Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game - OOC  (Read 21713 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antinomy of the Five Spectra - Another Magic University Game [Recruiting]
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2018, 07:06:02 pm »

Is he actually thinking about physical wires?

I mean, it is pretty simple, remove the noise issue entirely by having everything set up in advance.

Still waiting for whatever the spirit's response is. Are we done with the Conversation for now?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2018, 07:36:12 pm »

Is he actually thinking about physical wires?

I'm guessing it's like a wire guided missile.

Still waiting for whatever the spirit's response is. Are we done with the Conversation for now?

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=172001.msg7848495#msg7848495

Is a device that converts Noise to energy feasible?  Since, after all, there's going to be a lot of it.

In radio terms, not really. If everyone is using different frequencies then it's really difficult to design a super-broadband antenna that can pick up all of those signals.

However, the mist already does that to passively generate energy from radio waves. Which is why radio communication along long distances requires stupendous power.
You can create a device that generates electricity from mist. It's basically Lightning Magic. I.e. you'd create a voltage and somehow have the mist run a current between two electrodes, and then have a voltage regulator to convert it into something usable by electronics.

Engram crystals are not powered by 'electricity' per se, they are powered by electromagnetic radiation. Which still requires moving charges, but they essentially take an AC signal as opposed to a DC signal. Think of an engram crystal as a device which converts a radio signal into a series of pulses, the pulses containing the useful data.
So the basic circuit is a power source (battery/solar/lightning magic/directed antenna with a transmitter somewhere else), and then a system to convert energy into waves (not necessary if you are just feeding radio directly from the antenna) and then the engram crystal at the end, with an optional antenna to focus it.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 07:44:21 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2018, 08:04:20 pm »

Phones..

Anyway, got my first quest. And I haven't even passed the test yet.

To note, the necklace has no special property, other than having been molded like clay into simple jewelry. Unless I somehow crit the basic tempest roll...

Good night all.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2018, 11:31:26 am »

To note, the necklace has no special property, other than having been molded like clay into simple jewelry. Unless I somehow crit the basic tempest roll...

Yeh. The lines between using your primary magic vs. Artifice start to get blurred when your primary magic is highly skilled.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2018, 12:43:02 pm »

Yeh. The lines between using your primary magic vs. Artifice start to get blurred when your primary magic is highly skilled.

Application of Science to Magic kinda fits Negima to a T. Which is where the inspiration comes from, besides ALO. Doesn't help that applying programs to tempestry is a bit easy to do.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2018, 04:23:13 pm »

If there's a specific spell generating noise, can I use that?

(cough the barriers cough)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2018, 08:20:36 pm »

If there's a specific spell generating noise, can I use that?

(cough the barriers cough)

Noise is different from an actual signal. Yes, you can convert a known signal into energy, provided you build an antenna that resonates with the frequency (easy to do)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2018, 01:02:08 am »

Okay, that bit of exploration done, it's time to get parts.  Into the workshop!

...wait, I have another idea.  How long is the course and how much rope could I make from the vines?

1. Read the intro to the campus/workshops area in Roll 1 (in case you haven't already. I just don't want to copy paste that whole thing)

2. You could make a lot of rope. The vines are the walls of the Flowering Hall itself.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2018, 02:51:16 am »

No, you called out a specific thing as a workshop.  What's in there?

Okay, so I have a plan Z, at least, which is "make a whole bunch of rope and just pull the thing".  If I haven't accomplished any other plans, that is my plan.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 01:49:16 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2018, 08:00:10 am »

You can't leave the square at the start of the race, so good luck with that.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2018, 08:08:21 am »

You could put a pulley system at the finish line so that pulling a rope moves your thing forward.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2018, 08:13:05 am »

I will snap that thing on purpose then. If it doesn't snap itself.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 09, 2018, 12:34:23 pm »

No, you called out a specific thing as a workshop.  What's in there?

Okay, so I have a plan Z, at least, which is "make a whole bunch of rope and just pull the thing".

Oh no, what I meant is not that I had answered your question already, but that I wasnt sure if you had read it since your action wasn't quoted in that part of the post. Next roll I'll have your character find a circuit shop (unless you want to continue doing stuff in the exam room). That being said:

...it's hard to pinpoint where to start. But if you had to guess where to find a workshop, it would be just up ahead, next to a clockwork statue of a man strangling a wyvern. There are wavegears on wooden racks outside the door of every store, people leaving theirs there before shopping. But there are shops with wavegears on the walls and logo, and there are shops with gears, antennas, circuitry, and all sorts of tools.

This is where the first few shops are going to be.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 12:34:29 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 09, 2018, 01:10:00 pm »

I sense a time disparity. Sagitta doesn't take long at all to cast, and I have a few more spells to cast as well queued up. Wind arrows tend to be used more to bind than strike. Though I didn't include binding in this particular formula.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 09, 2018, 01:50:32 pm »

I sense a time disparity. Sagitta doesn't take long at all to cast, and I have a few more spells to cast as well queued up. Wind arrows tend to be used more to bind than strike. Though I didn't include binding in this particular formula.
Are you sure you know what you're doing?  Because I don't think any of this is canonical information.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14