Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21740 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game [Recruiting]
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2018, 12:38:07 pm »

Hold on. We were told that there are no hidden rules. The exact wording implies that humans can join you provided that you do not ask them to.

"Anything else you do to the block is legal, except asking another human to enter the race. You have the whole academy's resources available to you. The path to the professors' offices are to the back of the hall,"

You can't be blamed for someone else's actions. If they affect the test without being asked, they are not participating but rather interfering.

I meanwhile, am planning on a self-propagating spell. Which honestly falls under a Tempestry Igniton-OR-Artifice mix. eh.

To note, I have quite a bit of knowledge on Energy from Spell training, so it should be impossible to build an elemental body if he says no.

{Put it this way, either I can't go that route and just use my spellwork, or I can and the Spirit races for me. In which case I'll need to teach it a spell or two to use.

Constructing a body out of the stone will require two tasks:
1) Carving the stone into the shape of a body. The difficult is 3xLv2, for the head, torso, and limbs. (+1 Masterwork -- it is very easy to improve on a poorly crafted body)
2) Slicing the joints to allow telekinetic manipulation. This is delicate work. It is a Lv.5 task. (+3 Masterwork)

Note that if you mess up you might damage the marble. That's why the levels seem so low.

How difficult would it be to make a jamming ignition to create a lot of magical noise to simulate the conditions of the exam, for the purpose of testing the vehicles? How difficult would it be to shut such an ignition down? Would it be possible to key it to only affect a very focused area, such as only the caster's track, so as to avoid disrupting others' practice and testing? While it would be poor sportsmanship to do so, do the exam's rules forbid jamming other prospects on purpose?

I'd also like feedback on the initial design I posted in the IC thread.

I'm going to post Artifice 'design evaluations' in this thread from now on. I thought it would be annoying to juggle two threads, but cluttering the IC thread is proving to me more trouble.

Cutting it into a disc is child's play. (2xLv1) (+1 Masterwork -- masterwork will reduce weight)

Levitation is a quintessential spell; tagging it onto an ignition shouldn't draw too much energy from the spell itself. Whenever crafting a spell like this, however, you know that there is always a balance between how much energy the spell expends toward propagating itself, and how much it spends fulfilling its purpose. The more powerful the spell, the shorter-lived. You come up with a rough estimate.

Wind Column (Degree x 1 minute): A patch of area on a surface pushes away all obstructions. It can be used to make objects float, but it can also be used to make the floor itself repel objects.

With the spirits, you have what is essentially a pack of children to work with. The only way to find out if they're capable or not is to get them together and see how quickly they grasp it. Each rehearsal will probably take 5-15 minutes depending on what you are trying to rehearse (full run, a burst of speed, etc). The chief defining factor is most likely the purpose you call them for, that will determine their willingness to push your disc around.

As for a jamming ignition:

Symphony of Noise (Permanent): Spews out a signal equal to the degrees of success you got when creating it.
Anti-Symphony of Noise (Permanent): Weakens the above by an amount equal to the degrees of success.

Anyone else, let me know if I missed your question.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 01:33:09 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2018, 12:44:25 pm »

*~---!

Perhaps, transmutation of stone to air and wind?

"If I may ask, are aligned with any particular element? I may just be able to craft an elemental body with a core of light and mist to absorb material for energy. I myself am contracted to Wind and Lightning from my home, Sylva lucus Vita."

Think about the mechanics involved in creation of a body. I have an excellent material in this stone to work with for the few bits of earth I may need. And Wind and Lightning is in abundance within me, Wind more so..

There was that strange water Ice snake. So an elemental body is an idea. So a Wind-Lightning body, with a crystal core as the Heart, which absorbs material into energy.

It's more tempestry, which is something I can do. Only need the stone for a few parts, mainly, transmutation into a simple spellholder for the work. That way I can build it.

Going to require stability, but it is doable at least. So long as this spirit doesn't have an elemental alignment already.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 12:48:47 pm by TricMagic »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2018, 01:22:03 pm »

*~---!

Perhaps, transmutation of stone to air and wind?

"If I may ask, are aligned with any particular element? I may just be able to craft an elemental body with a core of light and mist to absorb material for energy. I myself am contracted to Wind and Lightning from my home, Sylva lucus Vita."

Think about the mechanics involved in creation of a body. I have an excellent material in this stone to work with for the few bits of earth I may need. And Wind and Lightning is in abundance within me, Wind more so..

There was that strange water Ice snake. So an elemental body is an idea. So a Wind-Lightning body, with a crystal core as the Heart, which absorbs material into energy.

It's more tempestry, which is something I can do. Only need the stone for a few parts, mainly, transmutation into a simple spellholder for the work. That way I can build it.

Going to require stability, but it is doable at least. So long as this spirit doesn't have an elemental alignment already.

That sounds like the kind of bodies spirits use sometimes. A manifestation of spiritual power, perhaps, but it doesn't generate energy like a human body, which is what the spirit seems to be looking for.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2018, 03:11:11 pm »

Are the floor tiles of the track also red?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2018, 03:15:19 pm »

Are the floor tiles of the track also red?

The lines between the lanes are red on a grey tile floor. The tiles on the track are smoother than the normal tiles in the Flowering Hall, to the point where it would be difficult to stick a knife between the seams.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2018, 03:58:42 pm »

Okay, so I'll need some red paint as a backup plan.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2018, 04:53:38 pm »

Evaluating this here.

Quote from: Supernerd
She would measure the box on the ground and hollow the inside of the stone. It would be set up in such a way that the square could be placed inside the stone so that she would not be able to step outside of the square; and just to be safe she would use some of that stone to design shackles with which to ensure that her feet would not be lifted above the sqaure. She would also include a square indent on the bottom of the inside of the vehicle to ensure that the box kept its form, And she would use ignition to keep the box from being displaced...  For good measure, she would ask for some advice regarding the stability of the box before she messed with it. Probably freezing the ground prior to any actual attempt to move it.

So, a giant bathtub, basically?

To cut out the square painted on the ground, you'd have to make sure the tiles stick together and don't fall apart. They are tiles about the size of a human hand. Presumably they aren't think.
What sort of ignition are you thinking of to keep the square together?

The next step would be to make the vehicle more vehicle like with her artificiering abilities. She would create four wheels to place at the bottom of it, and she would create some "Fins" out of stone to help the block keep its balance. The box would be shortened to the point where she would be able to see while standing in the box without difficulty.

Box + wheels is the same as TBH's wheels and housing:
The wheels will be easy to form from the marble. Perfectly round cylinders of solid stone, each Lv1, for a total of Lv1x4 for them all. (No Masterwork)

The vehicle chassis itself likewise should be simple, depending on how much effort you are willing to devote to a one-off project. So much as hollowing it out and punching a couple of holes, you will need some tools, or some precise use of destructive magic. Lv2x2 most likely, for the axle, bushing, and housing. (+2 for Masterwork)

And just in case something went wrong, she would prepare a contingency plan using wavecraft, to create an external device that could turn the wheels of the vehicle. She was confident that her Tempestry wouldn't conk out during the race, but not so confident that she wouldn't be prepared for that eventuality.

This would probably be the most complex part of your plan, since turning the wheels would require an articulated joint setup. You probably don't want to make that out of stone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2018, 05:11:27 pm »

Well, if we're evaluating.

Tempestry to grind away most if not all of the stone so the crystal is held by a layer of the stone.

Carve an Artifice of Guidance into the stone and smooth the thing.

Infuse the leftover dust with my signature. Spread it along a mandala circle around me and the rest around the stone/Crystal. And I'm done.

All that's left is to cast the Sagitta spell. A simple solution.

What dimensions is the Crystal anyway?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2018, 05:33:19 pm »

I thought that the box was painted on dirt or something, so I was thinking about a spell to retain its shape. If they are on stone tiles, then its much easier and I can instead weld them onto the vehicle using tempestry; which would have a higher success rate.

I was thinking of more of a vertical design that Octavia can stand in, with only the top of it being open, and large fins that would prevent the vehicle from being tipped over. So more like a shower I guess?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2018, 05:36:39 pm »

Well, if we're evaluating.

Tempestry to grind away most if not all of the stone so the crystal is held by a layer of the stone.

Carve an Artifice of Guidance into the stone and smooth the thing.

Infuse the leftover dust with my signature. Spread it along a mandala circle around me and the rest around the stone/Crystal. And I'm done.

All that's left is to cast the Sagitta spell. A simple solution.

What dimensions is the Crystal anyway?

...I think you need to explain yourself more. I'm not understanding a word of it.

Like I'm all for having convenient terminology for patterns you are likely to use, but "infuse with signature," "Artifact of Guidance," "Sagitta spell" don't seem to come from the mechanics post.

The crystal is the size of a human head. Generally speaking, you use your artifice die for all artificing even if it involves tempestry, but it's a sort of grey area as to what counts as artificing and what counts as not. I think grinding away most of the stone would count as Tempestry, but in the future, note that really precise manipulation of stuff will use your artifice die.

I thought that the box was painted on dirt or something, so I was thinking about a spell to retain its shape. If they are on stone tiles, then its much easier and I can instead weld them onto the vehicle using tempestry; which would have a higher success rate.

I was thinking of more of a vertical design that Octavia can stand in, with only the top of it being open, and large fins that would prevent the vehicle from being tipped over. So more like a shower I guess?

What sort of spell are you looking for that sticks them together? A "stick together" spell is Ignition, not Tempestry. A "Come Apart" spell could be Tempestry, however.

Tempestry = Momentary things
Ignition = Lasting things
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:38:44 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2018, 05:42:16 pm »

I was thinking more along the lines of a blowtorch effect, melting the metamorphic stone so that the stone tiles with the box would be physically stuck within it with the painted side exposed to the air and facing upwards.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2018, 05:42:42 pm »

Just as well my spell won't be ending, with all the broadcast thieving.

Hey, that rhymes!

Well, I am going to use a spell for that. And Guidance is the engram I will create with the stone to guide a spell along the track.

Sagitta is literally Magic Arrow. And Infuse is using my energy to shift the dust to my alignment, so I don't have to fight for it as much during the test.

End result should be a self-guided missile, using the Engram in the stone to guide the spell, even when I no longer am connected to give Sagitta direction.

As a side note, the Guidance will end up using Artifice die to create it, since I'm programing the thing to direct the Magic without me being there.

I suppose the main draw is I have my own spirits to use for this sort of stuff.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 05:46:36 pm by TricMagic »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2018, 06:44:03 pm »

Just as well my spell won't be ending, with all the broadcast thieving.

Hey, that rhymes!

Well, I am going to use a spell for that. And Guidance is the engram I will create with the stone to guide a spell along the track.

Sagitta is literally Magic Arrow. And Infuse is using my energy to shift the dust to my alignment, so I don't have to fight for it as much during the test.

End result should be a self-guided missile, using the Engram in the stone to guide the spell, even when I no longer am connected to give Sagitta direction.

As a side note, the Guidance will end up using Artifice die to create it, since I'm programing the thing to direct the Magic without me being there.

I suppose the main draw is I have my own spirits to use for this sort of stuff.

Just to be clear, there is no such thing as "magical" energy. It's the same thing as energy in the real world. I.e. the ability to do work. When I refer to "magical energy" I refer to the energy in the mist itself, which is where the effects come from.
Spirits have a problem with this because they keep the same mist for their entire lives. It's their brain. So eventually it runs out of "charge" and they die out, unless they can replenish it.

I can understand the presence of Guidance. You have a Wind spirit. That means that the spirit can come up with things even if you don't know the actual details of magic.

You can use Artifice to make the crystal, but to program it you have to do it like any wavegear. It's a bit complicated so I will explain.
That being said, I can envision a crystal being designed, with Artifice, to playback the spell it was programmed with on repeat. So if you specifically build it that way you don't have to use wavecraft to operate it, it moves on its own.

To program a wavegear you need to have the internal signal exceed the internal noise threshold of the crystal. When you roll to program one, you add your wavecraft roll to the signal; the signal is simply what the wavegear sees, i.e. the roll the other caster used, minus the noise and range penalties and whatnot.
An unskilled user will typically need someone else to cast the spell (a spirit or a human). But since you have an extra tempestry die, you can use your primary wavecraft die and your secondary tempestry die. So basically you can do both at once. And it's at point blank, so no range penalties apply.

A crystal will need to be powered in order to emit the signal. You can provide it power using Tempestry on the fly--two mandalas pointed at each other will double the gain. Or you can artifice a solution with a battery. The simplest way to go about it would be to use an Ignition which powers itself by consuming mist, but you have 0 skill so maybe it would be wise to ask another to do it. Even a spirit would be better.

I was thinking more along the lines of a blowtorch effect, melting the metamorphic stone so that the stone tiles with the box would be physically stuck within it with the painted side exposed to the air and facing upwards.

Sounds like tempestry, heating them up so they stick together. Be careful not to blast off the paint.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 06, 2018, 06:53:58 pm »

When I speak of Magical Energy though, I refer to my own reserves due to the presence of the Spirits within, specifically.

The trailing dust will provide a target to supply power, and I can keep the initial spell going that way, so it will fly to the finish. All I need is to send that power to it, not send any commands, since the Wavegear will follow it's program to the finish.

So that should serve the energy portion. Casting the initial spell Point-blank is the idea though.

Magic Arrow is Tempestry. It's set up to fly forward, that's it. It will also receive Commands from the Wavegear. That's it's path. And I supply power to the spellwork, that's energy.

Broken down it's Artifice, Wavegear/Tempestry, and Tempestry. Simple enough.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 06, 2018, 07:00:43 pm »

When I speak of Magical Energy though, I refer to my own reserves due to the presence of the Spirits within, specifically.

The trailing dust will provide a target to supply power, and I can keep the initial spell going that way, so it will fly to the finish. All I need is to send that power to it, not send any commands, since the Wavegear will follow it's program to the finish.

So that should serve the energy portion. Casting the initial spell Point-blank is the idea though.

Magic Arrow is Tempestry. It's set up to fly forward, that's it. It will also receive Commands from the Wavegear. That's it's path. And I supply power to the spellwork, that's energy.

Broken down it's Artifice, Wavegear/Tempestry, and Tempestry. Simple enough.

Ah, so it's like Wunderkatze' wire-guided magic missile idea.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14