00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 252074 times)

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #4785 on: August 02, 2020, 03:44:24 pm »

I was indeed wondering if that was the case. But I don't think my speculation is worth their lives. Banish them.

Hotfire90

« Reply #4786 on: August 02, 2020, 03:51:39 pm »

Rekhyt is cunning and bold enough to insult us and our hospitality directly to our face, knowing that we could understand him. Letting his spies go without receiving anything in return would be a waste of an opportunity.

If we let them go we should tell Rekhyt that we're doing it as a favor to him and that we expect the favor to be repaid.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4787 on: August 02, 2020, 04:11:44 pm »

We might as well exploit this moment for all it's worth.  It makes sense to frame this as a favor to his government and his family and ask for a favor in return.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4788 on: August 02, 2020, 04:49:04 pm »

"We'll release them to Rekhyt as a favor." You explain to William, dipping a nod. With a grin, William slips his pistol back into his gunbelt, and Rekhyt glances at you as he approaches the agents. His eye dances along them as he walks, peeling off hoods and nodding with approval. Then, he gets to the last in line.

She's middle-aged, and missing fingers from her hand. When she spots Rekhyt, her eyes go wide. She makes a muffled whimper, trying to pull away from the chain --

[17+3 vs. 18, 11] -- and in a flash of steel and bone, his knife dances across her neck. She crumples, choking on her own blood as William starts forward and grabs at the Outlander Prince.

[1] "Outlanders owe no favors, Pheobe." Rekhyt doesn't move, and William, after a moment's pause, releases him. Rekhyt uses the black bag that was upon her head to wipe down his blade. "Release the rest or execute them as you see fit."

[18] Your anger threatens to bloom forth into a firestorm, but you contain yourself. "Who was she, William?"

"An ex-Crusader turned Scholar secretary in the Ministry of State." William coldly explains, leaning down to check her pulse. "She was too clean. No drugs, no affairs, enjoyed walking and chatting. I figured she was the [kingpin]."

"She was. A very, very expensive piece in the game." Rekhyt sighs as he slips away his longknife. "Ten years my father cultivated her. Sorry for getting blood in your garden, Pheobe. Let it be known I took no joy in that. But I cannot abide by failure of that magnitude."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:15:36 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4789 on: August 02, 2020, 05:10:03 pm »

Outlanders are really into murders, apparently.  Especially on diplomatic missions.

"Fine.  William, exile the surviving spies.  Rekhyt, I will see you in the Outlands.  Try not to kill anyone else while you're inside the Holylands."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4790 on: August 02, 2020, 06:38:24 pm »

The princeling's spurned our mercy. This we'll address-- but with precision, not spite. Spite sours relations. Spite implies weakness.
I'm inclined to burn the corpse to ashes in a silica urn, right here, right now-- a little show of what we're capable of-- but there's a question I would ask first.

Sigh. "Angel of mercy, Prince Samkrend. That title means much to me."
"Have your people funereal customs for such a one as this?"
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4791 on: August 02, 2020, 07:07:31 pm »

"Not for a clanless failure, no." Rekhyt drops the cloth on the corpse after wiping his hands clean. "Did I upset you by calling your bluff? If so, I apologize, but favors and failures are not a thing to be taken lightly."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4792 on: August 02, 2020, 07:10:41 pm »

"I will not weep for the death of a traitor, but in these lands we have laws.  As a guest in this realm, I ask that you abide by our law that prohibits murder."

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4793 on: August 02, 2020, 07:39:32 pm »

Right... the demonstration, then.

Soft words-- will in the voice. "You'll not mind, then, if I-- tidy my garden."
Incineration. An urn of glass, to contain what remains.

"I will not weep for the death of a traitor, but in these lands we have laws.  As a guest in this realm, I ask that you abide by our law that prohibits murder."
+1

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4794 on: August 02, 2020, 09:46:08 pm »

Why bother?  We already cowed him with the Voidmarine, and he probably already knows from his spies what we are capable of.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4795 on: August 02, 2020, 09:46:58 pm »

Why bother?  We already cowed him with the Voidmarine, and he probably already knows from his spies what we are capable of.
this is a good point

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4796 on: August 02, 2020, 09:58:15 pm »

I hope you do not mind if I show him what a true man-made god looks like?

[19][13] Your wings unfurl themselves with a flash of light, but you vent the heat away into the rafters where it can safely dissipate. You take a step forward, towards Rekhyt and the corpse. You gesture towards the woman's chains, and the Warmachines quickly release the body. They back the other captives away a safe distance. Fire dances at the tips of your fingers, burning hot with condensed hydrogen.

Rekhyt stands in stunned silence, and you stare at him, expressionless.

"I wish to tidy my garden, Prince Rekhyt."

You do not need to carve a section of the wall to create a dias, but you do it anyway, casting it into the center of the room. You tick your head to William, who kneels down and comfortably lifts the corpse onto it. You concentrate your fire there, incinerating the remains until there's naught but a fine layer of ash and bone fragments. Rekhyt looks ill, but you and William are quite accustomed to the smell of burning corpses.

"[It reminds of] Rodstadt." William remarks softly, in high Empyreal. "[Our failure there.]"

"[It reminds me of many failures, William.]"

"[You owe me a drink for making me miss that party], Phe-Phe. [I know a nice bar. Illegal. Quiet. Owned by an old friend.]"

"Maybe."

[14][12] You take a step forward, and, after some thought, you shape and twist the stone to entomb the ashes. You trap a hydrogen molecule here, a bit of water and ash there. It's not quite as detailed as you had hoped, but on a small plinth of rock, shaped from glassy, shiny silicon, it is a pistol and a pen. You'll have to modify it later...

"I will not weep for a traitor. We have laws in this land. As a guest, you are to abide by them. Murder is not the same as a lawful execution."

[3] "And Rekhyt?" You turn to face him, and your rage boils over as you step close to him. You stop the careful updrafts protecting him from the heat of your blazing wings, and sweat beads on his skin instantly. "If you kill any more of my people - I will treat you as a threat -- and I will show you why you should fear my flames, Prince."

[15 vs 18][14] Perhaps he sees it as a challenge rather than a promise because he draws on you, his knife a gleam of silver. He doesn't attack. With a grin, you lean forward, and, with a trick of theatrics, you blow burning hot fire on his knife, keeping the heat from burning his hand. Steel melts rapidly, and the blade drops to the ground. You straighten. "You are dismissed, Emissary. I will see you in the Outlands."

Rekhyt's lips quirk. Then, he turns and strides out the door in silence, casting aside the bone handle.

When it slams shut, after the Warmachines take the captives outside, William laughs. "That was hot."

"Oh, my [gods] that pun was awful, William." You rub at your face, feeling your anger cool. "Was it too much?"

"[Gods] no. Well, maybe the Ancestors will have something to say, but I thought you did well utilizing your power. Maybe get Cephie to teach you some acting and theatrics?"

"Maybe."

"So, drinks?"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Holdings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:00:09 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4797 on: August 02, 2020, 10:11:06 pm »

Ah, pleased to see how much control you have been able to achieve.  That knife thing was great, reminds me of that time I gave someone a haircut with micro wormholes.

Did you guys uhhhhhh interrogate them first?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4798 on: August 02, 2020, 10:46:32 pm »

The other prisoners? They're alive-- this was naught but a corpse disposal. We can question them later, and sort out the terms of their exile while we're at it.

Drinks at your discretion, godling-- you've surely earned as much, after that little display! 'Tis an elder's joy, to witness the awe you strike in people.
(You shall have to tell us of that haircut sometime, [father/mentor].)

Spoiler: <queries> (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:48:45 pm by Superdorf »

klonk
Sigtext

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4799 on: August 02, 2020, 11:21:10 pm »

That's a lesson he won't soon forget.  Perhaps we'll be able to continue his lessons in the Outlands.

Go to the bar with William.
Pages: 1 ... 318 319 [320] 321 322 ... 381