Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 79

Author Topic: FEF: Final Hour 2 IC thread. Chapter 2: Remnants of the Past.  (Read 53292 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: FEF: Final Hour 2 IC thread. Prologue: Right Person at the Wrong Place.
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2018, 08:53:06 pm »

"Um-"
Clara leaned back as Ismo leaned forward, mainly to avoid impalement on his sharp-looking hat thing. Visor? Forehead protector?
"W-Well, if you can not excel at one thing, you must learn to have a range of strengths. My mother is a swordswoman and my father is a priest, so I had plenty of access to teaching for both."

Vigdis leaned forward with interest at Clara's bit of light magic.
"We will have to compare notes at some point. Light magic was among my studies at one point, and I have been told I have a fair amount of magical potential, but still have yet to do anything practical with it." It had been best to focus on what she already knew, particularly with how tumultuous her life had been as she grew older.
"Oh! Of course, it would be my pleasure. I must admit I am surprised - you did not look like the type to utilise magic. "
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2018, 09:25:52 pm »

"Oh, so you're trying to take after both of your parents?"

"I'm... not really taking after either. My father... well, he was a general. I have no talent for lances and axes, and I don't have the same physical strength to wear the same kind of armor he did into combat."

There was a slight, subtle emphasis on the word 'was'.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:58:42 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #182 on: December 08, 2018, 09:32:14 pm »

Vigdis almost winced at the discussion of parentage. She elected to keep the information about her own father to herself for the time being, though she mentally noted a point of commonality with William.
"Well, that may be the problem. I have been told that I have a soldier's mentality, and that such a thing does not necessarily lend itself to magical skill. Whether that is correct or not is yet to be seen, but I have no intention of giving up for that reason."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 09, 2018, 12:41:12 am »

While it wasn't visible, Ismo raised an eyebrow at Clara's response.
"Oh? Being resourceful is indeed a good thing, and at least now I can see why you have interest on those two specific techniques."
The spy pressed the egg against his chest to be able to move a hand under his chin to ponder for a moment.
  "But if your parents are both a priest and a swordsman, I am sure you are wealthy, aren't you? It is...Interesting that you would want to risk your life in the slums in hopes of getting a lead to this treasure. Are they even aware you are wandering around here?"
Soon enough his attention returned to both William and Vidgis, giving them a brief nod of approval.
"Good. The only laws that truly matter around here are the 'laws' applied by the gangs and dealers, so as long as we have a proper trade going they won't question visitors."
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 12:48:19 am by Praefectus Screptum »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 09, 2018, 10:17:02 am »

"Meanwhile, here I am doing basically the same thing Mother did... although I'm only using fire instead of lightning because she never really bothered with other tomes." Amber said with a humorous grin. "I don't know about you guys, but I don't really care about the monetary value of the treasure. I'm mostly here for the fact it's something so old! It's going to be super interesting to see something from that time, before detailed records existed."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 09, 2018, 07:21:29 pm »

"Oh, so you're trying to take after both of your parents?"

"I'm... not really taking after either. My father... well, he was a general. I have no talent for lances and axes, and I don't have the same physical strength to wear the same kind of armor he did into combat."

There was a slightly, subtle emphasis on the word 'was'.
"I suppose I am trying to take after them. I cannot help but feel I have a very long way to go, however..."
She hesitated a moment. The name and the father being a general...
"If I may ask, what of your mother? What did she do? "

Vigdis almost winced at the discussion of parentage. She elected to keep the information about her own father to herself for the time being, though she mentally noted a point of commonality with William.
"Well, that may be the problem. I have been told that I have a soldier's mentality, and that such a thing does not necessarily lend itself to magical skill. Whether that is correct or not is yet to be seen, but I have no intention of giving up for that reason."

"I am sure that with practice, it will come. I would be happy to practice with you if you wish."

While it wasn't visible, Ismo raised an eyebrow at Clara's response.
"Oh? Being resourceful is indeed a good thing, and at least now I can see why you have interest on those two specific techniques."
The spy pressed the egg against his chest to be able to move a hand under his chin to ponder for a moment.
  "But if your parents are both a priest and a swordsman, I am sure you are wealthy, aren't you? It is...Interesting that you would want to risk your life in the slums in hopes of getting a lead to this treasure. Are they even aware you are wandering around here?"

"Wealthy? I suppose... I have never needed to go hungry, or lacked for things I required, but neither of my parents are one for excess. But I am not here for treasure itself, as such."
Clara looked aside.
"It- it might sound a bit, well, silly, but I guess I am here for- well, an adventure. A way to really... push myself and grow."
She paused for a moment.
"And I did not run away, if that is what you are asking. My parents allowed me to go. It is not like they had no had escapades when they were younger, and they had come out stronger for it."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 09, 2018, 08:48:28 pm »

"If I may ask, what of your mother? What did she do? "

William faltered for a second.

She made her money and skipped out on us and our father and then came back to ruin our lives.

If it wasn't for that fucking whore he would still be around. Hell, she didn't even have the decency to see us, just dumped us on her brother - who, I might note, was pretty quick to take Dad's old job - and fucked off with her boytoy who was barely even twice our age at the time. Fucking Rose family, all they ever did was profit off us.

...You're not wrong. I can't say that, but you're... not wrong.

He clenched his fists until the anger subsided. He didn't hate his mother. He did not. All of that was the shadow's thoughts and feelings. But... he couldn't deny a little resentment at the way things had turned out. After he collected himself, he sighed and answered.

"...I can't say for sure. I've never met her. My father always said his wife died during while having me."

Look at you. Nice little white lie there. You know she's going to notice that, even if she doesn't say anything. People with glasses, they're always smart.

The shadow, standing slightly behind Clara, tapped her temple as if to emphasize her brain.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2018, 06:18:55 pm »

Clara looked around a tad unsurely as the man seemed to hold an internal conversation, shutting his eyes and clenching his fists.
"..."
"..."
Finally, William spoke, eyes still shut.
"I-I see," she said awkwardly when he finally replied, his tone telling her there was clearly more to it than what he said. "My, er, my sympathies."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 10, 2018, 06:54:57 pm »

William nodded.

"I wish I had known her; my father loved her a lot. But then I wish a lot of things had turned out differently."

"Apologies, it's just... difficult to speak of. It's not a thing I like to think about."

But we do. But we do.

Far too trusting of you, telling them you're an Argent. As soon as they realize what that name means they'll drop you just like everyone else did. It'll just be you and me again.

Maybe... but I'm tired of hiding from the world. I've got to try, don't I?

...Yeah.

If all else fails you can make them accept you for who you are. No backing down on this. That's a man's promise.

Yeah. It is.

William finally looked up, having been lost in thought for a few moments, and deflected the conversation to Amber.

"You said Hirana? Isn't that the name of the famous scholar in Kizamo?"

Praefectus Screptum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 10, 2018, 07:04:58 pm »

The spy tilted his head in response to her words, mostly curious at her answer.
"Hmm. Not wealthy and yet not here for the treasure, just what exactly you seek?"
Her explanation still left him staring at her in silence for a bit, as if trying to understand what is the point of risking her life without gaining anything in exchange, "adventure" wasn't exactly something in his books.
"...Adventure."
He had to repeat it himself as if still trying to figure out the puzzle Clara unintentionally brought on his hands. But he snapped out of it when she answered his last question and just...Glanced away for a moment.
"Right. This is certainly unusual, considering these...'Adventurers' normally escape from the comfort of their home seeking something. Especially fame and fortune."
He still intended to ask her a few more questions, but it was pretty much impossible to ignore the fact William seemed to be distracted with something else, and while he wasn't completely sure what was bothering him...It was something worth asking about another time.
"Mm. This might be something worth taking note of."
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:33:33 am by Praefectus Screptum »

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 10, 2018, 07:49:15 pm »

Astera had been quietly listening, doing their best to understand all the words being thrown around (and probably only understanding about half of it) but finally decided to speak up.

"Am sorry you not know mother. Family important. Help to shape who you are. But knowing one parent better than knowing none."

They reached out and gave Will a pat on the shoulder and gave what they hoped was an encouraging smile.

"You just have to try and make family proud, even if not around them anymore. Is what I try and do. Well, most days."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 10, 2018, 08:00:12 pm »

William gave a small smile in response. The thief seemed well-meaning and mostly honest, at least.

"That's what I think, too. I'm trying to be a warrior my father would be proud of, and bring honor back to the family name."

Swordstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 10, 2018, 08:06:04 pm »

"Good! Am sure father proud already, but must keep going of course. Never time to stop trying. Only death cause that."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 10, 2018, 08:09:27 pm »

He nodded.

"I hope he will be by the time we've found this treasure, but I haven't spoken to him for... twenty years, now."

It wasn't by choice. Not really. He... probably could have visited him in jail, but he wasn't worthy to face his father yet, and seeing him locked away like some petty criminal was... difficult to do.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #194 on: December 10, 2018, 11:24:50 pm »

Vigdis stayed quiet for a bit longer. She was conflicted on the matter of her own father. There was, however, something she could agree with.

"I suppose we seek similar goals. I would like to reclaim my family's name from the gutter of dishonor someday."
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 79