Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: You are a Nascent Minor Deity (SG)  (Read 8503 times)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Nascent Minor Deity (SG)
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2019, 08:35:54 pm »

I wanna Guide These dudes to paradise

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2019, 09:10:20 pm »

No
We've learned enough. No need to get snoopish.

C
This is... a really hard mantle to work with, actually. I'm open to suggestions here, but how about...

...a well, deep and clear, filled to the brim with pure water licked by heatless flame across its surface. Such mortals as gaze into the well behold images of distant lands, and receive blessed guidance towards these lands should they choose to seek them out.

+1 the opportunity for discovery is in keeping with our god. This is totally going to lead to other lands either being ravaged by these wastelanders, or these raiders themselves being destroyed by the defences of other lands.

But hey, experimentation is part of discovery too.
+1
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2019, 09:17:31 pm »

No
We've learned enough. No need to get snoopish.

C
This is... a really hard mantle to work with, actually. I'm open to suggestions here, but how about...

...a well, deep and clear, filled to the brim with pure water licked by heatless flame across its surface. Such mortals as gaze into the well behold images of distant lands, and receive blessed guidance towards these lands should they choose to seek them out.

+1 the opportunity for discovery is in keeping with our god. This is totally going to lead to other lands either being ravaged by these wastelanders, or these raiders themselves being destroyed by the defences of other lands.

But hey, experimentation is part of discovery too.
+1

I think the flames are a bit over dramatic but the idea is solid, and I suppose it needs something to prove it's more than an ordinary well.
The main thing's to get this lot on our good side-- hopefully a stable water-source is something they'll find valuable.
I, just, uh -  I don't think I'd actually take any water from such a thing and it sounds like part of the plan is provide refreshment in addition to divination.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 09:41:34 pm by mightymushroom »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2019, 10:06:08 pm »

I think the flames are a bit over dramatic but the idea is solid, and I suppose it needs something to prove it's more than an ordinary well.
I want over-dramatic. We're trying to impress these guys; we might as well be flamboyant about it!

I, just, uh -  I don't think I'd actually take any water from such a thing and it sounds like part of the plan is provide refreshment in addition to divination.
...This is a fair point, though. How can we make our work obviously supernatural, without making it off-putting to our potential worshippers?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2019, 10:14:45 pm »

I want over-dramatic. We're trying to impress these guys; we might as well be flamboyant about it!

...This is a fair point, though. How can we make our work obviously supernatural, without making it off-putting to our potential worshippers?
We could have the flame just at the center of the pond.
Or we could have a vine reaching up from the center. That'd probably stand out more and be more welcoming.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2019, 11:02:47 pm »

Leaving their deepest-held secrets to themselves, you take pity on these wretched few, for in their feral state they lack curiosity and with it- the purpose that discovery brings. It takes you mere moments to decide a course of action. You will endeavor to bring them under your wing, and there, you will change them for the better. The power within you touches on the foremost among the Osterat, who raises a clenched fist and snarls in their guttural language. He thinks he's heard something, from the ruin nearby. Any dissent in the rest is overwhelmed by the fear of what would, and indeed has, happened after complaint coming to pass.

So they follow their leader and he readies his staff as he approaches the ruin, which seems to be a dilapidated hunk of rubble held upright far more than the sophisticated structure it no doubt once was. He kicks in the rusted circular door with practiced ease, and staggers back in surprise, for there is no silent and dark interior here, but rather, the soft crackle and warm glow of pale, ethereal flames. Beneath it is a pool of the cleanest, purest water anyone of these lesser souls has ever seen, and in its center, a vine more green, lively, and vibrant than any eye, undulating in a welcoming manner. It's the best you could do on such short notice, and you hope their reaction is favorable.

Quote from:  The Reaction of the Osterat
Rolling 1d20: 10

They are slow to respond, reacting with quiet paranoia and stunned disbelief more than any reverent awe. You hear whispers of the arcane, of some artifact trap of ages gone by, but the notion is soon cast into doubt, for there is none of the skin-crawling haze or rhythmic pulsing in the air that would indicate it. None of them know what to think of it, and as one overcomes his fear, approaching to kneel, plunge his arm into the pool unharmed before the widened eyes of his peers, and drink the refilling waters from the palm of his hand, you instinctively know that if you wish to do, there isn't going to be a better moment to manifest.

What do you want to do?

A) Appear in all your glory before these weary souls and demand their worship.
B) Reveal your presence in another, subtler but utterly undeniable way. [Specify]
C) Speak into the mind of the one who drank, and declare him your prophet among the peoples.
D) Abstain from further manifesting for the moment, the pool is all the proof you should need.
F) Attempt another, far more intelligent scheme you've devised. [Specify]

Spoiler:  Known Planes (click to show/hide)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2019, 01:24:46 am »

B. Speak into all their minds.

Offer these poor sods an opportunity: should they be willing to overcome their own fear, and distrust, we will allow them to go forth and see other worlds, more beautiful and richer than this one.  Using the pool, as a portal, to random planes.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2019, 03:43:07 am »

Offer these poor sods an opportunity: should they be willing to overcome their own fear, and distrust, we will allow them to go forth and see other worlds, more beautiful and richer than this one.  Using the pool, as a portal, to random planes.

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2019, 03:45:22 am »

+1

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2019, 07:41:35 am »

B

Collect the ethereal flame about the room, causing it to take our form: a flickering reflection of our true nature, suspended above the well.

Speak into all their minds.

Then do this.

klonk
Sigtext

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2019, 04:15:57 pm »

B

Collect the ethereal flame about the room, causing it to take our form: a flickering reflection of our true nature, suspended above the well.

Speak into all their minds.

Then do this.
+1

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2019, 10:24:03 pm »

Gazing upon the Osterat you can't help but feel a twinge of mercy. These mortals, they live their lives in this barren waste, content in their ignorance and bereft of the faintest vestige of curiosity. They are undeserving of their lot in life, for justified or not, it was earned the actions of their ancestors alone, and you feel you owe it to them to better their circumstance. Calmly, you enter their minds as a presence of benevolence and speak with a calm and measured voice, every syllable ushering in curiosity inconceivable to their minds, as the shimmering pool reflects the verdant vegetation and mysterious seas of your realm and the fires there disperse, only to coalesce in a flaming reflection of your true form. For good or ill, there can be no doubt among them now that you are a god.

"Mortals, overcome your fear and mistrust, and I shall grant you passage to another world, richer and brighter than any you've seen before."

Quote from:  Reaction of the Osterat
Rolling 1d20: 3

They are filled with paranoid terror of the exact sort you've described, and flee in a blind panic, shouting that an unholy deceiver wreathed in hellfire seeks to lead them astray. It is perhaps good you didn't tell them your name, but all the same, it might be wiser to- Hold, there is an exception to their cowardice, and he has fallen before the pool, weeping at the sight of the distant place before it fades. This was the one to step forward and drink, and the last to flee before what his clan has told him to loathe all the days of his life. In him burns primal horror at the sight of the unnatural flames in the shape of something so fundamentally unnatural, but it is overshadowed by mourning at the sight of what's been lost, and the fervent desire to see it brought to his people.

You render the circular door to the ruin restored and sealed with a thought, then turn your attention to the mortal, who has begun to prostrate himself and mutter in a panicked voice. "M-mighty one! B-be ye a demon of Dhiruer or an idol from elsewhere?" Hmm, perhaps you can still salvage something from this situation.

How do you wish to respond?

A) Explain the truth, and nothing but the truth.
B) Claim that you oppose Dhiruer and are not of him.
C) Directly fill his mind with the knowledge of who you are.
D) Somehow else. [Specify]

Spoiler:  Known Planes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:28:31 pm by Tube Wizard »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2019, 10:25:27 pm »

...*sigh*

A.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2019, 10:28:12 pm »

A

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11