Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: You are a Nascent Minor Deity (SG)  (Read 8504 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: You are a Nascent Minor Deity (SG)
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2019, 12:44:39 pm »

A

This guy is just gonna be a profit against us before we even get going.

Let's go talk to that group at the campfire they were going to raid. I'm sure saving them by advance knowledge of an attack would curry some favor for us.
After all, we know the gold rod is a bluff.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2019, 01:22:32 pm »

Deleted

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2019, 01:25:05 pm »

A

This guy is just gonna be a profit against us before we even get going.

Let's go talk to that group at the campfire they were going to raid. I'm sure saving them by advance knowledge of an attack would curry some favor for us.
After all, we know the gold rod is a bluff.

Mm... on the other hand, this guy's clearly got a strong will. If we can open his eyes to our cause, he could make for a fine prophet of our glory, yes? We might as well try.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2019, 02:17:46 pm »

B
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2019, 07:38:35 pm »

You pause, allowing the flames of your avatar to suck the light and warmth from the room, leaving only cold dread before your voice rings out and a tsunami of emotion descends upon the mortal's soul.

"Dhiruer? Dhiruer means nothing to me!"

Quote from:  Attempting to Enter the Osterat's Mind
Rolling 1d100 against 1d10: 22 VS 2
Quote from:  Determining the Osterat's Reaction
Rolling 1d20+4: 13

For a mortal, his mind is strong, an ironclad fortress of will even, but against the effort of a god no matter how amateurish and clumsy it may be, it soon crumbles. The mortal collapses to his knees, and in the span of some ten seconds his flooded with knowledge of all that you are, visions of the godly realm beyond, and the most profound thirst to learn more, the echoes of which are no-doubt destined to linger for all the days of his life. However, he soon rises to his feet, shuddering and spasming in the aftermath of glory's gaze, but nonetheless he stands and stares into your visage with eyes no less fiery than the flames they witness. The two of you remain in that chamber for almost a minute before you deign to speak and this time, it is with a gentle, forgiving tone.

"Mortal, that is all that I am and that is what I offer to your people. Do you understand now?"

He closes his eyes, silent tears streaming at the memory and nods his head. "I see now that ye could be no spawn of Dhiruer, but yer an Idol all the same... 'Tis a shame I cain't bring myself to care." This time he kneels and bows his head, though it is through respect, not reverence that he is brought to submit. There is no worship here, but there is a deepseated fear and childlike awe at your power that with a proper push, could become something worthwhile. You allow him to remain in his posture for some time before he wipes his his face, ascends once again, and lifts his eyes skyward once more.

"I cain't promise ye I'll be a damned cultist, but here ye've got to take all the hope ye can get. That clan was a buncha cutthroat bastards anyway... Eroth, what would ye have me do?"

The Osterat Ulur has pledged to follow you!

Not quite as satisfactory a result as it could be, but excellent all the same.

A) "Receive my blessing as my prophet, and thus empowered, go forth and enlighten the people!" [Specify]
B) "Return to your clan, and beseech them to come and see the mysteries of the spring themselves."
C) "Find the clan which you wished to raid, and reveal unto them the one and only truth as told by Eroth."
D) Say and do something else instead. [Specify]

Spoiler:  Known Planes (click to show/hide)

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2019, 07:42:24 pm »

D Start Wandering with him. AS we Walk we Look for Desperate people and He can explain this world to us.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2019, 07:52:11 pm »

D Have a nice chat about the peoples of this world, their views on gods, and what approach might work better in the future (since we nearly whiffed this one).

After we forbore to read more than the surface history directly out of their minds, there remains much to Discover about these folk. Let's share ideas on how We can better meet their needs.

Fakeedit: Yeah, we can do that while walking and exploring.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2019, 07:53:14 pm »

D Start Wandering with him. AS we Walk we Look for Desperate people and He can explain this world to us.
I agree with this.

We should probably take upon a more... mortal-friendly appearance, though.

PRE-POST EDIT (mushroom's post went up between me starting this and me posting it):
D Have a nice chat about the peoples of this world, their views on gods, and what approach might work better in the future (since we nearly whiffed this one).

After we forbore to read more than the surface history directly out of their minds, there remains much to Discover about these folk. Let's share ideas on how We can better meet their needs.

I'm good with this.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2019, 08:14:21 pm »

I agree with this.

PRE-POST EDIT (mushroom's post went up between me starting this and me posting it):

I'm good with this.
+1 to the combined plan

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2019, 10:26:17 pm »

I agree with this.

I'm good with this.
+1 to the combined plan

+1 to this increasingly complex quote pyramid.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Tube Wizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2019, 11:05:34 pm »

Flapping your wings in contemplation, you sigh and speak once again. "Come, let us walk." The door leading to the outside flies open and as you touch your talons to the ground your form shimmers, flickering into a chiseled paragon of physicality, though of a sort he has never before seen. You notice that though he is bewildered by the sight of your true nature, he holds his tongue and exits the structure without complaint. Pausing to fold your wings behind yourself, you follow and are pleasantly surprised and mildly disturbed in equal measure to find that despite the diminutive height and scrawny, malnourished build of the Osterat the entrances to the ruins are built to accommodate those much larger.

As you meander through the shattered citadel, being careful to direct your follower away from the invisible energy fields you discuss the peoples of his world, their views on the gods, and what sort of approach he thinks might work better in future. He knows little beyond the basics but he's surprisingly forthcoming with answers to the questions you pose.

- According to the mortal, whose name your learn is Urul, the Osterat were once powerful and cunning paragons who reigned over a sophisticated empire. Though you were already aware of this, you're slightly surprised to hear that their dominion extended across many planes and was built on the backs of countless slaves, whose labor they used to erect great monoliths to their glory that were destroyed, and set their mystic spires into place, which were melted and rendered powerless. He claims that before amassing their empire they evolved naturally, free from the influence of any god and take great pride in the fact even now.
- In the expansion of their empire, the 'gestalt avatar of their wise men's power' overthrew several minor deities and absorbed them to gain their strength. After bringing a dozen realms to heel, it seemed they couldn't be stopped before the treacherous and sinister Dhiruer, God of Knowledge, Sorrow, and Pestilence insulted them by demanding that they trade the secret of their spire's formation and allow his priests to evangelize in their lands in exchange for access to his afterlife and one-sided trading rights. These dignitaries were executed in such a way that their souls were rendered unto oblivion, and after the fourth death without a definitive response, the deity declared war. Supposedly the realms under Dhiruer's sway were less numerous but with divine backing and the help of many prophet-led slave revolts, the deity managed to gain the upper hand and in a century's time, conquered them and devoured their avatar in a swarm of vermin.
- The ancestors of the Osterat were then humbled in the most total way possible, and when the devastation was complete Dhiruer threw the realm as far into the void as his power could fling it, so that it would crash on the outskirts of creation, isolated enough that it could never again rebuild its empire. Because of this, the loss of their knowledge, ruination of their realm, and forced devolution their outlook on divine entities has moved from pragmatic atheism to murderous hate, and the closest thing they have to a holiday is the ritual torture and consumption of vermin during the rare occasion that their last remaining moon is both in a new moon and obscured by the shattered ring of what was once its twin. Likewise, their culture shames sadness as dishonorable and encourages the depressed to bury their sorrow in rage. You get the impression that they still hold a significant grudge towards Dhiruer.
- Urul explains that the Osterat have descended into a primitive stone age augmented by what little artifacts remain of their previous civilization, because while they retain the knowledge of metallurgy, their divine foe made sure to slowly and brutally strip mine the reality before throwing it aside. Allegedly, the state of the world outside of the ruins was ushered in by methodically forcing unnaturally severe famine and pollution over the course of several centuries. The soil is depleted and drained of moisture to the point that permanent settlement is effectively impossible outside of a handful of sheltered fortress-towns that change hands almost annually. You get the impression that the grudge between the mortals and the deity is, or at least was mutual.
- When you ask how he thinks you should best go about bringing the Osterat clans around to your way of thinking, he has the following to say: His people are paranoid to a fault and doubly so in the presence of anything overtly supernatural, so you should attempt more subtle miracles than the mystic spring. They have an almost rabid hatred for anything divine, to the extent that he can barely bring himself to trust in your intentions even after experiencing them firsthand. Apologizing for his mistrust, he suggests that having an Osterat speak and do miracles in your name might smooth things over. Lastly, despite the bloodlust that's become the norm among them, each and every mortal is obsessed with regaining the glory of the past, and he's convinced that if you promise that and prove you can deliver, throngs will flock to hear the message of Eroth, as nebulous and ill-defined as it currently is.

Good to know, good to know.

How has your opinion of the situation changed with this information?

A) Your disdain for Dhiruer burns even brighter now that you've uncovered the scale of his petty spite and sickening lust for power that matches your curiosity.
B) Your disdain for Dhiruer has grown to include the Osterat, because heedless of their current state, they brought it on themselves by murdering his dignitaries.
C) Your disdain for Dhiruer has grown to include the Osterat, because heedless of their current state, they brought it on themselves by building their empire's foundation on brutality.
D) Your disdain for Dhiruer has lessened, as despite his malice his actions were justified, but you've begun to disdain the Osterat for their horrendous past.
E) Your disdain for Dhiruer has lessened, as despite his malice his actions were justified, but you don't disdain the Osterat anymore than before, since their actions are not those of their ancestors.
F) You have another, more nuanced and enlightened opinion. [Specify]

What do you plan to do next?

A) Declare this mortal to be your prophet, and bless him with the power to bring your message to the peoples. [Specify]
B) Find the clan which the mortal hails from, and seek to bring them into the fold before the raiding party arrives with a distressing report.
C) Discover the location of the cookfire-makers the band was seeking to raid, and enlighten them with your thirst for deeper understanding.
D) Undertake another, far more intelligent plan. [Specify]

Spoiler:  Known Planes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 11:08:08 pm by Tube Wizard »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2019, 11:23:02 pm »

First one:
Disdain for Dhiruer has not gone anywhere. It doesn't matter if their actions were justified or not; a god of pestilence and sorrow was not going to be doing anybody any favors to begin with.
There is no disdain for the current Osterat. There's pity for them and their current state. If there's any left over from the original events, however...
There is disdain for the old Osterat. Their brutality makes them worthy of it. The murdering of Dhiruer's messengers... the murder part is bad, but Dhiruer was also a prick not worth dealing with.

I'll leave part 2 to others.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2019, 11:23:46 pm »

1. A - A god of knowledge like this Dhiruer is far too spiteful. Dooming an entire race to this unending hell creates nothing of value, and is just sadistic, well past the point of any justice.

2. A - let's get ourselves a prophet.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2019, 02:45:41 am »

1. A - A god of knowledge like this Dhiruer is far too spiteful. Dooming an entire race to this unending hell creates nothing of value, and is just sadistic, well past the point of any justice.

2. A - let's get ourselves a prophet.

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2019, 03:41:46 am »

A,A
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11