Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 459

Author Topic: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19: Lurking Omni-Flu Edition  (Read 478756 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Flu Season?? edition
« Reply #5985 on: November 26, 2021, 08:15:33 pm »

Hey Vec, at least you'll be isolated during the break, yeah?

I will be, but then I go immediately afterwards to in-person instruction on a gigantic public university campus. The problem is that I am very weird now about being alone.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: November 26, 2021, 08:21:12 pm »

I think people wouldn’t accept new covid restrictions because you could quite easily make the argument that the restrictions that were previously put in place didn’t actually work, and now there are vaccines and, like, some people have taken it.

People would also be tremendously upset if Christmas were cancelled again.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5987 on: November 26, 2021, 08:29:22 pm »

Speak for yourself

But yes, that's going to cause an awful lot of stir.  And I even went to a three-day Friendsgiving thing before seeing some aunts for Thanksgiving itself.  (Dad and I did do nasal Covid tests to be safe.  We could have been infected at the Friendsgiving but we shouldn't have been infectious yet.  Neither of us were at all likely to be infected earlier.)

(The Friendsgiving wasn't *my* friends but it was still good fun, honestly)

I'm definitely skipping Christmas this year though.  I've used much worse excuses.  It's not a religious thing, although that does grate.  I hate birthday parties too.  Obligatory gift giving is great for most people, but I have a lot of personal experience problems with it so no thanks.
(The giving is fun, the receiving... I feel like I'm being saddled with obligations. I have problems.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 08:32:46 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: November 26, 2021, 10:42:48 pm »

Covid restrictions are like the nationwide equivalent of the prisoner's dilemma, and capitalism has convinced half the participants that doing your part is A Bad Thing. The stock markets are gonna panic anyways, because money is made of speculation and there's lots to speculate right now that there may be new restrictions, vaccines, or freezer trucks full of corpses, and that's Bad For Business.

My concern is as much about the severity of a new strain and the probable unwillingness of swaths of people either to continue minding it or using it as a shovel to continue entrenching in antivax bullshit (you got that last shot and it's no good any more, how much stuff are you going to let The Man pump into your arm?). It was a battle of attrition with the bug to begin with, the worry is the metaphorical terrain will slant uphill while the human death spiral sucks in the hapless and unwilling into its deadly vortex.

I think each and every one of us who has taken each and every consideration for a deadly global pandemic has every right to continue flipping out as it becomes progressively more difficult to keep ourselves and others safe.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: November 26, 2021, 11:11:01 pm »

You could also just accept the inevitable that the human race is too stupid to survive.

I mean, two current existential crises have fairly easy solutions to them: basic hygiene and consideration for your neighbour will likely keep you from getting sick, and not burning the world to the ground will mean we can continue, like, breathing and shit. (well alright over-simplifying climate change but seriously doing something is better than progressively accelerating it.)

Will people do that? Fuck no. Why should they spend a dollar today to avoid spending two tomorrow fixing a now much more significant problem? A stitch in time saves nine, but they could just buy a new dress, too, it’s fine. Doesn’t matter that the new dress is just the shreds of the old one (the metaphor is getting away from me) but by the time it matters they’ll be dead and their kids and grand-kids have to deal with it.

Morganite away, guys.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: November 26, 2021, 11:20:37 pm »

Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant. Need as well as greed have followed us to the stars, and the rewards of wealth still await those wise enough to recognize this deep thrumming of our common pulse.
- A maniac who funded measures against all those literal brainworms, marking him as a much better capitalist than any of our market leaders.

Of course, he planned to live forever.  He wasn't running down his last 10 years trying to build a high score, and damn the consequences to everyone else.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untamed Virus Containment Thread:COVID-19:Nu-Omicron EX Plus Alpha Edition
« Reply #5991 on: November 27, 2021, 12:16:25 am »

To be clear I'm freaking out because my housemates are leaving to travel for holiday stuff. Not because I'm expecting a lockdown. Because six months of enforced Alone Time has created personality changes such that I'm no longer exactly an introvert.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: November 27, 2021, 06:04:15 am »

In the past 16 months, a total of 48 people where found to be infected with corona on flights entering our country from South Africa...

But now, in just one day, on two flights from South Africa, 600 people were tested, and 61 were tested positive for corona.

Although it is not yet known if they have the new omicron variant, this is not boding well. It looks like this omicron variant is much more contagious than the delta variant.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: November 27, 2021, 08:14:56 am »

Because is Lrrrr, the Omicron Persei Variant.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: November 27, 2021, 09:33:14 am »

SA is complaining that they’re being punished for finding a new variant.

Also, the WHO is urging countries not to rush to travel bans, and instead use a risk-based and scientific approach.

I would personally have thought that not allowing people into your country that have been in an at-risk area would be quite a sensible decision, but then again they also allow their own nationals in even if they’ve been to those places, just quarantine ‘em first.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: November 27, 2021, 10:43:03 am »

Interesting that we skipped Nu-Covid

And the Xi variant  :P
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: November 27, 2021, 01:40:21 pm »

Merry Clotsmas

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: November 27, 2021, 03:13:53 pm »

Merry Clotsmas

Not looking forward to trying to explain this one to the grandkids

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: November 27, 2021, 03:23:43 pm »

To be clear I'm freaking out because my housemates are leaving to travel for holiday stuff. Not because I'm expecting a lockdown. Because six months of enforced Alone Time has created personality changes such that I'm no longer exactly an introvert.

I think that six months living alone would be unpleasant for plenty of actual introverts, myself included.

That said, I seem to have gotten sick with something-or-other right after thanksgiving, so I'd support canceling all family gathering holidays. Forever. I might be biased at this moment because it still hurts, but still.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: November 27, 2021, 03:38:59 pm »

Oh, the solitude.
There will be a sad empty spot on my christmas table.
Ever since my long pig escaped.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 459