Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21752 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game [Recruiting]
« Reply #120 on: September 05, 2018, 01:29:21 pm »

What box? Thought that was until we started?

No really, where is it? Wasn't the marble block in front of us? How are we supposed to move something painted on the ground, Dig it up?

Is that quartz supposed to be the box? I mean, that doesn't make much sense to me. What happens if you grind it to dust? Technically, you will be in it if it's spread around you.

Plan is as thus, pulverize the stone and quartz, then use Mandalas to boost my flight, taking the entire thing with me.

There won't be a box when I'm done, so staying in it is superfluous. there isn't one.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 01:43:33 pm by TricMagic »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 05, 2018, 02:22:34 pm »

The box is a square painted on the ground. You're supposed to not step outside of it during the test.

The marble block is on a pedestal, but it's not fixed to anything.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 05, 2018, 02:27:55 pm »

Wait. So this is an artifice test? What the hell.

There goes one advantage. Have to see if that level 3 spirit wouldn't mind helping for a bit of my magical energy.

So, just to be sure, we won't be crossing the finish line. Or moving from this spot?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 02:29:41 pm by TricMagic »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 05, 2018, 02:33:48 pm »

Nope. You need to stay inside the box the whole test. Tempestry might still come in handy here.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 05, 2018, 02:41:00 pm »

Right, speak with the level 3 spirit, and offer up my magical energy as a price for it's assistance.

Once I have that, I'll turn the stone into a simple wavegear circuit, and the rest into a Mandala composite. I can have the Spirit transmit my magic, and we can take it to the goal that way.

I mean, it's theoretically simple. Be easier if I didn't need to remote cast though. I'm not going to be able to cast any spells at that range.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 05, 2018, 03:12:31 pm »

Once I have that, I'll turn the stone into a simple wavegear circuit, and the rest into a Mandala composite. I can have the Spirit transmit my magic, and we can take it to the goal that way.

Mandalas are not physical objects, they are loosely speaking a type of very short-lived ignition. They're basically magical "stuff" floating in the air. Their sole purpose is to amplify neurally-emitted signals so they fall under Tempestry.

For a wavegear to hold the crystal I imagine you want to program it with a telekinetic levitation effect (fairly common knowledge, your character certainly knows it). Typically you'll need an engram crystal for this, something with the property of being magically active and taking on the form of whatever magic is focused into it, so that when activated by its user it repeats the magic it was programmed with.

I imagine that the spirit, being Lv. 3, would be worse off than your Tempestry Lv. 5. However there might be a better way for you to put its Lv. 3 magic to use.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 05, 2018, 03:24:24 pm »

Spirits allow recasting at their position. So that means I'm not fighting for bandwidth with the others, since my control will be just as good as if it's right next to me. And since it's level 3, that's a good trade.

Also, this material is literally swimming in mist. So using it to amplify my circle diameter will be useful.

Just wait, I have the perfect spell for this stuff. First things first though, speaking with the spirit itself.

Spiritseeing to contract the spirit to recast the spells, a bit of tempestry spellwork to infuse it as my mist, then use it as the cost/material for a mandala, boosting the success of it. That mandala is used to transmit power to the spirit so it can use it in the recast spell, no amplification needed. That's the important part of a successful contract. To be mindful of the spirit's limits.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:32:57 pm by TricMagic »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 05, 2018, 03:41:11 pm »

Spirits allow recasting at their position. So that means I'm not fighting for bandwidth with the others, since my control will be just as good as if it's right next to me. And since it's level 3, that's a good trade.

My description of Spiritseeing may have been vaguer than I had thought. The idea is that you have to roll your own die to communicate to the spirit. This would get affected by distance, noise, etc. Then it will cast a copy of the spell. Point being, your other skills still aid you even when using spirits. Yes, noise is a problem. There might be a solution to that though. Go ask a professor? ;)

You can use:
-Wavecraft: Instruct the spirit to echo a spell cast with a wavegear. You fire the wavegear at the spirit and the spirit will rebroadcast the message (or make a mandala of its own, perhaps).
-Tempestry: Like above, but with your bare hands, or perhaps with a mandala.
-Spiritseeing: You can use your spiritseeing die to try and communicate with the spirit as well, if you are worse off with the other two means.
-Harmony: Practice with the spirit, and have it learn the spell you want it to cast. Then you can have it cast the spell all on its own without rolling to communicate. Just give it a visual or auditory cue like IcyTea's character. ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 03:43:09 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2018, 03:47:17 pm »

Might just be better using my own spirits in that case. They at least already know my spellwork.

Well, at the moment, I just want to converse with the Lv.3 spirit. Nothing more than conversation now. Maybe get a hint on the type of speeds he sees from this event.

Right, Encode the directions into the material, then cast a fire and forget it spell, that seems the best. Sagitta Magic should do the tric.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 04:01:07 pm by TricMagic »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2018, 08:09:48 pm »

Okay, I don't grok how rolls work.

Also, can you once and for all write down the definitive event rules?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2018, 11:55:10 pm »

Can spirits activate wavegears?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2018, 01:18:35 am »

Can spirits activate wavegears?

Yes. They can cast any spell a human can. But they're not considered humans, so they can participate in the test.

Okay, I don't grok how rolls work.

Also, can you once and for all write down the definitive event rules?

Your level is your combined potential and learning. Higher level = bigger dice (each level is +2 sides, lowest is a d4).
Generally speaking you pass on a 2+, but distance increases the value you need to roll, as does ambient noise such as random spirits filling the room, radio life, and other people having recently used magic.

Rules:
1) You must stay within the red box during the whole test
Addendum: As long as you are standing within a red box the entire time, this rule is not violated
2) The crystal inside the marble block must cross the finish line (intact, presumably)
3) You may enlist help and resources from any source, however humans are not allowed to participate in the test with you.
Spirits are allowed to participate with you.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2018, 05:53:29 am »

How difficult would it be to make a jamming ignition to create a lot of magical noise to simulate the conditions of the exam, for the purpose of testing the vehicles? How difficult would it be to shut such an ignition down? Would it be possible to key it to only affect a very focused area, such as only the caster's track, so as to avoid disrupting others' practice and testing? While it would be poor sportsmanship to do so, do the exam's rules forbid jamming other prospects on purpose?

I'd also like feedback on the initial design I posted in the IC thread.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2018, 06:54:53 am »

I meanwhile, am planning on a self-propagating spell. Which honestly falls under a Tempestry Igniton-OR-Artifice mix. eh.

To note, I have quite a bit of knowledge on Energy from Spell training, so it should be impossible to build an elemental body if he says no.

{Put it this way, either I can't go that route and just use my spellwork, or I can and the Spirit races for me. In which case I'll need to teach it a spell or two to use.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:06:01 am by TricMagic »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2018, 07:42:06 am »

Hold on. We were told that there are no hidden rules. The exact wording implies that humans can join you provided that you do not ask them to.

"Anything else you do to the block is legal, except asking another human to enter the race. You have the whole academy's resources available to you. The path to the professors' offices are to the back of the hall,"
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14