Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 59

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 4: We're Done Here  (Read 92694 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 4: Day 2: The World Falls Over (12/12)
« Reply #420 on: September 27, 2018, 02:49:02 pm »

Allow me to explain this to you with a metaphor.

You've got this huge rave party machine blasting out at you, and you want it to stop.  You can either go tape up all the lights and unplug the speakers, or unplug the machine's power cord.  What would you do in this situation?  My choice is to go for the power cord.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 27, 2018, 03:03:08 pm »

Ok, going back from the beginning, so this'll be sort of stream-of-consciousness.

I have a post restriction where I have to call out stupid people, but it's self-imposed.
*chortles*
I submitted your mom, so that's why my role is huge.
"Hello officer?  I think I just witnessed a murder."
I highly doubt you would, because ultimately, you know I'm the single greatest asset in this game, even if I were scum because, and low and behold as I sneak in the ultimate point, I actually contribute to the game. Sit and breathe the same air as me, peasant, as I bestow upon you the point of everything: Turns out that trying helps.
Stahp.  I can only get so hard.

Maximum Spin:
I find it hilarious that nobody else thinks webadict is doing this on purpose.
I think that many of the players in the game don't realize that webadict has more experience than all of us combined.
You're dead, but this isn't a question, so I'll let it stay.

Caz:
You are way too focused on the money aspect of the game imo. Maybe that it because of your role being focused on it, whatever. Maybe it's because you're scum.
Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't "money" one of the two major themes of the game?  Why is focusing on a major aspect of the game not desirable?

Teneb:
But I have privileged information on Perses and would like them to post more. A whole lot more.
What happened to this?
I don't know his alignment, but I do know what his role is about: getting power through lurking.
Oh.  Is ... that a joke?
Nevermind.  So do you feel knowing that rolename is worth pressing him about it?
As an addendum since otherwise I'll be called a liar: the power that lets me know Persus' role name also has a clause that it will not appear on the death post (also applies to my own flip). I'm not too worried since his role name will still appear just fine, but might as well mention this. Pretty sure the clause is there to prevent revealing the other's role by simply dying.
Can you clarify that?  What exactly isn't showing up: your and Persus' role names, or the power you used?

TheBiggerFish:
(As for why I'm not, I don't know if anyone would actually follow me in that, being as there's already webadict arguing to policy-lynch me.)
Woah woah woah.  If you think you've got a valid reason to them, then you vote them.  If you want people to vote your target as well then you give them a good goddamn reason to do it. 

IcyTea31:
Pure sodium chloride. Webadict is taking such a personal stake in trying to catch scum that only a true psychopath could fake it. And to my knowledge, webadict isn't one. Even though there's the fact that I'm not scum, webadict is investing so much emotional energy in the game that it's hard not to read which side he's on.
Oh, I don't believe that at all.  I could easily believe that webadict would do the very same thing as scum.  Strong activity is a lean toward town, but do you not think that scum would be aware of that as well?

webadict:
If you vow to lynch me, you'd have to admit it's because lurking is inherently anti-Town. So, then I guess it is scummy, right? But, then you're justification falls flat.
So what is your take on the reveal of Persus13's role name?
By the way, I know you don't have a posting restriction. You can stop now and participate.
And how do you know that?

Also, what is your take on the whole Maximum Spin and Sheldon thing from D1 now?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 27, 2018, 03:20:10 pm »

Allow me to explain this to you with a metaphor.

You've got this huge rave party machine blasting out at you, and you want it to stop.  You can either go tape up all the lights and unplug the speakers, or unplug the machine's power cord.  What would you do in this situation?  My choice is to go for the power cord.
Let me answer your metaphor with a dose of reality, because I always hated poetry. You say that you think the scum's likely plan is to allow everyone to get distracted and let the town fight among themselves over Tric. Based on this assertion, what you should be doing is either looking for people who are constantly talking about how Tric needs to be lynched because he's so distracting, or people who are avoiding discussing Tric at all so that Tric flipping town wouldn't reflect poorly on them. Instead, you're voting for Tric and effectively ignoring what everyone else is doing, exactly what you say you think scum want people doing.

So either you're town who is knowingly cooperating with that they think is the scumteam's plan or you're scum who (to fall back to metaphor) has decided that the best plan is to shout "Gee, wouldn't it be awful if the Empire were building a Death Star" to distract people from the fact that the Empire is building a Death Star. Either way, I fail to see how you being alive helps us any more that Tric is.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 27, 2018, 03:21:14 pm »

Literally don't care anymore. Wake me up when it's day3.

Caz has literally thrown off day 2 with this post. I am not getting anything from voting him, because he has just said he's done with today.

As for Persus, Unvote. He's posted, which means the charge isn't charging.

Now, how goes your Private Chat you two?

Ninjas

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 27, 2018, 03:27:21 pm »

Teneb:
Alright, so TricMagic: Shall you continue to be cryptic and obtuse, acting in an anti-town manner?
TricMagic is definitely anti town, but what makes him scum?
You referenced it here, but...
TricMagic:
Why do you keep referencing TBF?

The Lie is proven False by that very order. Also, you may note that Persus seems to be trying to get another Lurk-Charge, as he has yet to post today either. How about in the QuickTopic?
Why do you care so much about what my role can and can not do? Its like half your posts. Wouldn't it be better for you to actually try to find scum?
... he keep obsessing with what a role can or cannot do. When pressed for explanations on things, he just makes obscure references, talks nonsense and uses circular logic. He keeps going with the most popular vote until he turns out to be said vote and appears to either lack reading comprehension or is being deliberately dense (example: I have outright claimed I need to talk about certain things, like his interactions with TBF and The fittingness of Destroid's song Annihilate in the final boss battle of Just Shapes and Beats and how it relates to what might happen today (which, personally, I think it has no fittingness at all), yet he keeps acting mystified).

Even if he isn't somehow scum, he's still anti-town. And anti-town, as the name implies, is detrimental to the town's wincon.

Fun. You do know that referencing your Chat-partner's posts to make your own point is not bright right?

As of right now, I wouldn't be surprised if one of you, if not both, are anti-town. You complain about me not reading posts, but what I see is you not reading what I say. Also, the Lie is a Lie is a good indicator in Mafia. Classic choice of who is the Lier.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 27, 2018, 03:35:18 pm »

Teneb:
But I have privileged information on Perses and would like them to post more. A whole lot more.
What happened to this?
I don't know his alignment, but I do know what his role is about: getting power through lurking.

Believe me, I quoted those too. I'm wonderingcurious how a reveal of that point leads to mutual protection. What is going on in their private chat?
Oh.  Is ... that a joke?
Nevermind.  So do you feel knowing that rolename is worth pressing him about it?
As an addendum since otherwise I'll be called a liar: the power that lets me know Persus' role name also has a clause that it will not appear on the death post (also applies to my own flip). I'm not too worried since his role name will still appear just fine, but might as well mention this. Pretty sure the clause is there to prevent revealing the other's role by simply dying.
Can you clarify that?  What exactly isn't showing up: your and Persus' role names, or the power you used?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 27, 2018, 03:35:38 pm »

Quote from: Sheldon
Look, at the end of the day it comes down to information. If one'a Teneb or Persus flips scum, you know to kill the other one. If one of them flips town, you have good reason not to kill the other one. If you kill TricMagic, who the hell cares what result you get? I mean, if it's scum, okay, great, but it still doesn't tell you where to go from there. For now, this is the best lead I have for you. And town's already one vote behind, hem hem, so I am really going to have to strongly recommend you rally on this one. I am going to be pissed if you all ignore my ghoooooooostly warnings and lose.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 27, 2018, 03:42:16 pm »

Right, somehow, my post was cut-off. Bad coding..

Teneb:
What happened to this?

Oh.  Is ... that a joke?

Believe me, I quoted those too. I'm wonderingcurious how a reveal of that point leads to mutual protection. What is going on in their private chat?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 27, 2018, 03:55:09 pm »

I felt it was worth pressuring him about it because it would give me an opportunity to get a read on him and force him to respond (thus not lurking and not gaining any benefits his rolename implies). It also let me see how others would react to that move, as can be seen in TricMagic's... creative logic.

I, and Persus, have a passive power that tells us the name of the other's role, grants us access to the Useless Topic and will also be redacted from roleflips.

As for Persus, Unvote. He's posted, which means the charge isn't charging.
Excuse me, would you care to explain how you got such info on Persus role, presumably? Are you two scumbuddies and you are just flipping out and revealing him?

What the fuck are you on? I never even remotely implied it was for mutual protection. I don't care for Persus' protection because I don't know if he's scum, town or even something else. I was pursuing an avenue of scumhunting. I don't mind exposing myself while doing so. Hell, go back and read other games. Go back and read the King of the Mafia that I won to see me at my best. I don't play safe when I am able to disrupt the safe and steady play of the opposite team(s), like scum (such as you!) in this case.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 27, 2018, 04:00:52 pm »

.... You are trying. The thing about Lurk-charges is just a deduction. I does not take a leap of logic to see he needs to lurk to gain power..

I'm not even going to recomment on that protection denial though.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 27, 2018, 04:54:29 pm »

Oh, I don't believe that at all.  I could easily believe that webadict would do the very same thing as scum.  Strong activity is a lean toward town, but do you not think that scum would be aware of that as well?
A salty person's nuances and emotions are easy to read even through text, especially when you're the target of the salt, and my intuition-based (i.e. not logic-based) read points toward town. I'm not referring to any specific towntell like high activity, but rather the whole of webadict's presence during his case against me.

Ockham's Razor: either webadict is a frustrated townie whose alignment bleeds through along with emotion in his frustration, or he is the most audacious psychopath I've ever met to be able to fake his emotions to such a degree. (Granted, I haven't met very many audacious psychopaths.)
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 27, 2018, 05:04:00 pm »

Teneb
Just because MS is confirmed town now doesn't mean he instantly knows the alignment of everyone or is being reproach. He claims that either Persus or I or both are liars, except both I AND Persus can confirm that we did get a "Sheldon" on our useless privat chat of uselessness. Sure, we could be scumbuddies making it all up, but then why the actual fuck would I reveal his very descriptive role name on DAY ONE, which is even more moronic than a mass claim on D1 in a BYOR where role fuckery is probably involved.
Not to piss in your popcorn (ok, maybe I am a little), but the very last game run here had either everyone or practically everyone be a death miller of some flavor.  Also, possibly just spitballing, but his flip has an ability with "cult" in the name, and it talks about alignment changes being a possibility. 

Deus Asmoth:
Oh, I see. Your answer to someone that you think is a distraction is to do nothing besides vote for them until they're dead and ignore everything else. Good job. At not getting distracted.
webadict feels the same way about TheBiggerFish.  Did you call him out on that? 

Now, the irony of TBF addressing this point is not lost on me, but I generally agree with that view.  Even if a player isn't scum by role, their actions can still be anti-town, and detract from town winning the game.  A town player's scumhunting could be derailed, and scum could take advantage of the brouhaha the disruptive player is making.

TricMagic:
Caz has literally thrown off day 2 with this post. I am not getting anything from voting him, because he has just said he's done with today.
So a player has just called out that they're going to be no or low participation for the next day intentionally.  Do you find that scummy or not?  If yes, what will you do about it?

IcyTea31:
A salty person's nuances and emotions are easy to read even through text, especially when you're the target of the salt, and my intuition-based (i.e. not logic-based) read points toward town. I'm not referring to any specific towntell like high activity, but rather the whole of webadict's presence during his case against me.

Ockham's Razor: either webadict is a frustrated townie whose alignment bleeds through along with emotion in his frustration, or he is the most audacious psychopath I've ever met to be able to fake his emotions to such a degree. (Granted, I haven't met very many audacious psychopaths.)
Have you played with webadict before or read any games he played in?  More recently the better.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 27, 2018, 05:22:39 pm »

Piratejoe: Have you decided on an initial strategy yet? Is it of the kind that works best when held secret?

Who tf is piratejoe?

And nah I still want the waffles again. Waffles <3

Though someone will probably outbid me as you said -__-

What is this post? What Does "No." mean? Why do you dislike me enough to vote me? Why are you the Second Vote?

Are you for real? I've been trying to get others to be onboard with lynching you for most of the game FFS. DO YOU EVER BOTHER READING THIS THREAD????

The "No" is because apart from clearing Maximum Spin (and wasting most of his role usefulness) we are practically in RVS again and it's all the same shit of half the players being MIA/replacing/activelurking and holy shit it is getting tedious.

$10 on waffle. only the waffle would cheer me up at this point. i hope it's not a time-cursed waffle that disappears due to the groundhog day nature of the day though.

I'm all for seeing him gone, that straight 50$ bid is suspicious, but if he's not commenting, best see to others first. Like the Persus13/Teneb Pair. Either both are town, 1 of them is mafia/anti-town, or they both are. 2 out of 3, and we have Sheldon to speak.

I can go grab the post that has the confirm of the Useless Chat, as they call it, but what's the point. It's there, and he says it's not protection. No chat is useless.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 27, 2018, 06:06:17 pm »

Oh goodie. I take a break and the page gets filled with activity.

Wait, that sounded sarcastic. This is good.

heydude6, you're Town, correct?

Also, I super secretly bid $16+16. Or maybe I don't.

Have you played with webadict before or read any games he played in?  More recently the better.
I feel like you're the only one that gives me the credit I'm due. I didn't want to argue with it, but I'm actually in agreement with you for the most part. Typically, my greatest flaw isn't that I can't emotionally tie my feelings into my argument. It's that I have a failure of continually doing so genuinely because I don't have any when I'm scum.

But, I do appreciate that someone is actually finding me a viable threat.

I'm all for seeing him gone, that straight 50$ bid is suspicious, but if he's not commenting, best see to others first. Like the Persus13/Teneb Pair. Either both are town, 1 of them is mafia/anti-town, or they both are. 2 out of 3, and we have Sheldon to speak.

I can go grab the post that has the confirm of the Useless Chat, as they call it, but what's the point. It's there, and he says it's not protection. No chat is useless.
You're going after the wrong horse, Buck-o. I am actually in super agreement with TheBiggerFish here (which is weird to say, but he's not doing too badly), but you're being incredibly anti-Town. Your arguments aren't doing due justice here.

webadict:
If you vow to lynch me, you'd have to admit it's because lurking is inherently anti-Town. So, then I guess it is scummy, right? But, then you're justification falls flat.
So what is your take on the reveal of Persus13's role name?
By the way, I know you don't have a posting restriction. You can stop now and participate.
And how do you know that?

Also, what is your take on the whole Maximum Spin and Sheldon thing from D1 now?
Persus' role is probably anti-Town. His alignment... is also probably anti-Town, but not because of the role.

I also know he has no posting restriction because there have been 3 posts made that don't have rhymes. Now, it's entirely possible that there's a system in place to allow certain actions based on rhyming posts, but he's not forced to post in rhyme.

Maximum Spin was entirely anti-Town. I attempted to provide him multiple chances to work with the Town in order to save himself. I am seriously hoping that he doesn't revive himself because he would be of equal unhelpfulness. Even now, I'm only 66% sure he was Town, and I've seen the roleflip. He was just THAT anti-Town. After the game is done, I'm planning to make sure he was actually Town.

His play made no sense, and his rationale was terribad.

TBF: As far as I can tell, in the last 200 posts of this game as a whole, your only contributions have been joining the Maximum Spin wagon and a lot of reactionary quips (PPE: and joining the Tric wagon, again with no explanation). Do you feel like you're being a valuable asset to the town right now?
Perhaps you missed it, but the Day actually ended yesterday. You can stop random voting, Deus Asmoth Deus Asmoth. You've been pretty lowkey this game, haven't you?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 27, 2018, 06:14:38 pm »

FoU: If we want to bid a different amount, but we've already bid, do we need to announce it again?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 59