00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252214 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4800 on: August 02, 2020, 11:39:39 pm »

I'll write the bar scene tomorrow. I need sleeeeep. Let me know if anything doesn't make sense -- interstellar economies are...are a terrifying concept. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Theory_of_Interstellar_Trade

Spoiler: 'Gods' (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Culmination (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 11:53:10 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4801 on: August 02, 2020, 11:48:56 pm »

(('Night Egar-- thanks as always for the exposition :) ))
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4802 on: August 03, 2020, 09:28:29 pm »

"Yeah, let's go get a drink." You murmur, taking one last look at the plinth.

[1] "Wait." You tersely command as anger and frustration rises within. You reach out towards the walls again, carving away the stone with your willpower.

[15][17] You burn away the impurities until the silicon gleams a bright silver. It twists and writhes in your mind's eye until you visualize the man. A body forms, clad in heavy crusader armor, made imperfect by memory. Captain Zachary McKinney kneels faithfully before you once again, a cutter hilt stuck into the ground in supplication. The details are not as strong as you would like, but the name underneath provides all the explanation the statue needs.

Regret threatens to consume your fire, but you tamp it down, and the emotion dies again.

"He was a good man. Loyal. Faithful. All those good things." William offers, quietly, "But regret Can't bring back the dead," and, with a dark chuckle, "Trust me, I've tried."

You nod. Then, in silence, you walk to the elevator.

You pull on the heavy hooded greatcoat, and William rolls up and folding the empty sleeve for you. You give him a smile, before strapping the gas mask to your face. You tuck your hair into the hood and dip him a nod. The two of you walk through the Fortress.

[19] Stalls line the street, selling meat and other items. Pawnshops seem to be the most prevalent, a wide variety of luxury items on sale. Children laugh and play while adults work to plant gardens. Murals line the walls, showing scenes from the mythological history of SEED, of streets and plazas of the Holy City. Great heroes sit in detailed landscapes, usually in some form of contemplation. The scenes, too, bare the mark of the religion -- cogs, steam, pipes, and brass twist into vivid natural landscapes.

[-] Something disconcerting is the amount of fire and blood that drip through the art. The heroes all have halos of fire. Campfires and candles break through the greenery. It creeps around the machinery, which, after pausing to inspect and compare, you find there is often more industry than nature within the works.

[11] There's a mural of you, too. You are clad in golden armor, wearing your wings of red-streaked fire and a halo of gold. You're carefully turned to avoid painting the missing arm, and you stare down at yourself without expression. Machinery, weapons, and cutters surround you in an ornate underlay. Candles lay at the base of it, and a bowl is filled with rations, flowers, and trinkets of cloth.

"There's a better one of you in one of the main halls. You're striking down a worm with a sword of light."

"Let me see it."

"Eh? Vain much."

You ignore him, following him down the elevator again.

[17] Your feet suddenly stop echoing on the tile of the floor as you stare at the mentioned mural. It fills an entire, unbroken wall. You fly triumphantly above a battlefield. One side is the Crusaders, led by a well-rendered Eric. He holds his cutter blade aloft, urging his men forward. The Crusaders look badly beaten, with many of them gravely injured, but they surge forth over the grassy plain with a zealous intensity that the artist captured well. William's Warmachines, their Thorns proudly displayed, loom over the Crusaders, using weapons as big as their brothers-in-arms.

On their opposite is the Plague, horrifyingly painted to capture their terrifying appearance. Insects swarm forth. They all charge out over a blasted wasteland—las-fire streaks through the air. Mortar shells blast into the Plague's ranks.

You hover in the middle of it, striking down a Colossus with your fire. The two of you twisting in battle dominates the scene—your wings of fire burn against the bright day. Blood pools from your wounds, as ichor, drips from the colossus. Its mouth is parted in a scream of pain as it dies.

You look over yourself and find your hair has been painted gold in this. Your golden armor is covered in blood and ichor and mud, but you shine with radiance. A flaming sword held in your hands burns through the beast -- but what draws your attention is your face. You do not wear the helmet like you did, but instead, it reveals your face stretched into a savage, joyous grin.

"They don't think much of me, do they?" You ask William.

"Do you want the truth?"

"Always."

"It's about why you're called the Angel of Mercy."

"Ah."

"They say its because it's only by your mercy they are not dead. One way or the other."

"They fear me?" You carefully question.

"Who doesn't?" William retorts.

"Do you?"

"Why do you think I bother working for you?"

"Hey! Michael! Two glasses of my personal stuff!" William calls as he claims a table in the corner of a poorly-lit room. The speakeasy is hidden behind crates in a warehouse, only accessible e by a carefully concealed door. You pause in the doorframe, staring at the man behind the bar. You hurry to William's table. Surprised to see the barkeep from the public house, back in the Holy City. He nods, pulling out a bottle of wine and pouring two glasses. He drops them on the table without remark.

You peel up your mask just a little to take a drink. The wine burns as it goes down, and you nearly choke. It's strong, very strong.

"[Ascended Wine?]"

"[Yes. Cephie owed me a favor.]"

Is there anything you should discuss with William? Or should you keep this a social visit?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 09:30:53 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4803 on: August 03, 2020, 09:49:31 pm »

Ask him if we need a formal spy arm of the government, even if only for counterspying.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4804 on: August 03, 2020, 09:53:23 pm »

Michael! Good to see a familiar face.

I've nothing too pressing for conversation topics-- just checkings in. How are the Thornton siblings holding up these days? Everything alright between them and their Line-instances?

...are they speaking to each other, the Thornton siblings? The last time we saw them together... t'was a tense moment.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 10:04:08 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #4805 on: August 03, 2020, 10:06:20 pm »

And ask him how Emma is.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4806 on: August 03, 2020, 11:38:01 pm »

"[Do you think we need an formal spy network? If only for counter-espionage?]" You question William, taking a sip of your wine. "Rekhyt [knew a lot.]"

"[All of it worthless.]" William smoothly replies. "[We fed him a lot of bullcrap. I'll leave that up to you, but I feel I do a pretty good job when it comes to these affairs.]"

"[Do you really think so little of our neighbors?]"

"[Yes. I do. But, as I said, that's your call.]"

"[Mmmh. Well, I didn't come here to simply talk business all afternoon. How are you two holding up?]"

[6] "[Fine.]" William sniffs, taking a gulp of his wine. "[We haven't spoke since that...discussion. But we'll get to eventually. I think.]"

You give a small, reluctant nod, but do not press. William tensed up with that question and his smile fled his face to be replaced with a rare scowl. "[How are you getting on with your Ancestors?]"

"[Mine don't really talk that much. I think I figured out how to mute Alphira, which was a joy to discover.]" William shakes his head, "[I don't know how you managed to deal with her for so long.]"

"[I have a lot of patience.]"

"[Liar.]"

"[You're right, I devoured her the first chance I got.]" You grin across the table, showing your teeth, before taking a dainty sip of your wine. "[She was more trouble than she was worth.]"

I think...Emma is doing okay. Last I saw her, she didn't seem too upset with me, or the situation. It...it was an awkward morning.

Instead, "[This is awkward to ask...but are you upset with me over] Emma [and I breaking up?]"

"[Oh, nah. I figured it would happen. You're both really young -- first loves never last. Considering there's an eternity of time for you two to make up -- I'm really not concerned.]"

"[Does she seem upset?]"

"[I think she's sleeping a lot better, one way or the other.]" William snarks, flashing you a grin.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 11:43:01 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4807 on: August 03, 2020, 11:47:43 pm »

It might be useful to ask him if he would be up for daily group training, and whether or not he thinks it would be something Emma might agree to participate in.  Mention our conversation with Ashes.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4808 on: August 04, 2020, 12:41:28 am »

That's all the questions I had, really. Nice to know things are stable with this one.

klonk
Sigtext

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4809 on: August 04, 2020, 06:45:25 am »

Probably gonna want to start that everyone training thing soon so we can kill that guy when he shows up.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4810 on: August 04, 2020, 06:36:26 pm »

"[So, would it be an issue for you if we all started sparring and practicing together?]" You question.

"[Wait, what?]" William asks, after a beat. "[I never thought you would be one to want to share the limelight.]"

"[Someone gave me the advice that I would need more practice.]" You explain. "[So, I would like to train with a group of people I trust. Each of you have strengths that I'm lacking.]"

"[Oh. I thought we were actually going to be fighting together.]" William gives a nod, "[I don't see why not. Who else are you thinking of practicing with?]"

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:48:37 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4811 on: August 04, 2020, 07:04:15 pm »

"Emma, Cephie, and maybe Eric."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4812 on: August 05, 2020, 03:12:07 am »

"Emma, Cephie, and maybe Eric."
+1 Those all sound like the best candidates.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4813 on: August 05, 2020, 06:52:06 am »

"[Why? Each of them. What's the reasoning?]"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4814 on: August 05, 2020, 06:58:10 am »

Emma seems like she would be excellent at manipulating probabilities, and maybe training with her will help us learn to do the same at a faster rate.  Cephie is a more "experienced" Ascended, and she may know some tricks that we are not aware of.  She's also familiar with Magnus and can help us determine how he fights.  Training with Eric might help us bond with him.  He may also be a candidate for Ascension.
Pages: 1 ... 319 320 [321] 322 323 ... 381