Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Hexahood (Gridhood, but hexa.) Turn 7  (Read 8532 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Hexahood (Gridhood, but hexa.) Turn 7
« on: October 07, 2020, 07:30:08 pm »

I was thinking about this idea a while ago, and apparently Supernerd wants more gridhood games, so here, have a thing.

Rules: Be gods, make things. Be tribes, build stuff, mostly get killed by gods. Gods start with 12 power and if they run out of power they DIE. Tribes start with 12 population and if they run out of population they go extinct. Try not to be a tribe before there's enough world to survive in or I will not hesitate to kill all your members off.

Gods may:
  • create one triangle of simple terrain for 1 power.
  • supply a civilisation directly with 6 food for 1 power.
  • boost the fertility of a tile by one level for 6 power.
  • increase the population of a civilisation by 1 for (previous population/4) power (3 for all tribes at starting population).
  • double the research output of researchers for 1 power each, limit one per researcher.

Tribes consume 1 food per population per turn.
Tribe members may:
  • forage for food; production modified by tribe foraging ability and terrain.
  • pray to the local divinities, generating a small trickle of power.
  • sacrifice to the local divinities, generating somewhat more power.
  • try to reproduce, increasing the population of the tribe. Reproduction will also happen passively.
  • any additional actions unlocked by their understood technologies.
  • attempt to learn to do new things. Success highly variable!

These are not exhaustive lists.

The coordinate system may take some getting used to, but it's just basic synergetics: follow the axes in each direction (helpfully indicated by arrows) until you hit the coordinate for that axis. For example, the topmost left triangle is F1m.

I'm not really into art so I will probably not make anything more fancy than a basic colour-coding.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:12:26 am by Maximum Spin »

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hexahood
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 08:29:28 pm »

I'm in.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 09:26:05 pm »

I'm in.
If you want to play as a creator, just come up with a name and make some terrain in a triangle. Any kind of mundane terrain is 1 power.

(If you wanted to play as a tribe, though, obviously you will have to wait.)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 02:25:36 am »

Is that a hex or a cube? If it is a (flat) hex why do you need 3 coordinates to identify a triangle?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 02:37:59 am »

Is that a hex or a cube? If it is a (flat) hex why do you need 3 coordinates to identify a triangle?
It is a flat hex. The coordinates are, indeed, partially redundant — you can see for example that there is no A12m — but I eventually settled on this coordinate system to make it simpler for people. I had started with a 63 instead of 123 in fact, but I just didn't want to have to explain it.
Also, I like synergetic coordinates. Buckminster Fuller was one of those people who sound like they came from a comic book.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 01:49:03 pm »

“What?  Not place for us to settle?

What kind of world is this?

The gods must be lazy!”

*shakes pear*
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 04:54:22 pm »

Cait Sith, God of Magic(and Cats)

G7s: Create a Mountain
F7s: Create a Jungle
G7r: Create a Lake
G6r: Create a Beach
F6r: Create an Ocean
F7s: Create a Wetland

"I, Cait Sith, the God of Magic and Cats, decree that I shall make land. Those who praise and pray shall receive further bounty."

As a note, I am have writing East to go in my own game, followed by adding the info to the spoilers. Let there be Cats(and Magic)

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 06:10:43 pm »

I assume standard gridhood rules apply.  Such as, tiles don't exist until a turn update.

I suppose I'll be a god just to get things moving.

Phlattus, god of the plains, has heard the plaintive cries of the yet-to-be-born mortals for more plains, and has graciously decided to exist to accommodate them!

Phlattus creates plains at B4t, B3t, C4t, and B4u!

The map and coordinate system definitely is... unusual.  I think I'm doing this right...

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 08:06:49 pm »

Phlattus creates the Great Triangular Plain in the middle of the left hextant.
Cait Sith girds the centre in various terrains, but is unable to create a wetland at F7s because F7s is already a jungle! I assume you meant 6, but strictness is a fine Gridhood tradition.

key
mountain
jungle
freshwater body
open ocean
basic beach
plain

Gods
Phlattus: 8 Power
Cait Sith: 7 Power

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 08:12:51 pm »

The civilization of the Plains Humans, comprised of plain humans that prefer living on plains and eating bland food, arrives on B4t.

Do I get a turn now, or do I wait?

2x forage for food on B4t
2x forage for food on B3t
2x forage for food on C4t
2x forage for food on B4u
2x pray to Phlattus. The ceremony consists of a long chant, droning on through the day.
2x research Sustainable Foraging.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:17:47 pm by Nirur Torir »

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 08:13:55 pm »

The civilization of the Plains Humans, comprised of plain humans that prefer living on plains and eating bland food, arrives on B4t.

Do I get a turn now, or do I wait?
Much like a god, you can do a first thing right away. (It should probably involve at least some foraging for food.)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 08:22:05 pm »

Cait Sith, God of Magic and Cats.
F6s is made a Wetlands.

Issues with large actions, sometimes even the gods mess up a bit.

Now I wait to see if any take one of them.

And go to bed.

Whule a bit difficult to wrap one's head around, the areas at least make things clearer. While the blank mape looks like a hexagon, the center piece makes it stand out as a cube with how things ended up.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:24:54 pm by TricMagic »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 08:24:39 pm »

There's no rule that says I can't play an aquatic civilization, so I'm going to do that unless I'm explicitly told not to.
The rules for civilization actions are non-existent, so I'm going to try the usual Gridhood styles.

The Catfish Tribe emerges at F6r!
2 Catfish prays to Cait Sith
8 Catfish forage at F6r
2 Catfish research foraging technique
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 08:28:24 pm »

There's no rule that says I can't play an aquatic civilization, so I'm going to do that unless I'm explicitly told not to.
You may.
The rules for civilization actions are non-existent, so I'm going to try the usual Gridhood styles.
Correct. If I try to write out rules all at once I will never actually start anything.

Incidentally, New rule for gods: A god may rain manna upon a civilisation's tile, giving them 6 food for every 1 power!
Relying on manna from heaven WILL degrade your foraging capability over time.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Hexahood (Gridhood, but hexa.)
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2020, 08:59:05 pm »

Could we get a guide that better explanation of how to tell what triangles should be referred to as?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12