Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 58

Author Topic: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Early Summer 1916, Production Phase  (Read 59976 times)

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile

How do we know they didn't spend revisions on the EFM? The turns never exactly stated "Oh by the way, they spent a revision on a new aircraft they haven't produced yet" which I should mention they didn't do when we where revising our Emu to cost less. For all we know, they spent four revisions on the thing, or maybe just one. Also, considering the EFM seems like a Fokker E.III and the Emu is based on a F.E 2b, lets assume they have the same speed as the thing they where based off of. This would mean the Emu is 147 KmH at sea level, and 132 KmH at 2000 meters. The Equilibrium, if it was like the Fokker E.III would be 142 KmH at sea level, and 123 KmH at 2000 meters. In other words, the Emu would actually be faster. Considering the engine that the Greater Emu has contains the same Horse power as the one the FE 2b has, we could assume that it would be faster even if they did have a 100 HP engine on their craft.

Regardless, if we put in another revision on the Emu to make it maneuverable with the new engine by fixing the weight issues, I think we would outclass the EFM if they didn't copy us and spend a turn improving their aircraft.

Also, felt like mentioning this, but the Euro swallow has both thicker wing roots and wire bracing...so the advantage it has in less drag is reduced...I think we should spend a revision to remove the wire braving if the wing roots can handle it.
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Hey ya'll. Joining this side.

What's up? Also can we do cat-planes?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Carriers aren't really a thing yet, so there are no plane cat-apults.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

Quote from: Vote Container
Counter EFM Scourge (3): Happerry, ConscriptFive, Sensei
Operation Emu Defense (1): Piratejoe

There, I voted.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile

Quote from: Vote Container
Counter EFM Scourge (3): Happerry, ConscriptFive, Sensei
Operation Emu Defense (2): Piratejoe, FallacyofUrist
We'll see where this goes.
~~~
Anybody up for some more creative designs? Maybe... zeppelins? Zeppelins that can launch other planes?
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile

I do love the idea, but realistically I think what we need after the fighter we're already working on is a multiple-engine bomber... and a winged one will probably do better than a lighter-than-air one.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome aboard!  Right now we've got a metal-framed twin-gunned fighter, the European Swallow, just started as a project.  That's probably going to take up another 2-3 design phases.

However, also for design phase we get to requisition an item from the Army or Navy.  Keep in mind that it's early war, and we're a tertiary nation.  A turn ago we tried to req a trench periscope, and the Army refused as it wasn't a standardized item (yet).

After that is revision phase,  we're probably going to get about two revisions.  They can be an improvement to existing tech (fixing a specific problem on an airplane), or a more generalized one (like developing tracer rounds or parachutes).

Right now we're wrapping up the strategy-production phase, where we try not to murder each other over arithmetic and meta-gaming.

piratejoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Obscure References and Danmaku everywhere.
    • View Profile

I don't see how what I'm doing is meta gaming, unless you consider using aircraft that stand an actual chance against EFM's to cover our flanks is metagaming
Battleships Hurl insults from behind thick walls, Destroyers beat up small children, Carriers stay back in the kitchen, and Cruisers are a bunch of tryhards who pretend to be loners.

Thanik

• Bay Watcher
  • I'd rather be a rising ape than a falling angel.
    • View Profile

I feel like people are neglecting the use of the Great Emu as a boom-and-zoom superiority fighter, in which I think it would do better than the EFM. We only know it'd be less maneuverable than the standard Emu, but we know the Emu is more maneuverable than the EFM, so the lower maneuverability could in fact match their main bleeding edge fighter.

Just my 2 cents.
Noble Nafuni Engineer

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knights of the Skies: Verusa Thread - Late Spring 1915, Design Phase
« Reply #684 on: July 30, 2018, 08:34:41 am »

Design Phase, Late Spring 1915

Squire 2 of Rhinos and Squire 4 of Rhino-Ps, along with Rook 1 and 2 of Sky Eyes have reached Regular experience level. Knight 1 and Knight 2 of Emus have reached Rookie experience level.

On the northern front, the generals are mostly appreciative of the job the Sky Crusaders are doing at the moment. While the Kolechians have a distinct advantage in planes here, the spotter balloons have been useful in holding back their advance so far. With the critical situation in the central plains, the army has no intentions of advancing here in the next months, and will instead focus on holding the line.

In the centre, there is panic at the large numbers of EFMs in the skies overhead. The generals are united in their calls for more fighters to be sent to this front as soon as possible. The situation has taken a turn for the worse with the fall of Dreidansk: the main supply lines to Estwice have been cut, but there are still sufficient supplies in the city to hold out for a turn or two. In the upcoming months, the army is planning an immediate offensive to retake Dreidansk and reopen the road to Estwice. Support squadrons for this offensive are also sought for.

On Okinso, the marines and navy are reasonably happy with the quick recapture of Basselton. They hope to push up the Kodemo Trail again in the coming months, along with retaking the headland between Basselton and Livomir. The enhanced bombing efforts courtesy of the new Great Emu planes were useful in the combat around Basselton, but the Kolechian navy is still carrying out sporadic raids with the aid of their naval balloon squadron. If there are spare aircraft, the navy requests that a squadron be dedicated to shooting down these relatively defenceless balloons, or for naval search duties, although the endurance of a Rhino is not quite enough to effectively perform the latter.

Despite the currently warm relations with the army, there are rumours that the army may be looking to assert more control over certain aspects of the Sky Crusaders in the coming months. However, for the time being these rumours cannot yet be confirmed.

There is also the matter of the possible Midako deal to consider. For now, the Midako are asking only for the blueprints of the basic Rhino model, without weapons. In return, they offer 1 PP for the next two turns.

The guards from the Department of Security have set up a security check at the aerodrome’s entrance, annoying many workers. Meanwhile, their agent-in-charge has taken over a couple of the back rooms as his office, installing a rather ostentatious bookshelf and mahogany desk in one of them.

High command has increased your budget by 3 PP, as the country devotes more factories to war.

Spoiler: Projects (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs and Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Squadrons (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Equipment (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Statistics (click to show/hide)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 30, 2018, 08:55:18 am »

Plan: Faster
3 Dice/6 PP to L.E. Swallow
3 Rush/6 PP to L.E. Swallow

2 Dice held in reserve to fix bugs

We will have 1 PP left over, but we will be poised to start building next turn. L.E. Swallow takes an average of ~5 Dice to complete, so we may get lucky and not need the third rush.

Also, any idea on how to use "Daring" in combat?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:49:58 am by evictedSaint »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 30, 2018, 11:30:17 am »

We've used daring quite a bit already, usually in bombing runs such as when one of our planes flew low and fast to drop a bomb down an enemy ship's smoke stack and blew it up. Anything that's a little crazy and takes a lot of stupitidy and bravery to attempt we get a bonus to it so we could have our pilots play chicken with enemy planes or other such things to make more use of daring.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 30, 2018, 01:09:53 pm »

Does inverting your plane waving a saber to try and slash a parachutist not count as daring?  (Bonus points if you don't get the chute and risers wrapped around an aileron.)

Hmm, not sure I like the gamble on the production rush.  That's a lot of PP to throw down the drain with the risk of having to spend revisions anyways.  Not sure what we could do with that 1 PP remainder.  Install a camera? The KPAF is apparently delaying bombing, so now we're developing an air superiority problem.  Seems like a bad time to push a squadron off air superiority to photo-recon.

What about just three dice for production?

13 PP - (3*2PP) = 7 PP  If we +1 PP from Midako, that's just enough (8 PP) to put out one more Great Emu Squadron and still afford the maint on it.  Swap the bombs off Knight 1, and we'll have a total of 2 fighter emus and 2 bomber emus.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:28:35 pm by ConscriptFive »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 30, 2018, 01:35:08 pm »

Air superiority is hurting us. I'm not sure d et laying another turn on our superiority fighter is a good idea ...

Maybe 2 rushed dice? That, plus the +1, is 4PP

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 30, 2018, 01:40:56 pm »

Plan: Faster
3 Dice/6 PP to L.E. Swallow
3 Rush/6 PP to L.E. Swallow

2 Dice held in reserve to fix bugs

I should point out that 'rush' dice don't cost any PP! This is balanced out by the fact that you can't rush more dice than you are paying for, and each has a 50% chance of introducing a bug into the project.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 58