Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 60047 times)

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Spring 1915, Revision Phase
« Reply #645 on: July 19, 2018, 02:49:52 pm »

The VRAC A.1 was made as a fighter bomber so we wouldn't exactly be replacing it if we made a D.H 10 or Vickers. For replacing it a better example would be a Bristol F.2B or a Breguet 14.B2.

Strategy-wise, I'm not sure fighter-bombers are the best choice long-term as opposed to specialized interceptors and bombers.  The Swallow is slated to take the air superiority role and all the research is pointing towards us needing a twin engine bomber for our next project if we really want to sink those ships.  Do we want to have three key roles to have to keep spending projects on (fighter-scout, fighter-bomber, and medium bomber) or save projects/actions by focusing on just two (fighter-scout and medium bomber)?  Game-action-wise, it's much easier to keep two airframes cutting edge as opposed to three.

Of course dice can derail the best of designs, but it just seems more efficient to phase out multirole fighters if we're going to focus on medium bombers.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Spring 1915, Revision Phase
« Reply #646 on: July 19, 2018, 02:53:26 pm »

And what do those machine guns and bombracks have in common? They are limited to a single aircraft and can't be used on all of them. As for your argument conscript, the advantage a fighter bomber has over a medium bomber is simply it can fight off attackers easier, and I don't think we officially stated we are phasing out all light bombers/fighter bombers, especially considering how good the Emu is compared to the kols fighter which was purely made as one.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Verusa Revision Phase, Early Spring 1915

VRAC A.1b "Great Emu"
The VRAC A.1b or Great Emu is a normal VRAC A.1 Emu with the main addition being the new barnett  V 12 engine replacing the old inline straight eight. Attempts to bring the engine up back to 200 hp by using a heavier water cooling system are also to be experimented with but the main goal is to simply put the Barnett in place of the old engine the Emu had to increase its speed and maximum take off weight. If it wasn't obvious, the b in the name has a duel meaning, showing it is the second variant and also can be considered standing for the barnett engine it now uses. It also might stand for bomber, as the craft was considered to be given Bar Shelf AABR, but this was considered as a "if everything else is done and there is still time left" kinda thing.

Efficacy: 4

The VRAC A.1b “Great Emu” is a variant of the Emu, with much of its proposal being dedicated to all the different things the ‘b’ could stand for. It incorporates the Barnett 1915 V12 engine in place of the existing inline engine in the Emu design, improving performance. The Barnett is larger than the old engine, but after accounting for the water-cooling of the old engine, it turns out that the Barnett can still fit within the engine space without major modification. However, this requires that the Barnett engine continue to rely on air-cooling due to the lack of space to install a water-cooling system (and in any case, the Barnett was designed to be air-cooled). As part of the shift to make the Great Emu more bomber than fighter, Bar’s Shelf-AABR racks are also included in the design.

A test flight of a Great Emu reveals that while it does go faster than a regular Emu, it’s also less manoeuvrable, particularly in the pitch axis. For now, the engineers believe this to be due to the added weight of the Barnett 1915 engine as compared to the old straight eight, unbalancing the craft slightly. Nevertheless, the Great Emu flies without issue, and it also now flies with a heavier load, being able to carry up to 450 lb in bombs in its bomb racks.

VRAC A.1b “Great Emu”: A variant of the Emu sporting the air-cooled Barnett 1915 V12 engine in place of the old inline engine. The Great Emu is faster, but less manoeuvrable than a regular Emu, and has a greater bombload of 450 lbs. It also has integrated Bar’s Shelf-AABR bomb racks included to carry said bombs. Cost 6/2

Older Emus can also be converted to the Great Emu airframe, but this will cost 2 PP per squadron to replace the engines and install Bar’s Shelf-AABR bomb racks.

Clown Killi Aerial Torpedo A
The Clown Killi Aerial Torpedo is basically a barracuda torpedo with its fuel slashed down to only 1500 yards and it's explosive charge down to only 300 pounds. The torpedo should be made considerably shorter, and as light as possible without compromising its structural integrity. It should adapt to a series of in-line Bar's Shelf AABR bomb racks, however many are necessary for the weight, with a notch or clamp bar on the top of the torpedo so they fit. Ground crews are encouraged to paint up the torpedoes for with clever slogans for photo ops if they have spare time.

Efficacy: 1

Work on the Clown Killi Aerial Torpedo goes slowly, in part due to the team’s lack of experience in torpedo design. Even with enough fuel taken out to cut its range in half, and the explosive warhead scaled down, the Clown Killi still weighs 1200 pounds, too heavy to be carried by any Sky Crusader aircraft. For now, the weapon is still using a Barracuda torpedo chassis with reduced fuel tanks and warhead but is still the same length. Adjustable clamps for the Bar’s Shelf-AABR are designed to fit the torpedo: although no flights have yet occurred, there shouldn’t be any issues with holding the thing. A few ground crew are called in to think of clever slogans to paint on the Clown Killi, but an annoyed officer recalls them to actual work once he learns what they’re there for. It’s going to take a lot more work to make an air-droppable torpedo.

Clown Killi Aerial Torpedo: The Clown Killi is a Barracuda torpedo with a reduced range (and thus fuel load) of 1500 yards, and a smaller warhead of 300 pounds. Unfortunately, it weighs 1200 lbs, too much for any aircraft to carry yet. It is compatible with Bar’s Shelf-AABR bomb racks but suffers from a complete lack of clever slogans painted on it. Cost 2 PP.

It is now the Production & Deployment Phase, Early Spring 1915. You have 23 production points remaining.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I was hoping for more performance then that, but at least the great emu should be able to run away as fast as one and out run their Equilibrium. Still, it can carry 6 of our current bombs, so it has that going for it at least, and if it proves to be too much of an issue we can make a VRAC A.1c to try and fix those issues. Also, so he can see it, please answer this Cnidaros
So, uhm, cnidaros. Did we not gain any prestige last turn despite the daring raid on the kols navy and being responsible for taking Estwice? I noticed it was still very little...
Anyway, for the actual plan...
Quote from: Plan Calvary Killer
New Purchases.
Crossguard for Squire 1, 2, 3, & 4.
Hawk Eye Camera X2 for Squire 3 & 1
Great Emu Upgrade for Knight 1
Move Bar shelf AABR from Knight 1 to Squire 5

Total cost 8
Maintenance 15
Current pp 23
Remaining 0

Deployment
Northern Front
Our thoughts and prayers

Central Front
Knight 1 & Squire 5 are to Preform Bombing Raids on enemy positions, using photo recon to guide them.
Squire 3 & 1 are to Preform Recon Patrols for both the army and good places to bomb
Knight 2 & 3 along with Squire 2 are to Preform Arial superiority (AKA Offensive Patrols)
Rook 1, 2, & 3 are to Preform Artillery Spotting.

Southern Front
Squire 4 is to Preform Recon Patrols over the south.
Rook 4 Is to Preform Artillery Spotting.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I was hoping for more performance then that, but at least the great emu should be able to run away as fast as one and out run their Equilibrium. Still, it can carry 6 of our current bombs, so it has that going for it at least, and if it proves to be too much of an issue we can make a VRAC A.1c to try and fix those issues. Also, so he can see it, please answer this Cnidaros
So, uhm, cnidaros. Did we not gain any prestige last turn despite the daring raid on the kols navy and being responsible for taking Estwice? I noticed it was still very little...

No you didn't because Estwice was undefended in the air, which means that it isn't that great an achievement to conquer it. The raid was closer though, and further sinkings of Kolechian ships (unambiguously due to air attack) might increase your prestige.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We really need prestige and apparently can't expect to get it easily...arg...well, hopefully our inevitable victory in the center will help with that if we go with my plan...or an event pops up....or something. Actually can I make recruitment posters for prestige? Or can we maybe send our ace back behind front lines for metals and parades?

Edit: an idea to help with sinking ships could be a 100, 150, 200 or 250 pound bomb, or simply a bomb specifically for anti ship purposes. Another thing we should get is a proper bomb sight so we can be more accurate.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:16:03 pm by piratejoe »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well that was predictably underwhelming...

I don't see a particularly good reason to upgrade existing bomber Emus to Great status.  2 PP for 2 more bombs?  What problem does that solve?  Is anyone complaining that the Emu's aren't dropping enough bombs?  Will 2 more bombs solve that?  A good bargain though if we want more bomber Emu's though.

I'm assuming that with their PP boost, we're going to see some more EFM's rolling out this turn.  We must retake Basselton while holding the other two lines.

Plan: Counter EFM Scourge

Summary:  First off, Alderic, "The Winged Savior of Dreidansk," is taking Squire 2 on a limited run public relations tour to up recruitment and sell war bonds (prestige ahoy).  The production budget is going into double-gunning the remaining 3 non-camera Rhinos, with foster mounts and crossguards (6pp) and upgrading Knight 2 into a bomber Great Emu (2pp).  Strategy wise, we're going to hard push the south to retake Basselton (2 fighters, 2 bombers, 1 photorecon, 2 balloons), and hold mid and north with 1 fighter and 1 balloon a piece.

Production

Crossguard while keeping foster gun for Squire 1, 3, 5 (3*2 = 6 pp)
Great Emu Upgrade for Knight 2 (2pp)
Bombs from Squire 5 moved to Knight 2 (free)

Total cost 8
Maintenance 15
Current pp 23
Remaining 0

Deployment

Squire 2 with Ace Alderic will do PR shows

Northern Front:
Squire 1 will perform defensive patrols.
Rook 1 will perform artillery spotting.

Central Front
Squire 3 will peform defensive patrols.
Rook 2 will perform artillery spotting.

Southern Front:
Squire 4 will perform photorecon with an emphasis on identifying land targets for aerial bombardment.
Squire 5 and Knight 3 will perform general air superiority.
Knight 1 and 2 will perform general aerial bombardment as advised by Squire 4's photorecon.
Rook 3 and 4 will perform artillery spotting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:30:24 pm by ConscriptFive »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel like sending squire 2 and our ace away might not be too bad of an idea for pr... I'm not so sure about leaving the center so under defended however as I believe they might try a strong push there, hence why I put so many forces there in my one plan. Also, why make knight 2 a great emu and not knight 1 who probably have more bombing experience.

So have another alternative plan that is the same as my old one but with squire 2 back home for PR with their ace.
Quote from: Plan Calvary Killers Dance
New Purchases.
Crossguard for Squire 1, 2, 3, & 4.
Hawk Eye Camera X2 for Squire 3 & 1
Great Emu Upgrade for Knight 1
Move Bar shelf AABR from Knight 1 to Squire 5

Total cost 8
Maintenance 15
Current pp 23
Remaining 0

Deployment
Squire 2 and Alderic preform PR shows
Northern Front
Our thoughts and prayers

Central Front
Knight 1 & Squire 5 are to Preform Bombing Raids on enemy positions, using photo recon to guide them.
Squire 3 & 1 are to Preform Recon Patrols for both the army and good places to bomb
Knight 2 & 3 are to Preform Arial superiority (AKA Offensive Patrols)

Southern Front
Squire 4 is to Preform Recon Patrols over the south.
Also they have at least 2 Equilibrium fighters at the moment, seeing how last turn mentioned that they where in the north and south, and chances are they will get some more with their extra PP.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 02:40:52 pm by piratejoe »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will not vote for any plan that leaves an entire front without air support, because that is a bad idea that I wish people would stop suggesting already.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why? What good would it do to leave a single aircraft on a front unless its one of our honestly invaluable knight squadrons? All we would be doing is giving them target practice if they have a equilibrium on the front until we make our rhinos able to actually put up a fight or replace them. I hate leaving the frontline unguarded as much as you but at the moment, until next turn at least, we take some and lose some or we just lose some.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

I will not vote for any plan that leaves an entire front without air support, because that is a bad idea that I wish people would stop suggesting already.

Seconded.  Idk how many times we have to be shown it's a phenomenonally bad idea before it stops getting proposed.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think its kinda obvious that if it wasn't the winter, all our squadron in the north would have done was be a bunch of wasted aircraft and pilots on giving the enemy a live action training session. If there is an equilibrium on a front, and only a rhino as defense, the rhino might as well not exist for purposes of actually effecting our enemy. It has been mentioned multiple times it basically eats rhinos for breakfast like our Emu does their feathers.

I know its a bad idea, but its worse to waste squadrons who can be better used for other things...like not give our enemies experience on a silver platter.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:41:45 pm by piratejoe »

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Operation Emu Defense
New Purchases.
Sell Squire 5 & 4+ 3
Sell 1 machine gun & beehive grenades +1
Buy VRAC A.1 "Emu" Knight 4
Buy VRAC A.1b "Great Emu" Knight 5
Buy Hawk Eye camera x1
Equip Squire 1 & Knight 4 with Hawk Eye camera
Equip Bottled Fury Bombs on Knight 5
Transfer Squire 4 pilots to knight 4
Transfer Squire 5 pilots to Knight 5

Total cost 12
Maintenance 15
Current pp 27
Remaining 0

Deployment
Squire 2 and Alderic preform PR shows
Northern Front
Knight 2 is to Preform Airal superiority (Aka Offensive Patrols) if no enemy aircraft, balloon busting, if no enemy aircraft or balloons, Flare Recon Patrol

Central Front
Knight 5 is to Preform Bombing Raids on enemy positions, using photo recon to guide them.
Squire 1 is to Preform Recon Patrols for both the army and good places to bomb
Knight 1 & 3 are to Preform Arial superiority (AKA Offensive Patrols) if no enemy aircraft, 1 goes on Bombing Raids & 3 balloon busting, if no enemy aircraft or balloons, Flare Recon Patrol

Southern Front
Knight 4 is to Preform Recon Patrols over the south.
There, this, or something similar is the only way I will accept deploying only a single squadron anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 07:20:36 pm by piratejoe »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

I think the kols assigned a squad to performing in front of civilians, does anyone know how well that worked out for them? We could do the same with some of our Rhinos that are becoming obsolete, and it will only cost us upkeep (and it can keep our non-rookie pilots available for putting it better planes later too).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually that gives me a thought. Can we have our pilots do training exercises?
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 58