide)

Two newly minted ships leave the shipyards this month, the Enterprise and the Woolritter. The Woolritter heads north. The owners of the Enterprise argue for a while before one of them storms off, and the ship heads south with the Warrick and Nsailor.

Good gods but that is a lot of sand, at least after last month's drought. The Market is almost literally flooded, as inland warehouses are filled to the brim. Brokers are really quite annoyed at having been denied any last month, but they are honour-bound to pay the rates promised to all comers. The price subsequently declines precipitously.
[33 Sand Sold]

Speaking of the sand market, the Crown responds to last month's petition with an official statement, encouraging ship owners to be responsible when considering their impact on the Market. No actual consequences are levied, but the tone implies that consequences could be levied. So watch out. On a lighter note, the statement also mentions that to avoid future misunderstandings, the Crown is now accepting petitions from anyone who has earned its favour. No topic is off limits, although obviously the Crown is not going to grant every petition, it will at least be considered as an acknowledgement of prior services.

Ms Dorothy Horsegame (Dotty to her friends), upon her ship the Spotted Squid, is somewhat reluctantly at your service. Scion of the esteemed Horsegame merchant family (a family whose fortunes are solely in local commerce, not exotic trade routes), Dotty is considered a desirable, albeit somewhat unusual marriage partner. As a result, she tends to have suitors hounding her all hours of the day- whereas she would rather just, like, relax. In order to escape her current life, she wishes to undertake a journey into the unknown. Whilst she's at it, she might as well produce charts to wherever she ends up. And then, I suppose, return to share those charts with the world. If she has to. Ugh, people always want something, don't they?
She'll be leaving shortly before the Year's End Ball, and is seeking donations to outfit her vessel until that time. Unlike Odysseus, Dotty has no intention of offering exclusive charts, mainly because that sounds like a hassle. She just wants money to outfit her ship for a voyage to... I dunno, wherever the donors want. North, south, east, west- it's all the same to her. There's probably something out there in all four directions. Just vote on a direction when you donate. 
The Crown makes it known that it approves of Ms Horsegame's expedition, and will acknowledge any donations as being made with the common good in mind.

The auction for the title "Baron of the Nearsouthlands" concludes. The CEO of Powder and Partner is invited to the Royal Court, where they are presented with a very prestigious purple sash (the colour of which will wash out in the rain, so be careful with it) and a gold medal (which on closer inspection is wood painted with shiny yellow paint)- but more importantly, the Queen taps them on the shoulder with a sword and pronounces them Baron. There is a notable lack of applause from the audience, which consists mostly of people who earned their noble title the conventional way (ie being born to a family whose ancestors committed mass murder).
After the ceremony, a servant presents the new Baron with a briefing on the Nearsouthlands, the contents of which are top secret, acquired by Royal agents and transmitted to the Motherlands by Spire Pigeon (a rare breed of bird that only the Crown has access to).
[Powder and Partner receives the title "Baron of the Nearsouthlands". Intel is sent via PM]

In yet more news, I swear I'm almost done, both the Bathtub Corsairs and Sharky's Financial Services receive a letter from the Crown thanking them for their creation of comprehensive lists of companies and their owners.
[Bathtub Corsairs and Sharky's Financial Services receive 1 Royal Favour. The lists are linked to from the bottom of the OP. Two lists will suffice, so don't expect to get Favour by making your own]

The Clarisse returns.

PRICES
Sand   - 0.35 Guineas per unit (-0.08)
Wool   - 0.85 Guineas per unit (+0)
Ships  - 10 Guineas each (+0)

DESTINATIONS
Nearsouthlands - 2 Month round trip, yields Sand | Public charts
Norderland     - 3 Month round trip, yields Wool | Exclusive charts

SHIPS
Clarisse               - Returned end of Late Autumn Y1 with 10 units of Sand. Intending to depart for Nearsouthlands in beginning Early Winter Y1
Warrick                - Departed for Nearsouthlands in beginning Late Autumn Y1, expected to return end of Early Winter Y1 
Nearsouth Nsailor      - Departed for Nearsouthlands in beginning Late Autumn Y1, expected to return end of Early Winter Y1 
Enterprise             - Departed for Nearsouthlands in beginning Late Autumn Y1, expected to return end of Early Winter Y1
Woolritter             - Departed for Norderland in beginning Late Autumn Y1, expected to return end of Mid Winter Y1

OTHER OFFERINGS
Dorothy Horsegame, Explorer: Seeks donations and direction votes. 3 turns remaining.

NEW MECHANIC: Royal Requests. You can now submit petitions to the Crown, asking it to do... well, anything you can think of, although it can't/won't grant more outlandish requests, and significant requests may require the expenditure of vast quantities of Royal Favour. Examples of things you might ask for are reduced/increased taxes on [resource], a prestigious title, implementing some sort of law, etc. Or, again, anything else.
  -To be able to submit a petition, you must have at least 1 Royal Favour available, which is spent just to get the request considered.
    -Remember, Royal Favour is granted in return for services to the Crown, which includes donations (the exact exchange rate varies from turn to turn (and is not made public ahead of time)). Also remember that you can not trade Royal Favour.
  -A petition should be contained within a quote box, titled "ACTACTACT: Petition" (or similar).
  -The petition will be considered by the Crown, and a response given when the turn is processed.
   -Minor requests may be granted then and there
   -More significant requests will have an extra price tag (usually more Royal Favour)
   -Ludicrous requests will be denied outright
   -Impossible requests will be denied and the Favour spent refunded

RULING: I was asked to arbitrate in the dispute between TricMagic and the other Enterprise shareholders. The controversy was whether Tric could withdraw from the contract after signing it but before the turn was processed. Answer: No, once you have signed a contract, you cannot withdraw from it without the consent of the other parties (unless the contract specifically allows unilateral withdrawal). See this post for details.
Long Live United Forenia!

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

I have received information about the Warrick. If you would like to know what this information is, I can privately deliver this for a price of 0.5 guineas (depending on the contents of the message, I may refund some of this as a general policy after a short delay, as I'm not quite looking to fleece people, in this way, yet). This can be in any combination of money provided by the shareholders of the ship, or by an individual - I will deliver information accordingly.

Spoiler: Powder and Partner (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 02:58:04 pm by Powder Miner »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

I have received information about the Warrick. If you would like to know what this information is, I can privately deliver this for a price of 0.5 guineas (depending on the contents of the message, I may refund some of this as a general policy after a short delay, as I'm not quite looking to fleece people, in this way, yet). This can be in any combination of money provided by the shareholders of the ship, or by an individual - I will deliver information accordingly.

I'll pay you a backrub for the information

Spoiler: Happy Crab (click to show/hide)

ACTACTACT: sell three sand.

I am looking to purchase shares of the Clarisse, if anyone is interested in selling.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:03:08 pm by evictedSaint »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ACTACTACT: Take Sand, Sell Sand. 1.05 Guineas Get.

As the destination never changed, the loan to Kitten doesn't need to go through.

My Enterprise Shares are going for .67 Guineas. Buy all three and get .1 off.(2 Guineas total.) A good deal, yes?
Clarisse Shareholders can see us about buying my Clarisse shares for 1 Guineas each. All 3 must go.
Andrea, I'd like a loan drawn up for 4.42 Guineas.

Spoiler: Bathtub Corsairs (click to show/hide)

Ninja. Anyway.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:03:46 pm by TricMagic »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

Sign this please, Tric.

Quote from: sale of Clarisse ship shares
Effective immediately, Bathtub Corsairs transfers ownership of 3 shares of the Clarisse to Happy Crab LLC. 

In turn, Happy Crab LLC transfers 3gn to Bathtub Corsairs.

-Happy Crab LLC (evictedSaint)
-

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile

VVT is interested in purchasing 3 shares of the enterprise from BC, predicated upon Approval of a1s.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sign this please, Tric.

Quote from: sale of Clarisse ship shares
Effective immediately, Bathtub Corsairs transfers ownership of 3 shares of the Clarisse to Happy Crab LLC. 

In turn, Happy Crab LLC transfers 3gn to Bathtub Corsairs.

-Happy Crab LLC (evictedSaint)
-

Would you be interested in shares for the Enterprise as well? Those and the Clarisse Shares for 4.94 Guineas.

Never mind I suppose. I'll be signing once the other two deals are worked out though. Loan from Andrea, selling the other stock of shares, and this should get me a ship.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 03:09:53 pm by TricMagic »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 71