Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478839 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Nu-Omicron EX Plus Alpha Edition
« Reply #6000 on: November 27, 2021, 03:48:41 pm »

I think you're supposed to eat the plump swines, not the spindly ones.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: November 27, 2021, 03:51:49 pm »

Hey, look on the bright side vec; if you're explaining it to the grandkids, both you and whatever generated them survived long enough to establish generational descent.

Look forward to explaining things to grandkids, that means at least two people are alive you probably want to be :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: November 27, 2021, 03:52:42 pm »

I think you're supposed to eat the plump swines, not the spindly ones.
I always strive to be, when it comes down to it, a Humanitarian.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Flu Season?? edition
« Reply #6003 on: November 27, 2021, 07:11:44 pm »

You could also just accept the inevitable that the human race is too stupid to survive.

Problem is, I'm the human race too, as are everyone I know and love, so I kind of sort of rather don't like this outcome.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: November 27, 2021, 09:09:20 pm »

Will humanity inevitably die out, due to not making the mark, or due to the universe being unfair and there being no mark to make? Are current difficulties just sadly unnecessary growing pains which will deliver us unto greater heights? Or is our foolishness and greed and irrationality just part of what we are, and part of the plague we will bring upon the entire reachable universe? Are none of these questions even valid in the face of what we don't yet know? Is the outcome even in doubt, or a foregone conclusion which I'm too dumb to see?

Regardless, I have no reason to be sure we're doomed in that particular way, or that we're doomed at all. Thus, I may as well not lose myself to despair, if only because I don't have enough of a mind to conclude I should.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: November 27, 2021, 09:29:41 pm »

By no means do I suggest no effort is made to fix issues, we just have to deal with some people banging their head on the wall complaining their head hurts while other people tell them if they vote for them they’ll stick it to the guys who are making their head hurt, because the other guys are trying to take their headache medicine and give it to other people.

Summat like that anyway.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: November 27, 2021, 09:54:56 pm »

By no means do I suggest no effort is made to fix issues, we just have to deal with some people banging their head on the wall complaining their head hurts while other people tell them if they vote for them they’ll stick it to the guys who are making their head hurt, because the other guys are trying to take their headache medicine and give it to other people.

Summat like that anyway.

Yet both candidates are funded by Big Wall.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: November 28, 2021, 08:21:23 am »

And the wall is filled with magical canibal gigants too?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: November 28, 2021, 03:20:20 pm »

Dutch government has deployed a police and military police peremiter around the quarantaine hotel for infected travellers from South Africa, because a part of them refuse to be quarantained voluntarily.
13 out of the 61 travellers that tested positive have the new omicron variant  (which turned our country into the country with the most confirmed omicron infections except for South Africa itself, overnight.)

EDIT: One married couple managed to escape from the hotel. They have been arrested inside a plane that was about to take off from Schiphol airport, and have been back to the quarantaine hotel.

I wonder if all the passengers in the plane they fled to have also been taken into custody to be tested...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2021, 04:56:16 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: November 28, 2021, 05:36:21 pm »

China (at least Guangdong) pulled out the stops on this round of variants. Landed and then was immediately registered and tested (results presumably only told if positive). About an additional 30 minutes in line. We were flying from a very low risk area too, which suggests they're doing this with every flight. Good contact tracing, if not very inconvenient.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: November 28, 2021, 07:01:40 pm »

We had two Omicron cases reported in the UK (returning travellers; they and their families now isolating).

Number three, reportedly, is someone "not in the UK now, but had visited Westminster". Which certainly puts a few interesting angles on the situation.

(England's finally... Well from Tuesday... going back to compulsory masks in all kinds of places they had re. Whoop-de-doo. For those of us who never stopped wearing them, I'm sure that's the very least that could be done. The safest people in England are probably those still stuck at the Tan Hill Inn for a third night... Politically,  the SNP is tabling a motion in Westminster to censure Boris Johnson. Not directly related to the fall-out specific to Omicron, and probably will fail, but indicative of either general backround feeling or of opportunism, depending on your POV.)

On the general Omicron front, some of those studying current data think it might be particularly good at evading various prior acquired immunities but may also be much milder. It could be the route to a (comparatively) benign endemic. Not something I'm going to bet upon, though, so for now I'm not going to be tempting fate on such a promise. I'll stick with Boosters, thanks.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: November 28, 2021, 07:27:47 pm »

On the general Omicron front, some of those studying current data think it might be particularly good at evading various prior acquired immunities but may also be much milder. It could be the route to a (comparatively) benign endemic. Not something I'm going to bet upon, though, so for now I'm not going to be tempting fate on such a promise. I'll stick with Boosters, thanks.

Same - while searching for any optimism on the topic I had the fantasy of a more infectious but much less deadly variant out-competing the rest. We'll see, I guess. Been eagerly looking toward Nature and the WHO for updates.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: November 28, 2021, 11:15:35 pm »

Fauci foreshadowing more lockdowns. Shit. Fuck. Goddamit. Fuck. Fuck.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6013 on: November 29, 2021, 07:15:55 am »

Six more Omicron cases in the UK from Scotland. Looks like it's time to finally get that booster, though it seems I've been way overdue for one anyways

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: November 29, 2021, 09:15:40 am »

152 days after your 2nd dose. (And you won't be able to start to book the dose until that time has passed, and then you'll probably have to book a few more days hence.)

Everyone over 18 is being encouraged to Boost, in England at least, but unless you were already a priority (by higher age or specific health vulnerabilities) you still won't actually be able to. Typical sideways promises-that-aren't. ;)
Pages: 1 ... 399 400 [401] 402 403 ... 459