Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - D1 - Bloodless Town Victory  (Read 19316 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - D1 - 1 Replacement needed
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2021, 03:07:14 pm »

Mostly the point any plans I had on Medium-ing secretly went out the window with this plan. I started poking as many holes into it as I could because it has workarounds that are obvious enough to see. Flowermaidens could for example dope to bypass the shield. I should know given I would have liked that role from the start. As is any longterm plans I had have been completely disrupted by this. On the bright side, that should apply to mafia as well, up till they use teamwork to get around it.
OK, can anyone reasonably say that this ISN'T hat-lynching Town Tric from the last BYOR?
I can't tell which is why I'm not voting them.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2021, 03:10:51 pm »

Mostly the point any plans I had on Medium-ing secretly went out the window with this plan. I started poking as many holes into it as I could because it has workarounds that are obvious enough to see. Flowermaidens could for example dope to bypass the shield. I should know given I would have liked that role from the start. As is any longterm plans I had have been completely disrupted by this. On the bright side, that should apply to mafia as well, up till they use teamwork to get around it.

OK, can anyone reasonably say that this ISN'T hat-lynching Town Tric from the last BYOR?
No idea. Just doesn't speak to me.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2021, 03:11:43 pm »

TricMagic I would feel better about you if you had more to say about this alternative "Medium-ing secretly". Anything you care tell me for starters, no use keeping it in if you can't do it any more.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2021, 03:40:12 pm »

Voting someone just because they're replacing out doesn't sit right to me.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2021, 03:41:53 pm »

Okay.

My situation: Texas cold snap makes attempts to get internet super fucky. Posting from phone is torture, so basically I have to use my phone to make a Wifi hotspot and then use my laptop from that. I'll still try to participate in the game, but it's going to be slower activity than my usual style. Power is currently not on, so I'm on battery power and such.

The game situation: Toony proposes a Master Plan. A lot of people support the plan. A few people are against the plan.

It's obviously not perfect. I can agree with that much. Flaws can mess with it. There are ways to kill that go around shields.

But it doesn't have to be perfect. It just has to be good enough. And with the number of players that've bought into it, it's good enough. Mass distribution of shields will mess with the mafiakill, surveyor and monk development will make the mafia's lives into hell...

I'm perfectly willing to go along with it myself, because it's good.

People are saying I should be lynched. If that's based on something about me actually acting scummy, great. Vote me if you want. If that's based on me not being active as I usually am, then don't bother lynching me. The cold snap will clear up eventually and I'll be back to my usual activity levels.

I'd consider replacing out, but I know that it's very hard to get replacements these days, and the game will last much longer than this cold snap will.

Peace, folks.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2021, 03:51:10 pm »

Oh shoot, man. Best of luck.

Voting someone just because they're replacing out doesn't sit right to me.
Uh, okay. Do you think they are Town, then?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2021, 03:53:48 pm »

Thanks for update, FoU. Wishing you the best. Didn't know you were in TX!

For clarity -- I didn't like your opener, but if you're on the scumteam, let's just say that there are two others also there, so we might as well try to find them. It's not an inactivity vote and I would much rather wait until we get more information about you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2021, 04:01:58 pm »

Sure, why not.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2021, 04:24:45 pm »

Sure, why not.
Mind explaining why? For clarity.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2021, 04:33:43 pm »

I'll note I came to play a game of mafia. Not this hope and pray style where you either get in line or die.

I'll leave this up to any Replacements. This type of play is not my cup of tea. It's sooo boring. If I wanted that, I'd just read a history book.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - D1 - 2 Replacements needed
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2021, 04:49:30 pm »

I'll leave this up to any Replacements. This type of play is not my cup of tea. It's sooo boring. If I wanted that, I'd just read a history book.
Is it? From what I can tell Day 2 is going to be very interesting. As will the remaining Days and Nights.

If I was mafia I would be thinking about every way I could screw with town's plans. It would be a blast to outwit them, just sayin'.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2021, 04:50:41 pm »

Sorry to hear that Tric. If you change your mind, the position is still open.

In case anyone's wondering this is my policy on replacements:

Until they're replaced (if they are), I'll run them as dummy players (like the patsies in CYOM2 and 3). That means if they're town I'll pick random level ups and random targets, and if they're scum I'll let their team mates pull the strings behind the scenes. Every day I'll pick a random vote for them (which, if mafia, the mafia team can optionally decide). This is obviously pro-mafia, pro-chaos, and I think that's for the best.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2021, 05:04:54 pm »

Town have no reason to replace out unless they legitimately can't play (medical emergency, no internet, etc.)

1. It only hurts the chances of their team winning (unlike mafia where it actually benefits them).
2. They aren't playing to their wincon.

So thanks guy, please play if you're town and are just refusing to play because you think I'm dumb.

Vote me if you think I'm dumb instead of replacing out. I'm okay with adjusting The Plan for my elimination as well. I'm not forcing anybody to do anything, most people are agreeing with the Night 1 plan.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2021, 05:10:29 pm »

I'll note I came to play a game of mafia. Not this hope and pray style where you either get in line or die.

Uh, I mean, I'm sorta there with you, but... Eh, whatever. Not my place to tell you what to do.

Is it? From what I can tell Day 2 is going to be very interesting. As will the remaining Days and Nights.

If I was mafia I would be thinking about every way I could screw with town's plans. It would be a blast to outwit them, just sayin'.
I understand that approach, but it's certainly less Mafia-y and more like Paranoia, and if you signed up for a Mafia game, you kinda expect people to try and find Mafia.

Sorry to hear that Tric. If you change your mind, the position is still open.

In case anyone's wondering this is my policy on replacements:

Until they're replaced (if they are), I'll run them as dummy players (like the patsies in CYOM2 and 3). That means if they're town I'll pick random level ups and random targets, and if they're scum I'll let their team mates pull the strings behind the scenes. Every day I'll pick a random vote for them (which, if mafia, the mafia team can optionally decide). This is obviously pro-mafia, pro-chaos, and I think that's for the best.
... I disagree with this stance immensely, except that it does something to stop the stalemate ToonyMan is attempting to create.

But, it does force the hand a bit to vote TricMagic

Town have no reason to replace out unless they legitimately can't play (medical emergency, no internet, etc.)

1. It only hurts the chances of their team winning (unlike mafia where it actually benefits them).
2. They aren't playing to their wincon.

So thanks guy, please play if you're town and are just refusing to play because you think I'm dumb.

Vote me if you think I'm dumb instead of replacing out. I'm okay with adjusting The Plan for my elimination as well. I'm not forcing anybody to do anything, most people are agreeing with the Night 1 plan.
I mean, fair, but like, the point of the game-breaking stage was to avoid stuff like this. I still don't believe it's broken, but I'm in agreement in spirit with the complaints. I'm at least glad we're voting for people.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Choose-Your-Own-Mafia 4 - D1
« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2021, 05:13:27 pm »

Some of the guildsmen stared off vacantly as the time wended towards the halfway point. Would a group decision be made before it would be forced?

Official Vote Count
------------------------
Caz - 0 -
Egan_BW - 1 - ToonyMan
FallacyofUrist
Jim Groovester - 0 -
Juicebox - 0 -
LuckyOwl - 0 -
mightymushroom - 1 - Nirur Torir*,
Nirur Torir - 0 -
Secretdorf - 0 -
Toaster - 0 -