Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478838 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Nu-Omicron EX Plus Alpha Edition
« Reply #6030 on: November 29, 2021, 07:39:23 pm »

Echo that. Best of luck to you and yours, LB. Hopefully the vaccine y'all got will do well, keep you all out the hospital and away from long covid.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: November 29, 2021, 07:39:49 pm »

Im mildly worried she just had her second dosis a few days ago, but it seems she got it after being vaccined. Anyway we are all feeling fine, I do have some flu like symptoms but nothing too harsh and in fact I feel better today than yesterday.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: November 29, 2021, 07:48:15 pm »

Good luck. If several days means less than a week, then the second dose may not have the full effect, but a reasonably young adult with one dose is still in a pretty good position. Especially as you have a small child - if he's been around other kids, her immune system is probably tougher than a roided up rugby prop.
One wheel short of a wagon

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: November 29, 2021, 07:50:52 pm »

a
« Last Edit: August 21, 2024, 06:41:30 am by dragdeler »
let

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: November 30, 2021, 04:05:54 am »

Yeah get well soon, and don't get very sick please.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: November 30, 2021, 08:12:44 am »

Thank you all pals for your wishes and worry. Her test showed a very faint line, the nurse told us it is because she migth have a "low viral charge", it seems that is a positive thing. So far she only has had a mild headache lasting several days, but working half time in a drugstore she was demanded to have the test.

Pedro is the same joyful kid playing allll day without stop. Besides some occasional sneezing he is perfectly fine. My wife keep checking his temp constantly, already talked to his doc to be on alert (via whatsapp) and we asked pete to tell us if he feels bad in any way or shape inmediately.

I keep with flu like symptoms. Annoying but hardly lethal. Keep checking how deep I can breathe and for many seconds I can keep my breathe. The deepness is a bit smaller, the lenght of hold is still the same.

We are 100% isolated, my uncle and his girlfriend are keeping in their side of the house and already agreed to not come to this side for at least two weeks.

My wife's mom and siter are here on a visit and now have to remain here, they are on another room and will try to keep contact at minimum, so far they have 0 symptoms.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:15:59 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: November 30, 2021, 07:24:42 pm »

Good luck. Please let us know if you need any financial help due to needing to stay home.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: November 30, 2021, 09:48:09 pm »

Thanks a lot Vector, dont worry, by chances today marks my second month on a work online with a USA company, this income is making HUGE changes in our lives, and while is not Richy Rich amounts, money is not an issue for susteniance now.

Thanks a lot Vector, I really apreciate it! This forum has to be the best one over all the internet.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: December 01, 2021, 02:40:58 am »

So Merck's (molnupiravir) antiviral pill seems to be not very effective - rounding off around 30% effective, the original estimate was 50%. It's up for FDA approval next (and potentially Emergency Use Authorization). It's not /uneffective/ just disappointingly low. That said, there's no alternative, currently - so why not take the extra 30%? There are apparently worries about causing mutations in Covid strains by use of this drug - though I can't find a source for exactly /what/ would cause mutations more than the base level of the virus being in the body and not wiped out totally.

Pfizer's pill is up for review next and even if it's less effective by the same margin, it's aiming to be a great cure.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: December 01, 2021, 03:14:18 am »

I don't think the issue is in causing more mutations than the base line but rather of providing an ongoing host where any vaccine (and/or antiviral pill) resistant mutations get the chance to multiply up.  The counter measures drag out the infection and provide an evolutionary advantage to any mutation resistant to them.  It is similar to how patients who are already immunocompromised, from other sources, are prime mutation sites as their antibody response tends to be lower leading to an ongoing infection and the continuing chance for the virus to evolve.  I take it that is the general idea. (It's a bit early for sources specifically relatated to molnupiravir as yet, methinks.)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 03:15:51 am by feelotraveller »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: December 01, 2021, 03:18:08 am »

Ah, that makes sense - could definitely be a concern, yeah.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: December 01, 2021, 03:23:35 am »

The method of action for the pill is "causes lethal mutations" in viral replication.

The pill is essentially an analog of (iirc) Uracil, an amino base pair. The enzyme that replicates the viral genome cant tell the analog from the real thing, and zips up the analog when transcribing the genome for replication, resulting in defective copies.

That's how it works.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: December 01, 2021, 04:16:58 am »

The catcholic church leaders in the Netherlands have decided to scrap all celebrations and masses after 17pm, including Christmas activities, in order to assist with combating the virus.

EDIT: in other news, Combating the virus is meeting unexpected resistance: Dutch labor laws. All the people that have been manning the test streets and the vaccination streets have been working on temporary ('flexwork') contracts. Now that the crisis is already in it's third year, those contract have reached the point where they cannot be extended anymore. The law demands that they would have to be turned into permanent contracts. But there's no funding for that. So a lot of those workers will need to be fired, and can only come back after a 6 month cooldown period.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:24:34 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: December 01, 2021, 07:17:56 am »

This should have to be addressed 6 months ago.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: December 01, 2021, 08:06:05 am »

Completely agree. The job security laws aren't to blame, lack of foresight is.

Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 459