Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 59981 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually that gives me a thought. Can we have our pilots do training exercises?
Probably?

I know its a bad idea, but its worse to waste squadrons who can be better used for other things...like not give our enemies experience on a silver platter.
How useful the squadron is is secondary to not having the army trying to choke us to death out of sheer infuriated rage. Which is what leaving them without air cover will result in. We really really don't want/can't afford the prestige hits from the outraged generals talking nastily about us to everyone they can.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile

I don't think they will yell unless the enemy does a major push where we don't have any aircraft, or if they take a city and they feel we didn't do enough. Still, I believe you get my point, and I think some things make up for our losses. Still, I'd rather have inexperienced pilots sent to die then rookie (AKA actually somewhat skilled) pilots sent to die.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually that gives me a thought. Can we have our pilots do training exercises?
Probably?

If you mean dedicating a squadron entirely to training and not to any front, then yes. Experience gain would be higher than if the squadron was engaged in combat against a perfectly equal enemy (remember, when both sides are perfectly matched, exp goes up slowly for both sides). This is balanced out by the fact that a training squadron would not be contributing to the war effort while still costing upkeep, and by the fact that experience is lost whenever a squadron transits to a new airframe, depending on how much it differs from the old one.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

I don't think they will yell unless the enemy does a major push where we don't have any aircraft,

How can you possibly fucking know where the enemy is putting aircraft

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We can't, and I don't...Thats the issue...Luckily, I believe that even if they do such a thing, at least in the north, if its like what we did last turn it will not reach Demisonne...In the south however, I'm not as sure. Still, I'm quite sure this turn they will push center considering how they don't need to have too much of an advantage to take the city back and how they lost an entire city because they weren't there to say hello. So really, if our generals get pissed at losing a little bit of ground because we didn't deploy anything, their generals would be absolutely livid.

Also are you okay? You seem a bit...hostile.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile

I am annoyed that you seem adamant to leave sectors of the map vulnerable to the exact same thing that happened to the Kol's last turn.  I'm frustrated that your arguments rely on predicting the enemy tactics and suspicious that your proposed plans - in hindsight - seem to match perfectly against the enemy's for the past two or three turns.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...You do know that I made the deployment plan before the strategy phase, right? (Well, the original one, the one where I buy 2 emu's and sell 2 rhinos is new and made as a compromise) I do recall even telling you of that plan when I came up with it on discord. Also, the flight of the emu plan, the one I made two turns (Early winter) ago that we voted for didn't exactly do to well considering they deployed forces in the south that blew up our balloons and bombed our lines while the forces in the center stalemated. The only thing we gained that turn was a few bits of land in the north due to our sky eyes. If I was to remake that plan with the knowledge of their deployments, I would have sent an emu to the center front and the southern front for areal superiority and in other words, abandoned the northern front. As for three turns (Late Autumn) ago, the plan we voted up was your plan and mine wasn't too different outside not believing they would strike the south (they didn't so that prediction was right) and having a single squadron defend the north instead of leaving it completely unprotected.(Which probably would have softened the blow but not much else) So, you are either just saying that they seem to match perfectly because of this one plan, or you don't remember what has happened in the past.

You also need to recognize that if we leave a single squadron there, it literally wont do anything but leave their air superiority fighters with a few extra kills and they would gain the same kind of superiority in the air as if we had nothing at all if we used Rhino's to do that job. Yes, I'm trying to predict our enemy's movements, but that's the only way we will be able to defend our gains and push forward as they will certainty have a numerical advantage soon if they don't already with that extra PP. We can afford to lose ground, just not cities. And I feel its more important to push the center and solidify our gains there before going off trying to thinly defend everything instead of properly defending and attacking a few places.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 05:22:08 pm by piratejoe »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If we're going to metagame that hard, why don't we just make a truce with the KPAF, where we each openly declare one lane to attack so we can avoid each other?

Surely the GM won't punish us for breaking roleplay/simulation that hard.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, I made a compromise that sent Emu's to protect our flanks. At least they unlike Rhino's can actually do something if there is a EFM there...well...something other then have their wings shot off, engine damaged, engine lit on fire, pilot sniped...you get the idea.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile

If we're going to metagame that hard, why don't we just make a truce with the KPAF, where we each openly declare one lane to attack so we can avoid each other?

Surely the GM won't punish us for breaking roleplay/simulation that hard.

I'd actually agree to this, lol. We could stage a major air battle with the enemy for fun.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Quote from: Vote Container
Counter EFM Scourge (1): Happerry
So the plans are out, time to get to voting.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Counter EFM Scourge (1): Happerry
Operation Emu Defense (1): Piratejoe
The reason Emu defense is superior is that unlike Rhinos, Emu's can actually put up a fight against the Equilibrium, so, if nothings changed since last turn, if they have 1 EFM on aerial superiority against 1 Emu, at worst they would have a minor advantage in the air, instead of a full major one.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well we're probably going to get clobbered dogfighting the next two-three turns while we're waiting for the Swallow to roll out.  I'm mostly interested to see how well the double-gunned Rhino's do.  If the Kols finally fixed the EFM (either the synch gear or a 100 hp engine) our Emu's are going to be outmatched air-to-air anyways.  Tracers would be nice, but there still should be some Feathers to play with at least. 

Counter EFM Scourge (2): Happerry, ConscriptFive
Operation Emu Defense (1): Piratejoe

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fixed? There was something wrong with the EFM other then the synch gear? Or are you just saying that because it isn't that much faster than our Emu's and cant kill them like it can the Rhino's its clearly broken? Because if its the latter, that's not how monoplanes in this time period work...

Edit: And what do you mean clobbered? The Emu does an okay job against the EFM, the only reason they did better last time was because they had better pilots, tracer ammo, and an extra squadron of cannon fodder, and even then they only had a minor advantage...Also, if you think we are going to get beaten so badly, why send only 1 squadron of inferior Rhinos to two locations all by themselves? Thats just asking for it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:25:26 am by piratejoe »

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By all accounts, the EFM is still their first turn project.  And for their first turn project they went straight for a monoplane with a synch gear.  Since release, they've spent their revisions on tracers, parachutes, and cameras: AKA not the EFM.  We both started with 5-cylinder rotary engines, maybe doing 60hp?  As you surely remember from the Afro vs. Euro Swallow discussion, monoplanes suck unless you put a powerful engine in there.  The EFM probably has a sub 100 hp engine, and combined with its "rudimentary" synch gear, explains why their first turn fighter project wasn't completely annihilating a first turn fighter-bomber project.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 58