Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71

Author Topic: Risky Ventures: Lazy Fair | Early Spring, Year 3 - New investors always welcome!  (Read 44838 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RISKY VENTURES!
Lazy Fair version

Raise the anchor and hoist the sails! 'tis time to engage in RISKY VENTURES!

The glorious Motherlands have just realised that, despite their self-evident superiority over everyone else, all the good stuff- sugar, spice, precious metals- somehow wound up in the hands of a bunch of primitive savages. Injustice! Unfortunately, despite the obvious military superiority of the Motherlands, the Crown is not in a position to take these things by force.
Fortunately, we have a plan: to trade worthless baubles for the stuff, then re-sell it in the Motherlands for vast profits.

A problem presents itself! The primitive savages live way aways. Across the seas. Across oceans! It's a dangerous voyage to those faraway lands. Barges and cogs will not make the voyage intact. We'll need fancy new-fangled ships to make the journey. Expensive ships. Ships which even the richest of us cannot afford alone. We will need to pool our resources to afford them.

Once we have a ship, we can send it on a journey. Where to? Somewhere we know about. Currently, our cartographers are a little bit hazy on this. The only place other than the Motherlands they know of is the Nearsouthlands. Nothing wrong with that! The Nearsouthlands are rich in sand- precious, precious sand. And it's only a two-month round trip!
Word has it, though, that there are other places to be visited- places where even more valuable resources can be harvested-, though the journey may be longer and more hazardous. Brave explorers are looking for wealthy patrons to fund their expeditions to look for these lands- as time passes, new locations may emerge.

With a ship and a destination, the venture can begin. The ship sets off on a risky voyage, and hopefully returns in a few months time, filled to the brim with valuables. These can be sold in the markets of the Motherlands, bringing in big profits and funding more voyages.

And then we fill bathtubs with coins and swim around in them. Or something. I dunno.

Preamble over. The game is as follows:
Anyone can join (at any time!). You will posses three guineas and nothing else.
You can buy ships for ten guineas.
Ships can be sent on journeys to a location of choice. A successful journey will yield ten units of that location's resource.
Ships may sink or be damaged during a voyage.
Resources can be sold at the market. Prices fluctuate. Edit: the price of Sand at the start of the game is 0.5g per unit.
New locations and other actions will be unlocked as the game progresses. Funding voyages of exploration, and performing services for the Motherlands may hasten this.

I will (try to) update the thread regularly with news of returning ships, changing market prices, and other events. Each update corresponds to a month of in-game time.

Anyone may join at any time. Players are expected to keep track of their own resources, like so:

Code: [Select]
[spoiler=Example Company]
Assets:
4 Guineas
3 units of Sand
5 shares in the Floundering Carp

Other:
2 Royal Favour
1 Pointless But Prestigious Trinket
[/spoiler]

This has been attempted before: see this thread for the most successful attempt. Kashyyk ran into trouble, however, trying to keep track of all the myriad contracts and financial instruments that arose.
I will be running this game as I originally intended it to work: Lazy Fair (Laissez Faire). I will deal with ships departing and returning, market prices, NPC actions, and nothing else. This means that I will not be keeping track of contracts for you, or your assets- I trust you to be honest about them, and not summon Guineas out of thin air (if a player does cheat, let me know, and I'll look into it and deal with them if necessary). If you have a disagreement, you may request my arbitration only as a last resort- I'd vastly prefer it if you sorted it out amongst yourselves.

To get my attention, type "ACTACTACT:[your action]" in bold. You may also ask me questions in bold. Do not use the word ACTACTACT for non-actions.
Edit: Things like confirming you are putting your money into a contract, and other player-player interactions are not actions that I need to know about. It is good to make it clear what you are doing for record-keeping purposes, but ACTACTACT is only for things that I need to deal with in order to process the turn.
Edit2: I changed my mind about selling to the market. It will need to be tagged with ACTACTACT.

Updates have the word TURNTURNTURN (in invisible text) in them, so you can easily find them using the thread search.
This is useful if you encounter a mechanic you don't understand, as each mechanic is explained in the turn where it is introduced.

Spoiler: FAQ (click to show/hide)

In case you want to know who has already joined and what they're up to, here is a link to a (player-maintained) list of companies and other stuff.
And another: A google doc spreadsheet with a whole bunch of useful info.

Also, if you want to banter about the game, here's a Discord server for that purpose.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 03:26:58 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 11:25:40 pm »

Blue Fish Enterprises incorporates, and proposes the following contract to the other Motherlands traders.

Quote from: Ship Contract
We, the undersigned private entities, agree to purchase the ship 'Clarisse' to sail the route between the Motherlands and the Nearsouthlands until the ship has sunk or it has been chosen otherwise. Percent shares will be given out to all investors proportional to how much they have invested into the vessel. They can be sold or given away at any time. These shares entitle the holder to a percentage of the Clarisse's cargo as much as the amount of shares that are owned. Owning shares will also obligate the owner to pay at least that percentage of all repair costs necessary. Any executive decisions of the ship, such as changes to the name or destination, require the owners of at least 60% of all shares of the Clarisse. Any modification to this contract requires all shareholders of the Clarisse to be in agreement.

Spoiler: Blue Fish Enterprises (click to show/hide)
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 11:50:29 pm »

We, the undersigned private entities, agree to purchase the ship 'Clarisse' to sail the route between the Motherlands and the Nearsouthlands until the ship has sunk or it has been chosen otherwise. Percent shares will be given out to all investors proportional to how much they have invested into the vessel. They can be sold or given away at any time. These shares entitle the holder to a percentage of the Clarisse's cargo as much as the amount of shares that are owned. Owning shares will also obligate the owner to pay at least that percentage of all repair costs necessary. Any executive decisions of the ship, such as changes to the name or destination, require the owners of at least 60% of all shares of the Clarisse. Any modification to this contract requires all shareholders of the Clarisse to be in agreement.

-Wilco Ventures - 2 Guineas

Wilco Ventures, agrees to terms of the ship contract for the ship  'Clarisse' and will pay 2 guineas into it. We looks forward other investors to sign up.

Spoiler:  Willco Ventures (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 11:54:00 pm by flazeo25 »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 12:03:16 am »

Blue Fish Enterprises will also contribute 2 Guineas to the purchasing of the Clarisse.

-Blue Fish Enterprises - 2 Guineas

Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2021, 12:27:11 am »

While Budget Air Transport was originally looking to spend it’s funds on a new passenger trebuchet service between the capital city and the next town over, the airline recognizes that investment in the above proposed “sea-based” venture will put the airline in a better position to erect a freight trebuchet in the Nearsouthlands.  Therefore, Budget Air Transport is willing to agree to the above contract and will pay 2 Guineas into it.

-Budget Air Transport - 2 Guineas

Spoiler: Budget Air Transport (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 04:21:57 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 02:12:13 am »

Will read the contracts later, just joining for now.
Spoiler: Rock's Firm (click to show/hide)
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2021, 12:29:58 pm »

-Happy Crab LLC - 3 Guineas

Spoiler: Happy Crab LLC (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures: Lazy Fair
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2021, 01:26:54 pm »

"ACTACTACT:[Lookin for suckers, er.. Investors. 7 Guineas loan needed.]"
Cast about for any (NPCs) willing to go into business and support our first business venture. Gold and riches can be yours, all you need is to sign a Seashare Contract and work out the split of the initial profits.  Benefits include a tour of the offices and a Plaque noting you as one of the initial investors, as well as preferred dealings in the future should you ever need anything. Office Tours and Plaque to be made in the future.

Spoiler: Bathtub Corsairs (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 01:29:39 pm by TricMagic »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2021, 01:34:36 pm »

"ACTACTACT:[Lookin for suckers, er.. Investors. 7 Guineas loan needed.]"
Cast about for any (NPCs) willing to go into business and support our first business venture. Gold and riches can be yours, all you need is to sign a Seashare Contract and work out the split of the initial profits.  Benefits include a tour of the offices and a Plaque noting you as one of the initial investors, as well as preferred dealings in the future should you ever need anything. Office Tours and Plaque to be made in the future.
You cast about for NPC investors, then realise that basically everyone with the money and desire to invest in these things are players. There may be Crown loans available at some point in the future, but at the moment the only source of cash is other players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2021, 02:09:11 pm »

Bathtub Corsairs formally invites Budget Air Transportation and Rock's Firm to hash out a beginning venture at the Black Rook.(A pub) And pirates the contract from another group.
"ACTACTACT:[Checks the viability of a 1 Guinea loan from the Crown if all three firms were to pool their 3 into 9.]"

We, the three undersigned private entities, agree to purchase the ship 'Marrisa' to sail the route between the Motherlands and the Nearsouthlands until the ship has sunk or it has been chosen otherwise. Percent shares will be given out to all investors proportional to how much they have invested into the vessel. They can be sold or given away at any time to the undersigned parties. These shares entitle the holder to a percentage of the Clarisse's cargo as much as the amount of shares that are owned. Owning shares will also obligate the owner to pay at least that percentage of all repair costs necessary. Any executive decisions of the ship, such as changes to the name or destination, require the owners of at least 66% of all shares of the Clarisse. Any modification to this contract requires all shareholders of the Marrisa to be in agreement. Should the ship be sunk or sold all parties' contractual requirements will be dissolved.

Signed,
-Bathtub Corsairs
-
-

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2021, 02:12:28 pm »

Bathtub Corsairs formally invites Budget Air Transportation and Rock's Firm to hash out a beginning venture at the Black Rook.(A pub) And pirates the contract from another group.
"ACTACTACT:[Checks the viability of a 1 Guinea loan from the Crown if all three firms were to pool their 3 into 9.]"
What did I just say? No. Players are currently the only source of cash.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2021, 02:32:57 pm »

... *Not much way to actually do anything then.* Ignore my last post then.

The Bathtub Corsairs, hearing of a deal in the works, comes in to sign the contract as a shareholder.

-Happy Crab LLC - 3 Guineas
-Bathtub Corsairs - 3 Guineas

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2021, 02:46:20 pm »

As the new merchant class emerges and seeks to buy ships and goods, ships are the most precious thing ever. Second to that, however, is the cash needed to buy them.

But don't worry, you enterprising people seeking to start an honest profitable business. The local wealthy has heard your pleas and is willing to relieve you of all your cash flow worries - for a tiny, tiny interest rate. I hereby found, Sharky's financial services corporation, with the goal of providing financial services to themerchants allowing the economy to run well greased at full speed.

I shall provide loans, as well as accept deposits from other players.
I propose 2 possible drafts for contract, one for loan one for deposit. But as people who have done business with me know, I can be very flexible with the terms. Just contact me if you are interested.

Quote from: loan
We, the undersigned Sharky financial services, agree to transfer X guineas to the undersigned company, Y.
This amount will incur into a monthly interest of 10% of the initial sum. The initial sum will need to be repaid in full after 6 month. Failure to pay interests or to provide the full initial sum at the end will cause expropriation of assets for at least equal value.
In consideration of the cyclical nature of trade, it is agreed that interest payments can be suspended for up to 3 months. The amount due will still need to be paid either immediately or spread across the rest of the loan. No further suspension can be awarded until there is no longer outstanding suspended interest.

Signed:

Quote from: deposit
We, the undersigned Sharky financial services, agree to receive X guineas to the undersigned company, Y.
This amount will incur into a monthly interest of 5% of the initial sum. The initial sum will need to be repaid in full after 6 month. Failure to pay interests or to provide the full initial sum at the end will cause expropriation of assets for at least equal value.
In consideration of the cyclical nature of trade, it is agreed that interest payments can be suspended for up to 3 months. The amount due will still need to be released either immediately or spread across the remaining duration of the contract. No further suspension can be awarded until there is no longer outstanding suspended interest.

Signed:

edit: by the way, any idea of how much sand is worth?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2021, 02:52:03 pm »

edit: by the way, any idea of how much sand is worth?
You didn't bold this, but I'll answer anyway since I probably should've included this information in the OP.
Sand is currently worth 0.5g per unit. Prices may change over time.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 03:10:38 pm »

I have been approached for more flexible investment terms, allowing early withdrawal. To that end, I would consider both a lower interest or a fee (such as losing accrued interest). Such unfortunately less advantageous terms are necessary to compensate me for the need to keep reserves, which limits the ways I can invest the money.

I would offer more favorable terms if a minimum period can be put in the contract.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 71