Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Hexahood (Gridhood, but hexa.) Turn 7  (Read 8565 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hexahood
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2020, 08:12:36 pm »

The Plain Humans change their color to <<beige>>, so it's not fully invisible on the default theme.

The elder worries about over-foraging. After much discussion, they decide to hope that Phlattus is merciful, and focus everything they have on learning to live in Phlattus's plains. They decide that they'll be fine, and should pray.

2x forage for food on B4t
2x forage for food on B3t
2x forage for food on C4t
2x forage for food on B4u
4x pray to Phlattus, sacrificing all excess food.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:18:08 pm by Nirur Torir »

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hexahood (Gridhood, but hexa.)
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2020, 08:38:31 pm »

Apparently there is much weirdness in this Gridhood beyond the triangular hexa-hoodish map theme.  Such as, 2 praying workers only making 1 fp, food spoilage, and very low foraging yields per worker.  I hope the GM has put sufficient thought into how this will impact civ development.

Phlattus expends one faith power to rain 6 food in the form of loaves of Wonderbread on triangle-tile B4t!  Never mind!  The mortals aren't hungry!  Phlattus twiddles his thumbs!

Let it be known that if Phlattus can accumulate more than 5 power so that He can make a fertile tile without destroying himself, he will make it so!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 08:52:44 pm by Zazmio »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2020, 08:40:18 pm »

I'll give you some prayer, but please don't feed me right now.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2020, 08:54:03 pm »

As you wish!

It's not clear if I will end up destroying myself if I expend 5 power, even with someone praying... so I will err on the side of caution this turn.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2020, 02:10:42 am »

Quick question before I join up: can civs only forage on adjacent tiles, and if so is adjacency across edges or vertices (for example, are F7s and F8t adjacent or not?)?
Edges only. Every tile is adjacent to three other tiles.

At this point, you can expect to forage successfully, without losing anyone, only in tiles immediately adjacent to your own. This is because each tile represents a substantial area. You should probably encourage your gods to create tiles adjacent to yours, and tiles adjacent to those too!

I also don't mind telling you all that, on average, the correct number of population to set to foraging right now is 8, because each population produces roughly 1.5 food when foraging in pristine land. This is why, though, you also have a turn's grace period before anyone dies: if you have a bad turn, it might be a good idea to set more population to foraging afterward. You will also find that starving people try harder to find food. Still, even with that, it's not easy out there for a tribe, which is what the gods are there for... and there may be other benefits to relying on a god's largesse, even if it makes people complacent about foraging. Lastly, as a note for the worried, as long as there is food to be found in a tile, foragers will always be able to feed at least themselves.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2020, 04:13:23 am »

One more question: if I opt to sacrifice to a divinity, what am I sacrificing?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2020, 04:43:05 am »

One more question: if I opt to sacrifice to a divinity, what am I sacrificing?
You can sacrifice any resource you have. (Including population if you're into that.)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2020, 04:50:58 am »

Alright then. My civilisation will be the Retha, who are semiaquatic 1.2m tall rodents who will live in F8t and start off with the following actions:

3x forage in F8t
3x forage in F7t
3x forage in F8u
3x research foraging technique

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2020, 08:26:14 am »

How much power to make a tile more fertile? How much power to alter or remake a tile?

Right now it seems a Kelp Forest would be best. Plenty of kelp to harvest for food.

How do gods learn to do new things?

Ponder the costs of modifying tiles to be more beneficial.

Note: the tile is the only empty edge on the Open Ocean tile. Creates a Kelp Forest/Beach/Wetland Triangle with Open Ocean in the middle.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:09:05 pm by TricMagic »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2020, 09:48:15 am »

Morbus continues to make land

Make a swampier wet land on E8u

Make a wet land on E7t

Make a volcano on C5t

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2020, 01:43:15 pm »

Morbus continues to make land

Make a swampier wet land on E8u

Make a wet land on E7t

Make a volcano on C5t

(You can still refer to it as 'swamp', describing it that way was just a private joke for me. :P)
How much power to make a tile more fertile? How much power to alter or remake a tile?
6 power to boost the fertility of a tile by one level (permanently) has been added to the OP.
You don't know yet how to alter or remake a tile!
How do gods learn to do new things?
Sometimes by trying, as well as passively as the map fills in and gods gain more power.

ETA: At this juncture, though, it is probably easier to place new terrains close to your tribes with high natural fertility.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 01:44:53 pm by Maximum Spin »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2020, 02:17:05 pm »

I also don't mind telling you all that, on average, the correct number of population to set to foraging right now is 8, because each population produces roughly 1.5 food when foraging in pristine land. This is why, though, you also have a turn's grace period before anyone dies: if you have a bad turn, it might be a good idea to set more population to foraging afterward. You will also find that starving people try harder to find food. Still, even with that, it's not easy out there for a tribe, which is what the gods are there for... and there may be other benefits to relying on a god's largesse, even if it makes people complacent about foraging.
8 foragers, or 4 worshipers, for the same food, but the cheaper option is more reliable.
It should be interesting to see the differences between civs sticking to their mortal roots, and those empowering themselves with divine feedback loops.

And I'm going to change my action one more time.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2020, 03:17:19 pm »

Cait Sith: "I am a gracious god for the first to acknowledge me. You may be fish, but you are also cats."

Create at F5r: Kelp Forest: Lots of kelp to gather and eat.

Create at F5q: Coral Reef: A stone analogue for water-dwellers, there should be plenty of life to hunt.

Create at E5r: Estuary: Like the beach, a connecttion between the land and the sea. Or in this case, connection between the Wetland and Ocean. All is in balance, and the nutrients should serve well.

"A good variety, and you should have no trouble reaching them, hopefully. Just follow the coastline and pray. And sacrifice if you do well, though Prayer will do just fine."

Had I thought someone would take the ocean, I could have made that section a Seagrass Meadow. All very real biomes for an ocean.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:20:39 pm by TricMagic »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2020, 05:26:33 pm »

A congregation of Platipeople suddenly gains sentience on C3s. A disagreement breaks out between 2 prospective shamans who challenge each other to a god-off.

1 platiperson forages C4s
1 platiperson forages C3s
1 platiperson forages C4s
1 platiperson forages C3r
2 platipeople worship Phlattus, as it is plainly evident he is the best god who will bring the best boon.
2 platipeople worship Cait Sith, as they believe their desires might be granted through magic.
4 platipleople research hunting tools.
I'm doing this now.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2020, 06:27:01 pm »

That's not enough foragers. Someone throw bread at these people.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12